PDA

View Full Version : The 3 G's

Rance Fan
03-05-2009, 09:35 PM
The 3 G's are struggling!!

Griffen - trying hard but not dominating
Gilbee - Struggling to make an impact
Gia - just mediocre

Are these guys injured? Getting tagged heavily? (maybe griff)
We need these guys firing. Any suggestions i what needs to be done?
I think maybe Gia or Gibee needs to be dropped...make a statement!
They are senior players not doing enough over the last weeks weeks.

Thoughts?

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Perhaps Gia may be the 2009 Nick Del Santo dropping this week?

Mantis
03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Perhaps Gia may be the 2009 Nick Del Santo dropping this week?

Will dropping him make him run faster..... He is seriously slow!!!

aker39
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Gilbee has been shocking this year.

So many times tonight, his opponent just ran off him to make space. He had no accountability.

What do we do with him?

lemmon
03-05-2009, 10:02 PM

So many times tonight, his opponent just ran off him to make space. He had no accountability.

What do we do with him?

Play him on a half forward flank?

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Will dropping him make him run faster..... He is seriously slow!!!
What's the answer Mantis?

For a future captain as many seem to tout, his 2009 is pretty forgetable at this stage.

Scorlibo
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM

What do we do with him?

Him and Griffen need some support from their teammates, Gilbee is arguably as important to us as Ablett is to Geelong, so we should be trying to free him up just as determinedly.

aker39
03-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Him and Griffen need some support from their teammates, Gilbee is arguably as important to us as Ablett is to Geelong, so we should be trying to free him up just as determinedly.

Yes they need support, but when it's their turn to be defensive, they don't seem to be able to do it. (or don't want to)

Mantis
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
What's the answer Mantis?

For a future captain as many seem to tout, his 2009 is pretty forgetable at this stage.

No definitive answers from me.

He just looks slow out there and his skills aren't as silky as we are all lead to believe, bit of a career defining patch coming up for Gia I feel.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:16 PM
No definitive answers from me.

He just looks slow out there and his skills aren't as silky as we are all lead to believe, bit of a career defining patch coming up for Gia I feel.
I'm a bit the same boat, i just hope we knows to take the Wells Road exit to get into the Frankston Oval.

I think senior players have to be held accountable, and he has under performed in numerous matches. Time to go to Willi and tear it up and demand the resoect back I think. I think one could argue he is in the top 3 passengers at the moment.

Scorlibo
03-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes they need support, but when it's their turn to be defensive, they don't seem to be able to do it. (or don't want to)

Maybe if they didn't have to work so doggedly to win the ball themselves, they'd both be more inclined and have more energy to do their job defensively.

aker39
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Maybe if they didn't have to work so doggedly to win the ball themselves, they'd both be more inclined and have more energy to do their job defensively.

Yes, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go and get your own ball, or in Gilbee's case, at least stop your opponent getting it.

azabob
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Maybe back to basics for Gilbee and Griffen.
Put Gilbee back to the BP and have Griffen coming off the HBF.

Sedat
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Griffen has been outstanding in 2 games, above average in 2 games and average in 2 games - no cause for alarm there at all. Once Cooney is up and running, Griffen will only continue to provide quality midfield drive for us. He can certainly improve his defensive output but he has at least tried to take the mantle as our most attacking midfield option head-on with limited support.

The irony with Gia is that he had no pre-season last yeat but had an outstanding season - this year he's had a terrific pre-season but has been a very poor players in 5 of the 6 games so far. He is rising 28, so the next few weeks are definitely crucial to his career longevity.

Gilbee is now (alongside Griffen and Cooney when fit) one of the first names penciled in for heavy defensive treatment by the opposition. So far he has been totally unable to handle the defensive attention he is receiving. Diligent workhorses like Carrazzo and McQualter are working him beautifully in the other direction, at the same time nullifying his greatest strengths. IMO he is simply not working hard enough to break the shackles, and needs to be constantly on the move to provide the run and carry that we desperately need. Doesn't matter whether he is midfield or half-back, he will get strong attention from the opposition, so he simply needs to work harder.