PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldog vs Cats

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 07:41 AM
This is the discussion thread for todays game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go with Robbins

firstdogonthemoon
01-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Nathan - Gia will kick the first behind.

Topdog
01-04-2007, 08:37 AM
The Griff to kick the first and us to win by 20 points.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Johnson will get our first, I'm so excited...I wish it was 1.30 already.

bornadog
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Darcy to kick the first

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Very impressed with Wight. New guys McD and Aker pretty quiet. Higgins look likes a pro. Minson's ruckwork has improved.

Pretty happy with that win.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Very impressed with Wight. New guys McD and Aker pretty quiet. Higgins look likes a pro. Minson's ruckwork has improved.

Pretty happy with that win.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the result. We outplayed them by far more than 20 points and really we need to finish team off.
Johnson was sensational today plus there was a number of other Dogs that dominated.
Like you I was very happy with Wight and he will benefit from Grant and Harris returning to the back line as well.
Akermanis was quiet by his standards but that goal was superb. McDougall went OK but as you say he was on the quiet side.

Cross, McMahon, Gilbee, West, Boyd, Cooney and a host of others really did perform well.

The back line was tested but did OK.

LostDoggy
01-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Minson's ruckwork has improved.

Your short memory is the problem.
From the first bounce he found someone, exerted his body and was back to late 2005 form.
Understand Geelong's Blake is pretty inexperienced and Darcy in the side helps him.
The main thing is Minson has had a full pre season and isn't injured yet which helps.

Minson and Darcy (with McD helping) are enough rucks at the moment and its only if one is injured or needs rest then Street or Skipper can come into calculation

LostDoggy
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the result. We outplayed them by far more than 20 points and really we need to finish team off.
Agree but its early days.
They tried to stretch us late with 4 tall forwards and Gilbee was a mismatch for N Ablett. A fit Monty would have restricted them. They also flooded late and a few little mistakes cost us. A couple of easy misses and some iffy frees against.

A win is a win.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
This is probably only applicable to the Melbourne based supporters but wasn't the footy record just the worst today? Given the squad is announced on Thursday and we played on Sunday how can they name a team and have Harris listed as the FB?
On top of that they did not include Darcy, Giansiracusa and Murphy as well

LostDoggy
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3438/cuba862or7.jpg

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Well done Ms B :D Lets hope there is many more of them displayed on the forum during the season.

southerncross
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
This is probably only applicable to the Melbourne based supporters but wasn't the footy record just the worst today? Given the squad is announced on Thursday and we played on Sunday how can they name a team and have Harris listed as the FB?

The record itself was good but the part where you record the goal kickers and quarter by quarter scores had some glaring problems.

alwaysadog
01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Johnson was sensational today plus there was a number of other Dogs that dominated.
Like you I was very happy with Wight and he will benefit from Grant and Harris returning to the back line as well.
Akermanis was quiet by his standards but that goal was superb. McDougall went OK but as you say he was on the quiet side.

Cross, McMahon, Gilbee, West, Boyd, Cooney and a host of others really did perform well.

The back line was tested but did OK.

Our outs and their outs about cancel each other, so an interesting demonstration of our various strengths especially as Geelong play a bit like us, run and quick movement. They were competitive in the first quarter but WWBiscuit turned to me at that point and said" I know we have the depth to keep this up Geelong don't and so it proved to be. Before the game I would have settled for a 10 point victory. We looked good, they never threatened after the first quarter, so I'm pretty happy, but I don't think we're quite there yet GVG.

That's why we didn't finish them off. We eased slightly. Geelong aren't bad, but we seem on today's form to have opened a gap on them.

DR had better be careful. It's not proven yet, but if Wight keeps on improving at the rate he showed today, then he needs to prepare for the taste of humble pie about Clayton's inability to draft talls.

BulldogBelle
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Yes, what a pain that was. They also forgot to put McDougall on there aswell.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Personally I thought Higgins was pretty average today, he did some nice things, but just didn't seem to get too involved that often. Maybe it was just me. He did look good at times with how he used the ball.

Overall great start to the season. The junk time goals that the Cats kicked made the scoreboard more respectable than it should have been, but overall I'll take 4 points for sure. Next week against Adelaide is going to be a ripper.

southerncross
01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Personally I thought Higgins was pretty average today, he did some nice things, but just didn't seem to get too involved that often. Maybe it was just me. He did look good at times with how he used the ball.

While I agree he was quiet today did you see that scoop up at full tilt in the first quarter? It was almost Hawkins like.

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
While I agree he was quiet today did you see that scoop up at full tilt in the first quarter? It was almost Hawkins like.

Yes, that was amazing.

Topdog
01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
The Griff to kick the first and us to win by 20 points.

Do I win anything for this?

Forget almost, it was Hawkins all over again.

Great win and fantastic to be back at the footy. I was so excited to be back! So much has changed in the 3 years I've been away and just seeing so much red, white and blue was really unbelievable.

Cross is brilliant, Cooney played very very well and Gia had a great 1st 3 qtrs. Thought Power did fairly well but he seemed to lose his footing a lot esp. in the first half. And Cameron White, take a bow son! Very well played and made Ottens look 2nd rate (some may argue he is).

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Do I win anything for this?

I'll send you a WOOF cap in a couple of week :)

Great win and fantastic to be back at the footy. I was so excited to be back! So much has changed in the 3 years I've been away and just seeing so much red, white and blue was really unbelievable.

Cross is brilliant, Cooney played very very well and Gia had a great 1st 3 qtrs. Thought Power did fairly well but he seemed to lose his footing a lot esp. in the first half. And Cameron White, take a bow son! Very well played and made Ottens look 2nd rate (some may argue he is).

I keep forgetting that you have been starved of your footy for a few seasons now.

I was pleased that our effort was based on a number of the lesser lights like Wight, Boyd and Power plus the brilliant run of McMahon and Eagleton.
Getting Darcy and Murphy back is a big bonus plus Akermanis is still a couple of weeks off being at his best.

Perfect day weather wise, good crowd and a win tops off a nice Sunday.

BulldogBelle
01-04-2007, 09:46 PM
plus Akermanis is still a couple of weeks off being at his best.

Next week against Adelaide will be Aker's 250th game, I bet he will try extremely hard to make it a memorable game.

dog town
01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Spent most of my day fighting one of the worst hangovers in recent memory. Thought we pretty much had them covered all day and was dissapointed we didn't really drive it home. Highlight was getting a doggies towel off Cooney for my bar.

Our tackling and defensive pressure was pretty telling IMO and we closed them down really well. Clearances were also good although I am not sure of the stats. We were not clean enough with our forward 50 entries early but the pressure eventually got to the cats defenders.

Darcy- Short of a gallop today. Bit off with his decision making and woeful below his knees but still able to have an influence. Just about the recruit of the year for us with his rucking and forward play. Loved his clever tap work especially up forward where he is going to create alot of problems. His presence helped Minson today as well. Marking and below the knees stuff will get better every week.

Cross-Was absolutely brilliant. Played mostly on a wing and ran himself to a stand still .Brilliant with his hands and got back to help out the defence time after time. Took 3 or 4 very gutsy marks. Has a 6th sense for knowing where his mates are.

Johnson- Getting smarter every game. Ran Scarlett all over the place early then dragged Harley deep. Never known someone to kick so accurately when right on the edge of his distance. Rarely misses from just outside 50 even though it probably as far as he can kick.

Cooney- Pleasantly surprised with his output and did seem in reasonable condition. Very naturally smart footballer and lead very cleverly when up forward.

Mcmahon- Murdered them on the rebound and was pretty good defensively to.

Gilbee- Same as Mcmahon. Used his big leap well to spoil as well. Taller opponents would actually be better off running him around so that when the kick does come in he cant get that standing jump. When he does get done in the air it is when he has been turned around and is slightly out of position. If they bomb the ball up he can really wind up and get a big leap in.

Wight- Pretty impressive. Well and truly beat Ottens when on him but probably struggled on Ablett when Ottens was in the ruck. Did some very brave things and got front position as often as possible. Thought he showed great intent early by trying to run off Ottens.

Aker- Seemed 2 or 3 steps off where he needed to be at most contests. Hasn't played alot of footy so will be better for the run. Like to get him one out more often and maybe more onto the wing rather than half forward.

Power- Good but not great. Got plenty of it but made some decision making errors. Looks uncomfortable close to the opposition goal particularly in the air but ran off really well when we had the footy. Pretty impressed some of his running.

West- Played a smaller role than normal but still racked up heaps of the footy. For all his critics he is actually one of the best users of the footy in the comp. Rarely coughs it up and makes great decisions. Might not be penetrating but almost always results in another bulldog possesion.

Boyd- Behind Cross and Johnson for the best player on the ground. Killed them in close.

Murphy- Not that far away I dont think. Better for the run.

Higgins- Had a pretty ordinary game but did some nice things.

Griffen- Was very good and impressed me at the stoppages. Having another big body that hits the ball at pace gives us a different mix. Cross and West are both ridiculously tough men but they do it with positioning whereas Griffen does it more with momentum and can get the ball into space and going our way. Interesting to see Cross on a wing and Griffen on the ball.

Do more later.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Good report DT. I forgot to mention earlier that we were very good at the stoppages and in the close physical contests. I felt confident every time it was all bunched up or congested that we would win the ball or at least not let them win it.

I wonder if the addition of Wayne Campbell is assisting the guys?

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Our outs and their outs about cancel each other, so an interesting demonstration of our various strengths especially as Geelong play a bit like us, run and quick movement. They were competitive in the first quarter but WWBiscuit turned to me at that point and said" I know we have the depth to keep this up Geelong don't and so it proved to be. Before the game I would have settled for a 10 point victory. We looked good, they never threatened after the first quarter, so I'm pretty happy, but I don't think we're quite there yet GVG.

That's why we didn't finish them off. We eased slightly. Geelong aren't bad, but we seem on today's form to have opened a gap on them.

DR had better be careful. It's not proven yet, but if Wight keeps on improving at the rate he showed today, then he needs to prepare for the taste of humble pie about Clayton's inability to draft talls.

Fair summary - it was a very stop-start performance from us - I thought Geelong showed signs they could be pretty good this year and around the mark. But, they never really threatened but we never nailed the two extra goals needed to completely snuff them out - we got to almost 8 goals up. McMahon and Gilbee were super out of the backline, Cooney and Griffen showed their class, our midfield accumulators Gia, Cross, West and Boyd worked into the game the more it went on, Hargraves and Wight were terrific on bigger opponents, and Minson looks to be developing nicely - Johnson is just a gun. Lots of others showed flashes of class, e.g Higgins, Aka, and what I think an opposition side faces is a very deep and talented team for whom it is hard to hold every player in check.

Darc and Murph were rusty and will be better for the run as will McDougall and Aka.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 10:02 PM
This from AFL.com
(http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=40389)
Johnson leads Dogs to win

1 hours, 18 minutes ago | Back

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
News
Western Bulldogs and AFL All-Australian captain Brad Johnson repeatedly proves height takes second place to class.

Before Sunday's season-opener against Geelong at Telstra Dome, the Bulldogs appeared vulnerable without key defenders Chris Grant and Brian Harris.

Instead, the decisive battle happened up the other end of the ground as Johnson kicked eight goals in the 17.11 (113) to 13.15 (93) win.

As he did so often last season, Johnson outclassed taller opponents by making the most of his marking strength and outstanding fitness.

At 182cm, he gave away 10cm in height to his opponents, former All-Australian full-back Matthew Scarlett and new Cats captain Tom Harley.

But Johnson first worked hard up the field to take Scarlett out of the goalsquare and then kicked half his goals in the second term as the Bulldogs converted a four-point deficit at the first change into a 22-point lead at the main break.

"Clearly, Brad Johnson should get best on ground, three Brownlow votes and nearly get everything, shouldn't he, because it was a great performance," said Geelong coach Mark Thompson.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade also rates Johnson one of the best he has seen in his three decades as an AFL player and coach.

"It's about talent, isn't it? You would think a guy (who is) at least six-foot-three (190cm) would be able to at least spoil on him," Eade said. "He's more than a good player, he's a great ... he'd certainly be one of your first picked in my time because of what he can do at his size." Johnson's only blemish came in the last term, when he had an unsuccessful shot for goal while Jason Akermanis was by himself in the goalsquare.

"I did speak to Brad about that. Sometimes blokes get the blinkers on a bit, don't they?," Eade said. "He reckons he didn't see him (Akermanis), but perhaps he just saw those big white 'chaps'." While Johnson was on fire in attack, Cameron Wight and Ryan Hargrave impressed as key defenders and Lindsay Gilbee played above his height while setting up counterattacks with his pinpoint disposal.

Thompson said Cats key forward Nathan Ablett had possibly his best all-round senior game, kicking three goals, but Brad Ottens and Cameron Mooney were well off their best.

The Bulldogs set up the win with a run of eight unanswered goals, starting with Johnson's first just before quarter-time.

Importantly, Geelong also had scoring chances during that run, but could only manage four behinds.

Thompson admitted his players had lost some of their confidence by halftime.

To Geelong's credit, they did not surrender when the Bulldogs extended their lead to 37 points at three-quarter time and out-scored the Dogs by five goals to one in the last quarter.

Thompson said there were encouraging signs for his team in the loss and was confident the Cats would improve next Saturday against Carlton.

The Bulldogs welcomed back Luke Darcy and Robert Murphy from knee reconstructions, while star recruit Jason Akermanis marked his first minor-round game as a Dog with his famous handstand to the crowd at the final siren.

The Cats looked the better side in the opening term, leading by 10 points just before the break.

But Johnson's first goal of the game, a booming shot from outside 50m, reduced the margin to four points at quarter-time.

That was the start of an eight-goal burst from the Dogs, including another four to Johnson, as they took control in the second term.

One of the highlights of the Bulldogs' surge was a superb run up the middle of the ground, with Adam Cooney initially punching the ball forward under pressure.

A smart handball from Nathan Eagleton then set up Akermanis for his first goal as a Bulldog.

The Bulldogs led by six goals before the Cats capitalised on a turnover on the wing and Cameron Mooney goalled 21 minutes into the quarter.

David Wojcinski kicked another goal late in the second term that gave Geelong a sniff, trailing by 22 points at the main break.

But the Bulldogs kicked four goals to one in the third term for a decisive 37-point lead at three-quarter time.

Geelong kicked five goals to two in the last quarter to give the scoreline some respectability.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 4.5 11.7 15.8 17.11 (113)
GEELONG 5.3 7.9 8.13 13.15 (93)

Goals: Western Bulldogs: B Johnson 8, A Cooney 2, D Giansiracusa 2, L Gilbee, J Akermanis, R Hargrave, L Darcy, R Murphy.
Geelong: C Mooney 3, N Ablett 3, D Wojcinski 2, J Bartel, A Mackie, C Gardiner, G Ablett, P Chapman.

Best: Western Bulldogs: B Johnson, D Cross, L Gilbee, A Cooney, R Griffen.
Geelong: C Enright, J Bartel, C Ling, N Ablett.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
This from the Hun (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21485207%255E20322,00.html)

Bulldogs start on winning note
01 April 2007 Herald-Sun
Roger Vaughan AAP

THE Western Bulldogs opened their AFL season of great expectations with a 20-point win over Geelong today at Telstra Dome.

Akermanis
Bulldogs vs Cats: New Bulldogs recruit Jason Akermanis get sprayed in the rooms after his side's victory over Geelong at Telstra Dome. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Bulldogs and All-Australian captain Brad Johnson carried over his outstanding form from last year, kicking eight goals.

Lindsay Gilbee's disposal was again faultless and midfielder Daniel Cross had 37 possessions.
Cameron Mooney and Nathan Ablett kicked three goals apiece for Geelong, while Cats midfielder Cameron Ling tagged Scott West out of the game and Corey Enright had 30 touches.

The Bulldogs' speed and slick use of the ball overpowered the Cats.

Jason Akermanis had 13 touches and kicked a goal in his first game with the Bulldogs.

Luke Darcy and Robert Murphy returned from knee reconstructions, although Murphy gave the Bulldogs a scare when he limped off in the third quarter.

Murphy was able to return to the field and he appeared to suffer nothing more serious than a corked thigh.

The Cats looked the better side in the opening term, leading by 10 points just before the break.
But Johnson's first goal of the game, a booming shot from outside 50m, reduced the margin to four points at quarter-time.

That was the start of an eight-goal burst from the 'Dogs, including another four to Johnson, as they took control in the second term.

One of the highlights of the Bulldogs' surge was a superb run up the middle of the ground, with Adam Cooney initially punching the ball forward under pressure.

A smart handball from Nathan Eagleton then set up Akermanis for his first goal as a Bulldog.
The Bulldogs led by six goals before the Cats capitalised on a turnover on the wing and Cameron Mooney goalled at 21 minutes into the quarter.

David Wojcinski kicked another goal late in the second term and Geelong had a sniff, trailing by 22 points at the main break.

But the Bulldogs kicked four goals to one in the third term for a decisive 37-point lead at three-quarter time.

Geelong kicked five goals to two in the last quarter to give the scoreline some respectability.

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Spent most of my day fighting one of the worst hangovers in recent memory. Thought we pretty much had them covered all day and was dissapointed we didn't really drive it home. Highlight was getting a doggies towel off Cooney for my bar.

Our tackling and defensive pressure was pretty telling IMO and we closed them down really well. Clearances were also good although I am not sure of the stats. We were not clean enough with our forward 50 entries early but the pressure eventually got to the cats defenders.

Good report DT. Imagine how bad your hangover would have been if we'd lost?

Were you surprised at the improved defensive and clearances work? I was.

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Not quite yet - after last night, I want to know why we drafted Everitt ahead of Mitch Brown?

dog town
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Good report DT. Imagine how bad your hangover would have been if we'd lost?

Were you surprised at the improved defensive and clearances work? I was.Hangovers dont come any worse I am afraid.

Not really surprised. We are getting bigger as a side in general which helps at stoppages. Most sides are in a bit of an arms race for pace and run and carry at the moment whereas as we have been working on the clearances/contested ball side of things so you would expect improvement.When you lay 64 tackles your defense is going to find it alot easier.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Yes, what a pain that was. They also forgot to put McDougall on there aswell.

Yes BB, I thought the whole thing was pretty boring, as well as the inaccuracies previously noted. How much drivel can we be expected to put up with? As it's no longer produced in house it's time for some hard words with the publishers.

GVGjr
02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Yes BB, I thought the whole thing was pretty boring, as well as the inaccuracies previously noted. How much drivel can we be expected to put up with? As it's no longer produced in house it's time for some hard words with the publishers.

I doubt that the AFL will actually care too much which is a shame. At a guess we could have the same problems with the next footy record.

W W Biscuit
02-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Notice that, according to AFL.COM, Cameron Ling was included in Geelong's best. Compared to our boys, he looked like a snail on Mogadon.

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Notice that, according to AFL.COM, Cameron Ling was included in Geelong's best. Compared to our boys, he looked like a snail on Mogadon.

He managed to keep Scotty West to under 30, 000 possessions though so that's a win to Geelong.

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Not quite yet - after last night, I want to know why we drafted Everitt ahead of Mitch Brown?

I'd wait on that until you have seen Everitt play a few times. He is very good.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Team structure. We don't want a bulky, tall defender like Brown. We want fast, agile running players. Eade is building a team that will run over anyone, hence why we went for blokes like Wight, Williams, Everitt etc. I think it works well with our structure and game plan, so I wouldn't be too worried. If anything, I'd be excited about what we can get out of Everitt. WC do seem to get a ripper 1st round pick every year though don't they? They must have an excellent recruiting staff.

Raw Toast
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
V interesting game, though hard atm to know how much to read into it.

Quite surprised to see us start with Cooney, Griffen and Guido at the first bounce, with West on one wing and Cross on the other. Thought the inclusion of Griffen and Ackermanis seemed to really spread the load for us quite a bit. West spent a bit less time in the thick of things and so was able to be a playmaker (as DT noted), Cooney could flash in and then rest up, Griffen seemed to be easing his way in to me (did quite a bit of bullocking, but not as 'everywhere' as he can be) and Ackermanis wasn't under pressure to dominate.

I was a bit concerned with our first quarter, in particularly with the way Geelong was running the ball out of defence. Felt liked we missed Robbins there, and I commented to my mate that we were letting them look fast by not applying enough pressure. This was corrected in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, when we upped our intensity and started tackling really quite well. The bit that impressed me most about Ackermanis was the way he constantly made up ground on opponents with the ball and worked hard to create pressure. He didn't manage to quite catch anyone from behind, but he hurried them enough to quite often disrupt their flow of possession.

Not too unhappy with our failure to kill them off. It would've been nice, but I reckon we've got to guard against over-confidence with all the hype that is around, so it might be good to have some things to work on. That said, we need to work on winding down the clock. Didn't mind that we slowed the game up late, but our handling became a bit unsure and our delivery stopped being clean. Also a concern, I reckon, that it took a fair while to get some 'leaders' down into the back half, as it felt like we needed someone to stamp their authority on the winding down. In the end Darcy and Murph went back which was good.

Saw lots of signs for optimism if development continues, but they'll remain IF's until development does continue (in other words, we showed quite a bit of promise but need lots of work still).

Darcy was a really big positive for me. Wasn't able to properly impose himself on the game, but seemed much closer to it than I thought he would've been. His body-work up forward improved as the game went on, and his recovery from contests was pretty quick. I'd forgotten how good a rover he was, and that he'd led our clearences in the season's before his injury. He almost roved the back near goal a few times but wasn't quite clean enough, and then created a goal by a typical Darcy moment where he was out of the ruck contest so roved the ball instead and then delayed his handpass to put Griffen into space (who handpassed to Cooney for the goal). A big bonus for us already, and massive if he can just improve a tad more to start taking some contested marks and get cleaner below his knees.

Bulldog Revolution
02-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Darcy was a really big positive for me. Wasn't able to properly impose himself on the game, but seemed much closer to it than I thought he would've been. His body-work up forward improved as the game went on, and his recovery from contests was pretty quick. I'd forgotten how good a rover he was, and that he'd led our clearences in the season's before his injury. He almost roved the back near goal a few times but wasn't quite clean enough, and then created a goal by a typical Darcy moment where he was out of the ruck contest so roved the ball instead and then delayed his handpass to put Griffen into space (who handpassed to Cooney for the goal). A big bonus for us already, and massive if he can just improve a tad more to start taking some contested marks and get cleaner below his knees.

Darcy made some horrible decisions and looked a bit out of it at times, but he had no problem at all getting his hands on the ball, either in the ruck or posessions around the ground. It seemed every time he got it he wanted to have a bit of a run with the ball in hand and just remember what it was like and assess the options, rather than lay off the first handball to a player running past. I thought he should have given off a few of these instead of getting himself into trouble, but he will learn from the experience.

Raw Toast
02-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Pleasently surprised by Cooney. Seemed to find a way of playing within himself while still doing lots of damage. His first few steps are so quick, and he helped lock the ball in forward at least once and pressured well. His desperation in knocking the ball forward to set up Ackermanis' goal was a highlight.

Thought Griffen was still not 100%. Did some great bullocking work but struggled to acclerate at times, and while he offers a lot in the midfield this season will be a bit of a learning curve for him imo. His big mark at chf was a reminder also that he can offer us something up forward as well. Seems to have lost a little confidence in his long running shots on goal - checked the one shot he took. One advantage of him in the middle is that he''ll end up delivering the ball into the 50 more. Delayed just long enough to create Darcy's goal (though went for goal himself later when he couldv'e given Darcy another), and the way he squared the ball when running straight into the boundary line was uber imppresive.

Eagleton didn't break the game open, but he ran hard as always, and was probably our biggest improver in terms of tackles. He stuck 6 of them and didn't take anyone high or in the back. Also took a screamer and put his body on the line in a number of marking contests. I think his marking under the high-ball and in defense has been an under-rated part of his improvement. Couldn't say his defensive pressure was brilliant and it probably will never be, but he did lock the ball in numerous times, and he's a significantly better player for us if he can keep this up.

Agree that Power was good but not great. Be interested to hear if this stacks up on replays, but it seemed to me that he got to the fall of the ball in the defensive 50 and roved the ball quite a few times. Important that he does this if Griffen stays in the middle. Linked up v well, particularly with McMahon, who did the give and go with him lots of times. Didn't run and create by foot as much as he can, so a fair bit of improvement in him still I reckon. Gave his opponent a bit too much latitude sometimes, but this meant he could be front and square when the big kick came in. Spoilt well almost every time, and his contest when out of position against Gardiner in the goal-square was v good (perhaps he shouldn't been out of position though?).

While Higgins was quiet, he did do some v good things. The pick up on the wing has been mentioned, but I also liked the way he won virtually every one-on-one contest he had, including towelling up Scarlett at one point IIRC. The inclusion of Ackermanis probably limits the amount of time Higgins will get on the ball, and he seemed a little bit lost up forward at times, like he was trying to play as a leading forward rather than a crumber. Was not helped by delivery that clearly favoured his opponents a few times.

I liked McDougall's application, even if he didn't get much result for effort. Almost did some v nice things in defence, but the marks didn't quite stick, and his use of the ball was generally much better than in pre-season. He's got pretty decent hands I reckon and helped move the ball on nicely a few times. THe one shot he had was a good sign, in that he stabbed it from just outside 50 only to hit the post, I didn't realise he could kick it that far.

Johnson's game was clearly superb. He even tackled a couple of times, sticking one of them really well to win a free. His marking and kicking was great, and while we haven't had a good front-and-square crumber for awhile, Johnson's ability to get the ball at the back of the pack time and again seems to yield at least a goal a game.

Could there be a wingman who's run harder and longer than Cross? Wight might challenge him if he is actually moved up to the wing when Harris and Grant come back. You can see that Eade's developing a team with incredible flexibility. Sheedy of a few years ago would spend his whole time shifting everyone everywhere. I think Eade is a bit more discerning about his moves and doesn't do things for the sake of looking clever, but he's getting the the armory and talent to unsettle most teams.

Great that Ray won so much contested ball. This is the development we're all waiting/hoping for. I thought his pressure skills were generally good.

Monty looked in trouble for mine. When was he injured? If it was v early that might excuse his poor play, but I think it was late in the 2nd quarter. Maybe he was trying to hard to impress, but he ended up mucking up a few too many times. I think the elimination final showed he can still be important for us, but think he'll be a depth player.

Finally, also pretty happy with Minson. ATM he's better when the ball is below his knees, and really busteled well in packs, and won the ball with clean hands once against three cats who hadn't been able to pick it up first time. Needs to keep working on his taps, but almost (that deadly word again) broke the game open a few times with taps that were inches away from setting a Cooney or someone else free.

Raw Toast
02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Darcy made some horrible decisions and looked a bit out of it at times, but he had no problem at all getting his hands on the ball, either in the ruck or posessions around the ground. It seemed every time he got it he wanted to have a bit of a run with the ball in hand and just remember what it was like and assess the options, rather than lay off the first handball to a player running past. I thought he should have given off a few of these instead of getting himself into trouble, but he will learn from the experience.

Yeah from what he said the speed of the game caught him out a few times. I think that as well as speed, it was also partly rusty-ness and partly that his ball-handling wasn't clean so he didn't have as much time to make the correct decisions. I'd be surprised if decision-making is a long-term issue for him though. What surprised me was that we hardly had to carry him at all, and that he was able to make a real impact. Compared to say Morgan last year, a rusty Darcy was significantly ahead. And this means we can have an extra midfielder as we only need one pure(-ish) ruck.

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Fantastic assessment and a very enjoyable read RT. Thanks.

bornadog
02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I think Power is lucky to be in the team, his decision making skills are woefull and his passing is even worse. He nearly got Murphy injured and Johnston crushed with his ridiculous chip passes. If he kicks through the ball he can kick wonderful low long accurate drop punts, but you watch the guy, he does these silly chips that are way above anyones head which sets up the opposition to come in and spoil. As for his defensive skills, he never ever gets infront of the man, he doesn't have the ticker. When he does get the ball he wants to get rid of it so quickly that his brain hasn't got time to work out who to give the ball to, so he misses his target.

If Eade insists on playing him, then put him on a wing or half foward flank (where he played the last few games in 2006). Lets hope he improves as they are lining up to get in the team.

southerncross
02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I think Power is lucky to be in the team, his decision making skills are woefull and his passing is even worse. He nearly got Murphy injured and Johnston crushed with his ridiculous chip passes. If he kicks through the ball he can kick wonderful low long accurate drop punts, but you watch the guy, he does these silly chips that are way above anyones head which sets up the opposition to come in and spoil. As for his defensive skills, he never ever gets infront of the man, he doesn't have the ticker. When he does get the ball he wants to get rid of it so quickly that his brain hasn't got time to work out who to give the ball to, so he misses his target.

If Eade insists on playing him, then put him on a wing or half foward flank (where he played the last few games in 2006). Lets hope he improves as they are lining up to get in the team.

BAD, methinks you rate him too harshly. I thought he performed well despite a few errors here and there. I still don't think he is playing with confidence and once that comes we will see further improvement in him.

A lot of what you said I agree with but I just think you have the magnifying glass too close to just one player. He is probably better suited to the half forward role but he did more than enough on the weekend to be regarded as a viable option as a defender.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 06:41 PM

I didn't say humble pie after one reasonable game. What I said prepare for the taste if he keeps going well. Ah Mitch, Smitch, Everitt is better.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
He managed to keep Scotty West to under 30, 000 possessions though so that's a win to Geelong.

The journalists recoil in horror when they see the stats sheet. What Westie had less than 30 possessions, we need a royal commission and to declare his oppononet favourite for the Brownlow.

Don't think Scotty is too advanced in his preparation. I think he'll be very happy with 29 possies at this stage.

Don't think Bomba will be too happy cause Ling wasn't up to it. Has Bomba got Ling on a 5:1 handball to kick ratio cause even when it would have been better for his team for him to kick he handballed.

dog town
02-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Agree that Power was good but not great. Be interested to hear if this stacks up on replays, but it seemed to me that he got to the fall of the ball in the defensive 50 and roved the ball quite a few times. Important that he does this if Griffen stays in the middle. Linked up v well, particularly with McMahon, who did the give and go with him lots of times. Didn't run and create by foot as much as he can, so a fair bit of improvement in him still I reckon. Gave his opponent a bit too much latitude sometimes, but this meant he could be front and square when the big kick came in. Spoilt well almost every time, and his contest when out of position against Gardiner in the goal-square was v good (perhaps he shouldn't been out of position though?).

ree.
Great report RT.

Just on Power he does have a habit of looking horribly out of position and uncomfortable when the ball comes in long but most of the time still manages to get the job done as you described above. One instance where he could have done better was when he flew and spoiled Wight who had almost completed a courageous mark. Cost us a goal but you cant fault him too much because he had eyes for the ball. Probably prefer him to stay down if we already have one up.

I feel for Guido at times. Strikes me as being at the stage where he just wants full games in the midfield to really test himself and use his engine but with our stacked midfield he often finds himself as the 6th or 7th choice and spends most of the day up forward. Started in the centre square but after that seemed to spend most of the day across half forward.

Agree with RT that having Aker certainly spreads the load. David Johnson has tagged him 3 or 4 times now so I think it would be fair to assume that Johnson was not merely playing as a half back but was going to shadow Aker regardless of where he played. Saves someone else from having a hard tag and Aker is still going to have an impact anyway.

Does anybody else think Boyds game has been underrated? He wasn't that damaging or clean but I just thought he was telling in alot of 50/50 situations. Astonishing transformation from the slightly chubby , slow and fumbly player we first saw under Rohde. Looks trimmer every year and has managed to inject run and carry to his game.

Hargrave coughed up some nothing goals on Mooney without doing a hell of alot wrong. Looked a bit nervous early with his decision making but I thought he came back well.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Pleasently surprised by Cooney. Seemed to find a way of playing within himself while still doing lots of damage. His first few steps are so quick, and he helped lock the ball in forward at least once and pressured well. His desperation in knocking the ball forward to set up Ackermanis' goal was a highlight.

Thought Griffen was still not 100%. Did some great bullocking work but struggled to acclerate at times, and while he offers a lot in the midfield this season will be a bit of a learning curve for him imo. His big mark at chf was a reminder also that he can offer us something up forward as well. Seems to have lost a little confidence in his long running shots on goal - checked the one shot he took. One advantage of him in the middle is that he''ll end up delivering the ball into the 50 more. Delayed just long enough to create Darcy's goal (though went for goal himself later when he couldv'e given Darcy another), and the way he squared the ball when running straight into the boundary line was uber imppresive.

Eagleton didn't break the game open, but he ran hard as always, and was probably our biggest improver in terms of tackles. He stuck 6 of them and didn't take anyone high or in the back. Also took a screamer and put his body on the line in a number of marking contests. I think his marking under the high-ball and in defense has been an under-rated part of his improvement. Couldn't say his defensive pressure was brilliant and it probably will never be, but he did lock the ball in numerous times, and he's a significantly better player for us if he can keep this up.

While Higgins was quiet, he did do some v good things. The pick up on the wing has been mentioned, but I also liked the way he won virtually every one-on-one contest he had, including towelling up Scarlett at one point IIRC. The inclusion of Ackermanis probably limits the amount of time Higgins will get on the ball, and he seemed a little bit lost up forward at times, like he was trying to play as a leading forward rather than a crumber. Was not helped by delivery that clearly favoured his opponents a few times.

I liked McDougall's application, even if he didn't get much result for effort. Almost did some v nice things in defence, but the marks didn't quite stick, and his use of the ball was generally much better than in pre-season. He's got pretty decent hands I reckon and helped move the ball on nicely a few times. THe one shot he had was a good sign, in that he stabbed it from just outside 50 only to hit the post, I didn't realise he could kick it that far.

Johnson's game was clearly superb. He even tackled a couple of times, sticking one of them really well to win a free. His marking and kicking was great, and while we haven't had a good front-and-square crumber for awhile, Johnson's ability to get the ball at the back of the pack time and again seems to yield at least a goal a game.

Could there be a wingman who's run harder and longer than Cross? Wight might challenge him if he is actually moved up to the wing when Harris and Grant come back. You can see that Eade's developing a team with incredible flexibility. Sheedy of a few years ago would spend his whole time shifting everyone everywhere. I think Eade is a bit more discerning about his moves and doesn't do things for the sake of looking clever, but he's getting the the armory and talent to unsettle most teams.

Great that Ray won so much contested ball. This is the development we're all waiting/hoping for. I thought his pressure skills were generally good.

Monty looked in trouble for mine. When was he injured? If it was v early that might excuse his poor play, but I think it was late in the 2nd quarter. Maybe he was trying to hard to impress, but he ended up mucking up a few too many times. I think the elimination final showed he can still be important for us, but think he'll be a depth player.

Finally, also pretty happy with Minson. ATM he's better when the ball is below his knees, and really busteled well in packs, and won the ball with clean hands once against three cats who hadn't been able to pick it up first time. Needs to keep working on his taps, but almost (that deadly word again) broke the game open a few times with taps that were inches away from setting a Cooney or someone else free.

Absolutely top post, sophisticated eye for the significant detail in the context of the whole game and you have based your judgements on evidence not predetermined dispositions. :D :D

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Great report RT.

Just on Power he does have a habit of looking horribly out of position and uncomfortable when the ball comes in long but most of the time still manages to get the job done as you described above. One instance where he could have done better was when he flew and spoiled Wight who had almost completed a courageous mark. Cost us a goal but you cant fault him too much because he had eyes for the ball. Probably prefer him to stay down if we already have one up.

I feel for Guido at times. Strikes me as being at the stage where he just wants full games in the midfield to really test himself and use his engine but with our stacked midfield he often finds himself as the 6th or 7th choice and spends most of the day up forward. Started in the centre square but after that seemed to spend most of the day across half forward.

Agree with RT that having Aker certainly spreads the load. David Johnson has tagged him 3 or 4 times now so I think it would be fair to assume that Johnson was not merely playing as a half back but was going to shadow Aker regardless of where he played. Saves someone else from having a hard tag and Aker is still going to have an impact anyway.

Does anybody else think Boyds game has been underrated? He wasn't that damaging or clean but I just thought he was telling in alot of 50/50 situations. Astonishing transformation from the slightly chubby , slow and fumbly player we first saw under Rohde. Looks trimmer every year and has managed to inject run and carry to his game.

Hargrave coughed up some nothing goals on Mooney without doing a hell of alot wrong. Looked a bit nervous early with his decision making but I thought he came back well.

Excellent post dt. Agree re Power, Guido hasn't had a great preseason form wise and not sure what role they are trying to use him in, Aker spreads the load and will get better. Was most impressed with his unselfishness, even tried to bring McDougall into the game. Boyd is terribly underrated and because he started on the bench many will have ignored his input. He gets better every year and now understands that he has a spot in the side, can play well outside but won the hard ball or prevented it being used against us. Shaggy had the toughest job in the team and did well overall.

bornadog
02-04-2007, 10:52 PM
BAD, methinks you rate him too harshly. I thought he performed well despite a few errors here and there. I still don't think he is playing with confidence and once that comes we will see further improvement in him.

A lot of what you said I agree with but I just think you have the magnifying glass too close to just one player. He is probably better suited to the half forward role but he did more than enough on the weekend to be regarded as a viable option as a defender.

Your probably right that I have the magnifying glass too close on Power. He still hasn't convinced me he is in our top 22. If Grant and Harris were available last weekend, who would have missed out...... I would say probably Power for one.

Really prefer him in the forward line, or even on the wing. Any way, its a long season and hope he comes good.

Bulldog Revolution
03-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Shaggy had the toughest job in the team and did well overall.

I think this is the year of Shaggy - I think his self belief has really arrived this year. I think there are a few in the know supporters that were impressed when Eade mentioned that he was able to play last year when most would not have been able to. Probably his ankle being fixed etc will help him physically also.

He did some things yesterday that highlighted to me just how talented he is. In the last quarter he leads his man to the ball in a forward pocket and running at what should have been full pace, however he does not look like he is straining at all, and gathers the ball below his knees and fires off a handball to someone running past and we are away. He just has great hands, and he also slotted his only shot for goal, that really never looked like missing, and his field kicking is very good - if we weren't spoilt with Gilbee and McMahon we would probably focus more on it.

Plus if you thought all of my post so far was rubbish and ignore it the fact remains- He now has done his first TV commercial for Peter Jackson suits - and I thought he did a good job.

Twodogs
03-04-2007, 08:13 AM
He did some things yesterday that highlighted to me just how talented he is. In the last quarter he leads his man to the ball in a forward pocket and running at what should have been full pace, however he does not look like he is straining at all, and gathers the ball below his knees and fires off a handball to someone running past and we are away.

I saw that, remembereed that there was talk of him going to West Coast in Rohde's time and thanked God.