PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt

Mantis
04-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25424421-19742,00.html)

Three losses in a row looks bad, but Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade is confident his team is not spiralling into a season-defining slump. After being strangled by St Kilda's relentless pressure at Etihad Stadium last night, the Dogs coach was surprisingly upbeat about the 28-point loss.

"We can take a lot of positives out of it," Eade said.

"Obviously they are on top of the ladder. Them and Geelong are going to be the benchmark at this stage, so I think we do take some positives out of it.

"If we can have that endeavour and workrate, then a win is not far away. If we got blown out of the park today with a lack of endeavour then you would start to worry about it."

Eade was particularly pleased with his side's final term given they didn't throw in the towel with the game clearly shot, instead winning the quarter by kicking four goals to two.

"We can take some consolation," he said, "because we hung in there. Even in the third quarter when we were getting beaten I thought our endeavour was OK and I think it was a bit of reward in the end for that endeavour."

Indicators in key areas including contested ball and stoppages were good. The Dogs went inside 50m 46 times, but failed to capitalise.

"The opposition pressure was fantastic," Eade said. "Most of our problems have been our execution, which is normally a strength. The previous two weeks were poor execution for whatever reason, but this week was as much due to the opposition.

"You worry if you are in a slump and lost three in a row, I've been in that position a lot of times, then you worry about players' endeavour or their confidence level and the way they attack a contest.

"Today, even though we made some mistakes, I thought our guys got back on the horse. They hung in there."

The Bulldogs meet Adelaide at AAMI Stadium next Sunday and could regain defender Tom Williams, who was a late withdrawal yesterday because of a foot injury.

Ruckman Will Minson may come under the scrutiny of the match review panel for a flying elbow that appeared to make high contact on St Kilda's Brendon Goddard in the third quarter.

bulldogtragic
04-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25424421-19742,00.html)

Three losses in a row looks bad, but Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade is confident his team is not spiralling into a season-defining slump. After being strangled by St Kilda's relentless pressure at Etihad Stadium last night, the Dogs coach was surprisingly upbeat about the 28-point loss.

"We can take a lot of positives out of it," Eade said.

"Obviously they are on top of the ladder. Them and Geelong are going to be the benchmark at this stage, so I think we do take some positives out of it.

"If we can have that endeavour and workrate, then a win is not far away. If we got blown out of the park today with a lack of endeavour then you would start to worry about it."

Eade was particularly pleased with his side's final term given they didn't throw in the towel with the game clearly shot, instead winning the quarter by kicking four goals to two.

"We can take some consolation," he said, "because we hung in there. Even in the third quarter when we were getting beaten I thought our endeavour was OK and I think it was a bit of reward in the end for that endeavour."

Indicators in key areas including contested ball and stoppages were good. The Dogs went inside 50m 46 times, but failed to capitalise.

"The opposition pressure was fantastic," Eade said. "Most of our problems have been our execution, which is normally a strength. The previous two weeks were poor execution for whatever reason, but this week was as much due to the opposition.

"You worry if you are in a slump and lost three in a row, I've been in that position a lot of times, then you worry about players' endeavour or their confidence level and the way they attack a contest.

"Today, even though we made some mistakes, I thought our guys got back on the horse. They hung in there."

The Bulldogs meet Adelaide at AAMI Stadium next Sunday and could regain defender Tom Williams, who was a late withdrawal yesterday because of a foot injury.

Ruckman Will Minson may come under the scrutiny of the match review panel for a flying elbow that appeared to make high contact on St Kilda's Brendon Goddard in the third quarter.
Thanks Mantis.

Sounds like Kevin 747 was speaking. We got smashed yesterday and we have to go back to the drawing board. I hate the last few weeks Eade saying but our indicators were good. If we are losing to teams we should rightfully beat and we are ahead in the indicators but massively behind in the scoreboard than FFS review the indicators!!!!!

ledge
04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Someone tell Rodney the only indicator he should look at is more goals than the opposition and four points!
I would have thought the only other indicator of importance is the AFL ladder!

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Someone tell Rodney the only indicator he should look at is more goals than the opposition and four points!
I would have thought the only other indicator of importance is the AFL ladder!

I thought the only indicator of importance is who's holding the premiership cup after the grand final in September.

Ladder position is important, but only in the sense that it gives you a better shot at the flag. Still need to be sharper in September than in April, and if we're going to have a form slump, rather it be now than round 15-22 as it has been the past couple of seasons.

Rance Fan
04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe the coach needs to have a look at his gameplan....it aint workin...thats a fact

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Should we start looking at other coaches to win the dogs a premiership then?

craigsahibee
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Maybe the coach needs to have a look at his gameplan....it aint workin...thats a fact

Unfortunately our list limits our game plan options and at the moment our options are limited to the style of play we have been turning out week after week for the last 4 years. Until we can un-earth a player or two to take contested marks in the forward 50, we will continue to struggle agianst teams that choke us further up the park.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Blah blah blah.

Some old crap, from our club again this week. It really annoys me when i hear people talking like this.

It's like every year after a finals appearance & our slogan "UNFINISHED BUSINESS" every year is unfinished business with us, just perform FFS

Should we start looking at other coaches to win the dogs a premiership then?

Speaking to my Dad yesterday, and he said maybe Rocket can't take us any further??

He suggested Malthouse, because he might be available.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Blah blah blah.

Some old crap, from our club again this week. It really annoys me when i hear people talking like this.

It's like every year after a finals appearance & our slogan "UNFINISHED BUSINESS" every year is unfinished business with us, just perform FFS

Speaking to my Dad yesterday, and he said maybe Rocket can't take us any further??

He suggested Malthouse, because he might be available.

Ridiculous tripe.

A change of coach is EXACTLY what this club doesn't need at this point. It's round six. If you and your father had your way, Mark Thompson would have been sacked after round 6 in 2007, the year Geelong went on to win the Premiership.

Plenty of Cats fans were calling for exactly that. Rocket is at least as good as Bomber, and if you don't think so, go ahead and sack him -- watch the line of club presidents that will form to his door.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Ridiculous tripe.

A change of coach is EXACTLY what this club doesn't need at this point. It's round six. If you and your father had your way, Mark Thompson would have been sacked after round 6 in 2007, the year Geelong went on to win the Premiership.

Plenty of Cats fans were calling for exactly that. Rocket is at least as good as Bomber, and if you don't think so, go ahead and sack him -- watch the line of club presidents that will form to his door.

Relax, we never said sack him.

We were just throwing things around, about the club & how we are currently performing, it was just a suggestion. We both think Rocket is a great coach, his record speaks for itself, his win to loss percentage is one of the best in the comp.

It was just a general discussion between me & him.

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I think people are too quick to jump on the coach in these kind of situations. I for one felt the effort was far better yesterday, against the form side, with key players out, returning from injury, or down on form. All things considered, it wasn't THAT bad. Of course Eade is going to stay positive...what do we expect, self-flagellation? The season can turn around in an instant... remember 15-0 last year? No one (including the Saints) could touch us...well, apart from Geelong!... and then it went pear-shaped in the last 6 weeks... have faith...

God, that was uncharacteristically positive from me! :)

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Well there's been quite a lot of negatives - I just thought, is there anything the dogs can do to make things better? If the football department isn't making the necessary changes and the coach isn't doing anything to change how the team is playing i.e game plan - then all it seems anyone can do is shake their fist angrily at Rocket and post angry posts.

If sacking Rocket isn't the answer and no team changes are expected, and the game plan doesn't change, then what can us woofers do?

Mantis
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
If sacking Rocket isn't the answer and no team changes are expected, and the game plan doesn't change, then what can us woofers do?

Get ready for the A-League season.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
But I don't like soccer:(

Happy Days
04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
But I don't like soccer:(

Then wait for the cricket.

GVGjr
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I think people are too quick to jump on the coach in these kind of situations. I for one felt the effort was far better yesterday, against the form side, with key players out, returning from injury, or down on form. All things considered, it wasn't THAT bad. Of course Eade is going to stay positive...what do we expect, self-flagellation? The season can turn around in an instant... remember 15-0 last year? No one (including the Saints) could touch us...well, apart from Geelong!... and then it went pear-shaped in the last 6 weeks... have faith...

Don't you think in a contract year and one where the bar was raised high after last seasons effort that the coach would come under pressure if we were to slide out of the 8 this year?
I'm not saying that will happen but I can understand if the natives drums start to beat a bit louder if we can't get back on track and start playing some good football.

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Don't you think in a contract year and one where the bar was raised high after last seasons effort that the coach would come under pressure if we were to slide out of the 8 this year?

I'm not saying that will happen but I can understand if the natives drums start to beat a bit louder if we can't get back on track and start playing some good football.

I think it was raised high a bit prematurely...we still have some of the same deficiencies we had last season. Maybe we punched above our weight...Over the course of Eade's coaching stint, we've definitely made great strides.
Yes, if we do happen to go out of the 8, it will put pressure on him... but at this point, it's still IF...all I'm saying is let's not write Rocket or the Dogs off YET...;)

Sleeve1970
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Rodney wake up.. its not Sydney we are real football lovers here.....

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Well said.
Yes it's a concern dropping 3 games in a row, however at the start of the year when I saw the schedule I was very worried we could be 2-4, or even 1-5.

What is important, as Eade has said is our players don't drop their bundles effort wise/workrate wise & following on from this we need to improve our disposal efficiency.
Improving our disposal efficiency not only means our players need to hit their targets, but also our coaching staff need to have a very close look at how we implement our strategy against zones.

It is clear from the amount of goals being kicked against us from our turnovers (the highest in the league) that our players are being caught out of position and it's killing us on the scoreboard.

Is this due to players not following instructions? Or are the strategies they are being instructed to follow not the right way to go?

Stefcep
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Eade has said time and time again this and last year that a tall forward that can take a mark is sorely missed by his side. I haven't heard another coach say something like " Gee if we had a J Brown we'd be good". Eade has. Makes me think that he doesn't believe we can win a flag with the list he's been given. It also makes me think he might want to move on next season,

Edae's done as much as his resources -player and club- have allowed him to do. No coach would have done better. Fact is we don't have the players to win a flag.

And as far a last week goes, yeah it WAS that bad. Sometimes it felt like men against boys, they made us look like amateurs. Saints should have been up by 10 goals at half time. There are some BIG problems at the moment.

Very negative, but thats how i see things.

Mantis
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Eade has said time and time again this and last year that a tall forward that can take a mark is sorely missed by his side. I haven't heard another coach say something like " Gee if we had a J Brown we'd be good". Eade has. Makes me think that he doesn't believe we can win a flag with the list he's been given. It also makes me think he might want to move on next season,

I am pretty sure I heard/ read in the media recently that Eade is keen to continue with his current job next year and beyond.

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Edae's done as much as his resources -player and club- have allowed him to do. No coach would have done better. Fact is we don't have the players to win a flag.

And as far a last week goes, yeah it WAS that bad. Sometimes it felt like men against boys, they made us look like amateurs. Saints should have been up by 10 goals at half time. There are some BIG problems at the moment.

Very negative, but thats how i see things.

Peter Rohde type problems? Or not as bad as that?

Stefcep
07-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Nah, not a Rhode type problem, but I think a playing list problem.

I think its remarkable that virtually ever other club has a tall forward target that can lead and take a mark, but we don't. Thats a football department failure , really the difference between us playing in the GF last year and not.

As for our much-lauded midfield, well, really only Cooney is a genuine All-Australian, but Griffen isn't ready yet to cope with the additional tagging he's been getting, Cross-and I know this is red flag to a bull- I don't rate due to his poor kicking, Gia is too slow. Hahn is past it, as well as Johnno (who seems more than ever, to give away frees, usually trying to do too much).

The other major problem is that when we do have possession there is no system of where to go with it, so the player holds onto it, looks for a free team-mate, but there is none, so he tries to get around two or three opponents and gets clobbered.

Stefcep
07-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I am pretty sure I heard/ read in the media recently that Eade is keen to continue with his current job next year and beyond.

I hope so. Eade is one of the most valuable commodoties at the club.