PDA

View Full Version : Aged Mid 50's or younger: Did you realise?

bulldogtragic
05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
That outside of Freo (the AFLs newest team). We doggies members/supporters have never had the experience of a VFL/AFL grand final week. The build up, breakfatsts, huge training sessions, city parades, the cue for tickets, the actual game, god willing a win.

Every single other AFL following person (Other than the leagues newest), particulrarly in the past 20 years or so.

Sydney, WCE, Adelaide, Port, Brisbane, Saints, Hawks, North, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond (a while back) and Geelong.

And yet, I wouldn't change teams for all the whiskey in Ireland. I hope we have a genuine window over the next few years.

craigsahibee
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
That outside of Freo (the AFLs newest team). We doggies members/supporters have never had the experience of a VFL/AFL grand final week. The build up, breakfatsts, huge training sessions, city parades, the cue for tickets, the actual game, god willing a win.

Every single other AFL following person (Other than the leagues newest), particulrarly in the past 20 years or so.

Sydney, WCE, Adelaide, Port, Brisbane, Saints, Hawks, North, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond (a while back) and Geelong.

And yet, I wouldn't change teams for all the whiskey in Ireland. I hope we have a genuine window over the next few years.

Believe me when I say like a few others on this forum, that this thought has not escaped my mind.

bornadog
05-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes I wonder whether I ever will experience it:(

strebla
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I don't need reminding of this but how sweet it will be when we do make all of the pain and emotion of the past 26 years will certainly erupt as we paint our Western suburbs red white and blue

bulldogtragic
05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't need reminding of this but how sweet it will be when we do make all of the pain and emotion of the past 26 years will certainly erupt as we paint our Western suburbs red white and blue
LA Riots? :)

dadsgirl16
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't need reminding. How sweet it will be tho!!!

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 06:55 PM
My Dad is 51, i can't believe he has been waiting this long.

I'm sure we will have a real crack, sooner rather then later.

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Aah, on a weekly basis, I notice this! I was born 2 years after our only flag and have been following bulldogs since I was 8, but I like all other dog fans, wouldn't change anything :) Yep, I've always told my partner, that the week we play in a grannie, and hopefully win, he needn't expect dinner on the table, etc., etc. If (and when) we win, I reckon I may just have to have the following week off to celebrate in style :) Yes, I can see it now.......red, white and blue flags everywhere, Sons of the West playing continuously, all of us deliriously happy without voices......just imagine!

Before I Die
05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I was also born in the year of TV and the Olympics and I am very conscious of the length of our Grand Final drought. Just like you MG, I plan to party long and hard when the day arrives. Which I am absolutely confident will be well BID.

LostDoggy
06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Yip my first year in Australia after leaving the land of the long white cloud, saw Richmond win it's last Premiership.:eek:
I have to say the last two losses have hit me hard, I was not overly optimistic about this year, but I did think we would be in for a good year, and it really hurts to see the team that fell into fourth place last year way behind us - suddenly setting the benchmark for the competition:(
I have always argued that we don't need a big full forward to win a premiership but I have given in and accepted that until we get one we will never win a premiership. The worse thing is that young Grant doesn't inspire me to much when you look at other aspiring key forwards who seem to be further developed than him - sorry still a bit down. {end of rant}:(

LostDoggy
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm only 17 so compared to some of you older blokes I haven't been waiting as long as you have. Hopefully I never have to...

Scorlibo
08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Yip my first year in Australia after leaving the land of the long white cloud, saw Richmond win it's last Premiership.:eek:
I have to say the last two losses have hit me hard, I was not overly optimistic about this year, but I did think we would be in for a good year, and it really hurts to see the team that fell into fourth place last year way behind us - suddenly setting the benchmark for the competition:(
I have always argued that we don't need a big full forward to win a premiership but I have given in and accepted that until we get one we will never win a premiership. The worse thing is that young Grant doesn't inspire me to much when you look at other aspiring key forwards who seem to be further developed than him - sorry still a bit down. {end of rant}:(

Don't lose faith in Grant, he is trabelling just as well as any other tall from the 2007 draft and his hands are of extremely rare stickyness! He could yet be the key forward we been screaming for.

Remi Moses
09-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Dogs are barking just arrived in time for the Trevor Chappell underarm infamy:eek:It's sad and pathetic we haven't made a GF since 61. My mum went to the 61 Gf when we led Hawthorn 1 flag to Zilch hard to fathom they now lead 10>1:(:(

KT31
10-05-2009, 01:50 AM

I have thought of this for many years, but still have hope.
Sydney/South where in the same boat a couple of years ago and they won a flag.

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I have thought of this for many years, but still have hope.
Sydney/South where in the same boat a couple of years ago and they won a flag.

I got shivers down my spine when Roosy faced the old south melbourne supporers the day after the GF win, he said you have been waiting for this a long time and here it is and held up the cup to a roar from the crowd. hat is what I always imagine it will be like for us - oh daydreams:o

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 05:54 PM
It looks like the Saints have stolen a march this year -- do you think they'll get there before we do? Geelong and the Swans finally broke long droughts recently, only St.Kilda and us to go...

Sedat
13-05-2009, 06:49 PM
It looks like the Saints have stolen a march this year -- do you think they'll get there before we do? Geelong and the Swans finally broke long droughts recently, only St.Kilda and us to go...
At present, St Kilda are a far better team than everyone else, even Geelong. But their style of intense, almost manic defensive pressure all over the ground is extremely taxing and stressful on the body - the big question is whether or not they can sustain such a game plan for 26 weeks. They are virtually unbeatable right now, but the flag is not handed out in May.

Their biggest Achilles Heel in the past was their bottom 6 players - it's the same names this year but their collective output has been phenomenal. Goose Maguire has been carving it up for a month at VFL level but still cannot squeeze into the senior line-up. To have only conceded 300-odd points in the first 7 weeks is unheard of - our effort last week to cobble together 11.10.76 is looking like a cricket score compared to other teams efforts against them.

hujsh
13-05-2009, 08:12 PM
At present, St Kilda are a far better team than everyone else, even Geelong. But their style of intense, almost manic defensive pressure all over the ground is extremely taxing and stressful on the body - the big question is whether or not they can sustain such a game plan for 26 weeks. They are virtually unbeatable right now, but the flag is not handed out in May.

Their biggest Achilles Heel in the past was their bottom 6 players - it's the same names this year but their collective output has been phenomenal. Goose Maguire has been carving it up for a month at VFL level but still cannot squeeze into the senior line-up. To have only conceded 300-odd points in the first 7 weeks is unheard of - our effort last week to cobble together 11.10.76 is looking like a cricket score compared to other teams efforts against them.

I wasn't aware of the latest with Maguire but if he continues to be overlooked does anyone think he may go to another club?

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 12:08 AM

I know! Apparently they've also only been behind for something like 11 minutes all season. This after seven rounds of football!

But your point about it being very taxing a good one. I think they'll do a bit of a Hawthorn and slump mid-season to try to peak for the finals.