PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview: Round 7 vs Adelaide Crows

Go_Dogs
06-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Last Time:2008 R22 Adelaide 3.1 4.10 7.12 10.16 (76) dftd Western Bulldogs 4.3 5.8 7.12 9.13 (67)

A hard fought game, where we started to see the club running back into some sort of form towards the end of the season. The Crows were playing for a top 4 spot, and just got home. It was a game that was similar to our position thus far this season, more disposals, contested ball etc, but could not walk away with the win.

Eagleton, Gilbee and Hill were our better players.

Form:
Dogs coming off 3 successive losses and keen to win back some respect. The Crows have endured a tough start to the season with losses to top sides St Kilda, Geelong and Port Adelaide. They will be desperate for a win.

Players Under The Pump:
Bulldogs - Hahn, Giansiracusa, Gilbee.
Crows - Reily, Doughty, Stevens.

Under Consideration:
Bulldogs - Ward, O'Keefe, Tiller, Williams, Callan.
Crows - Knights, Maric, Shirley.

Key Match Ups:
Picken v Vince: Bernie has come along again in leaps an bounds this year. He kicks long, wins his own ball, is decent over head. Better disposal than Thompson, so for me, he's the one to tag.

McLeod v Hill: Hill isn't very accountable, but may force McLeod to the goal square and prevent his run. Could be worth a role of the dice, and press the need for consistent defensive efforts to Josh.

Boyd v Thompson: A good head to head battle for a couple of work horses. Thompson may drift forward for patches and can stick a good mark, so maybe Cross might be another option to match him in the air.

Doughty v Griffen: Doughty is looking like the most likely option to run with at this stage, perhaps Van Berlo too. Griffen should have both covered for pace.

Hudons/Minson v Tippett/Griffin/Maric
Talk Adelaide may go with 3 ruckmen too, which could stretch us and limit Will's ability to play forward. Might be an interesting selection tidbit, so keep your eyes on this.

Summary:
Should be a cracker of a game. Adelaide aren't playing their best footy, but we have struggled against them at AAMI for quite a few years. There was an interesting article in today's paper suggesting the Crows may look to Goodwin and Edwards to spend more time through the middle as the younger players are stuggling.

Going to be a good opportunity for our prime movers to work themselves back into form in the wide open spaces. Eagleton, Gilbee, Griffen all need big games to help us work through the zone.

The Crows forward set up is looking very suspect, and hopefully we can get a match up for Lake to zone off and really help control the back half. Tippett is running into some reasonable form, and Porplyzia will need to be closely watched by Morris.

I've managed to score a superbox seat for the game, can't wait!

azabob
06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Good Preview!

Is this the perfect game to give Lake an enitre game at FF? Crows only have one or two tall forwards.
I would like to see Lake play four full quarters at FF.

strebla
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Good Preview!

Is this the perfect game to give Lake an enitre game at FF? Crows only have one or two tall forwards.

Good call roll the dice and allow others to see his versatility

bornadog
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Nice review. I would think Harbrow may go to McCleod, although they are currently playing opposite ends of the ground.

Adelaide is in a similar position to us and ie they don't currently have a forward structure that can kick goals and like us must manufacture goals. The zones will be interesting and will be a good test.

Rocket Science
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Cheers for the preview.

Worth noting the Crows are averaging the lowest number of kicks per game in the competition, while averaging the 2nd most handballs. For comparisons sake, they've averaged 40 less kicks and 20 more handballs per game than the Saints, which suggests some interesting things about the merits of the game plan, or at least its execution...Then again, the Crows don't have the luxury of a Riewoldt/Koschitzke tandem to kick to.

Craig's certainly attempting to fashion a team that can play the modern game and negotiate the zone, while limiting turnovers, but while a few of the the same old names populate their lineup they're still a largely young team coming to grips with learning a new style, and are having teething issues on all fronts like most others save for the elite.

Re: the rucks...Oddly enough when Tippett isn't playing as resting forward (ie: when he's rucking) I understand they're habitually sitting him across the middle while using 190cm six-gamer Taylor Walker at ruck contests inside forward 50, to mixed reviews, including having to ruck against Sandilands earlier in the year. If they persist with this all things going to plan you'd like to think that'll assist with our ability to win the ball from stoppages inside defensive 50.

There's certain parallels after six rounds...like us, the Crows are 3-and-3 but have had a testing early draw, copping the Cats, Saints and an improved Power outfit, dropping all three, while they've knocked over a pair of chumps in Freo/Melbourne and pipped the Pies in their season opener. Likewise, we've dealt with Freo/Richmond in predictable fashion, grabbed a solid win over North, but hit a wall against better quality opposition in the Blues/Saints, and were outplayed by the Eagles.

Looms as a tough one to pick. They're an inconsistent mob but are building, while we're more accomplished on paper but looking to arrest a worrying slump.

Am incidentally making a maiden trip over for this one. Aside from 'don't go!', any helpful advice from more seasoned campaigners for an AAMI stadium noob?

Sedat
06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Summary:
Should be a cracker of a game. Adelaide aren't playing their best footy, but we have struggled against them at AAMI for quite a few years. There was an interesting article in today's paper suggesting the Crows may look to Goodwin and Edwards to spend more time through the middle as the younger players are stuggling.
Great summary but I can't agree with the bolded part. I reckon it will be very hard work to sit through 120 minutes of human chess, thanks to the Neil Craig game plan.

St Kilda were brilliant in their execution of the Ross Lyon devised game plan on Sunday but large parts of the game were as boring as batshit to sit through. Reading through the horror stories afterwards, I feel terribly sorry for the woof posters who had to sit through the pre-season match against the Saints as Princes Park.

Go_Dogs
06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Am incidentally making a maiden trip over for this one. Aside from 'don't go!', any helpful advice from more seasoned campaigners for an AAMI stadium noob?

For the first time in many years you can now drink in your seat at AAMI stadium. If you're driving, the parking is pretty bad (unless you want to pay and then enjoy the hour log rat race out) so get there early.

The crowd will be hostile, loud and the umpiring will be very home town orintated. There is really no experience like it :rolleyes:

I have also noted with interest Taylor Walker being forced to ruck. Could quite possibly be the reason for Maric, Griffin and Tippett all being in line for selection this week. Tippett can play permentant forward and do all the ruck duties down there.

LostDoggy
06-05-2009, 04:27 PM
This is far and away the most boring team in the competition. Their entire game plan is based on defence. Kick 14 goals against them and you romp in but it's easier said than done because they put 18 players behind the ball.

Patience is the way to go when play is held up. Otherwise, like last week the best chance is to move the ball forward at all costs. Not many people have noted that last week for the second half we were outscored by 1 point. This was after we woke to the need to move the ball quickly to clear or force our way throught the zone.

Last week was good practice for this match

For those going to AAMI for the first time, ready yourself for a crowd full of screaming, uneducated (in football terms) Morons.

For those of us living here in Pissantville, it's the most important round of the year.

Scraggers
06-05-2009, 04:45 PM
For the first time in many years you can now drink in your seat at AAMI stadium. If you're driving, the parking is pretty bad (unless you want to pay and then enjoy the hour log rat race out) so get there early.

The crowd will be hostile, loud and the umpiring will be very home town orintated. There is really no experience like it :rolleyes:

I have also noted with interest Taylor Walker being forced to ruck. Could quite possibly be the reason for Maric, Griffin and Tippett all being in line for selection this week. Tippett can play permentant forward and do all the ruck duties down there.

Subiaco Oval is very similar ... 42,000 screaming Eagle fans who don't understand the rules ... Busy sipping their chardonnay ... getting spat at and abused, and that's just by the ground staff

Scraggers
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Great preview Griffen #16 ... I looking at the Adelaide Crows playing us back in to some form ... therefore, Dogs by 27 points

bornadog
06-05-2009, 04:50 PM
If you're driving, the parking is pretty bad ...... The crowd will be hostile, .

Especially if you drive to the ground with Vic number plates. Expect damage to your car;)

Mate came back to the car after the game to find a screw driver through the bonnet of the car:D

Rocket Science
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Not driving thankfully. Staying in town and grabbing the gratis 'Footy Express' bus which I gather will be a lovely initiation.

So, am I tempting fate by displaying opposition colours at the game? Might have to shelve the facepaint.

LostDoggy
06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Especially if you drive to the ground with Vic number plates. Expect damage to your car;)

Mate came back to the car after the game to find a screw driver through the bonnet of the car:D

That would have been done by a Crows Moron trying to find the door

Rocco Jones
06-05-2009, 05:46 PM
With the Crows not having a gun KP forward, should we play Lake forward or in a rebouding defensive role? His form during the first 3 games was very good, but like most of the team, he has struggled in the last 3 games.

Mantis
06-05-2009, 06:05 PM
With the Crows not having a gun KP forward, should we play Lake forward or in a rebouding defensive role? His form during the first 3 games was very good, but like most of the team, he has struggled in the last 3 games.

Forward.

We tried to play him in a rebounding defensive role last week and he made a mess of it. Show some faith in Williams & Everitt to help out down back and let the 'Brain fade' kick 10 points for us up forward.;)

Go_Dogs
06-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Forward.

We tried to play him in a rebounding defensive role last week and he made a mess of it. Show some faith in Williams & Everitt to help out down back and let the 'Brain fade' kick 10 points for us up forward.;)

I guess a lot depends on match ups. If Tippett, Stevens, Bock and Walker all play forward we may be a little stretched.

Perhaps Tiller comes back in to give us some extra height and versatility. Perhaps he could even play forward this week?

Mantis
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I guess a lot depends on match ups. If Tippett, Stevens, Bock and Walker all play forward we may be a little stretched.

I wouldn't have thought they would play forward at the one time. I would hope that between Williams, Everitt, Morris & Hargrave we could cope with whatever they throw at us.

Perhaps Tiller comes back in to give us some extra height and versatility. Perhaps he could even play forward this week?

He missed out altogether last week due to groin soreness so it would be surprising for him to come straight back in.

LostDoggy
06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Good Preview!

If Williams comes up then it would be an opportune time to try something like this as there are no dangerous gorillas down there for Lake to play on. Not sure if it is something to try for the whole game though..

If it is time to try and shake up the forward line here is my suggested plan B setup

FF: Ackermanis, Lake/Minson, Harbrow
HF: Murphy, Tiller/Lake, Johnson

Lake and Minson playing as deep forward contested marking targets, Harbow and Tiller as both tall and small defensive forwards helping to lock the ball in or slow it up coming out of defense with Acker, Johhno and Murphy as the class medium small forwards all on notice to chase, tackle, lead and create.

I think that the larger faster CHF players like Waite, Fisher have rebounded far to easily over the last two weeks and this week we face Bock in this role. I would like to see Tiller given a run as a defensive forward, tall enough to compete in the air and fast enough, strong enough to hold them up on the ground. Rotate Lake to this position if Minson is resting forwards.

Leave Gia and Higgins in the midfield to actually kick to our better players in the forward line and have Hill play on a wing running with the ball.

I would also like to see Gilbee rotate with Griffen playing on HBF.

I could be completely off my rocker with these suggestions I would just like to see us do something different because plan A is not working. It never hurts to devlop plan B.

Rocco Jones
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Good Preview!

Apologies guys, I made my comment on Lake to initiate discussion on where he should play and missed the 2nd post which did that already!

I definitely think it's the perfect game for Lake to play FF. While his kicking (and non-kicking) for goal over the last 2 games has been awful, I think he has shown an ability to take a grab deep in the forward line. Having a tall forward who is capable of taking contested marks but a poor kick for goal would be the least of our forward line concerns.

With Lake's footy brain, I would keep kicking for goal very simple. I will be far less stressed about his kicking if he kicks through the ball rather than trying to be delicate.

LostDoggy
06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Not driving thankfully. Staying in town and grabbing the gratis 'Footy Express' bus which I gather will be a lovely initiation.

So, am I tempting fate by displaying opposition colours at the game? Might have to shelve the facepaint.

Most of the Adelaide supporters are okay - although I always manage to sit next to a footy moron! Just be prepared for silence when we kick a goal!

Go_Dogs
06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't have thought they would play forward at the one time. I would hope that between Williams, Everitt, Morris & Hargrave we could cope with whatever they throw at us.

He missed out altogether last week due to groin soreness so it would be surprising for him to come straight back in.

True, you wouldn't think so, but stranger things have happened. Especially given how weak our run has been from defence perhaps playing tall won't expose them too much.

Taylor, Tippett and Porplyzia will be the main forwards so:
Williams - Tippett
Everitt - Walker
Morris - Porplyzia

If Bock goes forward for any stretch with Tippett down there, not sure either of Morris, Hargrave or Everitt could really go with him.

True re: Tiller, but if he's moving ok I think he should be a good chance to come back in.

Throughandthrough
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
the worst thing is that ALL week the Adelaide Media have been calling the crows Soft; and the players have been disputing it.

Bugga.

PS wear your colours; be loud and proud.

You wont get in any strife, unless you go looking for it.

I've only been king hit once from behind there; (with a thermos...) but "normal" people jumped to my defence.

It helps if you take a small child though!

See u there; trendsetters!

LostDoggy
06-05-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm feeling okay about this game. Much better than last week. I like the stat that every team that has played the Saints has gone on to win the next week. I also don't really rate the Crows this year.

Regardless I think that if any of Hahn, Eagle or Giaplay poorly again regardless of the outcome they should be dropped.

Lastly, is anyone else tired of Sunday games?

The Coon Dog
07-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all starts on Thursdays when we name a 7 man interchange, you don't really get a feel then for who's in or out.

dog town
07-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Look for a return to form and fitness from Cooney this week. He had a 15 touch second half on the weekend and that would have done wonders for him. Always plays well at footy park as well.

Scorlibo
07-05-2009, 12:39 PM

Yes Sir! God how I want a Saturday game, it's also bad for the players to get into the habit of playing later on the weekend. I'm concerned that when we do finally get a Saturday game that our preparation will be somewhat disrupted.

Mantis
07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm concerned that when we do finally get a Saturday game that our preparation will be somewhat disrupted.

Don't have to wait long, we have one next week against Melbourne followed by a Friday night game the following week.

Dry Rot
07-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Good preview.

Had a look at some Crows forums - seems they are having as many problems as us and some interesting parallels eg dysfunctional forward line.

IIRC we've gone OK in the clearances, and may beat them there. However, we'd need to have made a lot of progress with combatting zones though.

Bulldog Revolution
07-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Good preview.

Had a look at some Crows forums - seems they are having as many problems as us and some interesting parallels eg dysfunctional forward line.

The difference being they've got a young forward who looks like he could be good in Walker, and a ruckman/forward in Tippett who has also shown promise, as well as a younger version of a Brad Johnson in Porplyzia

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
With Williams in and Addison out, we've got a pretty tall line-up and particularly considering Bock won't be playing.

Aside from Tippet, they don't have any tall timber up forward. They might throw Stevens up there too, but I don't think we'll need Lake/Williams/Everitt all playing defensive positions. Begs the question; which one of them will play forward?

Lake/Williams at FF or Everitt on a wing?

Of course, if one of our defenders are doing it tough, then we have the option to switch it around which is handy. We should be able to cover their options though - I think we've got a strong backline.

Thoughts?