PDA

View Full Version : Tackling today

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Very surprised and impressed with our efforts today across the park.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I mentioned this a while ago but they have spent a fair bit of extra time practicing their tackling skills. I thought they were particularly very good at pinning on arm to opponents body today.

Raw Toast
01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Esepecially good after the first quarter, as our pressure and intensity slowed them down and got them second guessing.

Liked Ackermanis's intensity. He made up lots of ground from behind, which might not be good news for Robbins, but Aker's tackling was a bonus I didn't expect.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2007, 08:40 PM
As soon as Boyd came on, it seemed to improve.

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Esepecially good after the first quarter, as our pressure and intensity slowed them down and got them second guessing.

Liked Ackermanis's intensity. He made up lots of ground from behind, which might not be good news for Robbins, but Aker's tackling was a bonus I didn't expect.

Ex-Lion, rugby league trained. They were good tacklers.

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Ackers skills have always been - great at gathering the ball at full pace, goal kicker and tackler - he has consistently always tackled well for a lightly framed guy

I thought our tackling had its moments today but there were still opportunities to improve. I thought mostly our spoiling in the air was fantastic - Hargraves and Wight deserve major credit for holding two bigger players

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Ackers skills have always been - great at gathering the ball at full pace, goal kicker and tackler - he has consistently always tackled well for a lightly framed guy

I thought our tackling had its moments today but there were still opportunities to improve. I thought mostly our spoiling in the air was fantastic - Hargraves and Wight deserve major credit for holding two bigger players

Agreed. There were some steps in the right direction with our tackling and intensity and our back line worked overtime at making a good contest against bigger guys.

Akermanis didn't have a great game but everything he did was pretty good. He seemed a little annoyed that Johnson missed seeing him in the square all by himself. He is a great competitor.

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Actually now that I think about it more there was some great tackling today

I thought Eagletons tackling was superb today, it really stood out - his transformation into hard working hardened veteran is complete on the back of todays work.

One of Wights, when he spoiled deep in defence and then wrapped up whoever got the crumb was a gem also

bornadog
01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
The first quarter the tacklas were even at 13 a piece, but in the second quarter we laid 20 tackles to Geelongs 10. I thought this was really the difference at the end of the game. The 7 goal quarter was a ripper and the tackling and intensity really went up a few notches.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 06:21 AM
The first quarter the tacklas were even at 13 a piece, but in the second quarter we laid 20 tackles to Geelongs 10. I thought this was really the difference at the end of the game. The 7 goal quarter was a ripper and the tackling and intensity really went up a few notches.

Agree, we showed a hardness not previously displayed by this side. As GVG has reminded us there has been a considerable effort put in here, especially in getting the technique right and turning it into a routine. I can't wait to see the replay of the second quarter.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2007, 09:41 AM
When Johnson missed Aker that was one of the funniest moments in the game. Johnson was furious with himself, and Aker looked a bit annoyed too... Johnson was just on fire, as soon as he had the ball, shot on goal. Distance, angle, all irrelevant.

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 09:44 AM
They spent session after session in summer just practising tackling. First off they would practice pinning the arm, then they would do a set of normal tackles, then a set of trying to break tackles.

Good to see it paying off-I also thought that some of our work at stoppages was very good with the setups just right.

Dry Rot
02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Good to see it paying off-I also thought that some of our work at stoppages was very good with the setups just right.

Wayne campbell?

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Wayne campbell?

I dont know that's it just him. I'm guessing he will have overall responsibilty for tactics at stoppages but most of the week to week work done on tackling seemed to be done by the conditioning coaches and Jason Mifsud.

I dont want to downplay Campbell's role, but the guys doing the work should get get some credit as well.