PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in Cattery?

NoseBleed
08-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I say, it's an hour down the road, we could pack it out with Bulldog members. If they really give us a good deal, why not go for it?

NB

Herald Sun, Mark Stevens, May 08, 2009 12:00am (Herald Sun, Mark Stevens)

THE Western Bulldogs are eyeing Geelong's Skilled Stadium as a potential venue for "home" games.
Geelong has made overtures in the past, but the Dogs are for the first time open to the idea of transferring up to two matches down the Princes Highway.

The matches would be against low-drawing interstate rivals.

A deal to play a single game in both Canberra and Darwin ends this year and any move to Geelong could be a replacement for those interstate games.

Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose yesterday confirmed the club's interest in the re-developed Skilled Stadium.

"We may be prepared to consider a commercially viable arrangement with Geelong," Rose said.

The Dogs are furious about poor cash returns at their full-time home, Etihad Stadium.

The Cats would welcome the Dogs with open arms, even if key financial negotiations would be with the City of Greater Geelong.

"In terms of helping them through the whole thing, it wouldn't be an issue for us," Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said yesterday.

The Dogs make about $750,000 in total from the Darwin and Canberra games.

Rose said the club would consider Geelong only if it could pocket significantly more at Skilled Stadium.

"Geelong have raised it many times in years gone by and it's never been very serious," Rose said. "I don't think we've been very clear before; it has to be on terms that are not unfair."

But Cook said any move would be lucrative compared to the deals on offer in Melbourne and the Cats would take only a small slice of cash.

Cook said a 15,000 crowd would make the Dogs $300,000.

"Whatever the Doggies wish to sell, they can sell and they'll keep 90c in the dollar, whereas it's 30c at the other two grounds - being Etihad and MCG," he said.

"You really only have to sell half as much to make more money."

Cook said the Cats would "skim" off a small amount for items such as beverages.

"Signage, boxes, gate receipts, merchandise - they would all be theirs," Cook said.

The Cats pocket about $650,000 from each Skilled Stadium home game and the Dogs are adamant they will not accept a cut-price deal.

"It has to be fair and equitable. We don't want another club profiting unfairly or unduly from us," Rose said. "It needs to be a transparent deal that clearly shows we are benefiting with the lion's share."

Rose ruled out playing Geelong in a "home" game at Skilled Stadium, no matter how lucrative it would be.

"It gives them not only a financial advantage, but a home-ground advantage. That would be unfair," he said.

Rose has pledged to try to bring all 11 home games back to Melbourne, but said transferring games was a fact of life in the economic climate.

The Pie Man
08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Just heard Rose on SEN, very passionate about it (as he should be) I'd be a fan of this move. He's a terrfic asset to the club

LostDoggy
08-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I like the ground and have no issue with heading down it's only an extra half our drive for me the only thing I have against it is Parking isn't as convinient however if it means the clubs bottom line increases significantly I will cop it sweet.

And at surface value it does look as though Geelong aren't trying to stich us up on it either.

If it is the right deal then go for it I say.

comrade
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
On face value the deal seems viable.

My only concern is that we’ll continue to be football nomads, moving from location to location trying to secure the best short term offer. If we are forced to sell home games, why not continue to play in Darwin and truly embrace it? Put our resources into making it a genuine home away from home in the same vein as Hawthorn and Tasmania. Obviously there are a number of differences in that comparison (distance, climate, costs involved) but (prior to Hawthorn moving in) both Launceston and Darwin are passionate football cities, don’t get regular elite football and don’t have a major team to support.

Why not play 2 or 3 games there a year, sell Darwin memberships and have players and coaches go up there regularly and put on clinics for the locals. Hell, maybe we could film a weekly kids show (sponsored by Mission of course) out of the Elite Learning Centre and beam it to Darwin.

Until stadium deals improve (and with Collins at the helm, it’ll be a while) we are forced to sell home games – I can live with that. But let’s maximize the opportunity and do it right, not just give a token effort and grab the cash before running off to the next stadium that offers a good deal.

I'd be interested to hear what other's think on this...

Mofra
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
90c in the dollar is a much better deal than either Doglands or the MCG.

If we can make the same amount of money at Skilled as we do in Darwon or Canberra, I'd be for it. It would only help the recovery of the playing group, reduce travelling costs for the club, and if we were to play 3 interstate clubs there that would provide greater revenue than our two sold games anyway.

craigsahibee
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Do they serve beer on the VLine service to Geelong?

If so, I think it's a great idea.

LostDoggy
08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I'll miss going to going to Canberra & Darwin..went to both last year and enjoyed it immensly, going to Canberra again this month..

But if it means more $ ill take a drive down the highway to the Cattery..

Max469
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
More money in coffers equals survival.

Take the deal - better on the players recovery time and better for the supporters.

Nomads we may be - but survive we will.

comrade
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Nomads we may be - but survive we will.

Thanks Yoda :D

firstdogonthemoon
08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
All those in favour say "Aye"...

All those against and horses say "Nay"...

The ayes have it, the motion is carried.

azabob
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
All those in favour say "Aye"...

All those against and horses say "Nay"...

The ayes have it, the motion is carried.

For future votes like this if you are in favour we should say "Ayce"

strebla
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM

No only on the Warnabool train this will mean a great deal to the bottom line on face value if we play out home games against intersyaters and maybe even Melbourne get what 28,000 at the cattery do it I say plus for me in Werribee it is the same for travel

1eyedog
08-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Unfortunately not but console yourself with half a dozen at the Lord of the Isles opposite the southwest corner of Kardinia Park. Good beer, large and warm environment and always lovely ladies.

1eyedog
08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
As much as it pains me to say so (growing up in Geelong and all) it seems like a smart economic move. So, aye!

LostDoggy
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Aye - Darwin is an untapped region I agree, but it takes a huge toll on our players, loosingI believe three kilos from each game. We play that game each year before the break - so that we can rest up - but it would advantage any team playing against us the following week if it was a regular fixture.

BulldogBelle
08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Aye

Travelling to Geelong will be better for the club and the players than travelling to Darwin + Canberra

No recovery issues associated with flying

hujsh
08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
3 trips to Darwin and 2 trips to Perth potentially each year?

I'll take a few at the Cattery thanks.

Aye

bornadog
08-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Its not about the Cattery, we need to resolve the stadium issue with Docklands. Its a fantastic stadium and we should be making at least 70 cents in the dollar on all gate takings, and that will give us around an extra $6 million per year (less the funds from the AFL), so $4 million. Now wouldn't that secure our future:)

westdog54
08-05-2009, 07:12 PM
If we are forced to sell home games, why not continue to play in Darwin and truly embrace it? Put our resources into making it a genuine home away from home in the same vein as Hawthorn and Tasmania.
Why not play 2 or 3 games there a year, sell Darwin memberships and have players and coaches go up there regularly and put on clinics for the locals. Hell, maybe we could film a weekly kids show (sponsored by Mission of course) out of the Elite Learning Centre and beam it to Darwin.

I've cut down your post fairly drastically so that I can address the points I need to without taking up more space than I need.

As much as I'd love us to embrace Darwin, at the end of the day if the AFL aren't going to fixture us there then its pointless.

There's all this talk about a 'boutique stadium' at Casey Fields, when in reality the Cattery is a roughly equal distance from the city. If the City of Greater Geelong and the Cats are willing to play ball and give us an equitable deal I think its the best way that we can not only help secure our bottom line, but send a clear message to Ian Collins that we're happy to take our business elsewhere if he's not keen on making rediculous amounts of money off the hard work of our players and administration.

AndrewP6
08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
My immediate reaction is sadness that we have to resort to sharing residency at such a venue... not like ES where a whole bunch of teams are "home"...but in reality, we're not exactly flushed with cash. And if that article is accurate, it sounds like a much better deal financially. If it fills the coffers, then it has a big upside.

So, begrudgingly, I'll say Aye..

NoseBleed
11-05-2009, 02:37 AM
My weekend job is a little unusual.

I got a fantastic look at the backroom workings of Skilled Stadium this Saturday.

An access all area's pass let me stroll round the stands, corporate area, bars, carpark, members area, and even the surface.

Gotta say, it's an impressive setup. For a suburban type ground, it's the next level. I'd hate to play Geelong there, but I'd love to play interstaters.

The surface was really impressive. Better than the G or Docklands.

NB

(It's a _lot_ easier to land a parachute in too...)