PDA

View Full Version : You Melbourne based guys probably missed this at the ground

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Usual stuff at the end of a TV broadcast ie the winning team singing the song.

Aker and McDougall were in the centre with the group around them in a circle spraying them with water.

The point of all this? The look on McDougall's face suggests he's found a happy home.

LostDoggy
01-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Aker and McDougall were in the centre with the group around them in a circle spraying them with water.

The point of all this? The look on McDougall's face suggests he's found a happy home.
Saw it but its not a new tradition.
New players or players playing in their first win get directed to the centre of the circle during the song.
Aker seemed to be lapping it up.

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
I know it's not a new tradition - just thought the expression on McD's face was interesting.

At one point Aker was benched and went ballistic, looking up at the coaching box. What was that all about?

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I know it's not a new tradition - just thought the expression on McD's face was interesting.

At one point Aker was benched and went ballistic, looking up at the coaching box. What was that all about?

I will watch the replay starting at 8pm. I guess he is just a passionate player who wants to be on the ground.

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2007, 10:00 PM

I actually turned to a mate during the game and said McDougall will be better once he has got this first game over with and sung the song. He's obviously still learning where to run to in our game plan etc, but he's learning from the best and he physically looks a great specimen, big, well built and athletic.

Mofra
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Rocco will be exstatic. I'm a decent game or two off joining the Droogs at this rate...

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Yes DR Doogs looked happy and well he might be. Everyone has faith in his ability to contribute. Yesterday wasn't his style of game and it showed. Equally he was a fraction tentative, but got to lots of contests and was close on a number of occasions to pulling something off.

Belief won't come instantly but all the signs are there and when he does get a bit of success it will build quickly.

LostDoggy
02-04-2007, 07:27 AM
I will watch the replay starting at 8pm. I guess he is just a passionate player who wants to be on the ground.

I saw the bit where Aker looked disgruntled at being benched. Seemed to get over it pretty quickly though.

What a pity they didn't replay the boys singing the song at the end.

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Rocco will be exstatic. I'm a decent game or two off joining the Droogs at this rate...

Believe it or not Rocco wore a 'Doogs Droogs' T-Shirt to the game.:cool:

westdog54
03-04-2007, 10:38 AM

Why would be find that hard to believe?

Cyberdoggie
03-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I saw the bit where Aker looked disgruntled at being benched. Seemed to get over it pretty quickly though.

What a pity they didn't replay the boys singing the song at the end.

i didn't see this,

i'm surprised as players aren't often "benched" these days, especially at the dogs, we rotate players so often it's not unusual to spend time on the pine.

You sure he wasn't just upset at his own performance?

i'll have to check it out

Dry Rot
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
i didn't see this,

i'm surprised as players aren't often "benched" these days, especially at the dogs, we rotate players so often it's not unusual to spend time on the pine.

Don't think so - he wsa spewing

alwaysadog
03-04-2007, 06:05 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if Rocco turned up wearing nothing at all.

Watching the replay one can see that Doogs hasn't yet worked out how hard he should go in certain situations. The pace of the game doesn't help, as when he was in defense he required instinct to know what to do and who would be where and what they would be doing. He got to the right place frequently but wasn't sure if he should claim the ball or back up his longer serving teammates. Thus he looks tentative and uncertain. It may be this that others have seen as a sign of a lack of committment, I saw no evidence of that last Sunday.

I expect Eade will have words to him over the next few weeks. It will take a few weeks to adjust.

LostDoggy
03-04-2007, 08:39 PM
i didn't see this,

i'll have to check it out

It's just that he appeared to glance up at the coach's box (but I might be imagining things). He was certainly annoyed about something.

Dry Rot
03-04-2007, 09:04 PM
It's just that he appeared to glance up at the coach's box (but I might be imaging things).

Yep, you didn't imagine it.

alwaysadog
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Yep, you didn't imagine it.

Aker is a very intense player; he would have wanted to do more on Sunday and to push himself and the team. That is the message he brings.

I suspect that perfectionist that he is, he was pissed that Johno didn't look up and see him that time in the last quarter when he just blazed away from a hopeless angle... and he would have wanted to show how to put Geelong away.

Eade on the other hand thought he'd done enough.

What's more Aker was right on both counts football wise, Eade was also right about wanting to keep Aker fresh for the long season player management wise.

It may have been a day when nearly everything our fantastic No 6 did turned to gold, but he could have done even better, that is the Aker premiership message; you have to be more mentally disciplined. Johno doesn't always think team when he's running hot, but when premierships are on the line you need to show greater discipline.

I hope we are listening because this season has to be about finding that next level.

It also will be a test of Aker; he knows what has to be done, but he can't afford to keep sacrificing his game for others as he tried to do on Sunday. His lack of ego and working for others was a startling and refreshing revelation.

So we've brought a highly intelligent, super committed player to the club who is incredibly intense about getting the best out of himself for the team, and we've already got a couple like that in Darce and Westie, just ask the trainers or the runners, the challenge is how to manage those dynamics.

It's a challenge I supect Eade is not only equal to, but one he is looking forward to with keen anticipation.

Twodogs
03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Aker is a very intense player; he would have wanted to do more on Sunday and to push himself and the team. That is the message he brings.

I suspect that perfectionist that he is, he was pissed that Johno didn't look up and see him that time in the last quarter when he just blazed away from a hopeless angle... and he would have wanted to show how to put Geelong away.

Eade on the other hand thought he'd done enough.

What's more Aker was right on both counts football wise, Eade was also right about wanting to keep Aker fresh for the long season player management wise.

It may have been a day when nearly everything our fantastic No 6 did turned to gold, but he could have done even better, that is the Aker premiership message; you have to be more mentally disciplined. Johno doesn't always think team when he's running hot, but when premierships are on the line you need to show greater discipline.

I hope we are listening because this season has to be about finding that next level.

It also will be a test of Aker; he knows what has to be done, but he can't afford to keep sacrificing his game for others as he tried to do on Sunday. His lack of ego and working for others was a startling and refreshing revelation.

So we've brought a highly intelligent, super committed player to the club who is incredibly intense about getting the best out of himself for the team, and we've already got a couple like that in Darce and Westie, just ask the trainers or the runners, the challenge is how to manage those dynamics.

It's a challenge I supect Eade is not only equal to, but one he is looking forward to with keen anticipation.

More than once on sunday all the players stopped, from both sides, but Aka just kept going. Each time the umpire called him back but I thought it was interesting.

mjp
05-04-2007, 01:13 PM

One of the kids I coach is in this years AIS intake. They aren't allowed to call the bench 'the bench'. It has to be referred too as the 'rotation station' if you can believe it.

Raw Toast
05-04-2007, 06:22 PM
One of the kids I coach is in this years AIS intake. They aren't allowed to call the bench 'the bench'. It has to be referred too as the 'rotation station' if you can believe it.

Gawd. And I thought 'training services' was bad enough. While I'm at it, all this 'our brand' stuff irks me as well. It's not like we can copy-right our game-plan or anything like that.

alwaysadog
05-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Gawd. And I thought 'training services' was bad enough. While I'm at it, all this 'our brand' stuff irks me as well. It's not like we can copy-right our game-plan or anything like that.

This corporate state language is a problem. It dominated thinking in business and government from the mid 80s to the mid 00s. The mood has changed but many can't throw off the shackles it imposed.

If we want to be exciting and different; the qualities that have always been characteristics of the Bulldogs IMO, a corollary is that we need to employ language that speaks to the supporters and not to the business regulators.

The corporate BS was designed stultify and make manageable all individualism and initiative let alone make creativity redundant.

Why when we have the wherewithall to do things differently are we clinging to the language of a former era? Aker has come to us to escape from its clutches: if we want what he brings we need to look at why he chose us.

firstdogonthemoon
05-04-2007, 11:11 PM
alright

I wont call it a "brand" any more. (My friend Rodney said he didnt like at the footy show).

should it be profile?

have we all read don watson?

alwaysadog
05-04-2007, 11:35 PM
alright

I wont call it a "brand" any more. (My friend Rodney said he didnt like at the footy show).

should it be profile?

have we all read don watson?

Even went to his book launch.

Twodogs
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm not gonna let the language nazis tell me what to say. BRAND BRAND BRAND!

alwaysadog
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm not gonna let the language nazis tell me what to say. BRAND BRAND BRAND!

So I'm heating up the old iron; which cheek, left or right?

On a more serious note what the new language is doing is redefining our world and what is important in it. Which word represents your feeling for the Bulldogs, club or brand? A club has certain obligations to its supporters that a brand doesn't. Don't get me wrong, in the right context the idea of brand is important, but the way it goes today that context is universal and ignores other possibly more important considerations and imperatives.

Go_Dogs
06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I blame a case involving the WAFL, and Adamson I believe, it was for the corporate face of football today. Not that it's a bad thing really. Club > Brand.

Twodogs
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
So I'm heating up the old iron; which cheek, left or right?

On a more serious note what the new language is doing is redefining our world and what is important in it. Which word represents your feeling for the Bulldogs, club or brand? A club has certain obligations to its supporters that a brand doesn't. Don't get me wrong, in the right context the idea of brand is important, but the way it goes today that context is universal and ignores other possibly more important considerations and imperatives.

Club is much better than brand. Unless someone tries to force you to use the word club, then I would say brand just to annoy them.;)

The two words are mutually exclusive to an extent anyway.

alwaysadog
06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Club is much better than brand. Unless someone tries to force you to use the word club, then I would say brand just to annoy them.;)

The two words are mutually exclusive to an extent anyway.

Or perhaps it's what brand excludes that worries me, when they are used interchangeably.