PDA

View Full Version : If a free kick was a free kick

ledge
09-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Just a thought had about a rule change and how much it would change football as we know it.
What if the great Geishen decided a free kick was a free KICK and you could not handball, bringing the game back to FOOTball, in the 60s it was quite rare to see a handball off a free, nowadays its more a free handball than kick.
The game would be turned on its head as we know it now.
What players do you think would become redundant or be less damaging? Ruckman would have to learn to kick for a start.

LostDoggy
09-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I swear they trialled this a while ago....:confused:

Mofra
09-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Thats an interesting concept (great OP). Would it lead to more zoning, as the opposition could all sit more than 15m off the free kicker knowing anything shorter would be play on?

The Coon Dog
09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Stupid idea if you ask me. The side that's infringed against should get the best possible benefit & if that' a kick, handball or an advantage call then I have no problems with that.

boydogs
09-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Players would just kick to themselves like they do when kicking out from the goalsquare after a behind

ledge
09-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Stupid idea if you ask me. The side that's infringed against should get the best possible benefit & if that' a kick, handball or an advantage call then I have no problems with that.

Didnt say it was a good idea, it just hit me when they say free kick all the time and in reality it hardly ever is.
Was just a hypothetical.

LostDoggy
09-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Didnt say it was a good idea, it just hit me when they say free kick all the time and in reality it hardly ever is.
Was just a hypothetical.

Careful when you have ideas dude, in this place, any idea/opinion you have must be backed up with stats, facts, figures, graphs and sometimes a white board;)

ledge
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Dexter quite funny though because i put up a question up and no one answered it at all.
My question was if hypothetically it was a free kick as they say, what players would suffer?
Although i think Mofra gave a kind of response to the question.

hujsh
09-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Maybe there would be a sudden spike in temporary injuries to players who receive free kicks?

soupman
09-05-2009, 10:14 PM
The game would suffer, because it just encourages more zoning. No need to worry about the hands to the runners, just plant your entire side in a 50m zone around the player, and watch them turn it over.

Players that would suffer wouldn't be the Daniel Cross', they would be the Ryan Griffen's and Lindsay Gilbee's, the players that often get going thanks to handballs from stop plays.

boydogs
09-05-2009, 11:25 PM
If kicking it to yourself was allowed, or a couple of metres to someone else, I can not see how this could change the impact that players could have - yes it would be play on but so is handball. In the modern game with full time professional players and support staff you have to really think through the implications of a change and how teams would work around it.

Something the AFL has looked at in the pre season is extending the minimum distance a kick must travel for a mark - this may mean more flooding as opposition players can hang further back knowing that a short kick will not count as a mark and will be play on

bornadog
10-05-2009, 12:17 AM

In the preseason cup.

Sedat
10-05-2009, 12:48 AM
It came in as a fully fledged rule for only one season in the VFL - I reckon it was either 1987 or 1988. And it was quickly dispensed with under howls of protest from the players.

If a player handballed after a free kick it was a ball-up - I remember seeing many players standing bewildered while the umpire bounced the ball.

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I KNEW IT. I remembered this a while I go....it got quickly dumped.

Dogs 24/7
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
It came in as a fully fledged rule for only one season in the VFL - I reckon it was either 1987 or 1988. And it was quickly dispensed with under howls of protest from the players.

If a player handballed after a free kick it was a ball-up - I remember seeing many players standing bewildered while the umpire bounced the ball.

I remember this as well and it was another change just for the sake of it.