PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Griffen start to '09

BornInDroopSt'54
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Ryan's had a disappointing start to the season. Having paid his dues in the backline and spent a season on the ball, many thought (including me) his speed, kicking and shimmying would see him step up a gear or two. He had the opportunity to take the spotlight with Cooney out but struggled shaking off tags.
Has his father's death and a subsequent life check led to homesickness and the loss of the edge off his desire for the battlefield? What're the prognoses please?

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I know what you are saying, he has been a little bit disappionting. But he has been pretty good just not dominating, his game against Freo was good and he was very good against North Melbourne, his other games have been good but not exceptional. He has been a good contributed every week and will be helped out with the return to full fitness of Cooney and Higgins coming back into the side.

Dazza
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I noticed him limping around against Carlton. Had an issue with his hip today as well. Hasn't been bad just not as good as I was expecting.

AndrewP6
10-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I think he might have a slight hip problem... hasn't set the world on fire, but definitely a star...maybe since his father passed away, it has affected him..although it would surprise me...

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Griffen always looks like he is limping.

AndrewP6
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Griffen always looks like his is limping.

Good point, he does kind of walk funny like that:)

BornInDroopSt'54
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Since he played on Ablett and cleaned him up, that game (three seasons ago?) when we won against the odds and he claimed Geelong had underestimated us, he has shown skills that seem like he's 'on the bit' and just waiting to let loose. In that game, with Ablett on his hammer, near full speed, he changed direction in one step, Ablett read him and did the same and Griffen changed direction with the next step to leave Ablett in his wake. It was the birth of a star and he's shown he's an elite player since then without really dominating games in the way you know he will. Or maybe it's just hope and he may not be a class above the field, just a 'good ordinary player'?

BulldogBelle
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
He was geting the oppositions number 1 tagger with Conney out of action earlier in the year which would have made things tough

He's only young, and probably still developing his tank to run at 100% for the entire game

It doesnt seem like he has the fitness or the gut running ability of some of our other players

Maybe he will never be a player who can run all day ie Cross, West, Boyd, Libba due to genetics, which may make his more of a 'sprinter', and less of a 'marathon runner'

BornInDroopSt'54
10-05-2009, 10:52 PM
He was geting the oppositions number 1 tagger with Conney out of action earlier in the year which would have made things tough

He's only young, and probably still developing his tank to run at 100% for the entire game

It doesnt seem like he has the fitness or the gut running ability of some of our other players

Maybe he will never be a player who can run all day ie Cross, West, Boyd, Libba due to genetics, which may make his more of a 'sprinter', and less of a 'marathon runner'

Yes maybe that's the point. The obvious comparison is with Cooney, who was drafted the year before him, and is ten months older. Cooney won the Brownlow in what is the equivalent of this year for Griffen...After seeing Cooney's first year, when he ran near the ball but rarely touched it, and seeing Griffs first year, I thought Griff would be better than Cooney, Delidio and maybe Franklin (who was picked after him) but I'm doubting that now.
There's an elusive X factor that prevents some talented players and potential champs from going all the way. It's maybe one of destiny/hardness/desire/taste for the big stage/ego/self belief....I hope he goes on with it.

Go_Dogs
10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Was good today, although well held. I think he's had a pretty good year considering he's basically been our #1 target each week. As Cooney returns to form should help Griff out.

ledge
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I think your all being a bit over the top, he was best on ground in one game this year, won whatever medal it was and also was probably near on our best player the first game.

Its a team game, you dont want the same players getting in the best every week, i remember complaints being made on its always the same best players with us, now its different ones people tend to expect the same ones every week?

Griffen is doing his job he is fine and with all that has gone on lately in his life he is going great.

1eyedog
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
He probably played the best game of this season the week after his father passed. I think as others have stated that the oppositions best stopper has gone to him rather than Cooney. It is a real struggle trying to shake a no. 1 tagger, Deliedo still hasn't learned and Dal Santo has only just worked it out. Cooney back in the side will help him out but he needs to learn how to do this if he is to become elite. He may struggle while he learns.

Go_Dogs
11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
He may struggle while he learns.

This is true, but if he continues doing the team things (he laid 7 tackles on the weekend) he still gives good value.

Just a matter of time before it all clicks for Griff, and bad luck for whoever our opponents are that day.

Scorlibo
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
The last time we played Port, Griff polled 2 Brownlow votes, let's hope he can gain a bit of confidence from that game going into this one and put in a 25+ disposal performance for only the third time in his career! C'mon Griff, demand the pill!

Ozza
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't have any stats to back this up (and am hopefully somewhere near the mark)- but I have always felt as though Griff played pretty well in interstate games as a general rule. I can remember some very good performances in WA, Brisbane and last year in Darwin in particular.

What I'm hoping for is a 4 quarter performance. At the moment he flashes into games and does some spectacular and damaging things - but disappears for whole quarters at a time. Hopefully he burns the Power on saturday night.