PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs - Round 8 v Melbourne

bornadog
10-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Higgins should come back in, I believe a bit of groin soreness. I guess its going to be a case of match ups.

In Higgins

Out Everitt - didn't seem to judge the ball well in the air and overall beaten today by a couple of young players.

Hudson still out of touch and again beaten in the ruck, but would Eade drop him?

The Coon Dog
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
What a difference a week makes & thankfully none of us on here are coaching the Doggies.

Obviously Higgins to return for one of Everitt (wasn't great today & last in, first out) or Picken (no real match up).

AndrewP6
10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
IN - Higgins if fit
OUT - maybe Everitt..

Hudson won't get dropped...

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Have to agree with TCD.

Higgins for either Everitt or Picken.

I'm thinking Everitt may get dropped, Melbourne don't really have a tall line-up and unfortunately Walker was too good for Everitt today.

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd put Everitt out before Picken..he did a great job on macca, I think he could be useful against thier younger players maybe Cale Morton who gets it a bit..

lemmon
10-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd put Everitt out before Picken..he did a great job on macca, I think he could be useful against thier younger players maybe Cale Morton who gets it a bit..

Cale will have a bit of size on Picken, I would play him on Aaron Davey whos probably been the dees best player.

AndrewP6
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM

I agree, I think Picken could do that sort of job...put pressure on a ball winner, which in turn puts pressure on others...

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking Everitt may get dropped, Melbourne don't really have a tall line-up and unfortunately Walker was too good for Everitt today.

Walker did most of his damage against Williams.

Higgins obviously has to come back in if fit but I wouldn't have any more outs, amazing how much one game can change things!

Picken, Welsh or Everitt are only 3 I can see being dropped. Welsh adds something to our forward structure, Picken keeps on doing his job and Bruce/Davey are potential match ups for him and I would love to give Everitt a bit more of a run but I think he has to be the one who makes way.

The Pie Man
10-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Picken to get Aaron Davey? I'd think they'd find someone for him.
If Higgins is fit, he'd likely be the only inclusion - while Ward was again in the best, it didn't sound like he was really knocking the door down.

Eade was rewarded for his patience, even if it did take til after half time for the likes of Hahn and Gia to contribute.

Rance Fan
10-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Walker did most of his damage against Williams.

Higgins obviously has to come back in if fit but I wouldn't have any more outs, amazing how much one game can change things!

Picken, Welsh or Everitt are only 3 I can see being dropped. Welsh adds something to our forward structure, Picken keeps on doing his job and Bruce/Davey are potential match ups for him and I would love to give Everitt a bit more of a run but I think he has to be the one who makes way.

I agree. Williams was the one who looked shakey early on. Eade had a go at him at quarter time.Everitt was ok, and gave some good dash from the back half.

For me id have Hudson out Skipper in.

I think Huddos struggling, but always tries hard. Just not athletic enough.
Id rest Johnno for Higgins also. Johnno hasnt dominated much this year.

The Pie Man
10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree. Williams was the one who looked shakey early on. Eade had a go at him at quarter time.Everitt was ok, and gave some good dash from the back half.

For me id have Hudson out Skipper in.

I think Huddos struggling, but always tries hard. Just not athletic enough.
Id rest Johnno for Higgins also. Johnno hasnt dominated much this year.

The rest part I get, but the captain was pretty good today

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Picken to get Aaron Davey? I'd think they'd find someone for him.

Davey's pace would be a massive worry but I am not sure whether we have a better option than Picken and I think he is their most dangerous player.

BulldogBelle
10-05-2009, 09:19 PM
In: Higgins

Out: Everitt

Would like to ponder Skipper for Hudson

Hudson tries very hard, and think the big guy would benefit from being a tad fresher from having a week off here and there. He isnt a massive ruckman, and his style of high leaping and bash n crash at the centre bounce to get hard balls would be taxing on his body and energy consuming.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Hudson for Skipper is worth thinking about but I still think Hudson offers enough atm. He didn't have a big game, but he ended up with 7 tackles and his hard work in the middle really helps us in the clearances.

Scorlibo
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I think Harbrow would be the most likely to go to Davey, who is the only player worth tagging in the Melbourne line-up. I think Everitt needs to be retained in the side for a long period because he's a big part of our future. Is also better to go small-->small for structural reasons.

Out: Picken

Mofra
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Davey's pace would be a massive worry but I am not sure whether we have a better option than Picken and I think he is their most dangerous player.
Harbrow as the other option? Thought he was quite good today.

hujsh
10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't get the attraction with Skip. Clearly behind Hudson and Minson in terms of rucking ability which is what we'd be picking him as.

Seems to be this years Street IMO who'll tear the VFL apart but fail epically at AFL level.

I can support resting Hudson though to ensure his effectiveness throughout the year.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Yep, Harbrow is a good match for Davey. I was thinking that after the game and then forgot about him!

Picken can take Cam Bruce.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Resting Hudson wouldn't be such a bad idea.

He burnt out towards the latter part of last year when we really needed him, and I'd hate to see that happen again.

It wouldn't be such a bad move to rest him and play Skipper, but I doubt we'll see that happen.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Resting Hudson wouldn't be such a bad idea.

He burnt out towards the latter part of last year when we really needed him, and I'd hate to see that happen again.

It wouldn't be such a bad move to rest him and play Skipper, but I doubt we'll see that happen.

I would find it very exciting if we played Skipper, he is my new cult hero. Wayde Skipper isn't that bad really for a 3rd ruck option appreciation society has a nice ring to it imo.

hujsh
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I would find it very exciting if we played Skipper, he is my new cult hero. Wayde Skipper isn't that bad really for a 3rd ruck option appreciation society has a nice ring to it imo.

I think that'd be a curse on him.

Didn't DFA become the new hero after Doogs and now he's dropped?

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Yeah, though technically I helped DFA. He became my hero, he then got a few games. I dropped him as a hero before he was dropped from our side.

comrade
10-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Life is a tightrope when you're a cult hero...

boydogs
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
This week may be a good time to rest some players and bring in others knocking the door down for a game - Callan, Addison, Ward, Grant, O'Keefe, Skipper, Tiller. Welsh and Williams back in the side not great today, both may benefit from a break - looked like we continued the theme of bringing players back too early as in the case of Murphy and Cooney who only came good today. But it's good to be talking 'rested' rather than 'dropped'.

Out: Welsh, Williams
In: Higgins (if fit)/Skipper, Callan (if fit)/Addison

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 10:27 PM
This week may be a good time to rest some players and bring in others knocking the door down for a game

lol, I remember people saying that when were going to West Coast. People talking about resting Johno and Hudson and Aker. We played them all and get smashed. We can't be arrogant.

hujsh
10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, though technically I helped DFA. He became my hero, he then got a few games. I dropped him as a hero before he was dropped from our side.

So when you dropped him he was soon dropped? Maybe you were propping Doogs up all that time and the cult hero status will make Skipper our new no.1 ruck/forward.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 10:34 PM
So when you dropped him he was soon dropped? Maybe you were propping Doogs up all that time and the cult hero status will make Skipper our new no.1 ruck/forward.

Yeah I actually think I help out my cult heroes, it's just that they can't help themselves.

Anyways, I think I am railroading this thread now.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
If it makes it easier for anyone, Cal Ward was the only player to remotely put his hand up this weekk at VFL level.

Unless Eade wants to blood Stack against a lesser team. I wouldn;t be against it, I think he needs some AFL time ASAP. I'll put my money he will be like Josh Hill and excell at the level above as opposed to stagnate at the VFL.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
If it makes it easier for anyone, Cal Ward was the only player to remotely put his hand up this weekk at VFL level.

Unless Eade wants to blood Stack against a lesser team. I wouldn;t be against it, I think he needs some AFL time ASAP. I'll put my money he will be like Josh Hill and excell at the level above as opposed to stagnate at the VFL.

I really can't imagine us making two changes, I think it is already harsh to drop one but we have to with Higgins.

Would like to see Ward have a bit of a spell at Willy. Maybe it will teach him the value of a good pre-season.

The Adelaide Connection
10-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I am hesitant to ever write off Melbourne and I mean them no disrespect, but I think this is the perfect opportunity to rest a few players that might be a little under 100%. Hudson is seemingly one of them as mentioned, but there are probably a few others we don't even know about.

Eade talked about managing the list over the first 6 weeks or whatever due to the tough schedule but so far there hasn't really been any unforced changes. I am not talking about changing up the entire team, that could be bad for business with the cats the fololowing week, but being honest and giving blokes that need it a spell.

AndrewP6
10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
I am hesitant to ever write off Melbourne and I mean them no disrespect, but I think this is the perfect opportunity to rest a few players that might be a little under 100%. Hudson is seemingly one of them as mentioned, but there are probably a few others we don't even know about.

Bear in mind that the Dees only lost today to the Eagles by 8 points, and we got belted by the Weagles...

boydogs
10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
lol, I remember people saying that when were going to West Coast. People talking about resting Johno and Hudson and Aker. We played them all and get smashed. We can't be arrogant.

We didn't beat West Coast, perhaps we should have gone over with a younger, more fleet of foot side. This would have meant the rested players were fresher the week after and the week after that (our losses to Carlton and St Kilda). We still haven't rested any of those three, so maybe it is time now. Hudson has had two bad games in a row now so maybe he could be a candidate.

This week would be good not just because of the low quality opposition but also because we are now 8 weeks in and yet to rest anyone, the mid year break is soon so resting does not make as much sense after next week, we are coming off an interstate trip, we will have a 6 day break, we have several players showing form in the VFL and we have to play Geelong the week after following a second 6 day break

Additionally, resting Welsh and Williams because they are recovering from injury and not yet at their best is the opposite of arrogant, in refusing to play these guys as passengers during recovery to fast track their return to form and instead playing players who are ready to go

Rocco Jones
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Resting Hudson does make sense but his hard to tell if he actually needs it. Hudson always looks uncomfortable to me but he adds enough to the side via tackles and contest possessions to stay in thee 22.

If he is a bit sore it definitely would be an idea to rest him against the Dees. No disrespect to them, but I think they have a weak ruck division and they are the perfect side to do it against. Still though, I would only do it if Team Eade thought he really would benefit from a rest. We also can increase Will's TOG/time in the ruck to help freshen up the bearded one.

BulldogBelle
10-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Do blokes really need a rest after 7 rounds? Hudson was good i thought after half time. We would miss him greatly for his hard grunt work at stoppages/centre work. I don't think Skipper can do that, and Mkinson can't do it for sustained periods, he seems to have bursts only. Melbourne's ruck division is weakish, but then wouldn't that be a good area for us to exploit via Hudson?

The Adelaide Connection
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Do blokes really need a rest after 7 rounds?

Ordinarily I would say no, but the schedule has been tough especially since the two Perth games were played in 36 odd degrees.

alwaysadog
11-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Life is a tightrope when you're a cult hero...

A definite nomination for quote of the year

BulldogBelle
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Ordinarily I would say no, but the schedule has been tough especially since the two Perth games were played in 36 odd degrees.

Yes valid point.

ledge
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I would like to see Melb injury list, would be a few now i imagine.

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Higgins for Picken.

Welsh needs some time to get back into the groove, and I think Picken's negating role will not be required against Melbourne.

We are playing a side this week that has had it's ruck stocks depleted significantly. It could be the one time in the year we rest Huddo and give Skipper or Roughhead a run.

Ozza
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Bit of perspective needed I think. We had a good win. There won't be many changes.

Higgins will come back in. And I'd say Welsh will miss (probably needs to sharpen up a little - bit rusty).

Staggered that Everitt is getting canned by quite a few. Williams was pantsed by Walker - and Everitt was very solid in defence on him after half time. I think Everitt's two weeks back in the side have both been good.

Picken has to stay. He will run with Davey in the midfield - there is no way Harbrow would get Davey - as Davey will play on the wing again. Picko played his role really well again today - keeps doing welll on the big names and attacks the ball harder than anyone in the side..

Happy Days
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Picken has to stay. He will run with Davey in the midfield - there is no way Harbrow would get Davey - as Davey will play on the wing again. Picko played his role really well again today - keeps doing welll on the big names and attacks the ball harder than anyone in the side..

Agreed.

Picken has to at least get first crack. Harbrow likely to go to Benell or Jetta.

As for changes, I would probably take out Everitt. Melbourne's forward line isn't overly tall, and shouldn't be able to stretch us for height.

Resting Hudson could really restrict us in the game. Paul Johnson is basically doing all of their ruckwork, and he's no Dean Cox. If we play two ruckmen, we could easily monster him and go a long way to dominating the centre clearances.

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Fair call with Picken on Davey. Davey is really their most potentially damaging running player. Nullify him completely (as I trust Liam can) and we're in a good position to quell Melbourne's forays forward. I still think we need to persist with Welsh though. He leads confidently and even though he was rusty as f-ck yesterday he gives us another outlet.

The Adelaide Connection
11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I know I have got overflowing buckets of getting ahead of myself, but does anyone else hope Ablett is back in in time for us so Picken can eat him for breakfast too? :D

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
IN: Higgins Addison

OUT: Hahn Picken

Happy Days
11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I know I have got overflowing buckets of getting ahead of myself, but does anyone else hope Ablett is back in in time for us so Picken can eat him for breakfast too? :D

Short answer, no.

Shorter answer, let's just focus on the dees :)

craigsahibee
11-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Oh great. Another bloody T-Shirt

GVGjr
11-05-2009, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure how you can promote Addison unless you have a specific match-up in mind?
Callan has done a good job on Davey before and might be something that the coach wants to try again.

Scraggers
11-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Disagree with your outs

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure how you can promote Addison unless you have a specific match-up in mind?
Callan has done a good job on Davey before and might be something that the coach wants to try again.

I think he would be a good opponent for Russell Robertson or Ricky Petterd

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Disagree with your outs

I think Hahn is out of form and I don't think there is a match up for Picken although I think he is in our best 22

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Can't agree with Mitch's omission.
Mitch's workrate was much better this week. 8 tackles the most of any of our guys on the weekend.

You could make a case for Pickens' exclusion on a match-up basis, but given the hardness he brings to the side, and the fact he more than did his job on McLeod on Sunday I'd be inclined to leave him in.

I can only see one out to make way for Higgins return and that would be Welsh who looked very rusty, and for mine needs a couple of solid weeks at Willy.

The Underdog
11-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Eade talked about managing the list over the first 6 weeks or whatever due to the tough schedule but so far there hasn't really been any unforced changes. I am not talking about changing up the entire team, that could be bad for business with the cats the fololowing week, but being honest and giving blokes that need it a spell.

Resting Hudson does make sense but his hard to tell if he actually needs it. Hudson always looks uncomfortable to me but he adds enough to the side via tackles and contest possessions to stay in thee 22.

If he is a bit sore it definitely would be an idea to rest him against the Dees. No disrespect to them, but I think they have a weak ruck division and they are the perfect side to do it against. Still though, I would only do it if Team Eade thought he really would benefit from a rest. We also can increase Will's TOG/time in the ruck to help freshen up the bearded one.

Sure there's things like form and fitness to consider but how can we drop Hudson when anywhere up to a dozen spectator's will be wearing humorous t-shirts that bear his likeness? Think of the big picture people...

AndrewP6
11-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Don't want to bring up old issues...but how long do we need to recover? The WC game was nearly a month ago...

Rocco Jones
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Sure there's things like form and fitness to consider but how can we drop Hudson when anywhere up to a dozen spectator's will be wearing humorous t-shirts that bear his likeness? Think of the big picture people...

Very good point. I ordered my shirt a few days ago and I will be enormously pissed off if he is dropped and/or shaves his beard.

The Adelaide Connection
11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Don't want to bring up old issues...but how long do we need to recover? The WC game was nearly a month ago...

That's true, but the idea was players were going to be rested to keep the squad fresh. That never happened and whether that contributed to the three losses in a row, well I guess we will never know.

Eade did come out and publicly say that they put so much emphasis on recovery that they probably neglected skills and so, based on that, you could certainly say that the draw had some effect. Therefore sticking to the original plan, resting some players and getting some games into younger blokes, would have meant that the three losses may have still been losses but at least we would have got some game time in players like Skipper and Okeefe and some other blokes would have had a freshen up that may help them down the track. But that is the beauty of hindsight.

It is a very long season and factors like extreme heat, long roadtrips, shorter turnarounds, and players age, etc are things that will effect a players performance (and maybe not this week or next, but as the season grows old) and when there are guys tearing it up at VFL level a change here or there seems sensible. God knows i couldn't cope with another late season fadeout.

Bumper Bulldogs
11-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I was told that Griffen might get a rest due to pulling up sore, Higgo straight in.

Would love Skip to get a run also as we don't need him dropping his head.

boydogs
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
resting some players and getting some games into younger blokes, would have meant that the three losses may have still been losses but at least we would have got some game time in players like Skipper and Okeefe and some other blokes would have had a freshen up that may help them down the track. But that is the beauty of hindsight

Lots of posters on this forum had the foresight to suggest this in the lead up to the WCE Perth trip

Scraggers
12-05-2009, 02:15 AM
I think Hahn is out of form and I don't think there is a match up for Picken although I think he is in our best 22

Picken can run with Davey all day ... he'll teach Davey a thing or two about gut running

And as mentioned, Mitch is on the way up ... wrong time to drop him

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Rest Johno or whoever, give Stack a game.

Played reasonably well on the weekend, but the times i cringed occured generaly in 2 instances. (1) Being overly unselfish and not haning a shot, being too team orientated. (2) Against poor circumstances and play, it brought him down to that level and he stuffed up.

Hence, my theory is going every day now, like Josh Hill, the higher grade you play them, the higher their performance will be. He can do some very special things and i could imagine him and his pace with Ish Harbrow and even Lynch (if he keeps doing what he has to - his magoos game was 30 tocuhes and 5 goals and a few hand offs).

bornadog
12-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Picken will go to Morton.

Russell Roberston has a great leap and will probably be picked up by Morris.

Remi Moses
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Gee shocking weekend for you Adelaide connection.:p:p

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
My changes:

IN - Higgins [if fit]
OUT - Everitt

If Griffen doesn't come up with his hip, Ward to take his place.

Everitt still looks as though he lacks real intensity, and was out muscled too easily on a few occasions, plus i don't think he has a real match up against Melbourne.

Higgins is a no brainer to slot straight back in if fit.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Short answer, no.

Shorter answer, let's just focus on the dees

I feel compelled to point out that your shorter answer is longer than your short answer.

Happy Days
12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I feel compelled to point out that your shorter answer is longer than your short answer.

Not if you look at it chronologically ;)

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Not if you look at it chronologically ;)

Now you're just messing with mah mind... :)

The Adelaide Connection
12-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Gee shocking weekend for you Adelaide connection.:p:p

:confused:

Did I also mention :confused:

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Out: Everitt

I really like Everitt and I don't believe he deserves to be dropped but I can't think of anyone else to sub for Higgins.

alwaysadog
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Especially as the first one at least was played in much cooler conditions than expected. Rocket said it didn't get above 27 degrees.

AndrewP6
12-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Especially as the first one at least was played in much cooler conditions than expected. Rocket said it didn't get above 27 degrees.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...:)

alwaysadog
13-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence...:)

It's not personal, it's about accuracy, and it had a bearing on the degree of recovery needed. It's easy to hear the information before the game and to miss the little details especially when we did well. Apologies if you thought it was an attack on you.