Mofra
12-05-2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25465191-19742,00.html

Bwahahahahaha

Zero sympathy you Bulldog hating tool

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I love the universe. All come around.

Now that ch9 show and we can be GT free. The way life should be.

Mantis
12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
A couple of delightful posts proceed me.:rolleyes:

As with some of the comments in the thread on the Unleashed board I haven't always agreed with what has come out GT's mouth, but I don't mind his boldness.

Beats the hell out of listening to 90% of the media folk who either don't have opinions and aren't 'ballsy' enough to express them, but I suppose they are the smart ones cause atleast they have a job. What is this world coming to.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
A couple of delightful posts proceed me.:rolleyes:

As with some of the comments in the thread on the Unleashed board I haven't always agreed with what has come out GT's mouth, but I don't mind his boldness.

Beats the hell out of listening to 90% of the media folk who either don't have opinions and aren't 'ballsy' enough to express them, but I suppose they are the smart ones cause atleast they have a job. What is this world coming to.
Bold and ballsy and willing to express an opinion.

The guy was a hack footballer, hack football administrator, got a coaching gig he had no right to including inheriting the bist list, which he took backwards and got into financial poo with the ex-President.

The media world didn't want him and he fell into SEN where he constant criticism of a top 4 side, The WBFC, got him attention for saying something different.

I would argue that bold and ballsy is not GT, stupid, ill-informed, biased and without right to be making public comment. He should never have got the gig on Ch9 - but Archer wasn't right for the role either. GT is a tool and people are catching on.

Interesting one man sees boldness and yet another sees biased tool making comments for the hell of it. Got to love human perspective.

1eyedog
12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Another death knell in the right to free speech in the AFL. I am generally neutral to Thomas even though he is an ego-maniac. His motives are often questioned but at least he generates discussion on prickly issues.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
St Kilda sacked him.
The Age sacked him.
SEN sacked him.

People should get it, so should he. People don't him.

Cyberdoggie
12-05-2009, 10:45 AM
My opinion of Harvey aside,
It was interesting watching GT squirm his way around the comments he made about him being a "second rate coach" on that show on ch 9 last night. He wouldn't apologize or say he was wrong, just said "he's doing an excellent job at the moment", and "it was a brave decision to put Tarrant to fb and it seems to be going ok at the moment"

The Pie Man
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Just thought I'd paste the text of the article in, I couldn't see it on the thread - oh and if it's got to do wit criticising umpiring, Dermott would be the first one fired, so it's an interesting one. Maybe he's just un-popular

REVEALED: GRANT Thomas was sacked by radio station SEN last night because of his constant ridiculing of umpires and the AFL. Despite denials from the AFL, it is believed officials voiced concern to SEN management about Thomas's views as special comments man and on the station's pre-game program, Crunch Time.

SEN is in talks with the AFL over a new media deal, central to which is the calling of games.

Thomas said last night: "It's disappointing, I really enjoyed the medium."

Asked whether his often controversial comments on AFL issues was the cause of his sacking, he said: "That's something you have to talk to SEN about, I'm not aware of that."

Warned to curb his commentary, Thomas opened Saturday morning's program with praise for AFL bosses Andrew Demetriou, Adrian Anderson and umpires chief Jeff Gieschen - though it was considered sarcastic by some.

Station manager Barrie Quick phoned the former St Kilda coach to request a meeting, where Thomas was told his contract was terminated.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane last night said: "It's got nothing to do with us. It is a matter for SEN."

Thomas was stunned and saddened by the decision.

"It is really disappointing, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the radio. SEN has been fantastic, it's great for the people. The people there are tremendous and to that end I'm very disappointinted I'm doing something I enjoy," he said.

"I am surprised as I was at St Kilda and as I was at The Age when I got terminated, but in the famous words of John Candy, 'Is there a little similarity here?'

"I think the public wants the truth, wants the facts, the inside information. I think they want the whole story. I think they are interested in the confrontational issues.

"We have a great game, it's passionate, it's tribal. There are a lot of vested interests and it's going to get worse before it gets better, but I think the public likes transparency, they want to get closer to the game, and it doesn't mean they have to agree with everything that is said."

Thomas joined Channel 9 this year as the replacement for former North Melbourne defender Glenn Archer on Footy Classified.

1eyedog
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Bold and ballsy and willing to express an opinion.

The guy was a hack footballer, hack football administrator, got a coaching gig he had no right to including inheriting the bist list, which he took backwards and got into financial poo with the ex-President.

The media world didn't want him and he fell into SEN where he constant criticism of a top 4 side, The WBFC, got him attention for saying something different.

I would argue that bold and ballsy is not GT, stupid, ill-informed, biased and without right to be making public comment. He should never have got the gig on Ch9 - but Archer wasn't right for the role either. GT is a tool and people are catching on.

Interesting one man sees boldness and yet another sees biased tool making comments for the hell of it. Got to love human perspective.

He's not that stupid he was employed under all the titles listed above. He is biased and that where his opinion is derived. Ill-informed? He's about as informed as the rest of them but sometimes his personal opinion gets in the way and why does he not have the right to public comment, is this Nazi Germany? He was sacked from all the above because he is not P.C, super conservative, because he is the devil on the shoulder and yes, probably because he is a tool at times.

Furthermore, you don't need to be a gun footballer to be a commentator/special comments man just half a brain regarding the science of the game. Bailey wasn't a gun footballer neither was Craig really. Who really knows why he and Butters fell out? Do you? Butters is as dodgy as the next person if you ask me.

Thomas also inherited a list that was talented but young and inexperienced, sure he had some odd views like not rating ruckmen etc but he was probably in the same spot then as what Ratten is in now and the Blues are 3/4. I'm not sticking up for Thomas (well I guess I am indirectly) but I'm only doing it because you sound very much like the voice that you are trying to discredit.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
He's not that stupid he was employed under all the titles listed above. He is biased and that where his opinion is derived. Ill-informed? He's about as informed as the rest of them but sometimes his personal opinion gets in the way and why does he not have the right to public comment, is this Nazi Germany? He was sacked from all the above because he is not P.C, super conservative, because he is the devil on the shoulder and yes, probably because he is a tool at times.

Furthermore, you don't need to be a gun footballer to be a commentator/special comments man just half a brain regarding the science of the game. Bailey wasn't a gun footballer neither was Craig really. Who really knows why he and Butters fell out? Do you? Butters is as dodgy as the next person if you ask me.

Thomas also inherited a list that was talented but young and inexperienced, sure he had some odd views like not rating ruckmen etc but he was probably in the same spot then as what Ratten is in now and the Blues are 3/4. I'm not sticking up for Thomas (well I guess I am indirectly) but I'm only doing it because you sound very much like the voice that you are trying to discredit.
I'm the voice, try and understand it. One-eyyye-dog. One-eyye-dog. :)

You could make a song along those lines.

He's been sacked, sacked, and sacked for all his footy type roles in the last few years. That is my point really. Good people don't keep getting sacked by varied football industry organisations, you must then ask wht a footy club, a newspaper and now a radio station have all SACKED him.

Bit like the dole guy in the que at Centrelink saying i can't understand why everyone sacks me. Or the homer simpson mentality, "it's everybody's fault but mine".

All reasoning alike, i detested listening and refused to listen to him, i havent been wacthing footy classifieds or whatever the show is and i'm glad there's one less moron journalist. Although graduations have just occured around Melbourne, so i'm sure he'll be replaced by 100 more.

Mantis
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM

You might find that most of GT's critical comments about our team came when we were not a top 4 team. He was actually quite complimentary in his comments about us last year and in the early parts of this year.

BTW your comments in this thread are completely over the top.

The Coon Dog
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Why 2 threads on the same topic?

Grant Thomas (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4891)

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 12:44 PM
You might find that most of GT's critical comments about our team came when we were not a top 4 team. He was actually quite complimentary in his comments about us last year and in the early parts of this year.

Everyone has someone that grates them.

For some it's players, like as you would know Mantis :)

For me is GT. He makes me angry. Literally very angry. But i take your point, i will do some meditation and get back to my usually high quality of posting.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Why 2 threads on the same topic?

Grant Thomas (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4891)

Merge! Merge!

Mantis
12-05-2009, 02:01 PM
E

For me is GT. He makes me angry. Literally very angry. But i take your point, i will do some meditation and get back to my usually high quality of posting.

That's debatable. ;)

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
That's debatable. ;)
Oh, come on now.

I started fanasty threads of BF. Danny Delre v Sedat Sir.

Doesn't get much higher quality than that. And 'the nose' would have had Sedat easily. :)

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2009, 05:00 PM
If the AFL really played a role in the sacking of ANY media commentator, no matter who they are, it's fascism. And pretty disturbing if all people employed in the industry start looking over their shoulders and diluting their views to appease those in power.
I for one believe Demetriou would do it.

alwaysadog
12-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Now Mantis remember what your mother told you about pots and kettles.

I think bulldogtragic is fundamentally right about Thomas. Very large ego, can't hold a job for long and there is a history of sudden sackings.

Oh yes and there is always a conspiracy about why he was sacked which later turns out not to be the case. The betting is that the AFL had nothing to do with this matter and in time it will come out.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Now Mantis remember what your mother told you about pots and kettles.

I think bulldogtragic is fundamentally right about Thomas. Very large ego, can't hold a job for long and there is a history of sudden sackings.

Oh yes and there is always a conspiracy about why he was sacked which later turns out not to be the case. The betting is that the AFL had nothing to do with this matter and in time it will come out.

:D

So what'd ya think about that Mantis. Nah, nah, nah.

:)

alwaysadog
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
:D

So what'd ya think about that Mantis. Nah, nah, nah.

:)

Not sure that's the way to go either.

I said you were fundamentally correct and while I defend you against the over the top claim you did make maximum use of hyperbole and exaggeration.

Neither of which are crimes especially when discussing one Grant Thomas who would have been speechless without them, but let’s not descend to Billy Brownless pettiness.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Not sure that's the way to go either.

I said you were fundamentally correct and while I defend you against the over the top claim you did make maximum use of hyperbole and exaggeration.

Neither of which are crimes especially when discussing one Grant Thomas who would have been speechless without them, but let’s not descend to Billy Brownless pettiness.
I agree with everything. Being compared to BB who i find the least funniest bloke and buffoon, i will cease and dessist from such remarks.