PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Trip

aker39
12-05-2009, 10:05 AM
A few mates have made a late call and decided to make the trip to Canberra in a fortnight.

We are hiring a mini bus and driving up.

I know a few people on here have been there before.

I'm after some suggestions for places to stay. Just looking for a cheap place for 10 blokes.

Also, how long will it take to drive.

Mantis
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Will take about 7 or 8 hours in the mini bus, depends how many stops you have along the way.

There are heaps of serviced apartment complexes within walking distance to the ground so maybe a Google search will help you in this regard.

Dry Rot
12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Re cheap place to stay, do you want just that or be near the city and/or entertainment?

Manuka Oval is in a ritzy part of Canberra, so any accommodation real close probably won't be cheap.

Mofra
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm after some suggestions for places to stay. Just looking for a cheap place for 10 blokes.
The first question to ask is if you will all be drinking at the game, or will someone draw the short straw and become the designated driver.

As Dry Rot mentioned, there'd be cheaper places to stay that are further away from the ground.

aker39
12-05-2009, 12:59 PM
The first question to ask is if you will all be drinking at the game, or will someone draw the short straw and become the designated driver.

As Dry Rot mentioned, there'd be cheaper places to stay that are further away from the ground.

I'm the designated driver.

I will be driving to Canberra, parking the bus, and having my first beer, along with a few more at the ground.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Im off to Canberra again, looking forward to it..enjoyed it last time.

I havent booked accom. yet but im just gunna bunker up in a hotel I think, I really havent found anything on the cheap side...but also havent looked in Manuka or the suburb Manuka Oval is next to..

I'll end up staying in the city to do a little bit of 'sightseeing' on the sunday before my afternoon flight back

Desipura
12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
A few mates have made a late call and decided to make the trip to Canberra in a fortnight.

Just don't stay at the Novotel as your truly will be there trying to get 40 winks after a night out!;)
I was lucky enough to get it for $79.00 in total for 2 people, it helps when you book it back in February

aker39
12-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Just don't stay at the Novotel as your truly will be there trying to get 40 winks after a night out!;)
I was lucky enough to get it for $79.00 in total for 2 people, it helps when you book it back in February

I forgot I put you on to that deal back then.

Desipura
12-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I forgot I put you on to that deal back then.
you did, I owe you a bottled water!

bornadog
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM

Try this:

http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=240

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 09:32 PM
A cheap place for 10 blokes makes me think of The Statesman, my digs of choice whenever I visit the icy heart of our nation.

Its cheap and for blokes, but not walking distance to the ground if that matters more. For that, Kingston or Manuka as suggested.

On the way up get a pie in Euroa, pastie in Holbrooke and a beer in Gundagai.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I've just been dudded.
I booked a tiger airline flight 2 seats to Canberra on Friday 29th, without reading the fine print. I put the second name as my sister thinking I could change it later to a mates name.
Just rang Tiger(Indian call centre) and they want $50 each way to change a name on the flight which ridiculous considering you can still get flights there and back for less than that. They won't back down.
My sister isn't keen on going, looks like I'm I'll be losing my money (not a lot) on the extra seat.
I also booked twin share accomodation at Formule 1 in Watson so if someone wants to share a room for 2 nights at $80 I'm willing to chat.

Any other advice will be helpful.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 05:08 PM
If you can avoid driving to the ground do parking isn't that great.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 05:13 PM
If you can avoid driving to the ground do parking isn't that great.

:) There is no way I'm hiring a car now.

bornadog
14-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I've just been dudded.
I booked a tiger airline flight 2 seats to Canberra on Friday 29th, without reading the fine print. I put the second name as my sister thinking I could change it later to a mates name.
Just rang Tiger(Indian call centre) and they want $50 each way to change a name on the flight which ridiculous considering you can still get flights there and back for less than that. They won't back down.
My sister isn't keen on going, looks like I'm I'll be losing my money (not a lot) on the extra seat.
I also booked twin share accomodation at Formule 1 in Watson so if someone wants to share a room for 2 nights at $80 I'm willing to chat.

I could put on a wig and dress:D

ledge
14-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I've just been dudded.

The mate your going with make him pay or go halvies.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I could put on a wig and dress:D

Sorry to be harsh Michael, you'll need to get me very drunk cos you're not my type.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 09:31 AM
The mate your going with make him pay or go halvies.

Mate's not going anymore.

Topdog
15-05-2009, 09:32 AM
If your mate is willing he could try getting on the plane. I have never been asked to show any ID for domestic flights.

Desipura
15-05-2009, 09:40 AM
ditto:D
thats not what you said last night! :D

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 09:40 AM
If your mate is willing he could try getting on the plane. I have never been asked to show any ID for domestic flights.
I know its ridiculous.
NOt sure how Tiger works though, My sister is female and mate is male. Might work.
Having explain things to an Indian call centre is the pits. They have no idea.

aker39
15-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Have you flown Tiger before.

They always ask for ID at check in. They do not have e-check in.

And this example is exactly why they ask for ID.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah Tiger = Way behind the times..

You have to take a 5min walk away from Melbourne Airport Terminal in a shed type building and then line up..

Show them your ID and then go through to security

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Haha yeah $120 return for 2 people, u get what you pay for :D

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Have you flown Tiger before.

They always ask for ID at check in. They do not have e-check in.

And this example is exactly why they ask for ID.

I think you mentioned this risk flying with Tiger a while back.
Its my fault as I should have checked before but I was sucked in by the cheap fare.

Apart from the costs I see why companys employ Indian call centres, its like hitting a brick wall with the lack of understanding, poor communication and set procedures.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Apart from the costs I see why companys employ Indian call centres, its like hitting a brick wall with the lack of understanding, poor communication and set procedures.

I agree, when they changed my return flight times an Indian man rang and left a message stating the change, he then told me a number to contact him back on (different to tigers general number) and I had to listen to that message about 7 times? to understand the phone number he was repeating..its just frustrating.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I do a lot of flying both for busines and pleasure and learnt some time go not to go near Tiger because at the end of the day, the prices are not cheap and the service is chaotic

aker39
18-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Try this:

http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=240

Thanks, we've booked in there.