PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude anyone?

NoseBleed
12-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Tigers ready to sack Wallet. (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-set-to-sack-wallace/2009/05/11/1241893918335.html)

Scraggers
12-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Jade Rawlings over Choco Royal ... Mmmm ... Not my choice but hey, what do I know ?? :confused:

Oh, by the way, bye bye Terry ... don't let the door knob hit you where the good lord split you

ledge
12-05-2009, 02:18 PM
How much sense does this make, they apparently are going to sack him at the end of the month and pay him out or he can stay on??
WTF????
If they are willing to keep him on until the end of the year, why not wait until then to sack him?
If your going to sack him now, why are they putting a care taker coach they have apparently said will not coach next year?
Sounds to me like they are waiting for Mick Malthouse or is Sheedy going to have another go?

bornadog
12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
If I was Richmond I would be going for Mark Williams. Knows how to get the best out of young players and I believe one of the top three coaches in the AFL

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Tigers ready to sack Wallet. (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-set-to-sack-wallace/2009/05/11/1241893918335.html)

**yawn**

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Jade Rawlings.

LOL.

The Coon Dog
12-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Jade Rawlings.

LOL.

Ever heard him speak about football?

He knows his stuff. I am not too sure why you have ridiculed him.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
No one bags Rawlings cos he doesn't know his stuff, its more about replacing one ego driven mercenary with possibly another.

Mantis
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM

I was standing below him at the WO for a Coburg vs Williamstown practice match. He seemed very switched, spoke well to the players and had a good understanding of his players limitations. I was impressed by him in this brief period I listened in and have been impressed by him everytime he speaks in the media.

He was one player who studied the game heavily when he played in readiness for a career in coaching and he seems to have all the necessary tools to succeed.

Remi Moses
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Karma . Good riddance :p

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
No one bags Rawlings cos he doesn't know his stuff, its more about replacing one ego driven mercenary with possibly another.

I still don't get the constant bagging of Rawlings, for one, we screwed him over, he wanted to goto North, REALLY wanted to go there, and Rhode tried to make him into this big power forward he never was, he was a good second or 3rd string defender with bung knees by the time he landed at Whitten oval, after OUR CLUB #$#@ed up with the correct medical assesments.

But i suppose we needed a scape goat....right?

The Underdog
12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I still don't get the constant bagging of Rawlings, for one, we screwed him over, he wanted to goto North, REALLY wanted to go there, and Rhode tried to make him into this big power forward he never was, he was a good second or 3rd string defender with bung knees by the time he landed at Whitten oval, after OUR CLUB #$#@ed up with the correct medical assesments.

We paid a high karmic price for all of that and deservedly so. Not one of our prouder episodes.

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
We paid a high karmic price for all of that and deservedly so. Not one of our prouder episodes.

Exactly right, we were dodgy at the time, and paid the ultimate price, yet most blame the player, go figure!

Thankfully the likes of Newport & Rhode are long gone!!!!!!

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Ever heard him speak about football?

I think he's a spud.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't do schadenfreude anymore. It inevitably brings on a bout of glauckenschtubel, and then I feel terribly zwoffenverstegendunglich.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Not sure how we screwed him over anymore than a recruit that barracks for a different club than us or a young interstater that would like to stay at home.
We paid him and paid him well. He screwed us more than we did him cos he gave us bugger all.

As for being a mercenary and ego driven thats more to do with Hawthorn than anyone.

Twodogs
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM

He signed a contract and then did SFA except sit back with his hand out. Spent two years(of a three year deal) bitching and moaning about how unfair it was that he ended up with us-if he didnt want to come to us then maybe he shouldnt have signed the contract with us well before draft day.

He had options he could have explored, but apparantly even though our money was the same colour as anyone else's, he didnt have to make the same effort to earn it.

Yep maybe we didnt do everything to the 100% spirit of the law but we werent the bad guys we have been made out to be and Jayde certainly isnt the rosy smelling hard done by type he's making out to be.

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Not sure how we screwed him over anymore than a recruit that barracks for a different club than us or a young interstater that would like to stay at home.

:eek:

We screwed ourselves over by paying him the big bickies in the first place, with all what i wrote in my original post, bung knees, not a forwards a-hole etc etc, he didn't deliver because he was NEVER what WE paid for.

We paid top dollar for a house in in the worst suburb that was run down, infested in white ants etc etc and tried to make it a tooraK mansion..

The Coon Dog
12-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I think he's a spud.

How?

You're being as clear as mud! :rolleyes:

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 05:38 PM
He signed a contract and then did SFA except sit back with his hand out. Spent two years(of a three year deal) bitching and moaning about how unfair it was that he ended up with us-if he didnt want to come to us then maybe he shouldnt have signed the contract with us well before draft day.

He had options he could have explored, but apparantly even though our money was the same colour as anyone else's, he didnt have to make the same effort to earn it.

Yep maybe we didnt do everything to the 100% spirit of the law but we werent the bad guys we have been made out to be and Jayde certainly isnt the rosy smelling hard done by type he's making out to be.

I guess when a player is out of a club and in the wilderness after not being part of a trade, he can start feeling as though he should just go for the best he can get, add that to us being all over him, wanting him so much, offering all this money, being brought over as our saviour key forward etc etc, who can blame him?

BUT, he was never that, and along with the bung knees. he would have been crazy to refuse, after Carlton stating that they wanted Stevens, the next team in line was Melbourne who selected Reid from West Coast, so really there were only 2 higher profiled players in the trade period, who would you prefer, Bulldogs [who are deseperate for a key forward] or Melbourne?.

Perhaps it was the club that put blief into thinking he was this big power forward that was going to save the club etc etc, which he never was.

Sure, there has to be some blame put on the player himself, but knowing his knees were basically shot along with never being the player we wanted him to be, it was always detined to fail and bite us on the ass.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
:eek:

We screwed ourselves over by paying him the big bickies in the first place, with all what i wrote in my original post, bung knees, not a forwards a-hole etc etc, he didn't deliver because he was MEVER what WE paid for.

We paid top dollar for a house in in the worst suburb that was run down, infested in white ants etc etc and tried to make it a tooraK mansion..

He didn't deliver anything so if we had of paid him what he was worth and not the exaggerated fee, then he was still overpriced.

Again we never screwed Rawlings at all. He got a 3 years contract from us when he should have retired.

Read Twodog's summary as well.

aker39
12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
He didn't deliver anything so if we had of paid him what he was worth and not the exaggerated fee, then he was still overpriced.

Again we never screwed Rawlings at all. He got a 3 years contract from us when he should have retired.

Ernie, he was screwed over by the Veale deal.

We manipulated the trade to get him to our club, a club he did not want to go to.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Please clarify how we(the Western Bulldogs) screwed Rawlings.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Ernie, he was screwed over by the Veale deal.

We manipulated the trade to get him to our club, a club he did not want to go to.

Not sure how that matters. It wasn't against the rules and players go to clubs against their wishes all the time through the draft.

aker39
12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Please clarify how we(the Western Bulldogs) screwed Rawlings.

That's how

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Its more like Rawlings tried to screw the system and wasn't able to.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
That's how

Where in the rules does it you aren't allowed to recruit a player that doesn't want to come your club? I understand trades are done with the players consent but he wasn't traded.

Was O'Keefe screwed by the Swans last trade period?

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Ernie, in all due respect, i have read every post in this thread including the one you mentioned, doesn't change my views, i use my own mind, i'm not a puppet and use other to make myself think i'm right, when i know i am!!!!

Eventually Rawlings and his management team got what they could, and why wouldn't they?

BUT, and even the AFL looked closely at the time into the deal which was made, even they smelt a rat at the time.

It's no secret that the deal was pretty much done between the Rawlings group & North Melbourne, then the Bulldogs & Hawthorn got in the way, and made that deal fall over just so the Bulldogs ended up with Rawlings & Hawthorn recieved our high draft pick, poor old Lachy Veal was the meat in the sandwhich.

THATS HOW HE WAS SCREWED OVER!!

We had to pay him a rediculous price otherwise we would have missed out on Rawlings, so we did, HIS KNEES WERE BUNG, he was never going to deliver!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM
This 'Manipulated the trade' is total BS.
Should we have done it Carlton style and cheat?

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
This 'Manipulated the trade' is total BS.
Should we have done it Carlton style and cheat?

It was total BS, and we eventually lost out in the long run!

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
THATS HOW HE WAS SCREWED OVER!!

You said by us.
You still haven't explain how the WB screwed him over.
Again how different is it from recruiting in the draft?

If he had of gone to North, who would have screwed who? Given he was finished.
North dodged a bullet but we screwed him over.

aker39
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Where in the rules does it you aren't allowed to recruit a player that doesn't want to come your club? I understand trades are done with the players consent but he wasn't traded.

That's the point Ernie. He wasn't traded because they couldn't get his consent.

So they decided to manipulate the trade, and get him through the back door.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 06:07 PM
That's the point Ernie. He wasn't traded because they couldn't get his consent.

So they decided to manipulate the trade, and get him through the back door.
Manipulate? No rule against it.
The point made was 'we' screwed him when its just BS.
Again he trying to go to the club of his choice and wasn't able to, bad luck it happens all the time.
I have no problem with the way the bulldogs got him to the club, in the rules and they did they what they thought was best for the club. I understand it was overpayed and finished so it was useless. But we the Western bulldogs never screwed Rawlings.

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Can we talk about Wallet Leatherneck again?

I wonder if there's a tiny warm smug glow in Rockets tummy.
Here he is with Wallets old team.
Good list. Performing well. Stable Environment.

While the man who backdoored him in Sydney is literally in football Hell.
Bad list. Performing badly. Extremely unstable and volatile club and supporters.
I can see Rodney enjoying a nice Port in a deep leather armchair before an open fire.
Then shuffling off to bed for a very pleasant and serene nights sleep.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Agreed

aker39
12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Manipulate? No rule against it.

No, there is no rule against it.

But I believe that it was against the spirit of the trade/draft.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

I'll leave it at that.

bornadog
12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
You said by us.
You still haven't explain how the WB screwed him over.
Again how different is it from recruiting in the draft?

If he had of gone to North, who would have screwed who? Given he was finished.
North dodged a bullet but we screwed him over.

Either way, we still did the right thing to get him to the Dogs at the time ie not in hindsight.

We were looking for a tall forward and Rawlings was available. In the previous season, he had played at CHF and was the leading mark in the AFL for the year. I think some people have short memories as they only think about what happened after he came to us. Yes his dodgy knees was a worry, but what else could the club do if he was passed by the medicos.

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Can we talk about Wallet Leatherneck again?

I wonder if there's a tiny warm smug glow in Rockets tummy.
Here he is with Wallets old team.
Good list. Performing well. Stable Environment.

While the man who backdoored him in Sydney is literally in football Hell.
Bad list. Performing badly. Extremely unstable and volatile club and supporters.
I can see Rodney enjoying a nice Port in a deep leather armchair before an open fire.
Then shuffling off to bed for a very pleasant and serene nights sleep.

I'm sure Rocket couldn't give a stuff whats going on with Richmond, his ex team mate, why would he feel great about Wallace being sacked? Thay are team mates from way back!

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm sure Rocket couldn't give a stuff whats going on with Richmond, his ex team mate, why would he feel great about Wallace being sacked? Thay are team mates from way back!

Oh! Where to start? Where to start?

ledge
12-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Apart from that there was another coach in between.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Apart from that there was another coach in between.

Paul Roos? It wasn't Terry's departure from the Dogs that would cause Rocket angst, it was the nature of Rocket's departure from Sydney (although it had little to do with Terry, his blatant positioning of himself for the job even while Rocket was still there was classic Terry "Look Out For Number One" Wallace).

Okay, that's just for starters. I'm sure plenty of other posters know the inside goss on the underhanded crap Richmond has tried on the Dogs over the last half decade, so I'll leave it to them.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Whilst I feel sorry for Rawlings, our 'draft tampering' was no different to the tampering that Rawlings was attempting to do to get to North.

As has been mentioned, most players don't end up at the club of there choice.
At least he got to stay in Melbourne.
Imagine if WC had the first pick in the PSD?
What would he have done then?

As a final point, his efforts (along with Bowden) in the VFL grand final for Werribee (his last game under a Doggies contract??) were probably the most pathetic I've seen by any footballer in a long time.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 07:31 PM
No, there is no rule against it.

But I believe that it was against the spirit of the trade/draft.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

I'll leave it at that.

I never said that what happen to Rawlings was fair, its as fair as drafting anyone against their wishes is. Is also in the spirit of trade/draft just as much as Judd getting Carlton, O'Keefe staying at the swans, and the number of other trades that don't eventuate.

I simply believe that we the bulldogs did not screw Rawlings.
No one is saying Carlton or Port screwed Stevens because he wanted to go to Collingwood.

I have no smypathy for Rawlings and don't undertsand why people do.

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Oh! Where to start? Where to start?

You know something that perhaps the rest of us don't?

Spill?

:p

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I never said that what happen to Rawlings was fair, its as fair as drafting anyone against their wishes is. Is also in the spirit of trade/draft just as much as Judd getting Carlton, O'Keefe staying at the swans, and the number of other trades that don't eventuate.

I simply believe that we the bulldogs did not screw Rawlings.
No one is saying Carlton or Port screwed Stevens because he wanted to go to Collingwood.

I have no smypathy for Rawlings and don't undertsand why people do.

Agreed. There's no choosing nor screwing in the trade system we have. The fact that Rawlings was, after his brilliant entry, not that flash is not a character flaw nor reason to hate him. But he can't claim he was dudded.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Whilst I feel sorry for Rawlings, our 'draft tampering' was no different to the tampering that Rawlings was attempting to do to get to North.

As has been mentioned, most players don't end up at the club of there choice.
At least he got to stay in Melbourne.
Imagine if WC had the first pick in the PSD?
What would he have done then?

As a final point, his efforts (along with Bowden) in the VFL grand final for Werribee (his last game under a Doggies contract??) were probably the most pathetic I've seen by any footballer in a long time.

I think this is an important point - no matter who's "fault" it was that he ended up with us, surely everyone has a responsibility to themselves to take it on the chin, and give it their best shot. I'm sure if we think about it, we could think of a few bulldogs we have delisted or traded away when they didn't want to go. I was staying at the same hotel as the players in WA in 2006 after the Elimination final where we were smashed, and I remember the players were talking about delisting and being traded, and Sam Power was quite upset as there had been rumours about him being let go - however, I think whilst he hasn't set the world on fire at North, he at least looks like he is giving his all. These guys are professionals when all said and done. After all, we paid big bucks, didn't we? I think I remember him in his first game kicking a number of goals and I thought, "hello, maybe this will be good". But I reckon it was pretty much the first and last good game I saw him play. He never looked really interested IMHO :rolleyes:
Re Wallet - you just gotta believe in "what goes round, comes round, or karma :p

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 12:16 PM
How?

You're being as clear as mud! :rolleyes:

I'm allowed to dislike people without justification.

The Coon Dog
13-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm allowed to dislike people without justification.
:confused:

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I would throw a banana at him if I had a chance.

The Coon Dog
13-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I would throw a banana at him if I had a chance.

Why waste a good banana? Be different if it was a brown bruised one! ;)

Ozza
13-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Whatever you think about Rawlings' playing career with us and the whatever went on there - is pretty irrelevant.

What is relevant, is that it is well documented that he is a footy nut and he has a very good football brain. From what I have seen and heard - Rawlings will make a very good senior coach down the track. I hope he gets a chance.

Dancin' Douggy
13-05-2009, 09:18 PM

OK.... When Terry walked out on the dogs he had the Sydney job signed sealed and delivered. This is generally accepted as fact. Yes, even within AFL ranks.
That's why his public reasons for leaving the dogs never really made much sense.

Eade was the senior coach of Sydney at the time and the deal was done mid-season, with a contracted coach from another club, completely behind his back.

When the wise people of Sydney found out Wallace was heading their way they protested loudly and publicly for Roos.
Neither the club nor Wallace could admit a deal had been done.
The Swans members got their way (and a flag for their trouble).
Wallace was suddenly out of a job.

Name one (respected at the time) senior coach who has walked away from a lucrative position like that, when the club still wanted him, in the history of the game.
NONE.

Wallace misjudged the situation badly.
He didn't get the hero's send off he envisaged,
as the players told him to $%#@&%$ off, and he didn't get the Sydney job either.

He was effectively unemployed until all the fanfare of joining Richmond (he he he he ho ho ha ha ha haaaaaaaa)

I'm not saying Rocket will be jumping up and down screaming
"YEAH COP THAT YOU C%#$T".
But a little sense of smugness just may creep in now and again.
It's sweetly ironic that Eade happens to be in Charge of the Dogs now and Wallets career seems well and truly over.:)

The Coon Dog
13-05-2009, 09:21 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Well surmised there DD!

BulldogBelle
13-05-2009, 09:50 PM
OK.... When Terry walked out on the dogs he had the Sydney job signed sealed and delivered. This is generally accepted as fact. Yes, even within AFL ranks.

Not only that I remember at the time I had bought John Elliot's book and there was a reference in the book that Wallet presented himself to Carlton also (who was coach hunting at the time I think) and said he would bring along a sponsor with him and then a year later a player...no guessing who that might have been. Then again, John Elliot....who knows if what he wrote is correct.

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Whatever you think about Rawlings' playing career with us and the whatever went on there - is pretty irrelevant.

What is relevant, is that it is well documented that he is a footy nut and he has a very good football brain. From what I have seen and heard - Rawlings will make a very good senior coach down the track. I hope he gets a chance.

Wallace had a pretty good football brain as well.

BulldogBelle
14-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Well Well.....

Wallace revealed for the first time his pain over his acrimonious departure from the Western Bulldogs

In 2002 Wallace was happy to coach out the season after telling the club of his decision to leave, but was eventually pushed aside for Round 22 by president David Smorgon.

Wallace told 3AW he was determined not to play out that scenario again.

"I had a really unfortunate finish at the Western Bulldogs and it cut a lot of Bulldogs people deeply and it cut me very deeply," he said.

"If I did it again I would do if very differently. If you don't learn from mistakes, you are going down a bad path."

Click HERE (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25476349-19742,00.html) for rest of article....

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Is Wallace the prodical son? Far out, who gives a stuff.
He made his own bed there, only he at the time couldn't tell he made a mistake. 6 years later when at his lowest point he realises he burnt his bridges. Its more comical than sympathetic.

Desipura
14-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I was told indirectly by a well known (some will say champion) ex player that when Wallace was assistant to Joyce, he met the players at a local pub and told them he could take the team to where they "wanted to go" in other words to a premiership.

He made commments to the senior players that to do this they would have to protest against the current coach continuing.
Years later we found out that a certain champion player did not see eye to eye with Wallace, I wonder why?

Yesterday on 3AW Sheahan asked Wallace why the playing list is not in the best shape, he replied that they do not have enough 23 to 28yo players hence why they have had to retain the 30+year olds on their list.Well hello? You were there 5 years, 18yo + 5 years = 23yo, why did he not recruit talented enough players that would still be playing in that age bracket?
Loves to divert attention when it suits him. Also he refused to comment on why Schultz, Morton, Adam Thomson who they recruited as a 22yo for memory were not playing seniors. He replied that he never spoke about individual players, absolute crap!

Twodogs
14-05-2009, 01:57 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Well surmised there DD!

Summarised Baz. DD'd be guessing if he were surmising...:p

Remi Moses
14-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Dancin' Dougie summed it up perfectly. I think there might have been an issue re- both leaving the Hawks.Funnily enough Richmond were involved.

Remi Moses
14-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Well Well.....

Wallace revealed for the first time his pain over his acrimonious departure from the Western Bulldogs

In 2002 Wallace was happy to coach out the season after telling the club of his decision to leave, but was eventually pushed aside for Round 22 by president David Smorgon.

Wallace told 3AW he was determined not to play out that scenario again.

"I had a really unfortunate finish at the Western Bulldogs and it cut a lot of Bulldogs people deeply and it cut me very deeply," he said.

"If I did it again I would do if very differently. If you don't learn from mistakes, you are going down a bad path."

Click HERE (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25476349-19742,00.html) for rest of article....

Well f*** me he finally admits he made a mistake with his departure!! Some hankering for an olive branch after his time with the tigers?

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Call me a bleeding heart but I reckon we can now all let the judas brown, wallace stuff go eh?
Facts are: he almost won us a flag, he made a few career move bloopers, seems like an okay sort of a guy, and he walked into a footy club culture at Richmond which was gothic, reactionary and incestuous- where Genghis Khan, the Dalai Lama, Che Guevarra, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon even John Kennedy, with Barack Obama as assistant coach, could not hope to reform. Further evidence= Tiger's supporters, and their inclination towards a sort of collective form of rabies.
So lets not start frothing at the mouth...Take a deep breath and let it all go...

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Take a deep breath and let it all go...

Yeah OK.

Will send him some flowers while I'm at it.

Poor Terry.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Sure, go ahead...
As long as the flowers are a coupla days old, and were price reduced at Woolies.
Don't want him back at the doggies.....

hujsh
14-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah OK.

Will send him some flowers while I'm at it.

Poor Terry.

He's not asking for sympathy. We really do need to move on from Wallace.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 09:46 PM
His legacy lives on. I still pull out a crunch item once or twice a season at a game, when we are down. A crunch banana. A crunch yoghurt. Never a crunch Crunch, come to think of it.

The Adelaide Connection
14-05-2009, 10:45 PM
It seems a shame to me that a blokes numerous good deeds and years of service have been overshadowed by the way he left. I understand an initial anger or resentment, but seriously how many years has it been now?

Would things have changed if we did win a premiership under Wallace? Would we all still be sitting around bitching and hoping bad things happen to him?

The politics involved in football clubs runs deeper than even I care to imagine and at times coaches, players, boards, whoever make decisions that seem to baffle and offend but at the end of the day life goes on. I wonder if Eade fails to deliver a premiership will we go back and hold the handling of Scott West against him?

Terry Wallace is a bloke that lives and breathes football. He is passionate and he has given most of his life to the game. Good luck to the bloke I say.

AndrewP6
14-05-2009, 11:01 PM
It seems a shame to me that a blokes numerous good deeds and years of service have been overshadowed by the way he left. I understand an initial anger or resentment, but seriously how many years has it been now?

Terry Wallace is a bloke that lives and breathes football. He is passionate and he has given most of his life to the game. Good luck to the bloke I say.

The way he treated us in leaving showed the true character of the bloke.

He wasn't passionate about our club... just went for the $$$ - Rocket actually came to us when we were ordinary on and off the field, and was proactive in bringing about change.

Don't wish Wallace any harm, but would find it hard to write a character reference.

The Adelaide Connection
14-05-2009, 11:25 PM
The way he treated us in leaving showed the true character of the bloke.

He wasn't passionate about our club... just went for the $$$ - Rocket actually came to us when we were ordinary on and off the field, and was proactive in bringing about change.

Don't wish Wallace any harm, but would find it hard to write a character reference.

I know the history, but I contend that what he did at our club was not all bad. In fact, some of it was very good. When Wallace took over in 1996 we were ordinary on and off the field and we we finished 15th. The next year we finished third and we all know what happened. In 1998 we finished second on the ladder. The bloke was around our club for about 7 years and you have a seriously short term memory if you think in that time he showed no passion for our footy club.

I am not saying I would give the bloke a character reference either, but there is (whether we like it or not) a lot of politics involved in an AFL footy club. Should Sheedy never forgive Essendon? Should Scott West never forgive us? Or Doug Hawkins for that matter? Or countless other players and coaches at countless of other clubs? We are just bitter because he stuck the boot in before we could.

I was also repeating the point that we got pretty damn close to a premiership under him, on a number of occasions, I bet if we did get one attitudes would be very different.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I know the history, but I contend that what he did at our club was not all bad. In fact, some of it was very good. When Wallace took over in 1996 we were ordinary on and off the field and we we finished 15th. The next year we finished third and we all know what happened. In 1998 we finished second on the ladder. The bloke was around our club for about 7 years and you have a seriously short term memory if you think in that time he showed no passion for our footy club.

I am not saying I would give the bloke a character reference either, but there is (whether we like it or not) a lot of politics involved in an AFL footy club. Should Sheedy never forgive Essendon? Should Scott West never forgive us? Or Doug Hawkins for that matter? Or countless other players and coaches at countless of other clubs? We are just bitter because he stuck the boot in before we could.

I was also repeating the point that we got pretty damn close to a premiership under him, on a number of occasions, I bet if we did get one attitudes would be very different.

But it's not just the way he left.

It's how he has continued to be part of an ex-Dogs gang at Richmond (most who left under acrimonious circumstances) that has not been able to let go of angst towards the Dogs and has continually sought to undermine us at every opportunity -- be it on drafting day, trading day, etc etc. (search through the archives here on WOOF and you may find some stories from those close to Rocket), and it is Wallet that created the animosity from the Dogs with his continuous malicious attacks on the Dogs, first in the media during the Rhode years (claiming it was a weak list that he couldn't take any further -- the same tactic he's trying now at Richmond), and then from the coaches box pre-game and post-game into the Rocket years, when we were (initially) down in the dumps.

Don't let youself be another naive person he takes advantage of through his smooth tongue. He's certainly talked his way out of many things before, and has somehow created an aura of competence around what really is a pretty ordinary coaching record, apart from the first couple of years at the Dogs (where he reaped the benefits of a previous recruiting regime).

He's shown quite clearly that he has no list building ability whatsoever -- after 7 years at the Dogs he left us with the list in shambles and no balance at all, and he's done the same at Richmond after 5 years. And yet, people continue to think of him as a competent coach -- he really has pulled the wool over many eyes.

Don't be fooled: Wallet has only ever cared about one thing -- number one.

ps. I'll take the word of Chris Grant over Terry Wallace anyday, and Chris couldn't stand the bloke towards the end there. Speaks volumes.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:36 AM
All I can say is: Terry Wallace and Nathan Brown's continual shambolic misery at Richmond is proof positive that karma exists, and it bites. Hard.

Not one finals game. Not a single one. Not - one. And probably never another one in either of their careers. The delicious, delicious irony.

Eat. That. Good.

AndrewP6
15-05-2009, 12:49 AM

It's how he has continued to be part of an ex-Dogs gang at Richmond (most who left under acrimonious circumstances) that has not been able to let go of angst towards the Dogs and has continually sought to undermine us at every opportunity -- be it on drafting day, trading day, etc etc. (search through the archives here on WOOF and you may find some stories from those close to Rocket), and it is Wallet that created the animosity from the Dogs with his continuous malicious attacks on the Dogs, first in the media during the Rhode years (claiming it was a weak list that he couldn't take any further -- the same tactic he's trying now at Richmond), and then from the coaches box pre-game and post-game into the Rocket years, when we were (initially) down in the dumps.

Don't let youself be another naive person he takes advantage of through his smooth tongue. He's certainly talked his way out of many things before, and has somehow created an aura of competence around what really is a pretty ordinary coaching record, apart from the first couple of years at the Dogs (where he reaped the benefits of a previous recruiting regime).

He's shown quite clearly that he has no list building ability whatsoever -- after 7 years at the Dogs he left us with the list in shambles and no balance at all, and he's done the same at Richmond after 5 years. And yet, people continue to think of him as a competent coach -- he really has pulled the wool over many eyes.

ps. I'll take the word of Chris Grant over Terry Wallace anyday, and Chris couldn't stand the bloke towards the end there. Speaks volumes.

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID :)

Topdog
15-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I can't believe people think we didn't screw over Rawlings and North to an extent. People then harped on about how players very rarely get traded to the club they want to go to. Good thing Brisbane and Adelaide don't feel the same way as some on here.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I can't believe people think we didn't screw over Rawlings and North to an extent. People then harped on about how players very rarely get traded to the club they want to go to. Good thing Brisbane and Adelaide don't feel the same way as some on here.
Not sure what you mean about Brisbane and Adelaide. Its fact that some players in trade period don't go to the clubs of their choice. A number stay where they are because they are in contract but if you are out of contract you are free game.

Make no bones about it we did North a favour, we got the player with an attitude problem, exaggerated salary and a bung knee not them and when he did go there we were still were paying for him.

As for us 'the bulldogs' screwing over Rawlings, its rubbish.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Of course we did!

We conspired with Hawthorn to force Jade Rawlings into the PSD where we had 1st pick.

Dress it up any way you like, it won't change the fact that we & Hawthorn screwed Jade Rawlings over to ensure he became a Bulldog.

Sedat
15-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Not sure what you mean about Brisbane and Adelaide. Its fact that some players in trade period don't go to the clubs of their choice. A number stay where they are because they are in contract but if you are out of contract you are free game.

Make not bones about it we did North a favour, we got the player with an attitude problem, exaggerated salary and a bung knee not them and when he did go there we were still were paying for him.

I've got a couple of Carlton mates in the know, and they swear London to a brick that Ian Collins, who was then president of Carlton, was the mastermind behind the Veale Deal knowing that it would make Nick Stevens slip through to 2nd pick in the PSD for nothing. How he would have managed to get Essendon and Hawthorn complicit in the Veale Deal makes it sound implausible but stranger things have happened.

It's laughable to suggest that we were the sole party that screwed Rawlings over during trade week. What a trouper he and his manager (Liam Pickering) were, demanding the go-to franchise player salary but not taking the go-to franchise player responsibility, not to mention both of them constantly whinging and whining about the injustice of it all in the process rather than do the right thing by the club that was paying Jade's fat salary. And then we generously allowed him his wish a couple of years later to play with his brother at North by actually accepting a lop-sided trade that made us lose 3 places in the draft to get him off our books. Yeah what a bunch of arseholes we are :rolleyes:

As for Teflon, very little needs to be added to Lantern's bang-on post. Let's just remember his constant (and largely unsuccessful) attempts to poach our top line players and coaching staff/recruiters from late 2004 to 2008. I hope he stays on at Richmond for a few weeks longer so that his humiliation can continue to be so publicly broadcast and his ordinary coaching record continues to head south (it's already worse than Frawley, Gieschen, Joyce, Wheeler, Daniher, Connolly, Ayres and numerous other less-credentialled past coaches). He's always been lightning quick to accept the bouquets from the football public when things went well - now it's his turn to stand there and take it without any lubricant.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Of course we did!

We conspired with Hawthorn to force Jade Rawlings into the PSD where we had 1st pick.

Dress it up any way you like, it won't change the fact that we & Hawthorn screwed Jade Rawlings over to ensure he became a Bulldog.
Thats were you are wrong, how is becoming a bulldog in a legal manner being screwed?
He didn't go to the North - big deal, happens all the time, if players went to their clubs of choice all the time then why have the draft. Free agency should be implemented 100%. Let the players screw the clubs not stop. Kill some the club and have only a few clubs win it every year.

If you call what the Bulldogs alone did to Rawlings as screwing him why not mention the Swans screwing O'Keefe, Port with Stevens, Brisbane with Buckley & Brennan, Essendon with Lovett and the numerous others. I bet Judd wasn't keenest leaving Victoria to WA but nobody says West Coast screwed him.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Thats were you are wrong, how is becoming a bulldog in a legal manner being screwed?
He didn't go to the North - big deal, happens all the time, if players went to their clubs of choice all the time then why have the draft. Free agency should be implemented 100%. Let the players screw the clubs not stop and kill them.

If you call what the Bulldogs alone did to Rawlings as screwing him why not mention the Swans screwing O'Keefe, Port with Stevens, Brisbane with Buckley & Brennan and the numerous others. I bet Judd wasn't keenest leaving Victoria to the WA but nobody says West Coast screwed him.

Because they're not relevant to the Rawlings matter & it's just a red herring by you to throw them into the mix.

Yeah, he didn't get to go to North, but the Bulldogs giving Hawthorn pick 6 for Lachlan Veale on the understanding they didn't trade Rawlings to North forced him to the Bulldogs.

It was a deal that stank at the time & stinks now.

Now ES, I know you can be pig headed & I'm not going to get involved in a 'Drugs in Sport' type debate like you & westdog54 had . Westdog54 should have had more sense, he, like me, knows you & he should have known he was never going to win, no one ever does with you! :D

We'll agree to disagree & if you won't then I'll remove your name from my invite list! ;)

Sedat
15-05-2009, 12:00 PM
TCD, in your opinion what stunk more, the actual Veale Deal itself, or the attitude of Rawlings and his management to his new employer after he willingly signed a handsome contract and became an official (and very well-rewarded) part of the club?

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Because they're not relevant to the Rawlings matter & it's just a red herring by you to throw them into the mix.

Not sure why they are not relevent when the reasoning is the same, player A didn't get to the club of choice because the clubs dung their heels in.

Yeah, he didn't get to go to North, but the Bulldogs giving Hawthorn pick 6 for Lachlan Veale on the understanding they didn't trade Rawlings to North forced him to the Bulldogs.
No argument on the morals of the trade, just that the bulldogs didn't screw him.

Now ES, I know you can be pig headed & I'm not going to get involved in a 'Drugs in Sport' type debate like you & westdog54 had . Westdog54 should have had more sense, he, like me, knows you & he should have known he was never going to win, no one ever does with you! :D
Not sure why you brought this up, If I believe I'm wrong and proved it (and its happened here) i'll admitt it.

We'll agree to disagree & if you won't then I'll remove your name from my invite list! ;)
I'll PM you about this.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2009, 12:04 PM
TCD, in your opinion what stunk more, the actual Veale Deal itself, or the attitude of Rawlings and his management to his new employer after he willingly signed a handsome contract and became a part of the club?
Good question.

I never felt comfortable with the way we acted in all honesty. I thought it was sly & underhanded.

My criticism here has been the manner in which I thought our club acted at that time, not how Rawlings responded to that. I'd still debate the word 'willingly' too.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Not sure why you brought this up, If I believe I'm wrong and proved it (and its happened here) i'll admitt it.

I'll PM you about this.

You've never been wrong, ever!!! ;)

I tried PMing you, but your mailbox was full, t'was tongue in cheek, hence the 'wink'.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I tried PMing you, but your mailbox was full, t'was tongue in cheek, hence the 'wink'.

I saw that before I posted and fixed it, I thought the max for 40 not 35.

Sedat
15-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Good question.

I never felt comfortable with the way we acted in all honesty. I thought it was sly & underhanded.

My criticism here has been the manner in which I thought our club acted at that time, not how Rawlings responded to that. I'd still debate the word 'willingly' too.
It's a bit difficult to debate Rawlings' willingness to sign a contract with us when he decided to effectively sign the remainder of his career away with the Dogs for a length of term that is an eternity in football parlance, 4 years. Why would he decide to lock himself away for so long at the club if he desperately wanted out of there? There was absolutely nothing stopping him from placing a large salary demand on his head prior to nominating for the PSD. And there was nothing at all from stopping him and his management from negotiating a 1 or 2 year term with the Dogs. But no, he was all too willing to feather his nest for 4 years, and he would have well known that his knees were shot and that he could not possibly deliver on the field for his new employer what was expected of him.

IMO his conduct, once he came to the club, was childish, shallow and reprehensible, and every bit as underhanded (arguably more so) than anything that was done during trade week. The constant negativity aired by him in the press well after he arrived at the club no doubt damaged our brand, and would have dissuaded future prospects from being attracted to come to us. And only Aker's willingness to join us has gone some way to redressing the negative perception about joining the Dogs, a perception fostered and nurtured by the attitudes of Rawlings.

I appreciate that you are only commenting on nature of the Veale Deal, but surely if we displayed a sense of underhandedness in 2003 (in your opinion), we more than made up for it with the generosity of our trade with North in 2005. And what about the underhandedness of John Hook and the Hawks, not to mention Sheeds and the Bombers, who ensured the Hawks were recompensed with a key defender by moving Jacobs over to Glenferrie? Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Veale Deal, the Dogs were only one part of it, with at least 3 other clubs a willing participant in the outcome.

Mofra
15-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I can relate to that. Although we needed a tall forward, I felt there was a problem in getting a backman to turn forward & play for a club he didn't want to go to. His knees were dodgy and we knew that before we signed him.

I'm glad when Birss wanted to seek opportunities elsewhere, we sent him to teh club he barracked for as a kid, St Kilda. Ray also ended up at St Kilda, which I believe he was happy enough with. In return, Aker & Hudson got to their preferred clubs.

Teams should try tp be a little more accomodating and I believe the Rawlings situation proves this.

Sedat
15-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Teams should try tp be a little more accomodating and I believe the Rawlings situation proves this.
Was 2 years later, but that's exactly what we did for Rawlings. Just remember, we didn't control Rawlings' destiny in 2003 - it was Hawthorn that essentially controlled this. When we were in control of his destiny in 2005, we bent over backwards to get him to his preferred destination.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Rawlings wanted out at Hawthorn, not sure exactly why but I think 1 year deal wasn't enough.
He was already trying to screw the Hawks over as both partys knew his knee was shot.
Had he not insisted that he go to North then he would he would have gained a lot more respect in a many people's book. What happened to him in that trade period was karma.

bornadog
15-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Rawlings wanted out at Hawthorn, not sure exactly why but I think 1 year deal wasn't enough.
He was already trying to screw the Hawks over as both partys knew he knee was shot.

Had he not insisted that he go to North then he would he would have gained a lot more respect in a many people's book. What happened to him in that trade period was karma.

We were blinded by the fact that we wanted a big CHF, but should have realized why the Hawks were only offering the one year contract.

Sockeye Salmon
15-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Of course we did!

The main club that screwed over Rawlings was North Melbourne.

They convinced him to ask for a trade to them and then refused to pony up a reasonable draft pick to Hawthorn.

The Adelaide Connection
15-05-2009, 07:20 PM

I would certainly not brush aside the word of Chris Grant, one of my favourite players of all time and a seemingly top bloke. The reality is though that there are not too many coaches going around that are liked by every player on their list, I am sure if we asked Jordan McMahon or Farren Ray they may say that they were not fans of rockets. Whether that be a personality, differing opinions, not getting played, etc etc. But a coach is not trying to win a popularity contest, obviously if they can be successful and liked that is a huge bonus, but at the end of the day they have a job to do and sometimes toes will get stepped on.

Let me make this clear, I am neither here nor there on Terry Wallace. I have no real like or dislike for the bloke. I do understand the animosity, but you don't need to be Dr. Phil to know that with any jilted relationship comes the potential for bitterness to simmer long after the house and furniture have been divided up.

However I believe there comes a time when one needs to move on with their lives and stop taking pleasure out of the misfortunes of others. It is really easy to look at the lousy things the bloke has been responsible for, but I bet there was a time when everyone on this forum thought the man was great and brilliant for our footy club.

The facts are that he was a passionate member of our club at one point in time and he did do a very good job for most of his time here. "Leaving the list in shambles" may be a reflection on his poor ability to draft but certainly not on his ability to coach and I would suggest that the "list being in shambles" would certainly have something to do with a team of people, not just the coach.

It is the widely held belief that this footy club were one bad quarter away from winning a premiership after finishing 15th the previous year. If one clears the fog of contempt away from their eyes for a moment a realisation that if achieved it would have gone down as one of the most amazing turnarounds and a Disney movie about Terrys amazing coaching feat and his against the odds team would be on the cards. Malcolm Blight ended up being a messiah in Adelaide, it could have easily been Terry in Footscray.

So yes, there has been a lingering issue with this footy club and his Walletness. But footy clubs screw people over and people screw footy clubs over. As people have admitted we have not been guiltfree. But seven years later I would rather be the sort of guy that reflects on the positives and wishes their former partner well and moves on, rather than the soapy embittered type who sits round hoping all their future pursuits are disasters.

"Until next time, take care of yourselves... and each other" :)

P.S. Terrys coaching record at the Bulldogs:
1996- 15th (took over midyear)
1997- 3rd (Prelim Exit)
1998- 2nd (Prelim Exit)
1999- 4th (Semi Exit)
2000- 7th (Elim. Final Exit)
2001- 10th
2002- 12th (Wallace left before the last game)

ledge
15-05-2009, 08:06 PM
We tend to forget how good he was for us on the field too.

Mofra
16-05-2009, 12:25 PM
However I believe there comes a time when one needs to move on with their lives and stop taking pleasure out of the misfortunes of others. It is really easy to look at the lousy things the bloke has been responsible for, but I bet there was a time when everyone on this forum thought the man was great and brilliant for our footy club.
Very well said, especially the quoted paragraph above.

Dancin' Douggy
16-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I will continue to take EXTREME pleasure, but nicely said.

Topdog
16-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Make no bones about it we did North a favour, we got the player with an attitude problem, exaggerated salary and a bung knee not them and when he did go there we were still were paying for him.

Brisbane and Adelaide didn't have the same feelings as you guys seem to have with the draft period and allowed Aker and Welsh / Hudson (forget which one) to come to the club of their choice. They could have refused to trade but they didn't. They did what was right by the player.

alwaysadog
16-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Twodogs I think you are closer to the truth on this matter than most of the other comments.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, it’s never wrong. What’s more everything changes once you know the outcome. So it’s really easy to sit back now and say this and that for a fact, based on the grossest of generalizations, when there was contradictory evidence at the time.

Yes it’s true that there were those at Hawthorn who thought his knees were never going to stand up for too much longer and there were those who didn’t want him to leave. It’s also true that we had our medical people have a careful look at said joints and they said they were ok. Equally there was some talk of him wanting to go the North but after we wooed him he was effusive in his praise of the club and gave the strong impression that he was going to be a dog for the rest of his life, pun intended.

It was only when the whole thing unraveled that we witnessed the resurfacing of the I never wanted to be here in the first place rationalization, or it’s everybody’s fault but mine that things haven’t worked out. We are usually very quick to see through this form of self justification; I can’t work out why this episode escapes the same attention.

I don’t understand why there are those who constantly criticize our club officials when they are able occasionally, and it is very occasionally, to make them work for us. Is there anyone who really thinks they would have done the right thing by going for anyone but the player they considered to be the best available? We didn’t and never have made the rules, if you put yourself in the draft then it’s open season.

I’m not defending the decision to recruit Jade but I’ve got a better memory for how popular the decision was at the time. In fact after his first game I thought instant beatification if not canonisation was proposed. What I can’t stand is those people who just bag the episode but don’t pull it apart and ask what actually went wrong and what do we need to avoid in future, because if my mail is right we were very close to recruiting the Swans BBB in the very recent past. Would that have been a repetition of the same mistake?

alwaysadog
16-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I would certainly not brush aside the word of Chris Grant, one of my favourite players of all time and a seemingly top bloke. The reality is though that there are not too many coaches going around that are liked by every player on their list, I am sure if we asked Jordan McMahon or Farren Ray they may say that they were not fans of rockets. Whether that be a personality, differing opinions, not getting played, etc etc. But a coach is not trying to win a popularity contest, obviously if they can be successful and liked that is a huge bonus, but at the end of the day they have a job to do and sometimes toes will get stepped on.

Let me make this clear, I am neither here nor there on Terry Wallace. I have no real like or dislike for the bloke. I do understand the animosity, but you don't need to be Dr. Phil to know that with any jilted relationship comes the potential for bitterness to simmer long after the house and furniture have been divided up.

The facts are that he was a passionate member of our club at one point in time and he did do a very good job for most of his time here. "Leaving the list in shambles" may be a reflection on his poor ability to draft but certainly not on his ability to coach and I would suggest that the "list being in shambles" would certainly have something to do with a team of people, not just the coach.

It is the widely held belief that this footy club were one bad quarter away from winning a premiership after finishing 15th the previous year. If one clears the fog of contempt away from their eyes for a moment a realisation that if achieved it would have gone down as one of the most amazing turnarounds and a Disney movie about Terrys amazing coaching feat and his against the odds team would be on the cards. Malcolm Blight ended up being a messiah in Adelaide, it could have easily been Terry in Footscray.

So yes, there has been a lingering issue with this footy club and his Walletness. But footy clubs screw people over and people screw footy clubs over. As people have admitted we have not been guiltfree. But seven years later I would rather be the sort of guy that reflects on the positives and wishes their former partner well and moves on, rather than the soapy embittered type who sits round hoping all their future pursuits are disasters.

1997- 3rd (Prelim Exit)
1998- 2nd (Prelim Exit)
1999- 4th (Semi Exit)
2001- 10th

A terrific post in most ways, The Adelaide Connection, not sure about the point you are making with Grant - Wallace connection. Chris Grant's was a far more important opinion than those of the other two players you mention, and we had been finalists in three of the four years before the 1996 debacle.

Yes things hurt for a time when they go wrong, in football and life, but there's no sense in taking delight in rubbing salt into the wounds.

The first thing is to try to get past the self justification response so you can identify and learn from your mistakes and not repeat them and the second is to move on.

By the way Wallace was a very good player for our club as well and has the odd club B & F to add to his, what was it 17 years service to the club?

Was Wallace perfect? Certainly not.
Did he have a big ego? Certainly seemed to.
Did he try his hardest to contribute to the club? Certainly did.
Did we look forward to going to games under his regime? For the most part a strong yes.
Did he exit in an appropriate manner? Certainly not.

Ledger about even!

alwaysadog
16-05-2009, 07:27 PM

1997- 3rd (Prelim Exit)
1998- 2nd (Prelim Exit)
1999- 4th (Semi Exit)
2001- 10th

A terrific post in most ways, The Adelaide Connection, not sure about the Grant - Wallace connection and we had been finalists in three of the four years before the 1996 debacle.

Yes things hurt for a time when they go wrong, in football and life, but there's no sense in taking delight in rubbing salt into the wounds.

The first thing is to try to get past the self justification response so you can identify and learn from your mistakes and not repeat them and the second is to move on.

By the way Wallace was a very good player for our club as well and has the odd club B & F to add to his, what was it 17 years service to the club?

Did we look forward to going to games under his regime? For the most part a strong yes.

Ledger about even!

LostDoggy
16-05-2009, 10:09 PM
A terrific post in most ways, The Adelaide Connection, not sure about the Grant - Wallace connection and we had been finalists in three of the four years before the 1996 debacle.

Ledger about even!

Well said AlwaysADog - so true. Having said that, I for one, do have trouble giving the guy too much credit, maybe I needed to hear what you had to say to try and let it go :D

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Brisbane and Adelaide didn't have the same feelings as you guys seem to have with the draft period and allowed Aker and Welsh / Hudson (forget which one) to come to the club of their choice. They could have refused to trade but they didn't. They did what was right by the player.
Hudson and Aker. Thats 2 out of plenty that end up at the club of choice.
Welsh went in the preseason draft and he didn't want to leave.

alwaysadog
17-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Now Topdog where did you get those glasses that are rose tinted when viewing the opposition but ones that reveal every conceivable flaw and crack when applied to our club?

I know we should never let the facts get in the way of a good argument but just indulge me. Ernie has already dealt with Adelaide , so that leaves Brissie and quite simply Acker wasn't wanted. He and the coach were conducting WW3 and they were glad to get rid of him.

In those circumstances most clubs didn't want him especially as Aker had missed a lot of time with injuries, but we put our hand up and arranged a deal .

Those are the facts I'll let you do the interpretation but I don't think the facts are consistent with your view of their benevolence.

The Pie Man
17-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Has Tredrea just ended Terry's coaching career?

I actually feel a bit for the Tigs here, they've been very good in the second half (Nahas is a little goer) Still, pretty amusing given the personalities involved

Remi Moses
17-05-2009, 04:54 PM
i think my anger and bitterness will subside when terry gets the axe. Just a sidenote how flighty are Port 5 goals up and should have won this game comfortably,regardless of yesterday's ordinary form I think we've got a better side than port.

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 06:23 PM

You are missing the point here AC. Of course it would be silly to hold a grudge for 7 or 8 years after the fact, and I had no ill feelings when he left (really), as it was coming anyway.. he jumped before he was pushed, essentially.

It is how he has behaved towards the Dogs AFTER he left that is despicable. In the media, he never missed an opportunity to stick the boots in, causing considerable damage to the reputation of the Dogs, and then as head coach of Richmond, oversaw a roomful of incredibly spiteful staff that sought to undermine the Dogs whenever possible by blocking trades, continually putting out scurrilous rumours to the media (providing most of your 'unnamed sources' in negative news stories about the Dogs and Rocket), destabilising players in the last year of their contracts in order to try to convince them to switch over, attempting to poach staff etc.

The first time he has even mentioned the Dogs in a positive light is in the article Bulldog Belle put up, now that his Richmond career is all but over.

Most of his depicable deeds as head of coaching at Richmond towards the Dogs is not public knowledge (and insider news probably doesn't filter down to South Australia), so it is very admirable, AC, for you not to harbour a grudge.

However, far from it being a grudge for a long-ago event, I (and most Bulldog insiders, you will find -- as I said before, search through the archives on WOOF for more info) will find it very hard to overlook his underhanded backstabbing, which was happening until very very recently, and in my opinion, far outweighs anything positive he ever did in his time as head coach at Whitten Oval.

The Adelaide Connection
17-05-2009, 11:15 PM
You are missing the point here AC. Of course it would be silly to hold a grudge for 7 or 8 years after the fact, and I had no ill feelings when he left (really), as it was coming anyway.. he jumped before he was pushed, essentially.

It is how he has behaved towards the Dogs AFTER he left that is despicable. In the media, he never missed an opportunity to stick the boots in, causing considerable damage to the reputation of the Dogs, and then as head coach of Richmond, oversaw a roomful of incredibly spiteful staff that sought to undermine the Dogs whenever possible by blocking trades, continually putting out scurrilous rumours to the media (providing most of your 'unnamed sources' in negative news stories about the Dogs and Rocket), destabilising players in the last year of their contracts in order to try to convince them to switch over, attempting to poach staff etc.

The first time he has even mentioned the Dogs in a positive light is in the article Bulldog Belle put up, now that his Richmond career is all but over.

Most of his depicable deeds as head of coaching at Richmond towards the Dogs is not public knowledge (and insider news probably doesn't filter down to South Australia), so it is very admirable, AC, for you not to harbour a grudge.

However, far from it being a grudge for a long-ago event, I (and most Bulldog insiders, you will find -- as I said before, search through the archives on WOOF for more info) will find it very hard to overlook his underhanded backstabbing, which was happening until very very recently, and in my opinion, far outweighs anything positive he ever did in his time as head coach at Whitten Oval.

I am a reasonably green forumite and you are right, nothing about these dealings have filtered through to the festival state. It certainly does change the goalposts if you have information from the inner sanctum and it sounds like those in though know such as yourself have more than a few reasons to hold a grudge.

My question would then be, are there other clubs that have been targeted by him? Or are there other clubs who do similar things? From all reports St.Kilda registered interest in Corby to make our first round pick disappear. Is it part and parcel that clubs employ a 'win at all cost' attitude? I have heard grumblings that Carlton aren't squeaky clean and Collingwood have almost a universal hatred for applying their considerable muscle to get their own way for the betterment of their club only and sometimes at the detriment of others.

Secondly, will there be a time when the Wallace issue becomes water under the bridge? For example if he were to retire from coaching etc do we put his aggression down to trying to gain an edge and focus back on his numerous achievements wearing our colours and serving our club? I know this is not clear cut, similar to the Carey soap opera, but it would be interesting to see what people think.

The Adelaide Connection
17-05-2009, 11:19 PM
A terrific post in most ways, The Adelaide Connection, not sure about the point you are making with Grant - Wallace connection.

Cheers. I was just responding to a previous poster with the bit about Grant, they had mentioned that in the end he didn't have too many good things to say about Wallace.

Sockeye Salmon
18-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I am a reasonably green forumite and you are right, nothing about these dealings have filtered through to the festival state. It certainly does change the goalposts if you have information from the inner sanctum and it sounds like those in though know such as yourself have more than a few reasons to hold a grudge.

My question would then be, are there other clubs that have been targeted by him? Or are there other clubs who do similar things? From all reports St.Kilda registered interest in Corby to make our first round pick disappear. Is it part and parcel that clubs employ a 'win at all cost' attitude? I have heard grumblings that Carlton aren't squeaky clean and Collingwood have almost a universal hatred for applying their considerable muscle to get their own way for the betterment of their club only and sometimes at the detriment of others.

Don't pay any attention to the St. Kilda/Cordy thing. There were a few clubs keen on him and we were never going to get away with a 2nd rounder. St. KIlda just formalised it.

If you remember a while back there were a number of rumours around about our club - Eade and Rose supposedly not speaking was one. They were all bollocks and came from within Punt Rd. Mark Armstrong being the more likely source than Terry Wallace, I have been led to believe.

azabob
18-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't pay any attention to the St. Kilda/Cordy thing. There were a few clubs keen on him and we were never going to get away with a 2nd rounder. St. KIlda just formalised it.

If you remember a while back there were a number of rumours around about our club - Eade and Rose supposedly not speaking was one. They were all bollocks and came from within Punt Rd. Mark Armstrong being the more likely source than Terry Wallace, I have been led to believe.

SS I think you mean Paul Armstrong? Wonder why Wallace took him with him? Wasn't Armstrong at Geelong and now they are doing well off field, now we are doing well off field? He never filled me with much confidence, from what i saw from him in public anyhow.

Sockeye Salmon
18-05-2009, 06:36 PM
SS I think you mean Paul Armstrong? Wonder why Wallace took him with him? Wasn't Armstrong at Geelong and now they are doing well off field, now we are doing well off field? He never filled me with much confidence, from what i saw from him in public anyhow.

Yeah, my bad. Paul Armstrong.

Rocket Science
20-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Has Tredrea just ended Terry's coaching career?

No silly, it was patently MITCH MORTON (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25509584-19742,00.html)'s doing.

Deflecting to the bitter end.

The Pie Man
20-05-2009, 10:02 AM
No silly, it was patently MITCH MORTON (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25509584-19742,00.html)'s doing.

Deflecting to the bitter end.

It's not a massive stretch to hear Terry blasting 'you've cost me my career' in a dressing room is it?

Now Mitch might be guilty of selfish football, but Terry......

Topdog
20-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Now Topdog where did you get those glasses that are rose tinted when viewing the opposition but ones that reveal every conceivable flaw and crack when applied to our club?

I know we should never let the facts get in the way of a good argument but just indulge me. Ernie has already dealt with Adelaide , so that leaves Brissie and quite simply Acker wasn't wanted. He and the coach were conducting WW3 and they were glad to get rid of him.

In those circumstances most clubs didn't want him especially as Aker had missed a lot of time with injuries, but we put our hand up and arranged a deal .

Those are the facts I'll let you do the interpretation but I don't think the facts are consistent with your view of their benevolence.

Your facts remind me a lot of Rafa from Liverpool. He spoke about a lot of "facts" too, they seemed like he was just trying to make it sound like he was being hard done by.

Name another team that has done what we did with Veale?

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2009, 03:03 PM
It's not a massive stretch to hear Terry blasting 'you've cost me my career' in a dressing room is it?

Now Mitch might be guilty of selfish football, but Terry......

It's just so typically Terry.

Morton made a shocking decision and it cost Richmond the game and he probably deserved the mother of all sprays from the coach, but the wording tells you what's important to Terry.

"You've cost me my career!"

instead of:

"You've cost us the match"

Dry Rot
22-05-2009, 01:07 AM
I can't believe what I saw on TFS tonight.

Didn't the players look happy as they filed out? What do you think of what Newman did?

The Coon Dog
22-05-2009, 01:09 AM
What do you think of what Newman did?

You mean the parody of Terry ala the CGU ad?

I thought it was terrific & I'm sure even Plough would have seen the funny side of it.

Topdog
22-05-2009, 08:16 AM
No TCD, Hutchy claimed it as fact that Newman walked into Terry's office about 24 hours before the "normal meeting" and demanded that the tanned one step down.

If true, I agree with everything Gary Lyon said. He is young and naive for doing it but he has to step down now.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2009, 08:25 AM
No TCD, Hutchy claimed it as fact that Newman walked into Terry's office about 24 hours before the "normal meeting" and demanded that the tanned one step down.

If true, I agree with everything Gary Lyon said. He is young and naive for doing it but he has to step down now.

Sorry my bad, thought he was talking about Sam, not Chris.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 09:04 AM
This stuff could only happen at Richmond.

Fancy Jake King demanding he resign.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Oooo Arrr ya? Oooo Arrr ya?

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I loved Joel Bowden's response to Hutchinson's questions with repeated answers of 'we are 1 and 7'.

Desipura
22-05-2009, 09:33 AM

With Terry having coached and played a total of 498 games, perhaps he did his sums and negotiated in his contract that he could not be sacked before round 10 so he could reach the 500 games tally!

Topdog
22-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I loved Joel Bowden's response to Hutchinson's questions with repeated answers of 'we are 1 and 7'.

That actually was great to watch. If only more of the Tigers players could be so resolute.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 05:55 PM
How's Chris Newman as captain! Can't say he is resolute.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 05:58 PM
How's Chris Newman as captain! Can't say he is resolute.

Did not impress me at all.

Scraggers
22-05-2009, 10:57 PM
You mean the parody of Terry ala the CGU ad?

I thought it was terrific & I'm sure even Plough would have seen the funny side of it.

Sammy doin' the tanned one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFPf8dA9PQ)

Funniest thing Sammy done in a long time :D

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I laughed at it for a while, defs found it amusing!

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 03:16 AM

Yep, absurd... next thing we know, Cam Wight will be baying for Rocket's blood..:p

The Pie Man
23-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Oooo Arrr ya? Oooo Arrr ya?

:D

Beyond strange King could find himself in that position. Basket case, travesty of a club

After such a week, they'll probably win tonight (wasn't enough for me to pick them)

Remi Moses
24-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Classic case of the tail wagging the dog. The captain wanting the coach to resign is just incredible. Me thinks TA TA Tuesday with Terry:D:D

Remi Moses
24-05-2009, 12:55 AM

yes one Paul Armstrong I believe. If any of you woofers feel sorry for this club I will f****** spew up!

Dancin' Douggy
24-05-2009, 10:12 PM
It's honourable for a sea captain to not desert his sinking ship.

But.............. what if the ship is sinking, on fire, completely out of rations, contaminated with toxic chemicals, under heavy enemy fire, and controlled by a mutinous crew. Surrounded by Cannibals and even if you did manage to save the ship you'd be drawn and quartered by the ships owners for sailing the vessel negligently. Vengeful White whales are pounding your keel and you're suffering from severe exposure to ultra violet light. The currents are pushing whats left of your ship towards razor sharp reefs, the swell is building to mountainous waves,
AND IT'S ALL YOUR OWN FAULT.

You just might think of casually stepping off the side.
Wouldn't you?

The Coon Dog
24-05-2009, 10:17 PM

But.............. what if the ship is sinking, on fire, completely out of rations, contaminated with toxic chemicals, under heavy enemy fire, and controlled by a mutinous crew. Surrounded by Cannibals and even if you did manage to save the ship you'd be drawn and quartered by the ships owners for sailing the vessel negligently. Vengeful White whales are pounding your keel and you're suffering from severe exposure to ultra violet light. The currents are pushing whats left of your ship towards razor sharp reefs, the swell is building to mountainous waves,

Wouldn't you?

Not when you need 2 games to reach 500 as player & coach. Ask again if they get belted next week.

Loved reading that scenario there DD. ;)

Dancin' Douggy
24-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks TCD.
I notice I've been elevated to coaching staff!
Very flattered.
Got to tell you all this is such a great site.
Thanks for all your work.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 11:19 PM

Wouldn't you?

Bewdiful, just bewdiful DD! :D

Dancin' Douggy
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
There have been some very mature and balanced posts on WOOF regarding Plough's contribution to to the bulldogs and to the game.

I myself am not so mature and balanced.
Last night was one huge piping hot slice of Schaudenfreude.
With a side serve of beluga caviar and white truffle. Drenched in thick King island cream with a 30 year old Penfold Grange to wash it down. (followed by thirty ice cold freshly poured pots of Carlton in a very quiet Front bar of a country pub on a 35 degree day.

Followed by a Souvlaki ( maybe even two) from Stalactites at 4am

Heaven. Heaven. Heaven.

boydogs
06-06-2009, 08:37 PM
LOL Glad we won I see ;)

alwaysadog
06-06-2009, 09:25 PM
There have been some very mature and balanced posts on WOOF regarding Plough's contribution to to the bulldogs and to the game.

I myself am not so mature and balanced.
Last night was one huge piping hot slice of Schaudenfreude.
With a side serve of beluga caviar and white truffle. Drenched in thick King island cream with a 30 year old Penfold Grange to wash it down. (followed by thirty ice cold freshly poured pots of Carlton in a very quiet Front bar of a country pub on a 35 degree day.

Followed by a Souvlaki ( maybe even two) from Stalactites at 4am

Heaven. Heaven. Heaven.

DD you have made some great posts but Grange with cream, an awful match!

alwaysadog
06-06-2009, 09:27 PM
That actually was great to watch. If only more of the Tigers players could be so resolute.

Is this why Caro Bloody Wilson hates him?

Dancin' Douggy
06-06-2009, 10:57 PM
DD you have made some great posts but Grange with cream, an awful match!

But Grange with 30 pots of Carlton...................perfect!

alwaysadog
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
But Grange with 30 pots of Carlton...................perfect!

Why waste Grange? If you drank it first you wouldn't remember what it tasted like and if you drank it after it would be a waste of time, you wouldn't be able to tell it from cheap plonk or paint stripper.

Dancin' Douggy
07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Thankyou for your kind advice alwaysadog.

BUT I'M NOT REALLY DOING IT..........