PDA

View Full Version : Jason Akermanis

bulldogtragic
13-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I think he has another year of good footy left in him. I would like to re-sign him for 2010.

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I think he has another year of good footy left in him. I would like to re-sign him for 2010.

I would actually like him to stay and be an assistant coach when he finishes anyway -- too valuable to let him just go to another club.

aker39
13-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I would actually like him to stay and be an assistant coach when he finishes anyway -- too valuable to let him just go to another club.

I think he will go straight in to the media

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I think he will go straight in to the media

Didn't he say he wants to coach? I'm quite sure he's not looking for a long media stint before then.. he's seen Vossy go in pretty much immediately so he'll be looking to do the same.

Anyway, he can do media AND be an assistant coach. Plenty of them around.

AndrewP6
13-05-2009, 05:56 PM
If he's fit and contributing, I'd like him to go again....however I think this year will be his last.. :(

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2009, 05:57 PM
He's been one of our best so far this year.

If he keeps it up, we'd be silly not to re-contract him for a further year.

Not many players with his ability, even if he has lost a yard or two of pace.

aker39
13-05-2009, 06:00 PM
.. he's seen Vossy go in pretty much immediately so he'll be looking to do the same.

He has criticised Vossy's appointment

hujsh
13-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Didn't he say he wants to coach? I'm quite sure he's not looking for a long media stint before then.. he's seen Vossy go in pretty much immediately so he'll be looking to do the same.

He said no club would be willing to take a chance on him though.

Obviously doesn't consider it a possibility talking like that

bulldogtragic
13-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I asked Aker on the HUn live forum recently what he would like to do after footy - his response was try many different things such as travel, before nailing down to one thing. The questions was along the lines of media vs assistant coach.

ledge
13-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Probably wants to fly around the world, its safer than him driving a car from what i saw a few months ago.

LostDoggy
13-05-2009, 07:06 PM
The guy has a super footy brain but with all his class you can still tell its the basics that he makes sure he nails. Note his short passes, he concentrates so hard on getting head over the ball that his chin is nearly on his boot. His reading of the play and positioning are exceptional, he could teach a lot about kicking to advantage too.

I hope he plays next year, so much benefit to having him at the dogs.

1eyedog
13-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Stated in an article at the start of the year that the biggest reason he was not going around again next year was the rigors of a full preseason. He said they are getting harder and harder. When the time comes who knows what he will choose. There is really no escaping the tribulations of a full preseason and he'll need to do another one to be worth the money he'll be paid.

BulldogBelle
13-05-2009, 09:46 PM

I think so too, he inspires the younger 'brothers' and by his own admission he is enjoying his football to the max and loves the club and his teammates. If he continues to play as he has been no reason why we shouldn't keep him on next year. I vote Yes!

boydogs
13-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I will express my view with an illustration:

......../ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
......./ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /:)
/ / / / / /...................../ / / / /..../ / / / /
......../ /..................../ / / / /..../ / / / /
/ / / / /..................../ / / / /..../ / / / /

OK maybe not.

We should be 'bending over backwards' to keep him on
I hope we are not so bureaucratic that we decide we can't change our plans, he will only be 32 next year, he is a brownlow medallist still contributing who believes he can continue to contribute

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Lets wait and see if he is still playing well at the end of the year. His end to last year was vary average, but I agree if he shows he can maintain his form for a full season than he should retained next year.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Lets wait and see if he is still playing well at the end of the year. His end to last year was vary average, but I agree if he shows he can maintain his form for a full season than he should retained next year.

Agree with you, Slapper. Would love to keep him next season if his end of season form warrants, however (there's always a however), if next season's draft is shallow and with GC17 having a major impact in the draft, are we better to let Aker go and keep one of our rookies we've invested in?

I'd further qualify the above statement, by saying Aker's form must be very good at season's end, and that the club should modify his pre-season to help get him through the year, whilst Aker agrees to a performanced based salary.

With Aker having announced earlier this was his last year, the club would have already planned to 'spend' his salary on other players (possibly GC17 targets), and budgeted for a draft pick.

Aker Vs keeping a young rookie (Daniels or O'Shea), or drafting a Williamstown player (Rose or Rampe - one for you GVGjr) and receive a $10000 contribution from Willy.

A very hard decision if Aker's form warrants....

Scorlibo
14-05-2009, 09:27 AM
With Aker the bottom line is a premiership, if we were to win it this year then he would retire, if we were to get close enough (without winning it) to indicate that we will be a chance again in 2010 then I think he might stay on.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't think we can win the flag this or next year (besides a flukers chance). I would be inclined to let Aker,Eagleton and Welsh go this year and Johno and Hudson next.

Our best chance is to blood the kids and hope they can be ready for 2011.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Aker in an interview wiht Tony SHaw (on Foxtel) said we could see apremiership here in 3/4 years.

He said despite what he has said in the past, if we do not win the premiership, and if Eade and he beleieve he is sytill paying good footy than he wll go on becuase he is only playing for a premiership and it is on the cusp.

On today's form, he could easily go around another year/

Brilliant game.

ANd to think people douted trading for him???????????

comrade
16-05-2009, 07:38 PM
An absolute class above today, basically dragging us across the line and proving what a champion he really is.

The value he must be providing to our developing players shouldn't be underestimated.

If his body is right to go next year, I hope he plays on.

mighty_west
16-05-2009, 07:57 PM
We want players like Aker to keep going on, because they do things that everyday players can't, but i think it's a little premiture going on about he should play next year etc etc, it's a loooong season, especially for the older blokes like Aker, lets access things come round 18, 22, finals time etc.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-05-2009, 08:23 PM
We want players like Aker to keep going on, because they do things that everyday players can't, but i think it's a little premiture going on about he should play next year etc etc, it's a loooong season, especially for the older blokes like Aker, lets access things come round 18, 22, finals time etc.

Spot on, we need to give all the young kids a chance to put their hand up for his spot, Right now i would sign him up as he is streets ahead of at least 1/2 the list.

mighty_west
16-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Spot on, we need to give all the young kids a chance to put their hand up for his spot, Right now i would sign him up as he is streets ahead of at least 1/2 the list.

Plus where Rocket and the coaching staff see where we are at, at the end of this season, if they generally believe we are a REAL Premiership threat in 2010, or waiting for the younger forward to come through etc etc, right now, Aker is in very good form, but what happens [touch wood] his calf's blow up mid year or near the end of the season etc etc..

Alot of people get carried away, i call em "Mike Sheahans", they change on a weekly basis depending on the week just gone!!! ;)

alwaysadog
16-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Not too many players going around who can and do change the course games. Used to frustrate the hell out of me when he'd do it against us as a mid fielder and now he can do it up forward. If he's willing to continue who and for what reasons would one retire such a player while it's still within his grasp to do it ?

hujsh
16-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Aker in an interview wiht Tony SHaw (on Foxtel) said we could see apremiership here in 3/4 years.

More specifically we have the same ingredients that he saw at Brisbane minus the wealth.

Remi Moses
16-05-2009, 09:56 PM
he was outstanding today and we've won that deal Pick 34 Chris Schmidt was de-listed by the Lions and is now on Adelaide's rookie list:):)

LostDoggy
16-05-2009, 10:03 PM
An absolute class above today, basically dragging us across the line and proving what a champion he really is.

The value he must be providing to our developing players shouldn't be underestimated.

If his body is right to go next year, I hope he plays on.

Wasn't able to get to the game today, but listened to it, and from what I heard, your statements are true Comrade. I too, hope that he plays on, body willing, and planets in alignment, etc., etc. :D

ledge
16-05-2009, 10:06 PM
We read about forward coaches, back coaches, centre coaches, if there was football brain coaching Aker would be the man!

AndrewP6
17-05-2009, 01:30 AM
I've said from the day we drafted him that it was a great move...he's showing this year (again!) why that is. A guy who knows where to go, when to go, how to go, why to go etc etc. When the game could swing either way (as today might have) a champion like Aker comes to the fore. He kept us in that game... if he's physically OK, I say keep him... that said, he's admitted the prospect of another preseason isn't appealing...here's hoping he can go on and succeed with us....