PDA

View Full Version : Round 8 Preview – Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs AKA THE '54 GRAND FINAL REMATCH

comrade
13-05-2009, 06:53 PM
2008 Results
Rd 15. Western Bulldogs (95) dftd Melbourne (64)
Rd 2. Melbourne (66) dftd by Western Bulldogs (161)

2009 Form
Melbourne 1 wins 6 losses
Western Bulldogs 4 wins 3 losses

Players under the Pump
Western Bulldogs – Andrejs Everitt, Ben Hudson,
Melbourne – Hard to judge as there isn’t any real pressure that comes with expectation.

Players under consideration
Western Bulldogs - Tim Callan, Callan Ward, Wayde Skipper
Melbourne – Michael Newton, Daniel Bell, Kyle Cheney

Summary – A chance for the Bulldogs to entrench themselves in the top 4 against an improving Melbourne.

Key Match-ups

Dale Morris vs Russel Robertson
Robertson is up and running after recovering from a horrific archilles tendon injury. Dale’s closing speed will help shut down Robertson on the lead, and he’ll take heart in the fact that he’s not having to punch above his weight like last week against St Nick. Robertson has troubled us at times but I’m confident Dale will do what he does best – make his opponent beg for mercy

Aaron Davey vs Jarrod Harbrow
Harbrow is a good match up for The Flash, as he is quick enough to stay with him and can follow him into the midfield. Davey will also have to respect Harbrow’s attacking instincts, as we all know he loves to move the ball forward by dodging and weaving. If Davey gets on top I’d stick Picken in his back pocket and see if he enjoys the attention. If I recall correctly, Callan did a number on Davey last year and he didn’t take it well at all.

Cale Morton vs Daniel Cross
Cale Morton is averaging 25 possessions, is tall and if he created a tag team with Ayce Cordy the combined weight would barely tip 100kg. He’s one of Melbourne’s prime movers and we need to curb his influence in linking up from the half back line/wing. Crossy played himself into some form last week, throwing himself into packs and taking some very nice overhead marks. Put him head to head with Morton and make the kid worry about stopping Crossy, rather than being a weapon himself.

Lynden Dunn vs Adam Cooney
Last time out, Dunn tagged Cooney in a big way and really curbed his influence. With Cooney showing some ripping form last week, I expect a tough day at the office for little Lynden. I also expect Griffen to have a big one as Melbourne will be forced to put in time and resources into stopping Coon, hopefully freeing up Griff.

Brad Miller vs Tom Williams
Someone mentioned that Miller is playing like a poor man’s Riewoldt – that’s almost like comparing Bill Gates to a bum living under a bridge – but I understand the analogy. After getting taught a lesson by Taylor Walker last week, I expect Williams to have a chance at redemption by getting an early crack at Miller at some stage. Miller is dangerous because he does work hard and is a good size, but he doesn’t have a lot of tricks. That’s what tends to worry Tommy – the forwards who are too clever and outsmart him. Bloody rugby background!

Who else do the Melbourne have to watch?
Aker only needs a dozen possessions to split open a game, Murphy is dancing and dazzling again and Josh Hill is like a ghost, floating in front of packs.

Also, dare I say it – Eagleton could be a game breaker if his kicking boot is on and he’s prepared to run hard into dangerous positions like last week.

The Verdict
Wins are like gold this year, with a log jammed ladder indicating how even it is this year.

If the Dogs are to be considered real contenders we should win this in a canter, playing tough and skilled football.

But – Melbourne are definitely not the rabble they were last year. With some decent youngsters coming through and an improved appetite for the contest, you would imagine Rocket will be drilling into the boys that a win should not be taken as a given.

Dogs by 45 points after breaking open the game after half time.

Sedat
13-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Excellent summary Comrade. I've been impressed with what Melbourne are trying to achieve and they are starting to piece things together slowly for a sustained tilt at long term success down the track.

Do you think and real tough and nasty defensive-oriented hard-arse like Picken would be a better match-up for Davey? Davey has previous form in not being able to handle these types at all, and he is by far their most offensive weapon this season. Picken has shown good form on the speedsters already with great shut-down jobs performed on Harvey, Deledio and McLeod already this season. On paper Harbrow might appear to be a better match-up but I fear he might not be quite as close-checking as Picken would be.

Brad Miller might be a poor man's Riewoldt, but if anyone has seen Brad's better half, he leaves Riewoldt for dead in this area:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb1-fh8JJow

hujsh
13-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Aaron Davey vs Jarrod Harbrow
Harbrow is a good match up for The Flash, as he is quick enough to stay with him and can follow him into the midfield. Davey will also have to respect Harbrow’s attacking instincts, as we all know he loves to move the ball forward by dodging and weaving. If Davey gets on top I’d stick Picken in his back pocket and see if he enjoys the attention. If I recall correctly, Callan did a number on Davey last year and he didn’t take it well at all.

I think he may have cracked the shits when shut down by Campbell Brown 2-3 years ago.

comrade
13-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Do you think and real tough and nasty defensive-oriented hard-arse like Picken would be a better match-up for Davey? Davey has previous form in not being able to handle these types at all, and he is by far their most offensive weapon this season. Picken has shown good form on the speedsters already with great shut-down jobs performed on Harvey, Deledio and McLeod already this season. On paper Harbrow might appear to be a better match-up but I fear he might not be quite as close-checking as Picken would be.

I think that's the beauty of having a player like Harbrow developing a defensive aspect to his game - it gives Rocket the option of switching him and Picken depending on how match ups are working during the game.

Picken might actually get first crack at Davey in an effort to deflate him nice and early. As you said, he has form when it comes to struggling with a hard, niggly tag. My only concern is that he is in career best form and could have too many tricks for Picken at this stage, but you could've assumed the same thing with Harvey, Deledio, McLeod etc.

Brad Miller might be a poor man's Riewoldt, but if anyone has seen Brad's better half, he leaves Riewoldt for dead in this area:

If footballing skill was determined by the attractiveness of your better half, Brad Miller would be a multiple Brownlow medallist, and future Hall of Famer.

boydogs
13-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I worry about playing Williams against smaller players - he is 101 kgs, which makes him not as quick off the mark to counter leads. Last week a prime example. And what do we do with Lake? Forward? May be a week to rest Tommy.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Excellent summary Comrade. I've been impressed with what Melbourne are trying to achieve and they are starting to piece things together slowly for a sustained tilt at long term success down the track.

Pia's an old friend actually, we go way back -- she and Rody Vargas grew up in the same block. It's actually funny seeing her in ads and on billboards when she was the Pepsi girl a few years back.

Mantis
14-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I worry about playing Williams against smaller players - he is 101 kgs, which makes him not as quick off the mark to counter leads. Last week a prime example. And what do we do with Lake? Forward? May be a week to rest Tommy.

I wouldn't have thought so, we need to play him as much as we can to build up his experience & confidence.

I haven't seen much of Melb this year, but would be intersted to know from those who have what type of role Davey is playing? He seems to be picking up a lot of touches so I suspect he is spending more time in the midfield.

Sedat
14-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't have thought so, we need to play him as much as we can to build up his experience & confidence.

I haven't seen much of Melb this year, but would be intersted to know from those who have what type of role Davey is playing? He seems to be picking up a lot of touches so I suspect he is spending more time in the midfield.
Davey has been their defensive playmaker off half back this season (their 'Gilbee' if you will), and has been used as much as possible as their outlet option transitioning from defence into attack. He would be close to leading their B&F at the moment so he needs plenty of work put into him this week.

Sedat
14-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Pia's an old friend actually, we go way back -- she and Rody Vargas grew up in the same block. It's actually funny seeing her in ads and on billboards when she was the Pepsi girl a few years back.
I have to say she is quite stunning and has a very natural, effortless beauty. Brad's found a keeper no doubt about that.

Mantis
14-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Davey has been their defensive playmaker off half back this season (their 'Gilbee' if you will), and has been used as much as possible as their outlet option transitioning from defence into attack. He would be close to leading their B&F at the moment so he needs plenty of work put into him this week.

Who do you think would be up to the task? Possibly Picken.

BTW good work on the preview comrade.

Sedat
14-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Who do you think would be up to the task? Possibly Picken.
Picken would be my first choice. Davey can't stand the really close attention, Picken has the work ethic and the tank to go with Davey all day, and he also has shown that he can handle the faster outside mids with aplomb. Much like his role in shutting out McLeod's creativity and effectiveness off half back on Sunday, Picken could be entrusted to do a similar role on a similar player this week. Harbrow is a good 2nd option to have on hand if needed.

aker39
14-05-2009, 09:55 AM

I went to the Melbourne v Geelong game a couple of weeks ago (before our twilight game) and it is quite obvious that Melbourne are using Davey as much as possible to bring the ball out of defence. The are really looking for him.

He is always running around the back of someone who has taken a mark or free kick and looking for the handball and then his off on a run.

We really need to be prepared for this, especially the man on the mark.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I have to say she is quite stunning and has a very natural, effortless beauty. Brad's found a keeper no doubt about that.

More importantly though, she's actually a lovely person. Kind, funny, humble, no airs about her at all. You know, I didn't put two and two together with Brad (never realised he was the same Brad Miller that played for Melbourne!) until relatively recently - tell you what, he looks like a model himself, so I always assumed he was someone she knew from work (never asked him what he did)! Their kids are lovely too.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Picken would be my first choice. Davey can't stand the really close attention, Picken has the work ethic and the tank to go with Davey all day, and he also has shown that he can handle the faster outside mids with aplomb. Much like his role in shutting out McLeod's creativity and effectiveness off half back on Sunday, Picken could be entrusted to do a similar role on a similar player this week. Harbrow is a good 2nd option to have on hand if needed.

Picken is in the team for precisely this job, isn't he? I would be hard pressed to see who else he would go to if he didn't have first crack at Davey.

Mofra
14-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Players under consideration
Western Bulldogs - Tim Callan, Callan Ward, Wayde Skipper

Excellent summary comrade, just wondering what the chance of Higgins retuirning to the side is now that his groin appears to be healing well?

If he does, who goes out of the side?

The Coon Dog
14-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Excellent summary comrade, just wondering what the chance of Higgins retuirning to the side is now that his groin appears to be healing well?

Sure Mof? Yesterday it was felt he'd miss as a precaution.

Higgins set to miss as Dogs exercise caution. (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4906)

If Higgins doesn't come up, I can't see a need for change.

comrade
14-05-2009, 01:02 PM

It appears Higgins will get another week on the sidelines, but we’ll be asking the same question next week.

I think Everitt might be in the gun but I think he could play a key role against the Cats next week, where clean kicking skills are crucial.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs AKA THE '54 GRAND FINAL REMATCH

What's AKA got to do with the 1954 Grand Final?

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 01:52 PM

Totally agree Mantis, we need to get as much game time into Tommy for exactly the reasons you state - his confidence and match day experience. I am not as learned as most of you on this site, but IMO, as long as he isn't taking a very fast player, surely being tall is not an issue? Maybe an old fashioned point of view, but I always thought that no matter what, a tall player doesn't get any shorter as the game progresses. It seems we are always being criticized for being short and giving away so much height, so why would we rest a tall player?

bornadog
14-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Comrade, great preview. I will be very disappointed if we don't win well in this game. I know they pushed Geelong for a few quarters but once Geelong put the foot on the pedal it was all over. We need four consistent quarters , not just one big one like last week.

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Totally agree Mantis, we need to get as much game time into Tommy for exactly the reasons you state - his confidence and match day experience. I am not as learned as most of you on this site, but IMO, as long as he isn't taking a very fast player, surely being tall is not an issue? Maybe an old fashioned point of view, but I always thought that no matter what, a tall player doesn't get any shorter as the game progresses. It seems we are always being criticized for being short and giving away so much height, so why would we rest a tall player?

MG,

Don't give the posters on this site too much respect, they're not really that knowledgeable about football, they just claim to be.

Except for me. I am clearly the smartest one here.

boydogs
14-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs AKA THE '54 GRAND FINAL REMATCH

What's AKA got to do with the 1954 Grand Final?

AKA = Also Known As

boydogs
14-05-2009, 11:32 PM

When the opposition has the ball delivering it to their forward line, having players too short or weak to compete against their opponent in a marking contest, or too slow to keep with them on the lead is a liability. The saying 'a tall player doesn't get any shorter as the game progresses' refers to tall players having more chance to take marks towards the end of the game as running players become tired and stop presenting as much, so the ball is kicked to a contest and the talls can use their height/size to advantage. It probably is old fashioned to rely on this strategy as these days the fitness level and interchange reduces the fatigue of the running players at the end of a game, the opposition forward line is not where you want to stack talls waiting for the opposition to get tired at the end of the game.

This is something our own forward line takes advantage of - sides develop their defense to play against a forward line that includes a couple of talls or strong one on one players, so they struggle for match ups with our leading forwards

We have quite a tall backline now - yes in the past we were short but now with Lake, Williams, Morris, Hargrave, Everitt and Tiller things are different, I can see Brad Miller as being a player whose quality and position at CHF may tempt us to play Tommy on him, whereas as was proven last week in the first quarter with Taylor Walker taking mark after mark on the lead with Tommy out of the picture we need a smaller defender on the quick leadup players. I see Miller as Melbourne's Rob Murphy, quick off the mark putting space between him and his opponent to be a target when bringing the ball forward

Tommy wasn't great for us last week and could be struggling to recover from his foot injury and benefit from the week off, if not then it may be a chance for us to send Lake forward and expose Melbourne's lack of height and strength that way