PDA

View Full Version : Do current Western Bulldog players log into WOOF ??

Scraggers
13-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I was thinking about this yet again last night ...

I know you have to be thick skinned to play elite sports nowadays, but with the amount of critisism we throw around here (and conversely the amount of praise) ... I often wonder if players logged on here ...

The possiblities are intriguing ...

They could :-

log on to give a team mate herbs
log on to fluff their own pillows
log on to read about their good / bad performances

What do you think ??

If it were you ... would you ??

Sgt Slaughter
13-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Do you think a footballer would take the time to log on, at home or wherever he may be, to read some supporter speculation about the performances and goings on at the club, when he'd have a first hand view of the game and spend the majority of his time down at WO? It seems unlikely...I know I wouldn't.

But, I'm not a footballer so I like to log on and have a squizz every now and again, although I think I'll be giving Bigfooty a miss from now on. It seems to be getting worse everyday....

AndrewP6
13-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Yep, I would....

GVGjr
13-05-2009, 09:48 PM
It would be harder for the family of any player to visit websites. As you would be aware, the players get ridiculed by the fans at games so they are a bit battle hardened to it but the direct family would take unfair criticism a bit more to heart.

The players wouldn't take the criticism that well from the papers but they wouldn't be too concerned with most remarks or comments from websites.

aker39
13-05-2009, 10:53 PM
It would be harder for the family of any player to visit websites.

I know that Sam Powers brother (not Luke) used to visit BF quite regularly and defend him.

I thought he would have been better off staying away from the sight, but he felt oblidged to defend his brother.

comrade
13-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I know that Sam Powers brother (not Luke) used to visit BF quite regularly and defend him.

I thought he would have been better off staying away from the sight, but he felt oblidged to defend his brother.

Geez, poor bloke would've got RSI reading BF circa 2007.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Geez, poor bloke would've got RSI reading BF circa 2007.
So it was Sammy's brother and I that started the 'Sam Power Posse' and only got two members... :(

The BF crap and hate campaign against Sammy was crap and those goings-on are why WOOF is so great. At least criticism gere is factually based and disucssed in an adult manner.

Every team needs good ordinary players, and Sam was and is. I will still defend him now and did so in another thread a few days back.

Desipura
14-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Mantis is actually Eagleton, he finds when he bags himself, he fires up on the weekend.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Mantis is actually Eagleton, he finds when he bags himself, he fires up on the weekend.

Hahhha gold! :D

Ozza
14-05-2009, 01:01 PM
One of my best mates plays for North Melbourne - and whilst he has been on Bigfooty for a read before - he knows to keep away. Particularly as he generally gets caned by his own supporters on there - I don't think it bothers him too much - he has laughed off how much he gets canned on there - he only really worries about what the coaches say to him.

I think most players would have lurked around on the forums at least once or twice.

mighty_west
14-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Good on him, and no, i'm not hos brother even though i always defended Sam :D, i remember when Fossie was always defending Kmac as well, and good on him, it's far too easy to bag players from the other side of the fence, who am i to judge a player that has played a far far superior level of footy to myself and a player to pull on the red white & blue...

As a poster, i don't mind reading critisism as long as it's constructive, unfortunatly on Big Footy, you get the 14 & 15 year olds that just post the biggest amount of crap, well some are probably old enough to vote, but don't act it, when you read people write things like he's a dud, or this blokes crap etc, it gets a bit boring after a while.

With players having a bit of a read on forums, i guess it depends on the person himself, some probably couldn't give a stuff what people write, then you probably also get players that would find it very hard to read.

azabob
14-05-2009, 02:10 PM
One of my best mates plays for North Melbourne - and whilst he has been on Bigfooty for a read before - he knows to keep away. Particularly as he generally gets caned by his own supporters on there - I don't think it bothers him too much - he has laughed off how much he gets canned on there - he only really worries about what the coaches say to him.

I think most players would have lurked around on the forums at least once or twice.

Not expecting you to name the player, but how old is he, how long has he been in the system, many games? If you dont feel comfortable maybe just give an approx of how long he has been on there list.

Throughandthrough
14-05-2009, 02:26 PM
i'm involved in a similar forum for one of the SANFL teams (Glenelg)

( www.snoutslouts.org if anyone cares)

And YES it's a different league/level of commitment/professionalism etc etc etc

(we sponsor one of the players as well, have a strong unofficial relationship with the club)

A fair few of the players there browse past from time to time, also get some positive feedback from interstate family members (mainly parents) of the players who wouldn't find out otherwise what little Johnny is up to!

I post photos of the players on flickr; have had over 20,000 page views this season which staggers me.

Thankfully; like this forum; most of the stuff is responsible and mature in regards to praise and criticism.

A few of the players have posted from time to time advertising functions; and from rare time to time in the past players have voted for themselves in the POTY using their pseudonyms... :)

Ozza
14-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Not expecting you to name the player, but how old is he, how long has he been in the system, many games? If you dont feel comfortable maybe just give an approx of how long he has been on there list.

Has been in the system since he was 16 - and got brought up to Melbourne and put into school to finish Year 11 & 12. I'm pretty sure he's 29 in November. Played his 150th game late last year - has only played 2 games this year. **Feels like a big Who Am I and I'm Glen Ridge......ooooorrrrrrrrrkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy**!

Desipura
14-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Has been in the system since he was 16 - and got brought up to Melbourne and put into school to finish Year 11 & 12. I'm pretty sure he's 29 in November. Played his 150th game late last year - has only played 2 games this year. **Feels like a big Who Am I and I'm Glen Ridge......ooooorrrrrrrrrkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy**!

Watt are you saying? Played 150 games, thats a fair effort. He would have to be one of the first players supporters get stuck into.

Ozza
14-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Watt are you saying? Played 150 games, thats a fair effort. He would have to be one of the first players supporters get stick into.

I think its an outstanding achievement. He was pretty down about everything a few weeks ago when not in the mix for selection, and playing in some losing VFL teams. Really great to see him back out there playing. The last probably 6 years have been tipped as his 'last contract' or 'last year' - but he keeps plugging away - and got life membership last year.

azabob
14-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I think its an outstanding achievement. He was pretty down about everything a few weeks ago when not in the mix for selection, and playing in some losing VFL teams. Really great to see him back out there playing. The last probably 6 years have been tipped as his 'last contract' or 'last year' - but he keeps plugging away - and got life membership last year.

Reality is 150 games is a great achievement and life membership that is something pretty special. Thanks for the info Ozza. Im glad he took the wise move not to look at bigfooty anymore. I guess there would be nothing more frustrating for him and other players is to read Joe Blogs slaggin you off and there is nothing you can do about except as you said dont go onto those forums.