PDA

View Full Version : Will Minson's Tap work

Dancin' Douggy
13-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I noticed an interesting stat from the Adelaide game.
Will was credited with 16 tap outs.
Kurt Tippet was credited with 16 as well.
BUT....... Will had 56% to advantage. Tippett 19%.

So Will has had 9 effective disposals from the ruck to add to his kick/handball tally (9)

The point I'm trying to make is that Minson is actually a very good tap ruckman and it's not his fault he's being asked to fill a hole in the forward line.

I'm a big supporter of Wills. I think his presence and attitude are great for the team.
When we have forwards and Will can play his role as a strong big aggressive tap ruckman he'll really shine. And the truth is, for a ruckman drifting forward to kick the occasional goal he's not doing that bad a job.
GO WILL!

AndrewP6
13-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Well said Douggy

Dry Rot
13-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I noticed an interesting stat from the Adelaide game.
Will was credited with 16 tap outs.
Kurt Tippet was credited with 16 as well.
BUT....... Will had 56% to advantage. Tippett 19%.

So Will has had 9 effective disposals from the ruck to add to his kick/handball tally (9)

The point I'm trying to make is that Minson is actually a very good tap ruckman and it's not his fault he's being asked to fill a hole in the forward line.

I'm a big supporter of Wills. I think his presence and attitude are great for the team.
When we have forwards and Will can play his role as a strong big aggressive tap ruckman he'll really shine. And the truth is, for a ruckman drifting forward to kick the occasional goal he's not doing that bad a job.
GO WILL!

Got some stats from some other games? He wasn't exactly up against Cox last weekend.

Dancin' Douggy
13-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Truth be told it's the first time I've noticed that stat at all (The Age)
But I have noticed his tapwork before as being quite good.
I recently watched the tape from Dogs v lions at docklands 2005.
Remember the last quarter comeback? Cooney really came of age in that quarter and took clearance after clearance from the centre.
Minson was shoving it down his throat from the ruck every time.
I know that's four years ago but I still maintain my opinion.
I'll keep an eye on those stats from now on though!

soupman
14-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Remember the last quarter comeback? Cooney really came of age in that quarter and took clearance after clearance from the centre.

Yeah. I belive there was a period in 05 and/or 06 where when we piled on heaps of goals, which we often did, it was when Will was playing in the ruck. Trust me, go back through the games of the last few years and I reckon despite being the second ruck, Will has been in the ruck when we get a run on.

Even on the weekend we didn't really get on top until the thrid quarter, when you guessed it, Will was playing in the ruck and coming into the game.

Now I'm not trying to credit him as being the matchwinner, but it just seems odd that when he's in the ruck we often seem to get our run ons.

Scorlibo
14-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Yea I was at that game, Cooney was amazing in that last quarter, bursting from the middle time after time. I neber really took note of Will with the taps because it happens quite quickly, but those two often share a good understanding around the centre square.

Speaking of hitoputs to adantage, Jordan Roughead is set to be the king of that stat because his tap work is b-e-a-utiful!

Sedat
14-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Only got to see the 2nd half of the game last night for the first time. Apparently Big Will had a mare in the 1st half, but I have to say that his 3rd quarter was a cracker, both in drifting forward and especially with his deft ruck work.

I remember when we came flying home in the last 6 rounds of 2005, Will and Coons had developed a terrific understanding at the stoppages - Sunday's 3rd quarter reminded me of that again.

Desipura
14-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Until he can play 70% of the game in the ruck and dominate against QUALITY ruckman, I will reserve my judgement. Having said that, I believe he is playing slightly better than the bearded one to this stage.
Schwartz made the comment in that Will is very intelligent off the ground however it does not translate onto the footy field, harsh but there is some truth in this.
Would love for Will to continue improving as he is a great bloke to talk to.

Cyberdoggie
14-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Every now and again Will decides to turn it on.
It's usually in the 3rd quarter when he is in the ruck.

It only happens sparingly but it certainly does happen.

Perhaps he is just one of those characters that needs a rocket or a certain atmosphere/situation to get him fired up and playing inspirational football, and the rest of the time he can be flat.

I also believe our game style really doesn't give big men with less skill much to work with. He would be under instruction a lot of the time to handball it to someone else as soon as he gets the pill. Having less faith in your own abilities certainly leads to a negative, less risk taking frame of mind.
If i was a coaching staff, i would tell him just grab the thing and go for it. If you stuff up well so be it.

craigsahibee
14-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Every now and again Will decides to turn it on.
It's usually in the 3rd quarter when he is in the ruck.

It only happens sparingly but it certainly does happen.

Perhaps he is just one of those characters that needs a rocket or a certain atmosphere/situation to get him fired up and playing inspirational football, and the rest of the time he can be flat.

I also believe our game style really doesn't give big men with less skill much to work with. He would be under instruction a lot of the time to handball it to someone else as soon as he gets the pill. Having less faith in your own abilities certainly leads to a negative, less risk taking frame of mind.
If i was a coaching staff, i would tell him just grab the thing and go for it. If you stuff up well so be it.

Semi Final against Sydney 2008, case in point. Probably his best quarter of footy for the club.

bornadog
14-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Is it time he took over as the number one ruckman and we ditch the forward play?

azabob
14-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Is it time he took over as the number one ruckman and we ditch the forward play?

Most ruckman seem to go better when they play majority of the game rucking rather than as a bit player here, and a bit player there.
Why not give him a go in the next few weeks?

always right
14-05-2009, 04:47 PM
His tapwork for set plays are a feature. Look for one of our players to position themselves wide of the contest waiting for Will to spike the ball clear so they run onto it. Happens time and time again.

His disposal by foot is also pretty good. Has limited penetration but when clear he rarely misses a target.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 05:12 PM

At the moment I think we need one of Hudson or Minson to go forward be a target big man to at least bring the ball to ground.
I can see Minson being the number 1 ruck but not sure what it means for Hudson.

Happy Days
14-05-2009, 05:21 PM
At the moment I think we need one of Hudson or Minson to go forward be a target big man to at least bring the ball to ground.
I can see Minson being the number 1 ruck but not sure what it means for Hudson.

You've gotta factor in Hudson's fantastic clearance work. Will might be a better tap ruckman, but Hudson's in-and-under work is crucial to our midfield.

LostDoggy
14-05-2009, 06:00 PM
He's an enigma of sorts. But its clear that when he has a burst in the centre, we have a burst. It is not coincidental. I've got a lot of time for Hudson...but attacking players like Cooney have to work that much harder around his 'in and under' ruckwork. I've a feeling that when Roughead is ready to go we will see the true Will "Bird" Minson!

chef
14-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Got some stats from some other games? He wasn't exactly up against Cox last weekend.

I have noticed in the paper that in his last three games he has had over 40% to advantage in his hit-outs(still trying to found some stats on this).

bornadog
14-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I have noticed in the paper that in his last three games he has had over 40% to advantage in his hit-outs(still trying to found some stats on this).

All the stats are here:

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/

chef
14-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks bornadog, but i couldn't find hit outs to advantage.

chef
14-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I just checked, and yeah I couldn't either

I don't know why they don't keep that stat, you would think it's a pretty important one.

Dancin' Douggy
14-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't know why they don't keep that stat, you would think it's a pretty important one.

Yeah that's why it caught my eye. It's what made me start this thread.
It's in the Age stat's but it's the first time I noticed it.
When we have a win after a few losses I try to milk as much as I can out of every possible source. I agree, I think it's a very important stat.

chef
15-05-2009, 07:46 AM
If you have a look in the footy record this Saturday it will have the hit out to advantage stat for the season for the competing ruckman in that game, I've been told this is only place you'll find it.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 10:01 AM
You've gotta factor in Hudson's fantastic clearance work. Will might be a better tap ruckman, but Hudson's in-and-under work is crucial to our midfield.

What's Hudson's numbers like here this season compare to last cos I can't say I've noticed him much in the clearances.

bornadog
15-05-2009, 12:22 PM
What's Hudson's numbers like here this season compare to last cos I can't say I've noticed him much in the clearances.

Here they are to round 7, although Will has probably done more during the last couple of weeks.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/minson.jpg

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Thank BAD. Those stats say either Hudson has dropped or Minson has improved or both.

bornadog
15-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks BAD. Those stats say either Hudson has dropped or Minson has improved or both.

Hudson seems still slightly ahead. Hitouts, clearances, first possession, tackles, but pretty close overall

azabob
15-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Hudson seems still slightly ahead. Hitouts, clearances, first possession, tackles, but pretty close overall

Those are great stats, especially considering some think Hudson is way out ahead of Minson in regards to ruckwork.
Would it be safe to say that Hudson spends more time in the ruck than Minson?

bornadog
15-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Those are great stats, especially considering some think Hudson is way out ahead of Minson in regards to ruckwork.
Would it be safe to say that Hudson spends more time in the ruck than Minson?

It seems that way as Minson spends some time in the forward line.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Minson will not be on the Dogs list in 2yrs. With Roughead and Cordy coming through he will be moved on.

Might be worth a 2nd/3rd round pick.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Maybe you should start a thread on that Jerry so we know to avoid your posts.

chef
15-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Minson will not be on the Dogs list in 2yrs. With Roughead and Cordy coming through he will be moved on.

In two years neither Cordy nor Roughead will be ready to be our number one ruck and Hudson will have retired, I don't think Big Willie is going anywhere.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 06:15 PM
If we can get a decent pick (25-35) for him next year , why not?

You have to take a punt sometimes, we should have done the same with Skipper or Wight and taken 1 more pick into last years draft.

Do you think Minson will want to hang around and play for Williamstown?

hujsh
15-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Then you'll bitch about how crap they are.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Then you'll bitch about how crap they are.

Thats rich! At least im consistent.

What a bitch feast this place turned into with our 3 loses. Everything back to normal now though, Minson great tap ruck and the dynasty is on track.

The Pie Man
15-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Semi Final against Sydney 2008, case in point. Probably his best quarter of footy for the club.

2nd half vs Adelaide in Chris Grant's 300th when Darcy went forward

I think it's a valid question - who is our no.1 ruckman? If we had a power forward capable of consistent senior footy, would both Wil & Hudson be in the same 22

I noticed when Hill took a mark 30 out in the last quarter at AAMI that Hudson was standing next to him with a block....of sorts. Effective nonetheless. Will Hudson also spend more time forward?

I get the feeling Eade is pretty happy with Wil at the minute.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Can't see it happening myself. You have to remember with Minson he's had quite a few injuries over his time on the list, broken hand/thumb, broken leg etc. He's now, over last season and this, having a chance to get some good game time into him, and he's been doing alright.

Anyone would have taken a goal a game from Will last year, and that's what we got. He's never going to be Dean Cox, but he does enough to retain his place in the side.

It also remains to be seen if Cordy and Roughead's potential translates into success at AFL level.

LostDoggy
15-05-2009, 08:47 PM

What a bitch feast this place turned into with our 3 loses. Everything back to normal now though, Minson great tap ruck and the dynasty is on track.

Yes consistent at bitching and crapping. Not one positive, god forgive if we are sucessful cos you won't have anything to say.

Where does it talk about a rucking dynasty here? The thread is about his rucking in the second half of 1 game.

Happy Days
15-05-2009, 10:54 PM

There's a difference between bitching and critisism.

As per your suggestion of trading Minson, say Roughead does come on. Seeing as Cordy is a forward, and Hudson and Skipper will most likely be gone by then, who do you propose backs him up? It's all irrelevent anyway, because I can't see Will going anywhere.

Dancin' Douggy
16-05-2009, 09:36 AM
If you have a look in the footy record this Saturday it will have the hit out to advantage stat for the season for the competing ruckman in that game, I've been told this is only place you'll find it.

It's in the Age

chef
16-05-2009, 06:23 PM
It's in the Age

Yeah i know, but the one in the Record is for the season.

LostDoggy
16-05-2009, 11:10 PM

If we can get a decent pick (25-35) for him next year , why not?

You have to take a punt sometimes, we should have done the same with Skipper or Wight and taken 1 more pick into last years draft.

Do you think Minson will want to hang around and play for Williamstown?

I hope not, I am rating him fairly even at the moment with Huddo and Wil has a lot more potential and life. Plus he can play sax. I reckon Will should be the last man standing of him Huddo and Skipper.

...I dont think Wight should be mentioned in the same sentence as Will.

Will is no Darcy or Wynd but he is a long way better than anyone outside the best 22. Even if Roughead and Cordy became first choices, they would be a few years off and we would still need backup.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I must say I am coming around to Minson. He is hurt by the fact that Hudson is such a similar type ruckman and that he has to play forward to make up his TOG. I said yesterday that he is slightly improving all the time. He is one of the better ruckmen when it comes to hit-outs actually being to advantage.

hujsh
17-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Hopefully he gives us an advantage against a Ottens-less Geelong.

Hudson and Minson bother had 36% of their hitouts go to advantage yesterday.

Comparatively Blake had 29 hitouts with only 3% going to advantage.

Jasper
17-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I must say I am coming around to Minson. He is hurt by the fact that Hudson is such a similar type ruckman and that he has to play forward to make up his TOG. I said yesterday that he is slightly improving all the time. He is one of the better ruckmen when it comes to hit-outs actually being to advantage.

His ruck work is improving and I think he provides a great balance for our side. In the coming years we need him to help Roughead and Cordy's transition into the senior side.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 09:13 PM
His ruck work is improving and I think he provides a great balance for our side. In the coming years we need him to help Roughead and Cordy's transition into the senior side.

Yep. I actually think his own transition was hurt by Darcy's injuries.

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 09:36 PM

I'm not too sure why people expect these kids to all of a sudden become AFL ready next year or the year after etc, in reality, ruckmen don't really [as a rule] come into their prime until mid to late 20's, in 2 years time, both Cordy & Roughead will both be what, 20/21?

I am also not too sure if we can carry too young ruckmen with no experienced ruckman to help out, like what Huddo does with Minson and expect them to carry us to Premiership success.

I would be much more confident with having Minsons big body there, as that Crackers Keating type bash & crash to take on the big boys, would give us so much more flexability with having a Cordy or Roughead up forward most times as well.

Unfortunatly though, alot of people judge Minson alone on his forward work, when in reality, he's a ruckman who can go forward as a pitch hitter to help create contests as we don't have tall forwards to use up there, so the goals he does kick, the marks he takes up forward, to me, thats a bonus.

Topdog
23-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok so last night I thought Minson had a great night in the middle and I believed that most of our good centre work came when he was our ruck. So this morning I thought I'd see how he went with this stat. I can't remember the exact number of hit outs but I think it was 18, his % to advantage though was 0%.

Surely that can't be right?!?! At the very least his punch in the last 30 seconds was definitely to our advantage.

hujsh
23-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Ok so last night I thought Minson had a great night in the middle and I believed that most of our good centre work came when he was our ruck. So this morning I thought I'd see how he went with this stat. I can't remember the exact number of hit outs but I think it was 18, his % to advantage though was 0%.

Surely that can't be right?!?! At the very least his punch in the last 30 seconds was definitely to our advantage.

Must just be the interpretation of the Champion Data guy.

Probably a lesson that stats don't tell the whole story.

Big Will Fan
04-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I heard Paul Williams speaking on Sport 927 the other morning and he said that Will was leading the competition in hit outs to advantage!