PDA

View Full Version : Vs Melbourne - Slaps and Sledges

bulldogtragic
16-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Slaps:

A win is a win i guess.
Akermanis. The ONLY reason we won today.
A few others

Sledges:

Tommy Williams is overrated and make poor decisions and has questionable skills. Everitt is still raw too, but Williams ain't the messiah yet.
Murphy's hammy. Weak.
Senior players again, stat sheet says getting stats, but what are the really doing??? Hanh and Gia i will point my finger at.
Umpiring lots of very poor frees today both ways.
Lake going forward - you played there as a junior, yet look compleyelt out of place up forward

Just thank god we traded and got Aker. Why did we get Aker to win us games. He probably won us 4 to 5 games last year. That's at l;east another games this year he has won for us. Please go around again if we dont win the premiership. If we do i dont care :)

The Doctor
16-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Slaps

- Aker & Morris

- Hudson's great smother

thats it

Sledges

- Johnno, time is almost up. Should only be used off the bench as an impact player

- Harbrow, bad decisions cost goals

- Gilbee, bad decisions cost goals

- Cross, stay on your feet and get off the ground

- Liam Picken back to Willi for Callan

- Too many blokes cruising ie Hill

bulldogtragic
16-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Slaps

-

Was Hill out there today?

Mantis
16-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Did you think it was a good idea that he spent extended periods of the game playing out of a back pocket?

comrade
16-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Did you think it was a good idea that he spent extended periods of the game playing out of a back pocket?

Some really strange defensive match ups today - you mentioned Hill, but Hahn also spent some time down there, as did Gia.

Speaking of Gia, how did you see his performance today Mantis?

The Doctor
16-05-2009, 08:15 PM

He played both ends but couldn't seem to get into it. A few times I watched him and he didn't chase. On one occassion I saw 5 melb players form a squadron running from defence leaving all their Bulldog opponents standing flat footed watching them run it out. Hill was one of them.

To answer your question I'm not opposed to the idea of playing him in the backline however I think half forward or wing is his go.

The Doctor
16-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Speaking of Gia, how did you see his performance today?

Soft in my view.

1 great pass to Aker. Not much else worth mentioning.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Soft in my view.

1 great pass to Aker. Not much else worth mentioning.
I tend to agree. Stat sheet says he is picking up the stats, but i do not think he is damaging enough. Especially to the level we know he can be.

Mantis
16-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Speaking of Gia, how did you see his performance today Mantis?

I thought he was disappointing, as he has been for much of the year.

Mantis
16-05-2009, 08:24 PM
He played both ends but couldn't seem to get into it. A few times I watched him and he didn't chase. On one occassion I saw 5 melb players form a squadron running from defence leaving all their Bulldog opponents standing flat footed watching them run it out. Hill was one of them.

Who were the others?

mighty_west
16-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Sledges

- Johnno, time is almost up. Should only be used off the bench as an impact player

Johnno has to be a stay at home forward for mine, he makes too many silly errors in the midfield, especially a game like today, apart from Aker, we had no forward line.

Harbrow, love the way he takes players on, but far too many turn overs.

Picken has been very good, but Aaron Davey burn't him today.

Gia, got alot of the ball, but again, too many dumb decisions, turn overs.

Mofra
16-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Slaps:

Aker obviously
Harbrow took the game on when he needed to, very happy with his efforts
Everitt is now earning his spot in the side
Welsh keeps presenting

Sledges:

Johnno getting his arse handed to him by a kid who doesn't even shave yet
Injury Gods

The Doctor
16-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Who were the others?

Didn't identify all the others. Think Griffin was one of them.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Slaps

- Aker & Morris

- Hudson's great smother

thats it

Sledges

- Gilbee, bad decisions cost goals

- Cross, stay on your feet and get off the ground

Spot on the only addition is the Bald eagle poor disposal a couple of times that could have really hurt the "Dees"

LostDoggy
16-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Very insipid weak effort today.

SLedges:

Gia - do something! Anything!!!
Williams - he is not the messiah he's a very naughty boy.
The midfield - they look slow, and static - they watch someone running towards them and don't even break into a jog so that they can put the after burners on and get away - just stand there looking flat footed as someone else said.
Gilbee - what has happened to you:eek:

Slaps:

Aker - please play on next year.
Hudson - great smother saved a certain goal
Welsh - that goal from the boundary was brilliant - nice to see him a couple as well.

BulldogBelle
16-05-2009, 09:37 PM
SLAP
Aker- we only won today because of his presence

Minson and Hudson- I was quite pleased with both of their work at stoppages and reasonably pleased around with their around the ground work

Welsh- keeps on presenting, a smart and seasoned campaigner

Morris- lots of strong marks, several intercepts and some good spoils

SLEDGERS
Hahn- I know most CHF's are 192cms and above, but the guy rarely takes a grab, or presents...I think we would be better suited having Lake or Shipper playing in that position. I wouldnt say that Hahn's positioning or football smarts are any better than theirs, they also hold a few marks.

Gia- several bad decisions today. I would prefer to see him playing in the midfield rather than in the forward line. I few soft contests as well.

Johnno- played a great game against the Crows...think the fella tired himself out last week as quite a few of his decisions today were suboptimal

Gilbee- needs to be sent to the back pocket/half back....he kicked a few goals today but we have missed his rebound all season thus far

Hill- need to lift your intensity mate

hujsh
16-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Williams falling into Sockeye's 'pre-20 games legend, post 20 games dud' rule I see.

Remi Moses
16-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Slaps - Aker he was immense in particular early
Slaps- Boyd thought he was one of our best in the second half
Slaps Huddo's smother inspirational stuff

Sledges- Gia he was very ordinary as he has been all season
sledges- Eagleton the best jogging effort i've seen
sledges The whole side that first half effort was absolutely f***** awful

Bring that effort to the table next week and we'll be welly and truly spanked:mad::mad:

Remi Moses
17-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Special sledge for russell ''stuart diver'' robertson honestly how those idiots fell for those two blatant Autumn leaves efforts was mind boggling:mad::mad:

boydogs
17-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Special sledge for russell ''stuart diver'' robertson honestly how those idiots fell for those two blatant Autumn leaves efforts was mind boggling:mad::mad:

I remember during the infamous round 21 2005 a long bomb to a big pack in the goalsquare, he had no chance of marking it so he ran straight at Lake, took a dive and got a free for being shepherded out of the marking contest. But just the like last soccer world cup, as much as Italy were cheats its the umpires getting so easily sucked in that make them try this stuff

AndrewP6
17-05-2009, 01:54 AM
SLAPS

* Jason "Gamewinner" Akermanis... if he wasn't married, I might well have proposed...saved our bacon BIG TIME

* Morris - works his tail off... made a few errors at important times, but also some timely spoils/interceptions/quick hands

* Welsh - love his work. Thrilled to see him presenting, working hard and slotting a few majors, when it looked like few others would.
* owners of the motel I'm in, for putting LCD TV's in all the rooms...

SLEDGES

* Robbo - for diving twice, to get in the ump's good books...and to think, we made a pitch for him to join us. Which leads me to -
* The moron whistleblowers - made my feelings clear on them before. These idiots GAVE Robbo two of his three goals (and I didn't see the first). Wonder if they'll be working next week?

* Most of the side for lack of defensive intensity. And Josh Hill, for lacking ANY INTENSITY. Is his nickname "Cruise"???
* Anyone who laid a tackle that an 8-year old could break. And there were lots of them.
*midfielders - who, as commentators said, were "smashing" them in the clearances - and promptly giving the ball back.

Sedat
17-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Thought Minson's performance was well deserving of a slap. Was one of the few players who worked hard in both directions and his ruck work was again very good. Hahn's workrate, if not his skill execution, was also substantially up on previous output so far this season.

The team's collective defensive intensity was very poor, save for the 3rd quarter.

Special sledge to Gia. He would have to be one of the slowest players in the AFL under 190 cms. I saw him make a lead in the 3rd qtr and was a full 2 metres in front of his direct opponent, the pass was lace out, yet his defender comfortably beat him to the ball. He looked like his legs were stuck in treacle. Sledge also to Harbrow's tackling coach - any chance he can make one tackle stick. At least his workrate was very high and he did try and provide some much needed run and carry out of the back half.

In defence of the team, we played a man short for 85% of the game, and Melbourne play a very hard running, high posession game plan that relies on punishing running and high player rotations. We looked to be running on the spot in the last 15 minutes.

How we are playing in May is largely inconsequential - I'll take 5-3 any day of the week with 3 interstate road trips. Our judgement time will come in the last third of the season.

Jasper
17-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Thought Minson's performance was well deserving of a slap. Was one of the few players who worked hard in both directions and his ruck work was again very good. Hahn's workrate, if not his skill execution, was also substantially up on previous output so far this season.

I agree about Minson ruck work and I was close to sneaking him into a vote. The opnly thing that concerned me was that Paul Johnson had a decent impact on the game so I didn't think Hudson and Minson did enough to keep him in check.

Hahn's workrate was up on previous weeks but gee it needs to be. He's more of a junkyard dog at them moment and if his workrate isn't great he can quickly become a liability.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Hahn's workrate was up on previous weeks but gee it needs to be. He's more of a junkyard dog at them moment and if his workrate isn't great he can quickly become a liability.

Rocket said on 3AW before the game that Hahn got a cracked Rip from the second game. This may also be why he is not up and going.

Should we play guys like this?

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Picken has been very good, but Aaron Davey burn't him today.

All yesterday I questioned what he brings to the side when you saw his man dominating. Not sure a prue tagger like Picken gives us anything else.
In a comparision last year Callan hurt Davey and had bugger all influence.

Topdog
17-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Gia had 6 score assists and 2 clangers in his 28 touches. Suggest some of you guys watch the game again and see the influence he had on it.

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 11:00 AM
* Robbo - for diving twice, to get in the ump's good books...and to think, we made a pitch for him to join us. Which leads me to -

The late third quarter free goal to Robbo was a clearly a free as Hahn pushed Dunn out. Not sure why the free went to Robertson.

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Gia had 6 score assists and 2 clangers in his 28 touches. Suggest some of you guys watch the game again and see the influence he had on it.

I didn't think he was bad either, he set up a couple of goals and got a bit of the ball. I think he may of been burnt for pace a few times. Who was his direct opponent?

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2009, 11:06 AM

The team's collective defensive intensity was very poor, save for the 3rd quarter.

Special sledge to Gia. He would have to be one of the slowest players in the AFL under 190 cms. I saw him make a lead in the 3rd qtr and was a full 2 metres in front of his direct opponent, the pass was lace out, yet his defender comfortably beat him to the ball. He looked like his legs were stuck in treacle. Sledge also to Harbrow's tackling coach - any chance he can make one tackle stick. At least his workrate was very high and he did try and provide some much needed run and carry out of the back half.

In defence of the team, we played a man short for 85% of the game, and Melbourne play a very hard running, high posession game plan that relies on punishing running and high player rotations. We looked to be running on the spot in the last 15 minutes.

How we are playing in May is largely inconsequential - I'll take 5-3 any day of the week with 3 interstate road trips. Our judgement time will come in the last third of the season.

Perceptive, well balanced assessment, as opposed to the majority of 'supporters' who:
1) underestimate the difficulties and challenges players face in each contest, so are overly critical;
2) overestimate their own ability to perceive what's happening out there; even our ability to perceive distance of one player to another is often compromised by our view from behind the fence; players can seem stupid when they're not.

Slap: Tom Williams played well yesterday, covering his opponents well. He has a rare ability for a player of his height to stick on his man despite having an opponent that is skilled in leading, making postion and taking a grab. He is fast, athletic and has telescopic reach. He is playing well within himself because he and the rest of the team know he can be a liability at this early stage of his career in his second code, when he has the ball. He is at this stage a very good spoiler but a developing all round player, with a huge potential to develop when given full rein to back himself. I am an optimist and I felt similarly about Griffen's potential which he hasn't achieved, but both, I believe have great potential and Williams is at least already a good spoiling CHB capable of playing on even the most talented of CHFs.
Slap: Ackermanis (do not retire, an all time great)/Hudson/Minson/Boyd (great hands, sensational work ethic)/Welsh/Johnno/Eagleton/Harbrow/the team for getting 4 pts, despite Murph's early exit.
Sledge: Hill went walkabout (but I forgive you, you're a kid)/'Supporters' who just knock, whinge and moan loudly (these people are very undeveloped individuals who really are just expressing their life's frustrations and angst, but can't they just shut up and not inflict it on those around them? I moved positions three times yesterday because of these moaners)

angelopetraglia
17-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Can't believe all the attacks on Gia. He was surely not our worst by any measure yesterday. He was so important in a number of goals, his creative disposal in many instances got us back into the game.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 11:43 AM
All yesterday I questioned what he brings to the side when you saw his man dominating. Not sure a prue tagger like Picken gives us anything else.

Davey is a far, far better player this year. He was gone from an under achieving small forward to one of the most dangerous runners in the league.

Picken has warranted his spot but as I said after his first game, I would be wary to have him in stoppage/clearance situations up against guns who win their own ball. He is a decent outside tag and his job should be purely to play against dangerous outside players bar Judd and Ablett jobs with Boyd's assistance.

Dancin' Douggy
17-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I'll be brief.

Slaps.
At least we won.
Aker. Aker and Aker.
Dale Morris.

Sledges.

RYAN GRIFFEN.
Will someone please tell him he is an out and out Thoroughbred born to be a champion.
Born to dominate at the highest level.
Born to have brownlows and best and fairests dripping off him like baubles on a christmas tree.
He needs a huge rocket.
He should be owning games. He's just cruising.

Josh Hill.
Similar sentiments. Has the ability to be a deadly dangerous livewire Forward.
Strong in the air. Quick and silky on the ground but seems happy to just drift around.
He plays like he's not one of the 'real' players. And is allowed to just watch most of the time and then drift in if there's a chance to play a spectacular cameo role.
Another player we should be getting more out of.

Harbrow.
Yes I like his run and carry. I like his sense of urgency and there's a feeling that when he gets the ball something gonna happen.
BUT JARROD YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRY AND BAULK EVERY PLAYER ON THE FIELD.
Too often he keeps the ball until he runs into trouble and gives it up.

Aker.
He was just outstanding yesterday but missing those set shots was still something he should be pulled up on. He won the game for us, yes, but he also nearly lost it for us as well.

Those frees to Robertson.
Worse still is that he deliberately played for them and got rewarded.
Pull that kind of crap in suburban footy and it wouldn't be long before someone knocked your block off.
BOO!

The Pie Man
17-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Slaps

Williams....I don't get the sledges here, he was very solid curbing Miller's influence on the game. Big slap from me, I really just don't get the neg review of him on this thread.

Aka - of course...will wait and see what the late season form is like, but if it remains up we will miss him bad next year should he retire

Welsh - for a second game back this year he was quite good, very important once Murph went down.

Boyd - just wanted it, tackle on McLean at the last centre bounce was indicative of his desire.

I won't give Gia a slap, but he was better yesterday, not worthy of a sledge for mine.

Sledge

Umpiring at times, even the Boyd free in the last quarter, that got worse every time I looked at the big screen replay....karma for Robertson but gee it hurt the Dees

Harbrow kicking out of defence without looking up...not a sledge on his game as a whole, but that bit of play cost us a goal on the turnover (2nd quarter) and ideally he would've shown a little more poise.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-05-2009, 07:03 PM
I'll be brief.

Harbrow.
Yes I like his run and carry. I like his sense of urgency and there's a feeling that when he gets the ball something gonna happen.
BUT JARROD YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRY AND BAULK EVERY PLAYER ON THE FIELD.
Too often he keeps the ball until he runs into trouble and gives it up.

BOO!

The worst thing about Harbrow's baulk is that he runs one direction all the team forward of the ball start moving that direction too, then he quickly changes direction and all upfield players are immediately out of position to take the ball. Even worse is when he changes direction several times in a short passage of play. His teammates have no idea where he is going to kick it.
Having said that, his disposal effectiveness was above the team average against the Dees, he was at 80% effectiveness.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Can't believe all the attacks on Gia. He was surely not our worst by any measure yesterday. He was so important in a number of goals, his creative disposal in many instances got us back into the game.

Totally agree, everyone knows he is no speedster, that can't be held against him. However his strength is his ability to use the ball well going inside 50, something that several of our so called better players are currently not doing well. Guido's play was important in setting up several foray's into our fifty, and in such a close game that was vital.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I find a few of the sledges harsh, especially those on Harbrow.

Sure he has a lot to learn but shouldn't we be happy to have a player trying to take opponents on and break lines? He is exactly the type of player we need to beat zones which are strangling us at the moment. I had him as one of our best.

I think Gia criticism comes from a lot of fans really overrating how good a player he is/can be. He can run hard, he is clever and has decent hands but outside of that he is a pretty limited player. He is seen as a leader at the club which means fans expect more from him. I think the inside comments about how good a leader he is ends up hurting how a lot of our fans rate him. He is a good foot solider imo, nothing more, nothing less.

I had Gilbee as one of our bests. Again I think he takes risks with his disposal but he has to. He makes silly errors and his foot is far more clever than his brain but I was really happy with his work rate yesterday.

I was most pleased with Welsh. He really helped our forward structure and will somewhat ease the loss of Bobby.

Overall we were ordinary but we won and are 3rd. All due respect to an ever improving Melbourne side but assuming we win, I don't place too much value in games against sides who won't make the finals. Games against Swans and Port in the next month will be interesting.

always right
17-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I see the usual targets are attracting attention again.

How about getting someone in your sights who seems to escape criticism most weeks. Brian Lake is like Jekyll and Hyde. His game yesterday was a disgrace.

It has reached the stage that whenever he gets the ball I get nervous. The longer he holds onto it the bigger the brain fart. When is this bloke going to provide consistent performances without stuffing things up? He was owned yesterday by a pure bred ranga for gods sake.

Jasper
17-05-2009, 08:00 PM

i couldn't agree more, people on here pot him every week regardless of his preformance, He started slowly but his second half was great.

Just wondering when acid will be put on Griffen, I think he could be one of the best players in the comp but he is just not doing enough. He goes missing far to often and I think we need to start questioning his work rate. He is the player that ripped apart Ablett and I am expecting so much more

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Well thats something Picken will have to work on if he has a real furure at the top level at this role, you see taggers like Cornes, Ling & Sewell and they can hurt their direct opponent the opposite way, we saw Picken pretty much own Brent Harvey [who has always cut us to shreads], McLeod also, both ball winners & both very quick.

One common theme throughout successful teams, is that they usually carry a hard tagger type to try & keep out their most dangerous midfield opponent, can we afford to just use Boyd as that player? As since Picken has been in the side, Boyd has arguably been our best player thus far this season, again yesterday, very very good, Picken whilst beaten yesterday, also has been very good and most times, got the job done.

AndrewP6
17-05-2009, 08:12 PM
The late third quarter free goal to Robbo was a clearly a free as Hahn pushed Dunn out. Not sure why the free went to Robertson.

Exactly... stupid whistleblowers can't even determine who's supposed to get a kick...so they gift one to the bloke who falls over...

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Exactly... stupid whistleblowers can't even determine who's supposed to get a kick...so they gift one to the bloke who falls over...

A bit like Minson when Lake [fell over] against Richmond last year? Should have been Cam Wights kick....OH DEAR..:eek:

AndrewP6
17-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Rocket said on 3AW before the game that Hahn got a cracked Rip from the second game. This may also be why he is not up and going.

Only thing I can think of is that the blokes at Willy aren't getting the job done to the coaches' satisfaction... so they leave in some injured ones...better the devil you know..

AndrewP6
17-05-2009, 08:15 PM
A bit like Minson when Lake [fell over] against Richmond last year? Should have been Cam Wights kick....OH DEAR..:eek:

yep, that's right... see, I'm happy to admit their stupidity, even when it benefits us:)

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 08:20 PM

I must say i don't like hearing this, a cracked rib, if thats the case, and i have had a cracked rib, he DEFINATLY should not have been playing, and his few games before the Adelaide game proved that, as brave as you are, you just can't function at 100%, i would much rather a player in good form in Willy come up and take his spot, a 60% Hahn is not going to be a difference between winning & losing games!

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I must say i don't like hearing this, a cracked rib, if thats the case, and i have had a cracked rib, he DEFINATLY should not have been playing, and his few games before the Adelaide game proved that, as brave as you are, you just can't function at 100%, i would much rather a player in good form in Willy come up and take his spot, a 60% Hahn is not going to be a difference between winning & losing games!

Yep and I really don't think he is the type of player who has a big margin for error due to the weaknesses in his game. We really need to look after Mitch because atm he looks 27 going on 35.

Born & Bred
17-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Gia needs to pull his finger out. Everyone knows he can play but sitting out on the wings and flanks getting the easy kicks doesn't mean you deserve to take home a pay cheque. It is definitely time for him to put up or shut up seeing that he expected to be the next captain of the red, white and blue.

Mantis
17-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I see the usual targets are attracting attention again.

How about getting someone in your sights who seems to escape criticism most weeks. Brian Lake is like Jekyll and Hyde. His game yesterday was a disgrace.

It has reached the stage that whenever he gets the ball I get nervous. The longer he holds onto it the bigger the brain fart. When is this bloke going to provide consistent performances without stuffing things up? He was owned yesterday by a pure bred ranga for gods sake.

In fairness (maybe not) Lake had no comfortable match up yesterday (no big & dumb forward to leech off)

Perhaps it's an indictment that Brian can really pick up just one type of player?

azabob
17-05-2009, 10:10 PM
In fairness (maybe not) Lake had no comfortable match up yesterday (no big & dumb forward to leech off)

Perhaps it's an indictment that Brian can really pick up just one type of player?

Which again raises the point why wouldn't they start him in our goal square and leave him there for the entire game?

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Which again raises the point why wouldn't they start him in our goal square and leave him there for the entire game?

Yeah I definitely think we should think hard about it, especially with Tiller being a decent, competitive tall defensive option.

Sockeye Salmon
18-05-2009, 12:04 AM

I commented to Ernie Sigley at the game when Lake was forward his lead consisted of half a dozen short steps at a jog and holding one hand in the air.

Happy Days
18-05-2009, 12:11 AM

Because he isn't very good at it.

Seriously, we all need to remember he won a b&f and just missed out on an AA jumper by playing full back. If he doesn't have an obvious matchup, then play him as a loose man in that "quarterback" (sorry to call it that) role. He's creative, quick, and skillful enough.

It's no good having him forward if he's not going to do anything down there. If anything he's a liability and is bad for our particular structure as a forward.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I commented to Ernie Sigley at the game when Lake was forward his lead consisted of half a dozen short steps at a jog and holding one hand in the air.
He thinks he can take a mark above his head every time. Lakey, its not the backline where you have Morris, Hargreave and co who help him by shepherding out the forwards!

Go_Dogs
18-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Slap: Tom Williams played well yesterday, covering his opponents well. He has a rare ability for a player of his height to stick on his man despite having an opponent that is skilled in leading, making postion and taking a grab. He is fast, athletic and has telescopic reach. He is playing well within himself because he and the rest of the team know he can be a liability at this early stage of his career in his second code, when he has the ball. He is at this stage a very good spoiler but a developing all round player, with a huge potential to develop when given full rein to back himself. I am an optimist and I felt similarly about Griffen's potential which he hasn't achieved, but both, I believe have great potential and Williams is at least already a good spoiling CHB capable of playing on even the most talented of CHFs.

Good to read this, last weekend I thought Tom was very ordinary, and well stitched up by the smart leading player. He has all the physical attributes, and for me, the one question mark has been his ability to read the play, flight of the ball and play more instinctive footy.

It's just great that he's on the park getting some serious game time into him. He's so important for our structure, and if he continues to improve his 'football brain' he's going to be a very good player.

BulldogBelle
18-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Agree

Hopefully when Lakey is down there Welsh, Johno, Higgins and maybe Grant etc will do the leading

Lakey and Minson being moreso the pack mark options if Lakey is sent down there

If the guy isnt practicing goal kicking during the week, and hasnt been taught how to call, lead and mark on a lead, then Rocket shouldnt be sending him down there.

Ozza
18-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I find the attacks on Brad Johnson the most alarming on this thread. People have pretty short memories if they are saying he is gone - he was close to being our best player vs Adelaide.

The reactions towards some of our players - after we have won the game - are pretty ridiculous. At the moment in footy - anyone can beat anyone - and teams can't be 'up' every week - particularly after a lot of travel - and a few injuries and changes to the line-up unsettling things.

Pretty standard that Gia is attacked. I wouldn't have thought we would have lost many times when he has had over 25 possies though.

azabob
18-05-2009, 01:12 PM

Fair enough. But surely that can be sorted out? Out of interest what do you think Eade should do with the forward line?

Mofra
18-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Pretty standard that Gia is attacked. I wouldn't have thought we would have lost many times when he has had over 25 possies though.
True. It's sad that now that Eagle has hit some form the fans have turned their attention to another perennial scapegoat.

ledge
18-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Griffen i had a good look at and he certainly has a sore leg, at one stage he wandered into the forward line like he needed a crutch his limp looked that bad.
I know he does favour one leg naturally but this certainly didnt look right.
A corked thigh wasnt it last week?

Gia my only question is his hard ball gets, great with the ball but i just dont notice him at the bottom of packs or breaking a tackle.

Eagle has been great this year and i do think he is one of our most consistant, he is an outside runner but he can tackle and chase.

Josh Hill just needs an evil eye off Rodney occasionally.

Harborw? yeah i got frustrated with him at times but he also runs and will take on a player, one too many at times but lets face it if you get through you break the game wide open, he also did that a couple of times, maybe comes off 50-50 but because he does it in the backline the mistakes are 2 fold.

Our team is looking okay and i can see the way Eade is going, once it clicks life will be good, just be patient, its going to be a repeat of last year in reverse, where we get better and dont fall away at the business end.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 02:09 PM
True. It's sad that now that Eagle has hit some form the fans have turned their attention to another perennial scapegoat.

Gia's an obvious scapegoat because most of his strengths aren't flashy -- finding space, providing an outlet, controlling the pace of the game, making the ball do the work, bringing other players into the game -- and your average AFL fan doesn't really know how to watch or appreciate the tactical side of things yet (thus the booing when a team switches back to go across the ground, or changes the pace and slow things down when they are trying to arrest the other team's momentum).

In soccer, Gia would be seen as a gem of a midfielder who controls games and brings out the best in others. AFL fans prefer the guys who run around like headless chooks picking up multiple possessions by giving off cheap one-twos and outrunning their opponents and smashing into packs even though they often aren't of any real benefit (apart from those who know how to do it, like Archer and Judd and Carey).

Coaches know how to appreciate a player like Gia though, which is why he is rated so highly inside the kennel.

ps. players like Gia are actually crucial to busting zones because they know how to find and work in limited space (thus the criticism of him 'hanging on the wing', and his disposal, while simple, is often really, really effective -- go back and watch our win against Hawthorn last year and see who it is who is usually providing the last or second last pass into the forward 50. These guys can read space like a book, but there are no stats for footy smarts.

Mofra
18-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Gia's an obvious scapegoat because most of his strengths aren't flashy -- finding space, providing an outlet, controlling the pace of the game, making the ball do the work, bringing other players into the game -- and your average AFL fan doesn't really know how to watch or appreciate the tactical side of things yet (thus the booing when a team switches back to go across the ground, or changes the pace and slow things down when they are trying to arrest the other team's momentum).
Spot on Lantern. I really rate his disposal in close - it's hard to see unless you specifically watch his movement, but he does work very well as an inside midfielder. I guess the initial perception of him being soft in his first season or two has tainted the view of some, but that tends to be the case for every player & club.
Gibbs will always be called soft because of one incident with Milne, regardless of what he does for the rest of his career.

Mofra
18-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Our team is looking okay and i can see the way Eade is going, once it clicks life will be good, just be patient, its going to be a repeat of last year in reverse, where we get better and dont fall away at the business end.
I get that sense too. We wont know until after the break, but I dare say the entire pre-season is geared towards the final 7+ games in the lead up to finals football.

Ozza
18-05-2009, 03:21 PM

In soccer, Gia would be seen as a gem of a midfielder who controls games and brings out the best in others. AFL fans prefer the guys who run around like headless chooks picking up multiple possessions by giving off cheap one-twos and outrunning their opponents and smashing into packs even though they often aren't of any real benefit (apart from those who know how to do it, like Archer and Judd and Carey).

Coaches know how to appreciate a player like Gia though, which is why he is rated so highly inside the kennel.

ps. players like Gia are actually crucial to busting zones because they know how to find and work in limited space (thus the criticism of him 'hanging on the wing', and his disposal, while simple, is often really, really effective -- go back and watch our win against Hawthorn last year and see who it is who is usually providing the last or second last pass into the forward 50. These guys can read space like a book, but there are no stats for footy smarts.

Great post. Spot on the mark.

Topdog
18-05-2009, 06:03 PM
AFL fans prefer the guys who run around like headless chooks picking up multiple possessions by giving off cheap one-twos and outrunning their opponents and smashing into packs even though they often aren't of any real benefit (apart from those who know how to do it, like Archer and Judd and Carey).

I'd probably get slammed for this on other sites but you have just described Pendlebury brilliantly. He is honestly the most useless possession getting in the game IMO.

I saw him handball twice in 10 seconds yesterday for a net gain of -1 metre and his team mate being under pressure. Not only were the 2 handballs completely useless he actually had a free kick at the time and still decided to handball uselessly.

Sedat
18-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I'd probably get slammed for this on other sites but you have just described Pendlebury brilliantly. He is honestly the most useless possession getting in the game IMO.

I saw him handball twice in 10 seconds yesterday for a net gain of -1 metre and his team mate being under pressure. Not only were the 2 handballs completely useless he actually had a free kick at the time and still decided to handball uselessly.
Brett Deledio is also heading down this path - Super Coach footy is what my mates and I call it. Some players manage to look very stylish passing the ball 15 metres to a free but stationery target for no net gain to the team. Or beter still the give and get via handball before dishing of the inconsequential lateral 15 metre kick to the stationery target.

Forgot to mention it previously, but I thought the Eagle was worthy of a slap on Saturday. Ran very hard both ways and actually put himself between the ball and the opposition on a couple of occasions.

Go_Dogs
18-05-2009, 06:35 PM

I think you're a little harsh on Pendlebury there. He's usually very good with his hands and his decision making in traffic.

Deledio is also a pretty good player. He might not be playing a good role at the moment, but he's playing in a crap team and being used in roles where he probably isn't as effective. If he played in our team right now, I guarantee we'd all be singing his praises. Good overhead, good ball use, decision making, speed.

Only problem for him is Foley is out for form and Richmond have no other decent midfielders, so he cops the #1 tag most weeks.

Sockeye Salmon
18-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Right on the money.

Kick it! KICK IT!! KICK IT!!!

Why did he kick it to 3 of them? He's hopeless!

Sedat
18-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Deledio is also a pretty good player. He might not be playing a good role at the moment, but he's playing in a crap team and being used in roles where he probably isn't as effective. If he played in our team right now, I guarantee we'd all be singing his praises. Good overhead, good ball use, decision making, speed.

Only problem for him is Foley is out for form and Richmond have no other decent midfielders, so he cops the #1 tag most weeks.
I reckon Deledio is a super player in the making but he has definitely developed some bad habits. Virtually every possession he collects is uncontested - that's all well and good if you're Andrew Lovett and you run 30 metres and distribute it by foot to a target 50 metres upfield. But Deledio is accumulating the ball in space and distributing it without any genuine impact. At least Pendlebury moves well in traffic and makes the opposition player come at him before dishing off - Deledio rarely even gets himself into congested areas lately.

Dazza
18-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I though Harbrow was really good yesterday... Did he look bad on Tv or something? Thought he played a good role for us and hit the target by foot very well.

Born & Bred
18-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Why did Gia run into open goal in the last quarter and dribble it off the side of his foot instead of kicking through the ball on either his right or left foot for a goal/behind? In addition, the bulldogs beat Hawthorn 12 months ago. Last year was good but we all want this year to be great.

Topdog
19-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Why did Gia run into open goal in the last quarter and dribble it off the side of his foot instead of kicking through the ball on either his right or left foot for a goal/behind? In addition, the bulldogs beat Hawthorn 12 months ago. Last year was good but we all want this year to be great.

That is a very stupid habit that a lot of players in the AFL seem to be picking up and Gia is no exception. For the life of me I can't understand why players do this.

Topdog
19-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I think you're a little harsh on Pendlebury there. He's usually very good with his hands and his decision making in traffic.

He is good with his hands but I would very very much question his decision making in general. He demands the ball in wrong spots and often tries short stupid kicks which are of no benefit and generally aren't marked by his teammate. I'm not saying he isn't a good player but he is definitely one of the players that Lantern has described. I have the misfortune of having to watch the Pies every week and it pains me to see as he could be so much better. He is still 5x better than Daisy though.