PDA

View Full Version : Move DFA Forward?

bulldogtragic
17-05-2009, 03:01 PM
You think about the traditional small forward and pressure.

We were thinking Lynch, Lindsay Thomas, Davis, Jetta, Davey initially, Varcoe.

What about DFA.

Great pressure and closing speed. Tackles well and spolis well with courage. Really puts on the pressure. Marks above his head.

In 2009 - 3 shots at goal, score: 3 goals, no behinds. His field kicking can sometimes be questionable, takes that element out a little. Makes Hahn a little more accountable.

Then move a playmaker down back Gia, Ward, bring in Stack? Hahn back to crash their forwards? Or Eagle and get him to play a role like he did against Adelaide?

Just a thought?

mjp
17-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Not a bad idea - can see it working for 20 minutes or so to set a 'tone' - not sure DFA is classy enough to do it long term though. Forwards have to be able to create their 'own shots' to be long term options - I just dont think he has the class to do that consistently.

Worth a try at the start of this weeks games vs Geelong though...he certainly would not let his direct opponent get easy handball receives through the midfield.

Sockeye Salmon
17-05-2009, 08:09 PM
DFA is not in the same sstratisphere as the others you mentioned with regards to pace.

It could mean we could play Mitch Hahn somewhere else, like Williamstown.

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 08:22 PM
It could mean we could play Mitch Hahn somewhere else, like Williamstown.

OUCH!

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I actually wouldn't mind seeing us develop Addison into a very tough run with midfield type, his inside pressure is as good as anyones in the team.

Mofra
17-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I think longer term Harbrow would be a better defensive forward option, he probably needs a little more work on his tackling (size more than anything else) but his concentration and effort are certainly good enough already.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I think a better option would be to bring in someone with forward goalsense and rate them on their ability to provide defensive pressure as opposed to how many goals they have kicked. Two such players are Stack and Lynch (who by all reports) has not shown much. The other option is to play Ward forward as he has played underage there and is a good mark for his size.

azabob
18-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I think a better option would be to bring in someone with forward goalsense and rate them on their ability to provide defensive pressure as opposed to how many goals they have kicked. Two such players are Stack and Lynch (who by all reports) has not shown much. The other option is to play Ward forward as he has played underage there and is a good mark for his size.

Totally agree, we don't have a goal sneak. We have countless medium sized forwards. Could a goal sneak function in our medium forward line? Would enough opportunities present itself for that type of player to work? As in we don't really bomb the ball in, we more look for the precision pass.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Totally agree, we don't have a goal sneak. We have countless medium sized forwards. Could a goal sneak function in our medium forward line? Would enough opportunities present itself for that type of player to work? As in we don't really bomb the ball in, we more look for the precision pass.
When Wil plays forward we do bomb it in form time to time. With the amount of pressure Geelong will put on our midfield, we will have no other option but to bomb it in long.
No disrespect to Wil, however you can be assured there will be crumbs as Wil does not take too many contested marks in the forward line.

1eyedog
18-05-2009, 10:28 AM
You think about the traditional small forward and pressure.

We were thinking Lynch, Lindsay Thomas, Davis, Jetta, Davey initially, Varcoe.

What about DFA.

Great pressure and closing speed. Tackles well and spolis well with courage. Really puts on the pressure. Marks above his head.

In 2009 - 3 shots at goal, score: 3 goals, no behinds. His field kicking can sometimes be questionable, takes that element out a little. Makes Hahn a little more accountable.

Then move a playmaker down back Gia, Ward, bring in Stack? Hahn back to crash their forwards? Or Eagle and get him to play a role like he did against Adelaide?

Just a thought?

Doesn't do this well enough IMO nut your other points warrant consideration. We certainly need more F50 pressure now that Hahn is off the boil. I remember watching the St.Kilda game and DFA drop some sitters above his head, hate to think this could happen 20m out from goal.

BulldogBelle
18-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Addison could be developed in the same mould as a Paul Kelly type tough midfielder

Think Harbrow, Johno and Aker will need to be at Minson's feet this week crumbing whereever possible

craigsahibee
18-05-2009, 01:15 PM

I miss Matty Robbins.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I miss Matty Robbins.not a goalsneak more of a lead type like Welsh & Johnno. I miss Bamblett! :D

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 01:54 PM

We don't have a goalsneak? If Aker is not the premier AFL goalsneak of the last ten years I'm watching a different game.

Oh, you mean someone like Milne who does nothing except sit in front of packs and kick easy goals. The lairy glory-hogs that go missing in big games. No thanks.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 02:10 PM
We don't have a goalsneak? If Aker is not the premier AFL goalsneak of the last ten years I'm watching a different game.

Oh, you mean someone like Milne who does nothing except sit in front of packs and kick easy goals. The lairy glory-hogs that go missing in big games. No thanks.
I would agree with you about Milne up until this year. He has actually improved his defensive game immensely and not as focussed on kicking all the goals. one of the many reasons St Kilda are playing well.

azabob
18-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Hmmm I re read my post and couldn't see where I put the name Milne in? Oh thats right I didnt. From what I've seen this year Miline's defensive pressure has increased ten fold

I was actually thinking more of a Rioli type or Aaron Davey in his first year rather than Akermanis who still gets a lot of his goals from leading and marking. Akermanis wouldn't get many holding the ball decision in his favour either or pressuring the opposition into rushed kicks.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 02:18 PM
I would agree with you about Miline up until this year. He has actually improved his defensive game immensely and not as focussed on kicking all the goals. one of the many reasons St Kilda are playing well.

I said in big games. There are no big games in the first 8 weeks of a season (unless you're Richmond), and it's easy to do the hard yards when your team is winning easily. Let's see that defensive effort when the team is struggling in the heat of the battle, or up against a really good opponent closer to or in the finals, before giving Milney the benefit of the doubt that he's really changed his style. Consistency isn't really his strong suit.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Hmmm I re read my post and couldn't see where I put the name Milne in? Oh thats right I didnt. From what I've seen this year Miline's defensive pressure has increased ten fold

I was actually thinking more of a Rioli type or Aaron Davey in his first year rather than Akermanis who still gets a lot of his goals from leading and marking. Akermanis wouldn't get many holding the ball decision in his favour either or pressuring the opposition into rushed kicks.

There's a reason that Rioli and Davey have both moved into the midfield - elite goalsneaks are also top line ball users that are too valuable to leave sitting in the forward 50 once their tanks are developed.

I would argue that any of Gia, Aker, Cooney, Johnno, Murphy or Gilbee would be elite level goalsneaks if they just spent all their time sitting in front of packs, but they are too valuable elsewhere. Sneider, Medhurst etc. who were all elite goalsneaks early in their careers have developed into more all-rounded players as well.

The only two classic goalsneaks of recent times who never grew beyond that role are Farmer and Milne, and it is not a compliment to them.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I said in big games. There are no big games in the first 8 weeks of a season (unless you're Richmond), and it's easy to do the hard yards when your team is winning easily. Let's see that defensive effort when the team is struggling in the heat of the battle, or up against a really good opponent closer to or in the finals, before giving Milney the benefit of the doubt that he's really changed his style. Consistency isn't really his strong suit.
"Oh a bit like Eagleton in big games", I get your point.

ledge
18-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Sorry but i cant see how Aker doesnt rate as one of the best goalsneaks going around.
He can pick pocket from the best, we just dont have that forward who puts the ball to ground for him to snatch it.
That is our problem.
I want to see the old guard forward where if the player with the ball has to bomb it he aims to the top of the square and we have a Johnathon Brown waiting.
In fact it doesnt have to be a great forward, Minson can do it, we just dont seem to have him sit in the square waiting for the troubled kick but leading and leaving no one in the square except defenders.

azabob
18-05-2009, 02:46 PM
There's a reason that Rioli and Davey have both moved into the midfield - elite goalsneaks are also top line ball users that are too valuable to leave sitting in the forward 50 once their tanks are developed.

I would argue that any of Gia, Aker, Cooney, Johnno, Murphy or Gilbee would be elite level goalsneaks if they just spent all their time sitting in front of packs, but they are too valuable elsewhere. Sneider, Medhurst etc. who were all elite goalsneaks early in their careers have developed into more all-rounded players as well.

The only two classic goalsneaks of recent times who never grew beyond that role are Farmer and Milne, and it is not a compliment to them.

Yeah fair point. I guess I dont see Aker in that role as such cause we dont have a tall target, so he has to get his own ball.

azabob
18-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry but i cant see how Aker doesnt rate as one of the best goalsneaks going around.
He can pick pocket from the best, we just dont have that forward who puts the ball to ground for him to snatch it.
That is our problem.
I want to see the old guard forward where if the player with the ball has to bomb it he aims to the top of the square and we have a Johnathon Brown waiting.
In fact it doesnt have to be a great forward, Minson can do it, we just dont seem to have him sit in the square waiting for the troubled kick but leading and leaving no one in the square except defenders.

Good point.

1eyedog
18-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Tom Williams needs to be tried forward. He was good against Miller on Saturday but I reckon we should put him forward for three games and leave him there. Lake, Shaggy, Morris and Everitt will have to do the best the can back there.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Tom Williams needs to be tried forward. He was good against Miller on Saturday but I reckon we should put him forward for three games and leave him there. Lake, Shaggy, Morris and Everitt will have to do the best the can back there.

You beat me to it. If Mooney is rubbed out, every more reason to bring in Tiller to play back and Williams to play CHF and keep him there for 3 weeks

ledge
18-05-2009, 03:55 PM
You beat me to it. If Mooney is rubbed out, every more reason to bring in Tiller to play back and Williams to play CHF and keep him there for 3 weeks

Why not Tiller at CHF, he was drafted as being a forward.

bornadog
18-05-2009, 04:28 PM

Tom is still learning the game and needs to spend a few seasons in the back line to learn how to read the play and understand AFL, then he can be moved forward.

1eyedog
18-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Yep Mooney is out

1eyedog
18-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Tom is still learning the game and needs to spend a few seasons in the back line to learn how to read the play and understand AFL, then he can be moved forward.

As usual Bornadog your post is on the mark, but given our lack of targets in the F50 is it not worth a try? Grant played up there 2 weeks ago so experience doesn't come down to it. Harry Taylor would be a good match up for us on Tom.

BulldogBelle
18-05-2009, 10:15 PM
If Tommy plays up forward he is going to be a predictable target....(for the opposition)

Maybe a pack mark for the whole game if we are lucky, maybe he might get a free or two resulting in a goal if we are lucky

He isnt our forward saviour and probably wont be for a few years if ever

Its crazy, but it just might work

Desipura
19-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Why not Tiller at CHF, he was drafted as being a forward.
I think his best position is full forward which Welsh is currently occupying.