PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year for 2009 - Tigers v Port

bulldogtragic
17-05-2009, 04:50 PM
What a game. Simply amazing. Port by a couple of points.

More to the point what's better, Richmond being flogged or loising when it looks like they have the game won?

Amazing game.

Happy Days
17-05-2009, 04:53 PM
How good has Tredrea been so far this year? I had a line through him long before this season, thought he was gawwwwwn.

Sockeye Salmon
17-05-2009, 07:52 PM
It's almost getting to the stage where we need Richmond to win a few to take the priority pick out of the equation.

mighty_west
17-05-2009, 07:55 PM
It's almost getting to the stage where we need Richmond to win a few to take the priority pick out of the equation.

I was actually [can't believe im saying this] hoping Richmond would get up, with Port sniffing around the top 4, and the comp being so close, we'll probably need a little luck here & there going our way to secure a top 4 position at the end of the season.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 01:11 AM

That's okay, they'll take Richard Tambling over Buddy.

BulldogBelle
18-05-2009, 01:17 AM
What a game. Simply amazing. Port by a couple of points.

Yes, it was an excellent game - Treadrea was awesome I enjoy watching him and Chadwick play.

azabob
18-05-2009, 01:24 PM
That's okay, they'll take Richard Tambling over Buddy.

As opposed to us taking Griffen over Franklin.

In reality has Griffen done anymore than Tambling?
Griffen has shown more than Tambling but still Griffen has been disapointing at not being able to take the next step.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Griffen has shown more than Tambling but still Griffen has been disapointing at not being able to take the next step.

No contest: Griffen has shown much, much more than Tambling, and has been an integral part of a team that has played in four finals games and a preliminary final. I don't think there's even any question that Griff has accomplished more than Tambling -- he's a victim of high expectations, but he's definitely done a lot in his few years with the Dogs, despite very difficult personal circumstances.

And while it's safe to say Tambling will not figure in any such discussion, Griff still has plenty of opportunity to end up the more decorated player of he and Franklin.. the next three years will tell the tale.

Can't believe you're even equating Ryan Griffen, an integral part of a top-three midfield, to Richard Tambling!

Sedat
18-05-2009, 02:04 PM
No contest: Griffen has shown much, much more than Tambling, and has been an integral part of a team that has played in four finals games and a preliminary final. I don't think there's even any question that Griff has accomplished more than Tambling -- he's a victim of high expectations, but he's definitely done a lot in his few years with the Dogs, despite very difficult personal circumstances.

And while it's safe to say Tambling will not figure in any such discussion, Griff still has plenty of opportunity to end up the more decorated player of he and Franklin.. the next three years will tell the tale.

Can't believe you're even equating Ryan Griffen, an integral part of a top-three midfield, to Richard Tambling!
Griffen has arguably achieved more than Deledio in his career to date, let alone Tambling. He has an elite record at the pointy end of the season, finals, that is every bit as good as even Franklin and Roughead - Griff has been our BOG in 3 out of the 5 finals he's played in.

The Griffen criticsm has surprised me this year. His inside game has improved dramatically year on year (largely without Cooney's assistance) and I would venture to say that he has significantly increased his contested possession output in 2009 as well. He lacks the engine to be able to run back the other way to help out defensively (this will come), but I would rather he was influencing key moments in key areas of the ground rather than racking up pretty little kicks around the corner off half back. Deledio is fast become the new Joel Bowden of the competition (not a compliment). I will take low 20's in the heat of battle in the middle every day of the week as opposed to mid 30's off half back with only 1-2 contested possessions a week.

Even with Cooney, he struggled badly with a hard tag only 2 years ago, but his workrate is such these days that he managed 26 possessions against a hard negative tag from Bartram on Saturday and was an influential player on the outcome of the game - yet his efforts went largely ignored by the media scribes and the general public.

Our midfield is developing a harder edge before our eyes, something we have been crying our for since the days of the wog squad. We just need to get the balance right and get the defensive work and the offensive run and carry up to the currently levels of Geelong and St Kilda.

Twodogs
18-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Do you think that Hawthorn have been happy with Buddy's output this year? One year doesnt make a champion...

azabob
18-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Tambling has improved quite a bit this year. I didn't say Tambling was better than Griffen, I was just pointing out that we also chose to ignore Franklin. If we drafted Franklin could've he kicked 100 goals for us? Could have it been Johnson holding the priemership cup last year?
Also I will say it's easier to play well when you team is going well.

azabob
18-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Do you think that Hawthorn have been happy with Buddy's output this year? One year doesnt make a champion...

Are you happy with Griffens year so far?
Franklin has still kicked 27 goals and 15 behinds this year. He is leading the goal kicking so he must be doing ok.
Franklin has more runs on the board than Griffen.

Twodogs
18-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Are you happy with Griffens year so far?
Franklin has still kicked 27 goals and 15 behinds this year. He is leading the goal kicking so he must be doing ok.
Franklin has more runs on the board than Griffen.

Fair point but doesnt that mean we should wait until the end of their careers before we can rate them? A lot can change in ten years.

Ozza
18-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Back on topic - It was an amazing game - I couldn't take my eyes off it all afternoon - and found myself barracking for the Tigers (not hard to barrack againts Port scumbags).

Tredrea was amazing, but Nahas was incredible up forward, and Cotchin is going to be a very special player.