PDA

View Full Version : Player behaviour, 4 Corners and the NRL/AFL/ARU/ACB

mjp
17-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Here is my chance to reveal myself to be a complete reactionary.

Given everything that has happened (fundamentally within the NRL, but with issues in the other major codes) I would like to see a new code of behavior put in place. The first item is for NRL clubs only:

- If there is another Brett Stewart/Carmichael Hunt style incident anytime within the next 12-months, the entire competition is immediately abandoned to be restarted at the beginning of the next season. No exceptions. The entire league is shut down.

Enough is enough.

Ongoing rules all players abide by:

- Immediate 12-month ban for any player involved in an incident where allegations of assault lead to a formal police investigation.
- Immediate 12-month ban for any player found guilty of an alcohol related incident.
- Immediate lifetime ban for any player found guilty of assault charges of any kind.

The first of these items is the hardest - but reading the articles in the various papers today about the incident with the Broncos players last year and knowing that they will not be charged and are still playing...it just doesn't seem right.

Like I said, I know I am being a complete reactionary, but I am sick of reading this stuff in the press and maybe the idea of missing out on a years salary is enough to get everyone to pull their collective heads in.

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 06:47 PM
If a player earns 300k a year he should get 220-250k. At the end of the year if he has been a good boy he gets the remainder.

If he stuff's up but deserves a second chance, his 'bail' should be increased.

Mofra
17-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Do we limit this to football codes alone? The military have a similar problem that is far less profiled due to the nature of where the acts occur (ie most are oputside of major population centres) and the fact that soldiers/sailers & airmen aren't high profile stars.

I support the NRL's approach - Sydney FC player basically banned for the season for bringing the code into disrepute.

I agree with your sentiments though - it seems that many players get no more than a slap on the wrist for poor behaviour.

mjp
17-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Football codes? No - I chucked the ACB in there as well. As for the military (and the various police forces which I know also have had issues), yes - I would like them to implement similar rules, but I am not really sure how we would ever know (lack of reporting) that an infraction had occurred?

Dogs 24/7
17-05-2009, 07:50 PM

- Immediate 12-month ban for any player involved in an incident where allegations of assault lead to a formal police investigation.
- Immediate 12-month ban for any player found guilty of an alcohol related incident.
- Immediate lifetime ban for any player found guilty of assault charges of any kind.

Are these just a bit to harsh?
I'm sick of reading about all the fools and they way the clubs seem to protect them but the first one seems to get away from the presumption of innocence until proven guilty and the second one needs further clarity. Being drunk isn't a crime but performing a anti social act whilst drunk is no excuse either and should be dealt with strongly.

Sockeye Salmon
17-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Gary Ablett raped me. Sometime before Friday night.

So did Matthew Scarlett, and Joel Selwood. And Jimmy Bartel*.

I see some potential here for people using this for their own advantage.

* Not Aker but. I agreed to that one.

Scraggers
17-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Enough is enough.

The first of these items is the hardest - but reading the articles in the various papers today about the incident with the Broncos players last year and knowing that they will not be charged and are still playing...it just doesn't seem right.

I agree MJP ... Enough is enough ... BUT

If you are inverstigated by the Police and found to be innocent there should be no sanctions ...

Too many times false allegations are made against sports stars (NOT every time ... sometimes these 'models of society' do stuff up royally) ... but a lot of the allegations are found to be without substance

I don't mind a player being stood down whilst an investigation takes place, but if the charges are found to be false OR there is a lack of evidence, I'm sorry, they have the right to resume their careers; the same as any other member of our society.

In Bock's case, he was suspended indefinitely by the Crows ... he should still be suspended. THe case is still open, he could still be found guilty ...

Whereas Matthew Johns was investigated, seventy people were interviewed by Police and no charges were laid ... therefore his stupidity should cost him his marraige (at the very least sleeping on the couch for a year) but NOT his job.

comrade
17-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Gary Ablett raped me. Sometime before Friday night.

So did Matthew Scarlett, and Joel Selwood. And Jimmy Bartel*.

I see some potential here for people using this for their own advantage.

* Not Aker but. I agreed to that one.

They've been doing it to teams for the last 2 years and the AFL has just swept it under the carpet. Shame! :D

Good call on Aker too.

Scorlibo
17-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Football players shouldn't be punished anymore than normal people imo. The media frenzy that takes place everytime there's a little hint of someone doing something wrong is ridiculous and if anyone should be punished it's them. In cases such as Matthew Johns', consentual group sex is LEGAL people. Any issues that have arisen from it for his family is his business!

mjp
17-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Too many times false allegations are made against sports stars (NOT every time ... sometimes these 'models of society' do stuff up royally) ... but a lot of the allegations are found to be without substance

Really. Like what allegations are found to be without substance. In the case of the Bronco's last year, no charges have been laid and the case is closed. Not sure you could say the claims are 'without substance' though.

As for the case in Adelaide, basically I dont think he should be playing.

My perspective on this is simply that too many players simply DONT GET IT. They are given every support under the sun, specific and targeted education programs, yet Alan Didak is in a car from which gun-shots are fired, Ben Johnson is belting some bloke in a Port Melbourne car-park and Brett Stewart is alleged to have done goodness knows what with...well - everyone knows the story.

Let's use a BIG STICK and threaten them with their livelihoods...I am over it.

alwaysadog
18-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Really. Like what allegations are found to be without substance. In the case of the Bronco's last year, no charges have been laid and the case is closed. Not sure you could say the claims are 'without substance' though.

As for the case in Adelaide, basically I dont think he should be playing.

My perspective on this is simply that too many players simply DONT GET IT. They are given every support under the sun, specific and targeted education programs, yet Alan Didak is in a car from which gun-shots are fired, Ben Johnson is belting some bloke in a Port Melbourne car-park and Brett Stewart is alleged to have done goodness knows what with...well - everyone knows the story.

Let's use a BIG STICK and threaten them with their livelihoods...I am over it.

Not going to happen though. It doesn't fit the Alice in Wonderland perspective that Andrew promotes. They needed extreme pushing to make the Weagles face their issues and couldn't back down on the proposed sanctions quickly enough. Much as it's needed this is just too big for their please explain mentality. Crisis management and hoping it will go away are their stock in trade.