PDA

View Full Version : Round 9 Opposition Player Profile - Joel Selwood

aker39
18-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Joel Selwood

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2008/06/15/Joel_Selwood_(350_x_513).jpg

DOB 26/05/88
182cm
86kg
53 games
14 goals

Has there ever been a better 1st 53 games in the history of the game. I would say no, and the statistics would back it up.

Second-youngest player in VFL/AFL history to win a premiership (19 years, 126 days)
Only player in VFL/AFL history to win the AFL Rising Star Award and play in an AFL premiership within the same year
First Geelong player to win the AFL Rising Star Award
Most free kicks ever received in a single season by a player (63 free kicks - a few soft one included in there;))
Most tackles ever in a season by a first year player (92 tackles)
Highest winning percentage record of any player in VFL/AFL history (92 per cent) [52]

His individual honours include

Michael Tuck Medal: 2009
AFL Rising Star Award: 2007
AFLPA Best First Year Player: 2007
Geelong F.C. Best First Year Player: 2007
Victorian Team representative honours in AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match: 2008

Brett Kirk had this to say about Joel:-

He's the type of player I look at from afar and say, 'I'd love to be in the trenches with him'. I love how hard he is at the footy, how humble he is ... He can play inside or outside and can use the footy ... He's going to go down as one of the greats of the last 10 years. With (James) Hird, (Mark) Ricciuto, (Nathan) Buckley and those sort of guys ... (He's in the) same mould as (Michael) Voss

Selwood's all-around ability to contribute as an attacking inside or outside midfielder has been highlighted by his regular ranking among the top five at Geelong for total disposals, clearances, first possessions, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, tackles, inside 50s, and score assists during his first 3 seasons at the club.

I think he is the most courageous player I have seen in a long time. He has absolutely no fear. I was at the G a couple of weeks ago watching the Cats play the Dees and he ran 20 metres with the flight at the ball, and not once flinched. He's a vid of it.

rTEeBkLbXic

So enough of the tributes, how do we stop him.

The cats have great players all over the field, but Selwood is the one that seems to be able to get the ball from the bottom of the pack, as well as making space and linking up with Ablett and the other Geelong onballers.

Do we put a player on him whose role is just to stop him getting the ball, ie Picken, or do we put a player on him who is able to get some of his own ball, ie Boyd.

Over to you for discussion.

The Coon Dog
18-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Good choice A39. I guess it was like a Melbourne Cup field choosing a Geelong player to profile.

I'm not sure Selwood is the type of player that you can effectively tag. He's very much an in & under player & will be all over the contested ball in the middle of the field. A tagger is more than likely going to infringe if Selwood is going for the ball & the umpires seem to notice it with him.

I'd prefer to go Boyd head to head & see if he can be hurt going the other way.

bornadog
18-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Great write up and good choice.

This one maybe a job for Picken, both tough players. Picken may not be experienced enough to tag some of the other Geelong midfield players, like the Abletts, Enrights, Bartels etc, but a Sellwood may just suit him.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Joel Selwood

Has there ever been a better 1st 53 games in the history of the game. I would so no, and the statistics would back it up.

One H Bunton won the Brownlow Medal in his first season and another in his second!!!

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Have we ever won a Rising Star Award and if so who was it?

Mofra
18-05-2009, 03:50 PM
One H Bunton won the Brownlow Medal in his first season and another in his second!!!
What, no NAB Rising star?

Hack.

bornadog
18-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Have we ever won a Rising Star Award and if so who was it?

Rhys Palmer
Fremantle Dockers

Joel Selwood
Geelong Cats

Danyle Pearce
Port Adelaide Power

Brett Deledio
Richmond Tigers

Jared Rivers
Melbourne Demons

Sam Mitchell
Hawthorn Hawks

Nick Riewoldt
St Kilda Saints

Justin Koschitzke
St Kilda Saints

Paul Hasleby
Fremantle Dockers

Adam Goodes
Sydney Swans

Byron Pickett
North Melbourne Kangaroos

Michael Wilson
Port Adelaide Power

Ben Cousins
West Coast Eagles

Nick Holland
Hawthorn Hawks

Christopher Scott
Brisbane Lions

Nathan Buckley
Brisbane Lions

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Looking through that list, the Rising Star is a much better indicator of future form than say Brownlow votes, or draft order, isn't it? Not many duds on that list.

Ps. can't believe Selwood lasted till pick 6.

Pps. I see a lot of Selwood in Callan Ward. Hope he comes good similarly.

Go_Dogs
18-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Good choice A39. I guess it was like a Melbourne Cup field choosing a Geelong player to profile.

I'm not sure Selwood is the type of player that you can effectively tag. He's very much an in & under player & will be all over the contested ball in the middle of the field. A tagger is more than likely going to infringe if Selwood is going for the ball & the umpires seem to notice it with him.

I'd prefer to go Boyd head to head & see if he can be hurt going the other way.

Yes, agreed. I mentioned in another thread that Darcy made this comment during the Geelong v North game on the weekend.

Not sure if Boyd has enough hurt factor going the other way, but his attack on the contest and body will be good enough to rival Selwood.

boydogs
18-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, agreed. I mentioned in another thread that Darcy made this comment during the Geelong v North game on the weekend.

Not sure if Boyd has enough hurt factor going the other way, but his attack on the contest and body will be good enough to rival Selwood.

Agreed, not sure you could get a Cooney/Griffen and Selwood match up though to expose him for pace defensively

azabob
18-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Rhys Palmer
Fremantle Dockers

Joel Selwood
Geelong Cats

Danyle Pearce
Port Adelaide Power

Brett Deledio
Richmond Tigers

Jared Rivers
Melbourne Demons

Sam Mitchell
Hawthorn Hawks

Nick Riewoldt
St Kilda Saints

Justin Koschitzke
St Kilda Saints

Paul Hasleby
Fremantle Dockers

Adam Goodes
Sydney Swans

Byron Pickett
North Melbourne Kangaroos

Michael Wilson
Port Adelaide Power

Ben Cousins
West Coast Eagles

Nick Holland
Hawthorn Hawks

Christopher Scott
Brisbane Lions

Nathan Buckley
Brisbane Lions

What I find most suprising about that list is no Chris Judd.
Also talk about having all the luck, the Saints when they are down they draft two very good KP players. One a match winner week in week out, and the other a very very handy 2nd forward.

Mofra
19-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Also talk about having all the luck, the Saints when they are down they draft two very good KP players. One a match winner week in week out, and the other a very very handy 2nd forward.
We had that option in our year. Williams is still looking like he will be important to our structure, and Griffen could be anything.

In any case, if we had drafted Riewoldt & Kosi, we would have turned them into defenders (or perhaps a Kosi purely a ruckman) just as we've done with almost every other KPP we've drafted in the last 10 years.