PDA

View Full Version : Clash Jumpers The AFL have lost the plot

bornadog
18-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I know some forum members love our clash jumper (TCD;)) and its all personal preference, but after watching a few games on the week end, I think the AFL has lost the plot, or the clubs have.

Dawks - The normal jumper is rubbish but their clash jumper on Friday night is almost worse.

Saints - Why the hell are they wearing a clash jumper and so were their opponents? The Saints clash is almost the worst jumper, other than the North one they have worn this year? The Saints traditional jumper is great and it did not clash with Essendon? And as for Essendon, what the hell were they wearing?

I just don't understand why we have to have all this white in a clash jumper, it is so unimaginative. The doggies jumper on its own is not too bad, but with the shorts, it just looks horrible and insipid

Why can't clubs do the same as in the EPL where teams like Arsenal, Man U etc completely change their away jumper and even have different colours.

I think we need to re look and be a bit bold and design something without so much white as do all teams.

What happens against Geelong? Do we wear an away jumper or home jumper?

The Coon Dog
18-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't disagree with too much of that bornadog.

There are times when a clash jumper is being worn when not required, though I did think St.Kilda should have worn theirs against Essendon.

There are other occasions when a clash jumper isn't being worn when it should. A few weeks ago on a Friday night Port Adelaide hosted St.Kilda & when the camera went for a wide shot, all there was was a mishmash of black & white.

Tradition is something dear to us all, but the AFL's weak stance on this issue, particularly where Collingwood are concerned is disappointing.

I think its time clubs used other colours as you say bornadog, for example, we could wear a predominately red jumper this week.

The Pie Man
18-05-2009, 04:38 PM
The Essendon / St Klida situation was amusingly farcical. No need for both teams to wear a clash jumper.

I actually like the St Kilda clash jumper this year, much better than last years effort. But again, why Essendon wore theirs is beyond me.

The AFL miss the pretty easy way out of this one, which is even more confusing when they get it right for the finals, which is teams with a white background should wear white shorts where there's a possiblity of a clash. I don't get why North clash with Collingwood - if Collingwood wear their home top and black shorts, North wear white shorts, it's not a clash. While the Argentina style top maybe increases the contrast, why is it all light blue on the back? Should be white.

Where they thought Geelong clashed with Collingwood was all fixed with the Cats wearing white shorts (as they did against us in the prelim last year) Collingwood would be advised to wear their white background clash strip each and every time they Carlton - they should wear it against us, Freo, Richmond, Essendon, Brisbane, Port, WCE & Hawthorn as well. It's what they wore all through the 70's & 80's

I don't particulalry like ours, but I'm all for us wearing a white background jumper - it achieves it's goal of creatng contrast and then some. I'd hate to think we have to wear that on GF day should we make it though. P.ss the dog face off from the front of both our jumpers and I'll be happy.

The Coon Dog
18-05-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd hate to think we have to wear that on GF day should we make it though.

I'd be happy to see us in black & white stripes if it meant we made a Grand Final! ;)

The Pie Man
18-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I'd be happy to see us in black & white stripes if it meant we made a Grand Final! ;)

Ahh yeah fair point :)

Speaking of Black & White stripes, I reckon Port got ripped off. Why can't they wear their old jumper for games not against Collingwood (or when away against another dark top side like Carlton) When the EPL can have West Brom & Newcastle as black & white, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal & Boro as red, and we actually have clash strips for these types of situations, why can't Port wear the old prison bar gear?

Sedat
18-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I like the concept of clash strips, but the clubs have not taken this in the right spirit. A clash strip is not supposed to be some bastardised version of the original strip - our club has taken the issue in the right manner and have developed an entirely appropriate clash strip.

ledge
18-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I love the white one.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I just don't understand why we have to have all this white in a clash jumper, it is so unimaginative. The doggies jumper on its own is not too bad, but with the shorts, it just looks horrible and insipid.

The club love their white clash strip, quite popular at Whitten Oval & also sells well. They can apply to the AFL I think to wear it up to 5-6 games per year something like that.

mighty_west
18-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Was a bit of a joke really, having both teams [Essendon & Saints] wearing clash strips, defeats the purpose of a clash strip.

Not too sure it was a problem back in the 60's & 70's [black & white TV] when the Roo's & Pies played, but rules are rules, if Collingwood are too pig headed to play by the rules, they should pay North at least a Million $$$ every season if they want to make North wear the clash strip each game they play, let's see what Collingwood do then.

BUT, i think our clash jumper is by far the best, some of the others we played in [not clash strips] like the Orange Ochre Origin & that 1996 shocker, very ordinary.

mighty_west
18-05-2009, 05:36 PM
What happens against Geelong? Do we wear an away jumper or home jumper?

I would have thought that either way, with Geelong being the blue & white hoops, neither of our jumpers clash, in which case we should wear the normal jumper.

It's a clash strip, not an away strip!

chef
18-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I love the white one.

I do too. For me, being mainly a TV viewer it is better to watch and enjoy.

bornadog
18-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I would have thought that either way, with Geelong being the blue & white hoops, neither of our jumpers clash, in which case we should wear the normal jumper.

It's a clash strip, not an away strip!

I didn't think we clashed with Melbourne, but wore the white strip?

ledge
18-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I do have one queston on our clash strip, are our socks woollen or what because they make us look a lot bigger in the lower leg.

aker39
18-05-2009, 05:59 PM

In past years I have thought that we clashed with Melbourne's strip.

The Coon Dog
18-05-2009, 06:04 PM

A39, as an umpire, did you ever have any difficulty with jumper clashes?

mighty_west
18-05-2009, 06:36 PM

I would have thought that Melbourne's jumper was closest to ours having the red & blue, but saying that, we don't clash with any team IMO including Melbourne.

Maybe they should just scrap the "clash" and use the word "away", that way Collingwood have no choice.

Cyberdoggie
18-05-2009, 06:50 PM

I don't like the sound of that :confused:

I also agree the clash jumper issue is a joke. It's all about marketing and always was.
How do we sell more $120 jumpers that cost $5 to make to kids.

bornadog
18-05-2009, 06:55 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/118331.jpg
;)

GVGjr
18-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I just don't understand why we have to have all this white in a clash jumper, it is so unimaginative. The doggies jumper on its own is not too bad, but with the shorts, it just looks horrible and insipid

It's a weak jumper and we should be able to come up with a far better design.

The Adelaide Connection
18-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Ahh yeah fair point :)

Speaking of Black & White stripes, I reckon Port got ripped off. Why can't they wear their old jumper for games not against Collingwood (or when away against another dark top side like Carlton) When the EPL can have West Brom & Newcastle as black & white, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal & Boro as red, and we actually have clash strips for these types of situations, why can't Port wear the old prison bar gear?

They allowed Adelaide to come into the competition wearing Red, Blue and Yellow and Fitzroy didn't seem to mind too much (or didn't have the Collingwood muscle to do anything about it). I know they are different shades of those colours but the principle is the same.

Collingwood are like a school bully with a powerful family, concessions that don't apply for others seem to for them. The AFL seem too scared to act. The fact that Collingwood have to give permission for Port to use their Black and White stripes in the heritage games is ridiculous and their pressure has actually continually blocked them from doing so. Eddie "allowed" them to wear it on one occasion and he was quoted as saying it will be a one off.

AndrewP6
18-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Some interesting views .... here are mine -

I think the AFL has to grow a spine and TELL Collingwood what to do, not vice versa. Otherwise Eddie Everywhere is running the league. The Pies ought to have two DIFFERENT guernseys.Make the Pies go along with the same rules as every other team.

I think rather than "clash" jumpers, we should refer to them as "home" and "away" jumpers. Traditional colours for home, white (or contrasting single colour) for away teams.
I think our white uniform looks good. Certainly better than the Lions, Port Power, and Hawks efforts.

I think blue and blue -eg- Demons and Dogs- does clash... regardless of the shade of blue involved.

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Firstly the Essendon jumper should not qualify as a clash top. Widening the sash on the normal top is BS. The AFL should have thrown it back at them. I don't see any problem with Essendon wearing a reverse jumper of red with a black sash.
As for Collingwood, I think they have deliberately morphed thier normal tops to look more like Port Adelaides. They never had black backs and should be made to go to the white backs. Then if they want a clash top , I don't see anything wrong with full black top with a white magpie emblem.

Its not difficult but 2 clubs in particular are precious over not just colours but designs.

Sockeye Salmon
18-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I am a massive fan of clash jumpers, especially ours.

For those of us who are getting on a bit and our eyes aren't too good they're a godsend. Melbourne, Freo, West Coast especially.

I think clash jumpers should be used in nearly every game - and every club should have to have one.

Basketball have the right idea, one team dark, one team light (white).

LostDoggy
18-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I am a massive fan of clash jumpers, especially ours.

For those of us who are getting on a bit and our eyes aren't too good they're a godsend. Melbourne, Freo, West Coast especially.

I think clash jumpers should be used in nearly every game - and every club should have to have one.

Basketball have the right idea, one team dark, one team light (white).

Maybe it's time to get rid of that old black-and-white TV and get one of the newfangled cathode-ray-coloured ones eh SS. The p'cture on the new TVs looks a bit like them cutting-edge Yankee "Technicolor" films, if you were wonderin'...

ps. Collingwood will still be in black and white though.

azabob
18-05-2009, 11:20 PM

Maybe, but we also came up with doggie, doggie, doggie, Woof, Woof, Woof. So the bar isn't set very high.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe, but we also came up with doggie, doggie, doggie, Woof, Woof, Woof. So the bar isn't set very high.

I cringe every time I hear that.

azabob
18-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I cringe every time I hear that.

I was so conflicted at games, I wanted us to kick a goal, but I didnt cause I knew what would follow.
What was worse we paid someone to come up with it.

aker39
19-05-2009, 12:44 PM

It's objective is to be different from the original jumper, but keep the red white and blue.

I think it does that with the majority of white. I don't see how it's weak.

We have done what all clubs should be made to do, create something that does not clash with opposition clubs.

As SS said, basketball has got it right, one light, one dark.

Remi Moses
19-05-2009, 03:30 PM
This has to be the biggest side tracking,much ado about nothing concept of our sport. Personally I couldn't give a toss what we wear,clubs use this issue with misguided calls of traditional colors blah blah. It's good enough for the biggest sporting organisations to have away strips surely to christ it isn't to much for little old Collingwood to wear one!

DOG GOD
19-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Surely the easiest and fairest way would be to have ALL away teams wear a white guernsey with their emblem on the front.

craigsahibee
19-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Personally, I love our clash jumper and probably more importantly, my daughter loves it. If you get the kids on board you're on the right track.

The AFL has to grow some balls and force clubs like Collingwood and Essendon to come up with alternate strips. Essendon's clash jumper is ridiculous.

It is widely accepted that the clash jumpers provide an additional revenue source to clubs (providing they actually look good like ours). If I was an Essendon suppoter (and thank christ I'm not) why would I invest in a clash jumper when it's only slightly different from their original, which by the way look shite as they are now just a skivvy with the sleeves removed. The adidas designed jumpers may have technological advances, but the necklines look crap.

I agree with Bornadog and can't understand why clubs do not look at designs featuring colours other than the traditional club colours.

Cyberdoggie
19-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Personally, I love our clash jumper and probably more importantly, my daughter loves it. If you get the kids on board you're on the right track.

The AFL has to grow some balls and force clubs like Collingwood and Essendon to come up with alternate strips. Essendon's clash jumper is ridiculous.

It is widely accepted that the clash jumpers provide an additional revenue source to clubs (providing they actually look good like ours). If I was an Essendon suppoter (and thank christ I'm not) why would I invest in a clash jumper when it's only slightly different from their original, which by the way look shite as they are now just a skivvy with the sleeves removed. The adidas designed jumpers may have technological advances, but the necklines look crap.

I agree with Bornadog and can't understand why clubs do not look at designs featuring colours other than the traditional club colours.

There wouldn't be an issue if Collingwood actually wore their correct traditional jumper. White background with black stripes like the vfl side wears. Unfortunately the adidas version of it is rubbish but if they wore that version then they would only clash with North.

Cyberdoggie
19-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not a huge fan of clash jumpers, our version is pretty good compared to others, however i think it looks ordinary in all white and when the players wear their socks down.

The socks design is good and when a player wears them up like big Will then it looks a bit more professional, however when they don't they just look like they are wearing their grandpa's undies.

I'd like to see a club enforce the socks up rule!

they used to make us do it in juniors. They also used to make us tuck our jumpers in but i'm not a fan of that, especially with the loose fitting style of today.

ledge
19-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm not a huge fan of clash jumpers, our version is pretty good compared to others, however i think it looks ordinary in all white and when the players wear their socks down.

The socks design is good and when a player wears them up like big Will then it looks a bit more professional, however when they don't they just look like they are wearing their grandpa's undies.

they used to make us do it in juniors. They also used to make us tuck our jumpers in but i'm not a fan of that, especially with the loose fitting style of today.

I think Harbrow has borrowed some old ladies undies and doesnt bother wearing shorts.

Stefcep
19-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Anyone watch the North Melbourne Collingwood Grand Final in the 70's-on a black an white TV?

Happy Days
19-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Surely the easiest and fairest way would be to have ALL away teams wear a white guernsey with their emblem on the front.

And then everyone will have jumpers like that awful St. Kilda one...

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Doesn't work. North have a predominately white top. Collingwood and the Swans tops are predominately white on the front.

bornadog
19-05-2009, 11:53 PM
however when they don't they just look like they are wearing their grandpa's undies. .

Great Quote:D

LostDoggy
20-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone watch the North Melbourne Collingwood Grand Final in the 70's-on a black an white TV?

I tell you...

bornadog
23-07-2009, 12:06 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/other/AS_TredreaPTguernsey_news.jpg

You have most likely already read that this jumper was designed by a seven year old girl named Lucy Burford.

How can a 7 year old design such a great jumper and we have all these rubbish clash jumpers by 16 AFL teams.

The Pie Man
23-07-2009, 01:59 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/other/AS_TredreaPTguernsey_news.jpg

You have most likely already read that this jumper was designed by a seven year old girl named Lucy Burford.

How can a 7 year old design such a great jumper and we have all these rubbish clash jumpers by 16 AFL teams.

Take the Power badge off the gut and you could have their new home top - probably the best guernsey they've had, looks like a footy jumper......and they've had some real horror shows with their away tops (I actually liked the all teal one, more the white one with a bolt on it)

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Its a very good top.
Now get a 7yo to fix the tribunal/suspension system.

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 11:02 AM
From a supporter collecting signatures point of view I know a lot of people prefer the white top (to buy) cause you can see the signatures better. But that has nothing to do with playing of course!! :rolleyes:

Hey, this might sound like a really naive question (sorry for that!):o, but who make the decision when to wear which jumpers? :confused:

Ozza
23-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I love the clash strip. I think its terrific - it stays true to the regular strip design - and serves its purpose by being distinctively white.

Everyone I've spoken to (particularly of my age) loves the White Clash jumper.

I think its a beauty.

Sedat
23-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Its a very good top.
Now get a 7yo to fix the tribunal/suspension system.
And the priority pick issue - I'm sure a 7 year old, with their understanding of the basic fundamentals of mathematics, would realise that having two picks in the first five is more advantageous than having one :rolleyes:

Desipura
23-07-2009, 12:49 PM
lets be honest, its hardly original that design. I mean the "v" on the jumper has been worn for over 100 years. It just goes to show, sometimes its good to just keep things simple.

AndrewP6
23-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Take the Power badge off the gut and you could have their new home top - probably the best guernsey they've had, looks like a footy jumper......and they've had some real horror shows with their away tops (I actually liked the all teal one, more the white one with a bolt on it)

Agree this is probably the best Port jumper I've seen...though the V is a bit unusual...in footy terms, I always equate that with State of Origin Victorian teams (yes I know, it's not identical)... still endlessly amusing that a 7-year old did better than any of the geniuses employed to do the job so far!

mighty_west
23-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Agree this is probably the best Port jumper I've seen...though the V is a bit unusual...in footy terms, I always equate that with State of Origin Victorian teams (yes I know, it's not identical)... still endlessly amusing that a 7-year old did better than any of the geniuses employed to do the job so far!

Or South Melbourne..;)

AndrewP6
23-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Or South Melbourne..;)

Ah, yes, forgot about them!

bornadog
23-07-2009, 02:39 PM
We could have the same thing with a blue jumper and red and white V;)

The Coon Dog
23-07-2009, 02:42 PM
We could have the same thing with a blue jumper and red and white V;)
What about a white one with a blue & red V? :D

bornadog
23-07-2009, 02:46 PM
What about a white one with a blue & red V? :D

Like shooting fish in a barrell:D aaaarrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 02:48 PM

I did. Couldn't tell them apart, and in the end, neither could the scoreboard!

ledge
23-07-2009, 06:26 PM
I wonder if the 7 yo will get the wage a designer would have got, taking a year doing surveys, heat factor, colour co ordination, material, appearance and whether it made the players kick and mark the ball .00001% better.

LostDoggy
23-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Some one needs to tell Huddo about the socks....eveytime I see him - especially at the start of a game - he always seems to have one sock up and one sock down!
I was beginning to think it was a superstition for him :rolleyes:

craigsahibee
24-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I love the clash strip. I think its terrific - it stays true to the regular strip design - and serves its purpose by being distinctively white.

Everyone I've spoken to (particularly of my age) loves the White Clash jumper.

I think its a beauty.

I bought one just recently when the club had them on sale for $80.00.

It's the first Bulldogs Footy Jumper I've worn since I was 15. I'm 40 now and should probably be wearing a nice cable knit cardigan and a pair of comfortable slacks to the footy, but the attraction of our clash jumper was just too much for me.

I now have to co-ordinate my footy attire to alternate between footy jumper and BHBAS T-Shirt.

Ozza
24-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Some one needs to tell Huddo about the socks....eveytime I see him - especially at the start of a game - he always seems to have one sock up and one sock down!
I was beginning to think it was a superstition for him :rolleyes:

I think Huddo and Callan Ward both have the same one sock up, one sock down superstition.

Here's an obscure reference for you - Brad Nicholson (no.9 in the early-mid nineties) used to do the same thing - one up, one down always.

soupman
24-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I think Huddo and Callan Ward both have the same one sock up, one sock down superstition.

Here's an obscure reference for you - Brad Nicholson (no.9 in the early-mid nineties) used to do the same thing - one up, one down always.

I think Hudsopn would have both socks down, but the shin guard in one of them holds it up.

LostDoggy
24-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I think Hudsopn would have both socks down, but the shin guard in one of them holds it up.

It's the gravitational pull of the Beard.

Sedat
24-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Good to see that no matter how good the jumper is, Tredders still manages to make himself look like a complete knob.