PDA

View Full Version : Wallace, Richmond part ways

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Wallace, Richmond part ways

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25505197-19742,00.html

EXCLUSIVE: RICHMOND and its coach Terry Wallace may have parted ways after a series of meetings yesterday and last night. It is believed the players were upset about Wallace's post-match critique of the team after Sunday's loss to Port Adelaide.

Wallace did not return calls from the Herald Sun last night.

Players spoke to Wallace about the closed-doors address yesterday.

The veteran coach was not immediately available for comment, failing even to return calls from close friends last night and this morning.

Wallace has been under enormous pressure since an embarrassing loss to Carlton in Round 1, with Richmond languishing in 15th position with just one win.

Wallace did not arrive at the club's Punt Rd headquarters today by his usual time of 8.30am.

Richmond assistant coaches David King, Craig McRae, Wayne Campbell and Jade Rawlings arrived at Punt Rd this morning unaware any decision on the head coach had been made.

Wallace is in the fifth year of a five-year contract and was no chance to coach the team in 2010.

It is known that Wallace met with Richmond chief executive Steven Wright late last night.

Wallace only last week went on radio and declared he wanted to coach out the year.

In the same interview he said he would not put up a fight if the club decided to end his tenure early.
Richmond president Gary March, Wallace and Wallace's closet football friend, Brian Royal, were not answering their phones this morning.

The club is due to train at its Punt Rd home at 11am.

Ozza
19-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow. The Tiges were so spirited on Sunday. I'm shocked at the timing of this.

Cyberdoggie
19-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Ding Dong the witch ............

Only Judas to go and the curse will be lifted for the tiges!

:D

The Coon Dog
19-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Does the domino effect with other out of contract coaches start in earnest now?

Dancin' Douggy
19-05-2009, 10:28 AM
There's an old saying. "Be careful what you wish for".

We'll have to put up with that voice and mangled, convoluted, English in the media now.

Ozza
19-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Malthouse going in for contract negotiations, and Wallace getting the sack may not be entirely mutually exclusive.

The mail I've heard around is that Malthouse coaching Richmond next year is just about a done deal.

Scraggers
19-05-2009, 10:46 AM
The Hun is also saying that Brian Royal has been sacked as well

bulldogtragic
19-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Patty Bpwden
Jordan dropped
Wallace and Maybe Choco

Stealing our people hasn't really worked has it.

What goes around Terry. This playing group doesn;t think it can take you any further. And again, no send off game.

Karma.

The Coon Dog
19-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Wallace has not been sacked by Richmond!

He has survived & at 12pm today a meeting will announce Wallace will see out the season.

mighty_west
19-05-2009, 11:52 AM

He has survived & at 12pm today a meeting will announce Wallace will see out the season.

So the media get it wrong AGAIN?

bulldogtragic
19-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Even better, the place is in total and complete chaos.

30 years of Richmond at its peak.

What a mess, and they call themselves an AFL club. They're worse off than the guys that had the strippers. (Could make all sorts of all 'hard' jokes but wont).

A club in kaos more, i have never seen.

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd say the Herald sun is in chaos, not Richmond - what an unbelievable piece of crap journalism. Will there be an apology to Terry and the Tigers I wonder? Kind of the same thing for Pauline Hanson.

Pathetic.

ledge
19-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Royal wasnt sacked either, they got it all wrong!

Dancin' Douggy
19-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Man that is top quality, A grade Teflon.

The Pie Man
19-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I'd say the Herald sun is in chaos, not Richmond - what an unbelievable piece of crap journalism. Will there be an apology to Terry and the Tigers I wonder? Kind of the same thing for Pauline Hanson.

Pathetic.

This is a massive embarassment for Mark Robinson, real cred shredder

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I reckon I'll pass this little stuff up to Media Watch, let's see if they'll shed some light on how this whole thing got started.

azabob
19-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I reckon I'll pass this little stuff up to Media Watch, let's see if they'll shed some light on how this whole thing got started.

What is even funnier DexterT is that when it all happend Mark Robinson's name was all over it, now its gone to crap "staff writer" or Jay Clark with AAP are the jurno's on the story now.

Cyberdoggie
19-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Looks like the big media reporters were so keen to get the first scoop they might of jumped the gun.

Although i do think there is something fishy going on.

* Why was Terry at home watching videos instead of at training
* Why did the leadership group get pulled aside for a meeting without Terry during a regular training session? couldn't they wait till after training?
* Was there an issue with the post match address from Terry to the players?

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 04:05 PM
That's the thing "something fishy" does not translate to "Wallace Sacked".

Lazy and inaccurate Journalism.

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm with Cyberdoggie on this...much more to this than meets the eye!! Maybe the senior players have something to do with the change of heart?

Scraggers
19-05-2009, 04:47 PM
What is even funnier DexterT is that when it all happend Mark Robinson's name was all over it, now its gone to crap "staff writer" or Jay Clark with AAP are the jurno's on the story now.

Caroline Wilson was doing exactly the same at The Age ... I too think there is more to this than meets the eye

mighty_west
19-05-2009, 05:13 PM
That's the thing "something fishy" does not translate to "Wallace Sacked".

Lazy and inaccurate Journalism.

That is exactly right, we'll start calling the Hun The Truth soon, and you can tell from the way Caro tried to justify some of her stories that she pretty much goes on a hunch than a fact, just to get a story out there, if all the pieces seem to fit, then it MUST be true, so pretty much guessing.

azabob
19-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks like the big media reporters were so keen to get the first scoop they might of jumped the gun.

Although i do think there is something fishy going on.

* Why was Terry at home watching videos instead of at training
* Why did the leadership group get pulled aside for a meeting without Terry during a regular training session? couldn't they wait till after training?
* Was there an issue with the post match address from Terry to the players?

Its Tuesday so you get good deals on Tuesday, like 2 overnights and 3weekly's for $12. :D

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 07:18 PM
There is a lot more than meets the eye.
I believe he was asked to resign but because he will look a real goose walking out on another contract and Richmond won't pay him out, he won't walk.
Its also possibly too early in the season to start tanking, for a caretakerw coach its a poison chalace, win games and don't get good draft picks, lose games and dont get the job next year.
Is is possible the leadership group thought with all the over 30s at Richmond, a new coach would say 'out with you we are rebuilding', so I think the palyers are trying to save their skin first.

Could only happen at Richmond.

The Coon Dog
19-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Is is possible the leadership group thought with all the over 30s at Richmond, a new coach would say 'out with you we are rebuilding', so I think the players are trying to save their skin first

Good point you raise there Ernie.

Mantis
19-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Is is possible the leadership group thought with all the over 30s at Richmond, a new coach would say 'out with you we are rebuilding', so I think the palyers are trying to save their skin first.

The leadership group at Richmond is made up of:

Chris Newman (CAPT)
Nathan Foley (V.CAPT)
Brett Deledio & Kelvin Moore

I don't see too many over 30's in that group.

ledge
19-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Chris Newman (CAPT)
Nathan Foley (V.CAPT)

Well there is another problem you alert us to Mantis, as a leadership group you would think blokes with the experience of Richo and Browny a couple of over 30s would be a given for a leadership group.

But in saying that i heard a little birdy on the radio the other week say while the team was warming up, Browny and Richo went their own way to kick to kick to each other, wouldnt you think these blokes would be in with the young ones encouraging etc.

Probably points to another strange way of doing things at Richmond, that kind of thing would certainly fall on the coaches shoulders.

LostDoggy
19-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Chris Newman (CAPT)
Nathan Foley (V.CAPT)

Ok doesn't mean they were advised by Richo, Johnson, Simmonds, Brown ,Cousins and co. Nor does it mean they are happy for them to be let go.

Desipura
20-05-2009, 09:56 AM
There is a lot more than meets the eye.
I believe he was asked to resign but because he will look a real goose walking out on another contract and Richmond won't pay him out, he won't walk.
Its also possibly too early in the season to start tanking, for a caretakerw coach its a poison chalace, win games and don't get good draft picks, lose games and dont get the job next year.

I thought the Save our Skin campaign was in the 90s:D

azabob
20-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Ok doesn't mean they were advised by Richo, Johnson, Simmonds, Brown ,Cousins and co. Nor does it mean they are happy for them to be let go.

The players you mentioned ES were actually at the meeting with Gary March yesterday, apparently there were 15 odd players there. So yes your theory still maybe correct.

Dancin' Douggy
20-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I thought the Save our Skin campaign was in the 90s:D

It was and it worked.
Saved their skin but nothing else............
Like their heart for example.

Remi Moses
20-05-2009, 01:56 PM
The media are like awhite pointer with blood in it's nostrils. Very strange to have a meeting involving players when training is taking place,also this is only biding time for yet another board meeting in 4 weeks time. BTW Terry ordinary band aid recruiting has cost your career not Mitch Mortons errant foot.Big problem in our code when media types think they're the biggest celebrities in the game:mad::mad:

Scraggers
22-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Wallace retains sense of humour (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77393/default.aspx)

EVEN in the darkest times it's important to maintain your sense of humour.

You would think that Terry Wallace had been through enough come the middle of this week – reports abounded that he'd been sacked, then unsacked, then never sacked, then the players had revolted, then they hadn't.

And that was all by Tuesday lunchtime.

But it got worse for Wallace, who is just a few weeks away from clocking up 500 games as player and coach.

"I'll start on a lighter note, before we get going," he said at the start of his media conference at Punt Rd on Friday.

"How's your week going along when you're sitting there and you think everything that could have possibly happened has happened to you – a full day of work yesterday, and jump in the car last night, heading home.

"Got the full regalia of Richmond gear on – cap, tracksuit, the full lot – driving down the Eastern freeway, right in the middle of peak hour traffic, and I get a flat tyre.

"Six thousand cars passing by, and I don't know whether at this stage I'll actually get out and change it, so if there's some people around who saw this idiot driving along with a flat, just humping along on the side of the road until he got off at Bulleen Rd, they now know why.

"That's the sort of week it's been.

"So, anyway, fire away."

alwaysadog
25-05-2009, 10:48 PM
So the media get it wrong AGAIN?

It is not without some poignancy that I recall the saying, "Is it true, or did you read it in the Herald Sun?"

There was the infamous H-S banner headline which announced the Libs had won a Federal election that they lost.

While there are plenty of intelligent and ethical journos, for many others facts just get in the way of their determination to run the world in collusion with the paper's owners.