PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs with fresh injury woes ahead of Geelong game

NoseBleed
21-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Bulldogs with fresh injury woes ahead of Geelong game (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25514826-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens | May 21, 2009 12:00am
THE Western Bulldogs have suffered fresh injury blows in the the lead-up to tomorrow night's clash against Geelong.
Defenders Andrejs Everitt, Dylan Addison and Ryan Hargrave will definitely miss the preliminary final rematch at Etihad Stadium.

Everitt has a bruised foot and will miss one to two weeks, while Addison has not recovered from a minor knee injury suffered in the seven-point victory against Melbourne on Saturday.

The Dogs had been hopeful Hargrave, a late withdrawal against the Demons, would return from a thigh injury to confront the Cats.

But he could now be up to a fortnight away after further testing on the quadricep injury.

The losses come on top of the absence of star forward Robert Murphy, who will miss two weeks with a minor hamstring injury.

The Dogs are relieved that the damage is done to the sheath that surrounds the hamstring, not to the muscle.

Needing to make at least three changes, the Dogs have five players - Shaun Higgins, Callan Ward, Tim Callan, Stephen Tiller and potential first-gamer Brennan Stack - in the mix.

Higgins looks certain to return from an adductor problem, while former Cat Callan, who has not played at AFL level this season, seems an obvious addition to provide defensive reinforcement.

Stack, pick No. 45 in the 2006 draft, is an indigenous player who took significant steps during the pre-season after playing 17 VFL games last year.

Everitt, who has struggled to recapture the form of his debut 2007 season, had his foot stomped on against the Demons.

"It's just bruised. We thought it might have been a crack," Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said last night. "But he certainly can't play this week. We don't know about next week."

Eade said Addison had suffered a twisted knee, tweaking a medial ligament.

"He'll be one to two weeks away," Eade said.

Hargrave was a chance to return against the Swans in Canberra next week, but was still hampered by pain and could also miss next week.

The Coon Dog
21-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Pre season this board was awash with glowing praise about the strength of our depth. I guess it's going to be tested & against the best in the business.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeh....we've lost 2 tallish defenders in Everitt and Hargrave- and really only Tiller with some height to come in....here's his chance to cement a place as an all-important utility.
All those calls for the fast tracking of Boumann might just have some substance now...

Mantis
21-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Even with injuries the defence will set up something like:

B: Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HB: Callan, Williams, Tiller

I still think that looks ok.

Ozza
21-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Even with injuries the defence will set up something like:

B: Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HB: Callan, Williams, Tiller

I still think that looks ok.

The use of the ball is probably the issue with those back 6. All good defenders, but none would be in our best 15 users of the footy.

azabob
21-05-2009, 10:10 AM
The use of the ball is probably the issue with those back 6. All good defenders, but none would be in our best 15 users of the footy.

Good point, maybe we should push Gilbee back?

Mantis
21-05-2009, 10:15 AM

If Harbrow isn't in our best 15 users of the ball on present form I must be watching a different team in action, at present he would be in our best 5.

Mofra
21-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Morris' ball use seem to have improved out of sight in the last 12-18 months. I actually like having the ball in his hands. I don't understand the Harbrow cringe either, he often makes a bit of space with run before he disposes of the ball which means he invariably choose s a better option.

Williams has taken kick outs a few times this year so the players & staff must be pretty confident with his kicking as well.

Sedat
21-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Harbrow is very tidy by hand and foot, just occasionally the skill of his decision-making doesn't quite match the skill of his actual disposal.

I was pretty critical of his work down back earlier in the season (notably the half-arsed attempt to tackle Betts in the forward pocket) but I have been impressed with his improvement and especially his strong work-rate since then, in what is an unfamiliar role for him.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I really hope they play Stack.

It's a tough ask for a young guy to come in and play against Geelong, but there's no greater challenge and I think we've really got to try and blood him into our line-up this year if he's to make the grade.

Playing him for 3 weeks or so would be a great learning curve for him and perhaps will be what he needs.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I really hope they play Stack.

It's a tough ask for a young guy to come in and play against Geelong, but there's no greater challenge and I think we've really got to try and blood him into our line-up this year if he's to make the grade.

Playing him for 3 weeks or so would be a great learning curve for him and perhaps will be what he needs.

There's been a few 'play him for three weeks' suggestions going around with a few rookies recently hasn't there.

What is the consensus perception of the step between VFL and AFL? We all know of Streeta, but that's a specific example of the different roles of ruckmen between VFL and AFL level. What about in general? Is the fitness (preparation/preseason) and speed the main difference between the levels?

I think it's easier to judge forwards on VFL form, as they will have (theoretically) better service at a higher level, and the goals are the same size.. I seem to remember quite a few examples of forwards carrying their VFL goalscoring form into senior level. Question marks will remain over their overall fitness though.

Judging mids and defenders on VFL form are a lot more tricky because it's hard to get a relative picture of their opponents -- we all know of the guys who pick up 45 touches in the middle at VFL level and can't get near it in the seniors.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm still waiting for Stack to earn his place by playing a really good game at Willy. GVG and Comrade speak of him doing some nice things but I don't see any of - "he's ready or he deserves a promotion."

Some talk of him playing as a rebounding half-back. That pits him against either Chapman or Johnson. There is no way he can be up to that.

Irrespective of the position, there are light years between VFL and AFL. As much as I would like to see another promising player make his debut, the spot has to be earned.

Mantis
21-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm still waiting for Stack to earn his place by playing a really good game at Willy. GVG and Comrade speak of him doing some nice things but I don't see any of - "he's ready or he deserves a promotion."

Some talk of him playing as a rebounding half-back. That pits him against either Chapman or Johnson. There is no way he can be up to that.

Irrespective of the position, there are light years between VFL and AFL. As much as I would like to see another promising player make his debut, the spot has to be earned.

He could perhaps pick up Varcoe or even Rooke.

Personally from what I have seen Stack isn't the type of player who will completely domainate a VFL game, he just doesn't strike me as that type of player. What he can offer are a set of unique skills that could make him a very valuable player.

Sockeye Salmon
21-05-2009, 03:58 PM
There's been a few 'play him for three weeks' suggestions going around with a few rookies recently hasn't there.

What is the consensus perception of the step between VFL and AFL? We all know of Streeta, but that's a specific example of the different roles of ruckmen between VFL and AFL level. What about in general? Is the fitness (preparation/preseason) and speed the main difference between the levels?

I think it's easier to judge forwards on VFL form, as they will have (theoretically) better service at a higher level, and the goals are the same size.. I seem to remember quite a few examples of forwards carrying their VFL goalscoring form into senior level. Question marks will remain over their overall fitness though.

Judging mids and defenders on VFL form are a lot more tricky because it's hard to get a relative picture of their opponents -- we all know of the guys who pick up 45 touches in the middle at VFL level and can't get near it in the seniors.

Ben Harrison got dropped and picked up 47 possesions.

The gulf between VFL & AFL is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

KT31
21-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Yeh....we've lost 2 tallish defenders in Everitt and Hargrave- and really only Tiller with some height to come in....here's his chance to cement a place as an all-important utility.
All those calls for the fast tracking of Boumann might just have some substance now...

Isn't this why Skipper is still on the list ?