PDA

View Full Version : Lions fume at Aker

Mantis
21-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Fall out from yesterdays article....

Lions fume at Aker (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25515108-19742,00.html)

Three years after they sacked him in similar fashion, the Brisbane Lions last night proved they still don't know how to take Jason Akermanis. The Lions called an extraordinary press conference to complain about comments he made in yesterday's Herald Sun.

In what was seen by many as a precious exercise, the Lions called the conference, which had minimal attendance, to have a crack at Akermanis for taking "pot shots" at members of their club.

The conference was announced in an email sent to media in which the Lions could not even bring themselves to refer to Akermanis by name. Instead they said they wanted to respond to comments made by a "current Western Bulldogs player".

Earlier, the club had contacted the Bulldogs to register their anger formally, an action believed to have been received with raised eyebrows, even near-disbelief.

Akermanis, who will play his 300th AFL game tomorrow, would not comment last night on the development.

In yesterday's Herald Sun, he made observations of former teammates Justin Leppitsch, Michael Voss and Chris Scott.

He also said Lions chairman Tony Kelly had a "man crush" on Voss, who is in his first year as Brisbane coach.

Voss and Lions chief executive Michael Bowers said last night Akermanis's views were a "pack of lies".

Leppitsch, on whom Akermanis heaped most criticism, is now an assistant to Voss, but chose not to speak at the press conference.

Kelly complained to Bulldogs counterpart David Smorgon yesterday, while Bowers contacted Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose to voice his disgust.

It is understood Smorgon, Rose and Dogs football manager James Fantasia will meet this morning to discuss the issue.

Three years ago, the Lions effectively sacked Akermanis in a press release issued in response to him saying in the Herald Sun that there was just a "5 per cent" chance he would be at the club beyond 2006.

Akermanis stirred the pot yesterday by claiming a seemingly petty Leppitsch didn't attend his wedding eight years ago because "he didn't agree with my (Brownlow) success at the end of that (2001) season".

His allegations hit a raw nerve up north.

The Lions last night would not rule out the possibility that Leppitsch would take legal action against Akermanis.

Bowers said Brisbane would not accept being ridiculed in the media.

"We won't tolerate those pot shots made at the club and at our key people," he said.

"Many people, when they read those comments, may just dismiss them, but to the Brisbane Lions it's much more than that.

"It goes to the core of who we are, it goes to our reputation and it goes to our people, key people associated with the club.

"We express our unqualified support for those people, and we express our disappointment in comments that were made.

"(That) those comments, inaccurate comments, (are) made by any player in the AFL competition, is just totally inappropriate."

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 07:54 AM
If it's "unwritten" then the law isn't broken. We'll see if anything is done about this. I reckon Sam Newman would tell the Lions to HARDEN the **** up!

The Coon Dog
21-05-2009, 07:56 AM
A bit precious there the Lions I think. If they said nada & let it go through to the keeper, we'd all have forgotten about it by now.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2009, 08:03 AM
A bit precious there the Lions I think. If they said nada & let it go through to the keeper, we'd all have forgotten about it by now.

Agreed.

I'm not up on defamation law, but my initial impression is there is not really a case to answer for Akermanis in regards to what was said about Leppitsch. Seems to me like the Lions are the ones who are very bitter.

Sockeye Salmon
21-05-2009, 08:31 AM
It sounds like the issue with that quack of a doctor they had with Jose Romero.

Their doctor said a player was "bleeding profusely" after being scratched by Jose.

"Bleeding profusely" is usually reserved for things like car accidents and major, life threatening accidents, rarely a fingernail scratch.

Jose called him a quack and they sued. Fairly sure it cost Jose a fair bit to.

I always thought the truth was a defense against defamation

Sedat
21-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Yawn - hilariously overblown response by Brisbane. He's off to a reasonable start, but Voss has yet to prove to the football public that he will be a long-term success as AFL coach, and as Aker has rightly observed, the job was basically handed to him on a platter. The sound of insecurity from up north is deafening.

Mofra
21-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Spot on. It seems Aker has moved on far more than a few of the Brsibane Lions brethren.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 11:51 AM
What a load of BS, that is precious. I hope the dogs dont drag Aker back on this, he really didnt do anything wrong.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Bit childish and selfish by Aker. He will never learn.

Not what the club needs on the eve of playing Geelong.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 12:15 PM
La-ame.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Suspect its more to do with the extremely unflattering recollections Acker made about Leppitsch- they're all closing ranks because the big guy is hurting, and is assistant coach...

G-Mo77
21-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Want a tissue Lions. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Suspect its more to do with the extremely unflattering recollections Acker made about Leppitsch- they're all closing ranks because the big guy is hurting, and is assistant coach...

Well, the reality is you reap what you sow. His actions to not attend a friend's wedding because he was essentially jealous about his friend winning a Brownlow is as low (no pun intended) as it gets. Shows the character of the man, and if he's so thin-skinned as to be offended by its revelation, perhaps he should have thought about it prior to committing to such an ordinary decision.

Wanker.

mighty_west
21-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Did Leppa ever want to take further action against Buddy on THAT sledge in Buddy's first season?.."i'd rather be dead than red".....

OUCH!!!, and from an 18 year old!

Twodogs
21-05-2009, 03:59 PM
http://podsentral.com/node/732

Happy Days
21-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Well, the reality is you reap what you sow. His actions to not attend a friend's wedding because he was essentially jealous about his friend winning a Brownlow is as low (no pun intended) as it gets. Shows the character of the man, and if he's so thin-skinned as to be offended by its revelation, perhaps he should have thought about it prior to committing to such an ordinary decision.

W@nker.

Agreed.

To not attend something so special to one of your supposed friends over something so trivial is beyond childish.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Spot on. It seems Aker has moved on far more than a few of the Brsibane Lions brethren.

That's why Aker brings it up constantly? I think Brisbane got over Aker a long time ago but Aker loves seeing his mug in the paper.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2009, 07:42 PM
That's why Aker brings it up constantly? I think Brisbane got over Aker a long time ago but Aker loves seeing his mug in the paper.

He was asked the question in an interview. Aker doesn't bit his tongue for anyone...so of course he answered.

The Coon Dog
21-05-2009, 07:45 PM

If Brisbane got over Aker, why are they issuing press releases & contacting radio stations to discuss it?

jerry, have you ever said a positive thing about this club, or do you just get your jollies taking cheap pot shots?

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Exactly, I believe the first thing I said when mum told me about this this morning was 'how bloody (or something to that effect) precious are they?'. I think Brisbane as a club needs to grow up, they've made a fool of themselves over something that was already forgotten.

Sockeye Salmon
21-05-2009, 08:34 PM
The sad thing about Aker is that he spent most of his career playing for a bunch of pretentious whingers who didn't deserve him

ledge
21-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Loved SEN today had the Brissy guy looking like a right jerk, i think SEN likes the doggies and Aker.

ledge
21-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh by the way is it Aker they are talking about? Dont even have the balls to say his name, how childish it all seems.
I want to know why they are telling the Western Bulldogs they have to fix it, whats it got to do with the Bulldogs ?

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Yawn - hilariously overblown response by Brisbane. He's off to a reasonable start, but Voss has yet to prove to the football public that he will be a long-term success as AFL coach, and as Aker has rightly observed, the job was basically handed to him on a platter. The sound of insecurity from up north is deafening.

Oh yeah, another sooky-la-la from BrisVegas! I remember about the Romero issue, and something else comes to mind - wasn't it about Libba - I just remember thinking at the time that they can dish it out, but they hate taking it. I think I recall Leigh Matthews being very vocal about this and myself thinking......the pot calling the kettle black, as Matthews was one tough customer in his playing days. Does anyone else recall the incident?

The Coon Dog
21-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Childish Lions too quick to take Aker bait (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25519721-19775,00.html)

Damian Barrett - May 22, 2009

AT least we all now know exactly how the Brisbane Lions view themselves: holier than thou.

Until Wednesday night, we could only guess, but, in a poorly attended press conference at the Gabba, it was confirmed when coach Michael Voss and chief executive Michael Bowers announced theirs was a club of perfect citizens who had never erred, and implied they would never publicly view others adversely.

This media gathering was ridiculously called by the club to express outrage at comments made by a "current Western Bulldogs player".

Which was the Lions' pathetically cute way of referring to a bloke who played in three premierships with them as well as winning a Brownlow Medal and maybe even more importantly, promoted football in a rugby league state, Jason Akermanis.

"It goes to the core of who we are, it goes to our reputation and it goes to our people, key people associated with the club and who have been associated with the club for many years," Bowers said.

Beat your chests, everyone.

Bowers has clearly forgotten he runs a club that had one of its players, Jonathan Brown, say this after the 2003 Grand Final: "We put our head over the footy every time and I don't know whether the Collingwood blokes did."

This is the same club that had its senior players arrange for an official AFL Players' Association survey to effectively be rigged in order to humiliate one very genuine and likeable young man, Collingwood's Ryan Lonie.

The Lions players voted for Lonie in the AFL's most intimidating player category of 2004, and his name officially appeared on a list that included Barry Hall, Brown, Voss, Byron Pickett and David Neitz.

The Lions players just thought it hilarious. It needs to be noted a very big name was the ringleader in that little scam.

The Brisbane Lions' response late on Wednesday to Akermanis's comments in the Herald Sun were oh, so predictable.

It was churlish and childish and petty, too.

With all that went on publicly between the Lions and Akermanis in that messy 2006 season, how is it that the club, three years later, felt it necessary to again buy in to a matter involving Akermanis?

Who advises these people on media policy?

And, as for requesting that the president or chief executive of the Bulldogs sanction Akermanis for his comments, well, that must rank as one of the most delusional requests ever made by football club officials.

If David Smorgon or Campbell Rose didn't colourfully tell Lions chairman Tony Kelly to go away, they should have.

Akermanis's admittedly provocative comments about Justin Leppitsch, Kelly, Voss and even Chris Scott simply had to be ignored publicly by the Lions.

It was as if Akermanis was in the waders, fishing rod in hand. Crouched behind a bush, he poked his head out, flicked a fluffy fly on to a calm pool, and waited for the inevitable strike.

Bang! A 10-pounder struck like it had not eaten for three years.

KT31
21-05-2009, 11:21 PM
The sad thing about Aker is that he spent most of his career playing for a bunch of pretentious whingers who didn't deserve him

Not to sad when you can win three flags in a row.
I'd spend all my playing career with a bunch of pretentious whingers who didn't deserve me if I could win one flag.

KT31
21-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh yeah, another sooky-la-la from BrisVegas! I remember about the Romero issue, and something else comes to mind - wasn't it about Libba - I just remember thinking at the time that they can dish it out, but they hate taking it. I think I recall Leigh Matthews being very vocal about this and myself thinking......the pot calling the kettle black, as Matthews was one tough customer in his playing days. Does anyone else recall the incident?

Remember their reaction to the Lynch choke.
Said we where overacting.
Those pretenciuos gits.

Scraggers
22-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Cast your minds back a couple of years ago with the North Melbourne V Essendon Marshmallow throwing caper ... and they thought they were soft ...

I think we have found our King and Queen Of Fairy Floss in Michaels Voss and Bowers

http://www.frogandbrian.com/sitebuilder/images/Cotton_Candy-150x105.jpg

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 08:23 AM
This is the same club that had its senior players arrange for an official AFL Players' Association survey to effectively be rigged in order to humiliate one very genuine and likeable young man, Collingwood's Ryan Lonie.

The Lions players voted for Lonie in the AFL's most intimidating player category of 2004, and his name officially appeared on a list that included Barry Hall, Brown, Voss, Byron Pickett and David Neitz.

Thats very funny actually

Sockeye Salmon
22-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Thats very funny actually

But does kind of prevent you from taking the high moral ground when you start complaining that someone's hurt your feelings.

Sedat
22-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Perhaps Kelly, Bowers and Voss should listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zYdITBBQYI

Dancin' Douggy
22-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I love headlines that say a group of people are 'fuming'.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey, wondering if anyone has a link to that Luke Power article where he praises Aker - I can't find it on the lions web site.

Rocket Science
22-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey, wondering if anyone has a link to that Luke Power article where he praises Aker - I can't find it on the lions web site.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Congrats Aker - you've earned it (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77284/default.aspx)

Courtesy of the AFL website.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks, much appreciated!

Dancin' Douggy
22-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I winder if the Lions will be fuming about Luke Power's article.

Happy Days
22-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I winder if the Lions will be fuming about Luke Power's article.

Don't you mean the comments made by a current Brisbane Lions player? :D