PDA

View Full Version : Metre Gained - underrated stat?

Mofra
21-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Hello WOOF brethren,

Just a quick question - what do people think is the most underrated stat when analysing a game of football?

I like assists and efficiency in terms of an indicator of ball use, however both can have their flaws. Tackles are great as a measure of effort. For me, metres gained gets the nod. This to me indicates ball use, ability to run hard, decision making and the net effect a player has on the team.

It's all well and good to have a high efficiency rating, however a safe handball scores well but may not benefit the team. Disposals are no help, otherwise Priddis would be rated as a gun. Goals? Good, but coaches prefer an even spread these days.

Any comments / suggestions?

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 12:36 PM
There are several ways to "create" effective stats.

Meterage gained is only good, if they are effective meters - I mean a panic kick from the backline might get all the way to the wing, but if it comes straight back, then that meterage should not count.

I'm sure team statisticians would closely look at who is responsible for when goals are kicked due to clangers - simply, if players cut down on turnovers that are not due to opposition pressure, then a team would go halfway to winning a game.

Also, entries into inside 50 which results in a score would also be a highly valued stat - sure teams can get the ball in to the forward 50, but what happens when they get the ball in there is what matters the most.

Tackles are a great stat (for both positives or negatives - if you're tackling more than the opposition, that could mean they have the ball more than your team does, to use an NFL term, if we're on offense, we're not on defense).

I know there are quite a few people who don't believe in stats or even pay attention to them, but for me, it's a great way to judge how effective players are.

Mofra
21-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Also, entries into inside 50 which results in a score would also be a highly valued stat - sure teams can get the ball in to the forward 50, but what happens when they get the ball in there is what matters the most.
Good point - anything that seperates a bombed panic kick from an Aker inside 50 which is almost like watching a top flight director demnading the play unfold in a certain way.

1eyedog
21-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I think it's over-rated. Same as running bounces. You can kick the ball 20 times 50 metres in length and get awarded 1000 metres gained but you are only kicking to contests in that instance really. Metres gained also allocates metres when you have turned the ball over, so if you kick a ball 40 metres directly to an opposition player 40 metres gained is accredited to your total. I prefer contested possessions and tackles. They are the first thing I look at when judging a player's performance.

bornadog
21-05-2009, 03:12 PM
One of the most underrated stat is goal assists. Look at Johnno, ranked number one in the AFL for goal assists, yet people think he isnot playing well.

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Guido with 6 goal assists against Melbourne, but has been singled out by many bulldog supports as being a hindrance to the team.

hujsh
21-05-2009, 05:31 PM
One of the most underrated stat is goal assists. Look at Johnno, ranked number one in the AFL for goal assists, yet people think he isnot playing well.

Maybe the people are wrong them?

LostDoggy
21-05-2009, 09:57 PM
The people are wrong, a coupe of Gia's passes inside 50 on the weekend were brilliant.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 12:18 AM
The people are wrong, a coupe of Gia's passes inside 50 on the weekend were brilliant.

Yes he hit three chests beautifully which resulted in goals.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Maybe the people are wrong then?

Spot on there;)

boydogs
22-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Just a quick question - what do people think is the most underrated stat when analysing a game of football?

Contested marks - if you have got players to kick to down field that can mark the ball in a contested situation, then you can play on quickly with confidence that if there isn't actually anyone free you can kick to a contest and still be a good chance to win the ball, therefore players are encouraged to move the ball quickly rather than stagnate trying to find a safe target, which just allows the opposition to set up their defense

craigsahibee
26-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I would love to know how many metres Gary Ablett was credited with last week then divide that by the number of possessions he had for an average metres gained by possessions.

His Give and Get, Give and Get and Give style of play puts his teammates under pressure and when tackled are not penalised. To Ablett's credit he is good enough to retrieve the ball and give it off again but it does inflate his possessions and perceived effectiveness.

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I would love to know how many metres Gary Ablett was credited with last week then divide that by the number of possessions he had for an average metres gained by possessions.

His Give and Get, Give and Get and Give style of play puts his teammates under pressure and when tackled are not penalised. To Ablett's credit he is good enough to retrieve the ball and give it off again but it does inflate his possessions and perceived effectiveness.

Fantastic for Supercoach points though, I tell you what!

ralphsclimbing
26-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I think tackles are misleading and an indicator that you are second to the footy
When the doggies are playing at their very best I think the single most important stat is the "hand deflecting the opposing teams hand passes" or the HDOTHP. whether its in open play or in tight we nullify the opposition when we are playing well.
PS...I invented the term HDOTHP in case it catches on ;-)

craigsahibee
26-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Handball receives.

The more you get the more you run. Or is it the more you run the more you get.

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I think tackles are misleading and an indicator that you are second to the footy
When the doggies are playing at their very best I think the single most important stat is the "hand deflecting the opposing teams hand passes" or the HDOTHP. whether its in open play or in tight we nullify the opposition when we are playing well.
PS...I invented the term HDOTHP in case it catches on ;-)

Oh, oh, another good stat for when we're playing well is 'Touching Opposing Player In Full Flight On The Bum' (TOPIFFOTB), or what the media colloquially call referred pressure (chase downs etc.)

I also like BAMAS (Being A Mongrel At Stoppages), a stat in which the Ben Hudson/Will Minson combo is currently leading the league, and MP&SWBNN (Mock Push-&-Shove With Ball Nowhere Nearby), especially in both forward 50s before the first bounce.

But my favourite will have to be GITFOOPWJMAESOG (Getting In The Face Of Opposing Player Who Just Missed An Easy Shot On Goal). Now THAT'S an indicator of a team that's winning.