PDA

View Full Version : Ross Oakley - HOF inductee

comrade
21-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Boo!

Couldn't give a hoot about his supposed achievements in progressing the game on a national level - he tried to kill our club and for that he'll always be enemy number 1.

With Ian Collins a close second ;)

UP YOURS, OAKLEY

chef
21-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Up yours Oakley!

The Coon Dog
21-05-2009, 11:14 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/wbMERGEoakley.jpg

Happy Days
21-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Who were the other inductees?

The Coon Dog
21-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Who were the other inductees?

Greats honoured with Hall of Fame induction (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77340/default.aspx)

THE EIGHT inductees into the AFL Hall of Fame for 2009 come from diverse backgrounds and different eras, but are all champions in their own right.

Adelaide premiership captain Mark Bickley, Essendon great Paul Salmon, West Coast stalwart Guy McKenna, Hawthorn favourite Chris Langford, Carlton team of the century member Ken Hands, SANFL giant Peter Carey, Brownlow Medallist Bill Morris and League powerbroker Ross Oakley make up the latest intake.

No-one was awarded Legend status this year.

Bickley enters the Hall after playing 272 games for the Crows and writing his name into the history books as the club's first premiership captain.

He held the cup aloft for the first time in 1997 and, under the tutelage of fellow Hall of Famer Malcolm Blight, did so again the very next year.

A three-time All-Australian, Salmon played 324 games and kicked 561 goals in a career that began at Windy Hill in 1983 and included a five-year stint with Hawthorn.

The 'Big Fish' tasted premiership success with the Bombers in 1985 and 1993. He crossed to Hawthorn in 1996, took out his new club's best and fairest award in his first season and backed it up with his second in 1997.

Salmon was the Dons' leading goalkicker on seven occasions.

McKenna was such a consistent contributor over the course of his 13-year career with West Coast that nine seasons separated his two best and fairest awards.

He took part in the club's inaugural premiership success in 1992 and was there again in 1994. He played in 267 games, skippered the Eagles 68 times and won All-Australian honours on four occasions.

Langford was the Hawks' tough and uncompromising full-back during a golden era for the club.

The four-time All-Australian played in 25 finals, was part of four premiership sides and claimed two EJ Whitten Medals.

Hands is a member of Carlton's team of the century having played a role in the club's premiership triumphs of 1945 and 1947.

He also captained the Blues on 99 occasions and took out the John Nicholls Medal in 1953.

Carey, a goliath in stature and of the South Australian game, played an Australian record 448 matches for Glenelg.

He was judged best on ground for a six-goal performance in the Tigers' 1973 premiership and skippered the side to back-to-back triumphs in 1985 and 1986.

Morris played 140 games for Richmond and took out the Jack Dyer Medal three times (1945, 1948 and 1950), but his crowning achievement was the Brownlow Medal in 1948.

Oakley was at the forefront of the competition's shift from a suburban league to a national power during his time as chief executive officer between 1986 and 1996.

The former St Kilda player took control of soon-to-be AFL during a volatile period of revolution and was responsible for dramatic changes. They included vast increases in the value of television rights, club membership numbers and match attendances through strategic marketing.

He also oversaw the introduction of West Coast and the Brisbane Bears (1987), Adelaide (1991), Fremantle (1995) and Port Adelaide (1997), as well as the 1996 merger between the Bears and Fitzroy.

At the end of his reign, the League was distributing $23.68 million to the clubs: a far cry from the $10.4 million they received a decade earlier.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Boo!

Couldn't give a hoot about his supposed achievements in progressing the game on a national level - he tried to kill our club and for that he'll always be enemy number 1.

UP YOURS, OAKLEY

What a Joke to put him in the HOF.

KT31
22-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Isn't it great after Brayshaw pushing the Carey agenda nobody listened ?

The Coon Dog
22-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Isn't it great after Brayshaw pushing the Carey agenda nobody listened ?

Carey did get nominated! ;)

Scraggers
22-05-2009, 02:36 AM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/wbMERGEoakley.jpg

My whole back window of my HX panelvan was covered in this sticker ... and never a truer word was said; for what you tried to do to Footscray ...

UP YOURS OAKLEY !!

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Bickley was a pretty good player but never even got one best and fairest or all Australian.
There are so many HOFers now, its diminishing its value.
Surely if they have such a laxed criteria for the HOF then why the is legend status so difficult for someone(Lou Richards) whose influence on the football was great and is truely a legend of the game.

Heard Kevin Bartlett yesterday say they shouldn't change the criteria to include 'media'. Lou was more than just the media in the height of the 70s and 80s.

aker39
22-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Heard Kevin Bartlett yesterday say they should change the criteria to include 'media'. Lou was more than just the media in the height of the 70s and 80s.

No he didn't.

KB was asked by a caller if he thinks that the criteria to be a legend should be changed, and he said no.

The Pie Man
22-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Only slightly less nauseous than if Ian Collins was bestowed such an award.

UP YOURS OAKLEY

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 10:08 AM
No he didn't.

KB was asked by a caller if he thinks that the criteria to be a legend should be changed, and he said no.

Sorry my bad, I left out out n't on should. will fix.

My point is he very precious about he how individually wants and sees the game to be. He has too much influence on the rules and HOF comittee.

Sockeye Salmon
22-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Bickley was a pretty good player but never even got one best and fairest or all Australian.
There are so many HOFers now, its diminishing its value.
Surely if they have such a lacked criteria for the HOF then why the is legend status so difficult for someone(Lou Richards) whose influence on the football was great and is truely a legend of the game.

Heard Kevin Bartlett yesterday say they shouldn't change the criteria to include 'media'. Lou was more than just the media in the height of the 70s and 80s.

There's 227 of them now and 21(22?) legends.

It seems anyone who managed to hang around a while automatically gets in.

8 new inductees per year? Way too many.

Mantis
22-05-2009, 10:32 AM
It seems anyone who managed to hang around a while automatically gets in.

8 new inductees per year? Way too many.

Yep it seems a good ordinary player who played around 200 games will be bestowed a HOP induction at some point of time.

Makes the award seem less worthy when every Tom, Dick & Harry is part of this 'elite' group.

Axe Man
22-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Yep it seems a good ordinary player who played around 200 games will be bestowed a HOP induction at some point of time.

Makes the award seem less worthy when every Tom, Dick & Harry is part of this 'elite' group.

Does that mean Anthony Rocca will get one in a couple of years?:eek:

Maybe they should rename it the Hall of Attendance

ledge
22-05-2009, 02:12 PM
How the hell can Lou not be a legend of AFL, he promoted the game and still does for at least 30 years and played a few games too!
Oakley appears for a couple of years and he gets in hall of fame?
Admin looking after admin if you ask me, blowing their own trumpet.

Mofra
22-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Maybe I have a perverse sense of logic, but it makes our victory sweeter.

We took on the entire AFL, led by a HOF inductee due to his time as commissioner, and WON.

The most powerful man in football took on a club, dying, on it's knees, and the club FREAKING WON.

Think about it people. Would you want a few tainted flags like the criminal muzza scum, or do you want to be the only club in the AFL that has tasted the sweetest victory that any club is ever likely to achieve?

I'll admit I'm weird, but no club can claim anything like what he have.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 02:59 PM
How the hell can Lou not be a legend of AFL, he promoted the game and still does for at least 30 years and played a few games too!
Oakley appears for a couple of years and he gets in hall of fame?
Admin looking after admin if you ask me, blowing their own trumpet.

Lou is already in Hall of Fame, but not as a legend.

He is not a FOOTBALL Legend, he is a MEDIA Legend.

mighty_west
22-05-2009, 03:16 PM
As soon as i read his name in todays Hun, i neally threw up in my own mouth.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 03:19 PM

Are you sure it wasn't because of the missus's home cooking?

ledge
22-05-2009, 04:23 PM

250 games, captained 4 years, once to a premiership
As a rover won Collingwoods leading goal kicker for 3 years.
Rep for the Vics 3 times and kicked 9 goals.

The bloke could play!

aker39
22-05-2009, 04:33 PM

The bloke could play!

Why didn't he make the Collingwood Team of the Century than Ledge?

ledge
22-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I am not on the Collingwood Board how do i know, thats like asking why certain players won a Brownlow but didnt win their own team best and fairest.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 05:15 PM

The bloke could play!

Didn't say he can't play, he is just not a legend? Teddy was a legend, Lou was an above average player.

Based on the above we can stick in 20 more plus legends at least, which would denigrate the title of legend.

ledge
22-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Well we have our opinions and with all lou has done over the years in football and media he should be one, thats mine.

bornadog
22-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Well we have our opinions and with all lou has done over the years in football and media he should be one, thats mine.

Therefore we should also have Mike Sheahan as a Legend:D

Lou was offered Life time achievement and he knocked it back, that I do not understand and also more appropriate.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Sorry to disagree Michael. If your definition of FOOTBALL is just playing the game then why can Coaches be made legends?
He has done more for the game a number of coaches at Legend status have.
On his playing record, its better than Roy Calazy's and he is at legend status.

mighty_west
22-05-2009, 06:12 PM

Lou was offered Life time achievement and he knocked it back, that I do not understand and also more appropriate.

I don't blame him knocking it back to be perfectly honest, to me, it sounded like an after thought, and square of some sorts, almost a slap in the face.

Lou is a legend of the game whether he's made one by the AFL or not, not just as a player, but as a player / personality of the game through the media, there was no bigger name growing up watching the VFL in the 80's & 90's than Lou, and i can't see how that would be different to when Kevin sheedy becomes a legend from not just as a player, but as a player / coach.

To me, a legend of the game is for his standing in the game, not just the games played or games coached,and no one os more deserving on becoming a legend than Louie the lip!

mighty_west
22-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Are you sure it wasn't because of the missus's home cooking?

I'll just let that one slide through to the keeper, by the way Dex, learn to quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

ledge
22-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Sheahen never played AFL, as i put up Lous AFL stats before as a player, very impressive , along with his media i dont think many compare when you put together the 2 if any.
He has been a part of AFL football since he was 18 and still is, what more do they want?
Player, promotion , media.. this bloke made football what it is today on television, he started the stunts the tipping, league teams late on a Thursday night.

All the football shows on tv nowadays come off the back of the great Lou Richards, if this bloke isnt a legend no one is good enough.

alwaysadog
23-05-2009, 12:05 AM
What a Joke to put him in the HOF.

Agree whole heartedly bornadog, showed the whole thing up as a farce. Why should a minor priest from the church of economic rationalism get such an honour. Just when I thought we had forgotten Oakley, up he bobs again. Still theyv'e had to wait till most people have forgotten his scurrilous deeds.

Stranger to me is that a certain little ex Collingwood rover didn't get a spot. Lou has done more for the game since he stopped playing than Oakley ever did. Mind you Lou was never on the league's inner circle and Ross the Boss certainly was.

Anyone for a 20 year celebration of our survival as a club and of the anti oakley campaign?

alwaysadog
23-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Didn't say he can't play, he is just not a legend? Teddy was a legend, Lou was an above average player.

Based on the above we can stick in 20 more plus legends at least, which would denigrate the title of legend.

The oakly inclusion has done just that. I think we should nominate Mark Jackson; he was a legend in his own and some other lunchtimes. More than Oakley ever was.

alwaysadog
23-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Boo!

UP YOURS, OAKLEY

Also rang the first death knell for Fitzroy when the league refused to go guarantor for a loan.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:43 AM

You normally throw up in other people's mouths instead of your own then MW?

Throughandthrough
23-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Up yours Oakley.

And if anyone bags Peter Carey's entry (not that anyone has...) up you as well.

Wat more deserving the many of the players in there.

448 SANFL games
played in 3 Premierships
Captained 2 of them
and a gazillion other things
top bloke as well.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Up yours Oakley.

And if anyone bags Peter Carey's entry (not that anyone has...) up you as well.

Wat more deserving the many of the players in there.

448 SANFL games
played in 3 Premierships
Captained 2 of them
and a gazillion other things
top bloke as well.

Not bagging him...but who is he? Obviously a SANFL legend... never heard of him myself.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 04:17 AM
The oakly inclusion has done just that. I think we should nominate Mark Jackson; he was a legend in his own and some other lunchtimes. More than Oakley ever was.

Don't hold much faith in that HOF rubbish... if it was overseen by qualified, knowledgeable identitities maybe... but CAROLINE WILSON??? Please...

hujsh
23-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Lou might as well be a legend this guy is in the Hall of Fame.

ledge
23-05-2009, 04:10 PM
I take it Aker should be automatic selection then next year, 3 premierships, Brownlow and over 300 games.
What more can a player do?

Happy Days
23-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I take it Aker should be automatic selection then next year, 3 premierships, Brownlow and over 300 games.
What more can a player do?

I think you have to be retired for a certain period of time first.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I think you have to be retired for a certain period of time first.

3 years retired, I think...

Throughandthrough
24-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Not bagging him...but who is he? Obviously a SANFL legend... never heard of him myself.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8164/superbloke2.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?image=superbloke2.jpg)