PDA

View Full Version : I'm Shattered

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 11:35 PM
We know we can match it with Geelong, but bloody hell we should've won that game.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm shattered too, we came that close. THAT close. I feel a bit sorry for Johnno with these after-siren shots though, imagine the pressure on the poor bloke.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Yes and no.

Yes we ran them down, and poor ole Johnno could've got us over the line.
But No, we twice gave them 2 sections of the game- once in the first Qtr and again in the first part of the 3rd quarter where they kicked well clear through our turnovers.

I hope this serves as a real reminder to the players of what's required, and of what is not acceptable.
A lot of positives tonight, and a couple of negatives.

We also learned alot about Cal Ward tonight, he has now shown himself what is required at this level and has shown us all he is ready to become a big time contributor. His work in close was critical in the last quarter especially in getting forward momentum from clearances in close, and his tackle rate was impressive -10 tackles.

Hudson was great, Will was good when it counted. Aker brilliant.
Griff was good in patches., but still needs to do much more. Cooney two.

Templeton31
22-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm not. Wish we'd won yeh of course. would've been a legendary win......but until tonight I didnt know if we had what it takes this year. Now I know we do. If we play like that for most of the weeks of the year remaining we'll be top 4 no probs and then we'll get another shot at geelong and the saints when it matters most.

alwaysadog
22-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Funny thing to say after a loss, but our season is on track after some real wobbles earlier tonight and the earlier this season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm not. Wish we'd won yeh of course. would've been a legendary win......but until tonight I didnt know if we had what it takes this year. Now I know we do. If we play like that for most of the weeks of the year remaining we'll be top 4 no probs and then we'll get another shot at geelong and the saints when it matters most.

Agree.
I hope though that our period of play from the middle of the 3rd to the final siren is used by the group as a line in the sand as to the level of commitment, pressure, run and use of the ball required for 4 Qtrs not for spurts.

Scorlibo
22-05-2009, 11:51 PM
It's a win as far as I'm concerned, to get to within 2 points shows that we have what it takes, so many positives and jeeze I hope Johnno doesn't feel to bad on himself because we wouldn't have been anywhere near the position we foudn ourselves in if it wasn't for him - brilliant game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2009, 11:54 PM
It's a win as far as I'm concerned, to get to within 2 points shows that we have what it takes, so many positives and jeeze I hope Johnno doesn't feel to bad on himself because we wouldn't have been anywhere near the position we foudn ourselves in if it wasn't for him - brilliant game.

Absolutely.

I hope that this loss has kicked us into action for season 2009. WE looked down and out during the third, and instead of dropping our heads, they as a group looked like they said 'not tonight, not without a fight' and the group found the level within that we know they've got to get themselves back into the contest and with a chance.

LostDoggy
22-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I am but I am not. We are yet to field our best FIT 22. We have Murph and DFA to come back in. Cooney is still coming back from an interupted preseason. Griff need to realize how good he actally is. Gilbee has been good without being great. Higgins and Ward are going to be guns. Aka is doing great things even when he's not kicking goals.

There is still room for us to improve dramatically from what we have shown so far this year and you can't win the flag until September. The 22 rounds is all about positioning yourself so you can have a real crack. I am happier to have a slower start to the year and come home like a freight train so we peak come September.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 12:00 AM
good to get that close to the cats, bad luck for johnno but hes still a champ.......we just had too many turnovers that they scored from which cost us

Dry Rot
23-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Yes and no.

Yes we ran them down, and poor ole Johnno could've got us over the line.
But No, we twice gave them 2 sections of the game- once in the first Qtr and again in the first part of the 3rd quarter where they kicked well clear through our turnovers.

Agreed. Miracle we got so close.

Templeton31
23-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I think the other thing was we seemed as hard as Geelong.

lemmon
23-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Tonight proved to me we can match it. We've all seen glimpses of it but there was always that little bit of doubt. No more excuses, we can beat the best.

Mofra
23-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I think the other thing was we seemed as hard as Geelong.
We are back to the old days of being perhaps the toughest team in the comp. We match anyone else for clearances, contested possies & hardness at the ball.

Remi Moses
23-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Let's be honest as Rocket said Honourable defeats mean Jack s***.
Please with the continual effort when looking gone for all buggery.
Not pleased with the dreadful rub of the green we got,the continual line ball decisions went their way.
Need more effort and performance from Cooney really looked disinterested tonight.
Need more consistent effort from Ryan Griffen,just playing well in spurts :mad::mad:

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Agreed. Miracle we got so close.

Actually, should have been ahead from the third term -- the Cats were treading water after their burst after half time, and Cooney, Welsh and Aker missed three getable goals that would have given the Dogs the clear momentum. Hit the post 6 times as well I think (from my count), and the Cats scored 7 of their 14 goals (half!!!) from turnovers under no pressure. In a 'normal' game, the Dogs would have won by 40 points.

We just came up against a team that have forgotten how to lose.

---

ps. Umps (and I don't completely blame them) treat Geelong differently from every other team in the comp. Clear holding the ball decisions rarely go against them etc. Until their aura is burst, teams will always be fighting against the system to beat Geelong with the umps subconsciously on their side. Their run has to end sometime, and the sooner the better -- they've become a law unto themselves with the umps, and I look forward to meeting Geelong on an even playing field in the future.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Actually, should have been ahead from the third term -- the Cats were treading water after their burst after half time, and Cooney, Welsh and Aker missed three getable goals that would have given the Dogs the clear momentum. Hit the post 6 times as well I think (from my count), and the Cats scored 7 of their 14 goals (half!!!) from turnovers under no pressure. In a 'normal' game, the Dogs would have won by 40 points.

---

ps. Umps (and I don't completely blame them) treat Geelong differently from every other team in the comp. Clear holding the ball decisions rarely go against them etc. Until their aura is burst, teams will always be fighting against the system to beat Geelong with the umps subconsciously on their side. Their run has to end sometime, and the sooner the better -- they've become a law unto themselves with the umps, and I look forward to playing Geelong on an even playing field in the future.

Totally agree on the umps. Geelong seem to always get the benefit of the doubt in most situations....
Having said that I'm in no way blaming them for the loss. Our two lapses in the first and third quarter's put us behind the 8 ball.

bornadog
23-05-2009, 01:03 AM

---

ps. Umps (and I don't completely blame them) treat Geelong differently from every other team in the comp. Clear holding the ball decisions rarely go against them etc. Until their aura is burst, teams will always be fighting against the system to beat Geelong with the umps subconsciously on their side. Their run has to end sometime, and the sooner the better -- they've become a law unto themselves with the umps, and I look forward to meeting Geelong on an even playing field in the future.

Three goals in the first quarter were from free kicks, soft free kicks. Plus the free against Harbrow in the goal square. Meanwhile in the last quarter they let the game flow.

Frees for Dogs 11, against 19

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Shattered.

I really feel gutted about this.

It's hard to even put into too many words. The boys tried so hard and gave everything they possibly had.

I really feel for them/us.

My only hope is that we use this to kick start our season and destroy the other sides, like we are more than capable of doing. I hope we don't fall back into our shell or come out flat after tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Three goals in the first quarter were from free kicks, soft free kicks. Plus the free against Harbrow in the goal square. Meanwhile in the last quarter they let the game flow.

I actually didn't have a problem with the Harbrow decision, he did not handle that situation very well.

The Rooke one though where he slid into Cross and got a free for Cross holding the ball...that made me go something something!!......

angelopetraglia
23-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Gutted. Absolutely devastated.

We had them. They were there for the taking.

We could not delivery the final blow .... again.

They dominated the start of that third quarter but we then wrestled back control but could not make them pay, missing four set shots (memories of the prelim last year).

Even before the Johnson miss we had our chances. Welsh had an empty square when we tried the impossible short pass to Aker.

Hopefully we can fire up and win the next four ... all games that can and should be won.

craigsahibee
23-05-2009, 01:14 AM

Can someone explain to me why Gary Ablett's kicks don't have to travel 15 metres yet in the second qtr Johnno passed the ball to Mitch from the boundary line to almost CHF and the umpire called play on before Mitch had even marked the ball. I thought we were shafted tonight. Not so much by the free kicks paid against us but the ones we didn't get.

The Coon Dog
23-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Yeah Arkie, me too!

I'm proud of the effort, just sick & tired of falling short when it really matters though.

Heard Luke Darcy on SEN today & he said that at the moment the Western Bulldogs would be rapt to be 3rd on the ladder given the interruptions to key personnel in Murphy, Cooney & Higgins. He said if we could remain in the top 4, but get games & conditioning into the above 3 players, then towards the end of the season, the Bulldogs will feel much more confident going into games.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Can someone explain to me why Gary Ablett's kicks don't have to travel 15 metres yet in the second qtr Johnno passed the ball to Mitch from the boundary line to almost CHF and the umpire called play on before Mitch had even marked the ball. I thought we were shafted tonight. Not so much by the free kicks paid against us but the ones we didn't get.

Oh, and Max Rooke never gets called for a high tackle because he's 'hard'. Rubbish.

ps. You should know by now that 'Son of God' only gets the most obvious of frees paid against him, and if you touch him they'll blow the whistle.

How many in-the-backs did we cop in the forward 50 tonight that wasn't paid? If Geelong were any other team they would give away twice as many frees as they do.

Well, they've earnt the leniency, in a way, by being so good for so long. If we become the dominant team we can expect an easier ride from the umps too, so no use complaining -- let's just surpass this level, and create an aura of our own.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Yeah Arkie, me too!

I'm proud of the effort, just sick & tired of falling short when it really matters though.

Heard Luke Darcy on SEN today & he said that at the moment the Western Bulldogs would be rapt to be 3rd on the ladder given the interruptions to key personnel in Murphy, Cooney & Higgins. He said if we could remain in the top 4, but get games & conditioning into the above 3 players, then towards the end of the season, the Bulldogs will feel much more confident going into games.

This loss should give the Dogs the momentum to really smash teams for the rest of the year -- so that when we meet the Saints and the Cats again later in the year, the momentum should all be with the Dogs.

Both those teams have peaked already. We haven't even been CLOSE to peaking, and we still came close tonight. Tell you what, we're a real show for the flag this year.

craigsahibee
23-05-2009, 01:24 AM
This loss should give the Dogs the momentum to really smash teams for the rest of the year -- so that when we meet the Saints and the Cats again later in the year, the momentum should all be with the Dogs.

Both those teams have peaked already. We haven't even been CLOSE to peaking, and we still came close tonight. Tell you what, we're a real show for the flag this year.

Bloody big call. Only if we start playing consistently. If we give an effort like that every week we will be ok, but that has been our problem for the last 2.5 months.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Bloody big call. Only if we start playing consistently. If we give an effort like that every week we will be ok, but that has been our problem for the last 2.5 months.

It is a big call, but if you consider that Geelong will have to be flag favourites, and we could/should have beaten them tonight despite being quite terrible most of the night, we would HAVE to be in the mix.

As I said, also, the Saints and Geelong have already both peaked this year, while the Dogs haven't come close to playing at out best at anytime in the first 8 weeks. If we play at our best, we are a real show against anyone.

I'm interested in what others think, but I believe that Geelong played pretty near their best tonight -- all their prime movers got plenty of the ball, their stars all kicked goals etc.

I don't think we were anywhere NEAR our best tonight.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:40 AM
It was also a little frustrating to watch with some of the umpiring decisions. Did anyone see the Rooke tackle on Cross? Or the holding of Akermanis? The diving of Steve Johnson? I'm not taking anything away from Geelong but I just wish there would be more consistentcy in umpiring from the first bounce to final siren. I mean you look at some of the free's for Geelong early in the game and they were really piss weak 50/50's. Cross gets his head mauled by Rooke and it's holding the ball.

craigsahibee
23-05-2009, 01:41 AM
It is a big call, but if you consider that Geelong will have to be flag favourites, and we could/should have beaten them tonight despite being quite terrible most of the night, we would HAVE to be in the mix.

As I said, also, the Saints and Geelong have already both peaked this year, while the Dogs haven't come close to playing at out best at anytime in the first 8 weeks. If we play at our best, we are a real show against anyone.

I'm interested in what others think, but I believe that Geelong played pretty near their best tonight -- all their prime movers got plenty of the ball, their stars all kicked goals etc.

I don't think we were anywhere NEAR our best tonight.

We had a lot of players down tonight so to get that close was pleasing. Include Murphy and Shaggy and yes we will be better but Mooney and Milburn makes a huge difference to Geelong.

My point is we are yet to prove we have consistency. To achieve the level of consistency required to seriously challenge we have to believe that we are good enough and tonight went a long way to proving that. Geelong were close to their best and we matched them if not bettered them in close. They always seem to have a spare man as a "get out" when they have the ball. I think we need to improve our defensive running to counter this.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:44 AM

It will be interesting to see if we can maintain the intensity we found tonight into the next game. It seemed like we needed Geelong to set the tone for us, both at the start of the game and in the third quarter they came out with greater intensity which we slowly matched and finally exceeded. The challenge is to set that level of play ourselves.

It does feel like we are starting to build some momentum though, and with Murphy to come back and Higgins and Cooney still not at full fitness there is a huge upside if we can get our best 22 all in from at the one time. I also thought we missed Shaggy tonight as another mid sized defense option with speed, Dale looked lost at times on Steve Johnson.

Ozza
23-05-2009, 01:44 AM
If Johnno kicked it - it would have been just about the best game I've been to. What a contest. I'm so devastated - but very proud of all the players efforts tonight. Geelong were a bit cleaner and finished a bit better at times - but it was such a gutsy, gritty performance.

The old stagers were brilliant, Eagle brought his A game, Ward and Picken were so hard at it - and anyone that said during the week that Gia should be dropped - or is soft would wanna have a serious look at his efforts tonight. when he dived to trap the footy and found Griffen for a goal early in the last - it capped off a brilliant period where everytime he touched it - we got a goal.

With no Murph, Higgins battling, and no Hargrave (in a backline that really missed him) I thought it was a pretty bloody good performance to play to the level we did. It was a very very high standard game - my phone has been running hot with texts from mates that are neutral supporters saying what a game it was and how good the dogs were. I think we can be relatively upbeat once the initial devastation wears off!

The Adelaide Connection
23-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Having said that I'm in no way blaming them for the loss

There were many moments throughout the game that you can pinpoint as costly, but at the end of the day in the second to last thrust forward there was a hold on Akermanis that wouldn't have been clearer if it was on a billboard. In a season where frees are paid for the slightest of jumper holds (as in the case against us when someone held a jumper for a split second too long in a tackle) and where one cant sneeze near a forward this non-decision was unnacceptable.

It was a decision that would have decided a game, but it was crazily obvious. Someone didn't have the guts to blow the whistle and do the right thing. The cats get a good rub of the green? A little understated.

Throughandthrough
23-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Yep shattered.

You wont find any other posts from me anyone on this site re umpiring, as i go out of my way to not do that, but hells bells the Cats definitely get it there way if there's a dodgy one.

Bloody proud of the dogs though, i gave up about 10 times tonight.

Acka, one more year please!

All class.

If Bob had played we would have won.

At least we know we are there or there abouts, we will make the finals again and i'd be shattered if we didnt top 4.

BUT watching from home, i'm pretty sure Johnno actually ran off the line when he was having his kick after the siren..................................

angelopetraglia
23-05-2009, 01:48 AM
There were many moments throughout the game that you can pinpoint as costly, but at the end of the day in the second to last thrust forward there was a hold on Akermanis that wouldn't have been clearer if it was on a billboard. In a season where frees are paid for the slightest of jumper holds (as in the case against us when someone held a jumper for a split second too long in a tackle) and where one cant sneeze near a forward this non-decision was unnacceptable.

It was a decision that would have decided a game, but it was crazily obvious. Someone didn't have the guts to blow the whistle and do the right thing. The cats get a good rub of the green? A little understated.

Particularly in light of the soft free kicks Geelong got in that first quarter that resulted in goals. We definitely did not get the rub of the green tonight from the umps.

G-Mo77
23-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Shattered is probably the word I'd describe my feelings right now. I was so gutted tonight I almost wept. It was a really long drive home. :(

Please don't mention the umpiring the anger has settled a little. In the end we had our chance to win the game but seriously we were pushing you know what up hill all night as Geelong had 3 extras in their pocket. I'd like to watch the replay again and see if it was just emotion fueling my rage towards the 3 yellow imbeciles but I don't think I want to go through that again.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Wasn't just a free kick for that, it was a 50m penalty and a goal. Ridiculous.

Scorlibo
23-05-2009, 01:52 AM

But don't you think that there were a few other non-decisions in the last quarter, going both ways? IMO if the umpires hadn't have let it flow like they did, our intensity wouldn't have been as perrenially forthcoming as it was and we would have never got to be so close.

If the umpires are to be criticised I think it should be for the first, not the last, quarter when they gifted the Cats their lead.

EDIT: I agree on the Higgins jumper pull on Gaz 'Jesus' Ablett - it was ridiculous.

Mantis
23-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah Arkie, me too!

Tonight ment bugger all.

We aren't far away.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Shattered is probably the word I'd describe my feelings right now. I was so gutted tonight I almost wept. It was a really long drive home. :(

Please don't mention the umpiring the anger has settled a little. In the end we had our chance to win the game but seriously we were pushing you know what up hill all night as Geelong had 3 extras in their pocket. I'd like to watch the replay again and see if it was just emotion fueling my rage towards the 3 yellow imbeciles but I don't think I want to go through that again.

I've been here plenty of times posting about the monkeys (umpires)...they cost us 3-4 goals I think tonight. 19-9 free kicks? I bet they'll all be working again next week. Haven't got a good word to say about them.

The Pie Man
23-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Tonight ment bugger all.

We aren't far away.

Bit of Hawthorn losing to them by 9 late last year or no parallels at all?

The Coon Dog
23-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Tonight ment bugger all.

We aren't far away.

Yeah I know, still would have been nice to beat a quality opponent on Friday night with a big TV audience watching.

Mantis
23-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Bit of Hawthorn losing to them by 9 late last year or no parallels at all?

I'm a pretty harsh critic at the best of times, but I think we proved tonight that we can match it with the best team over the past couple of years. Yeah we got beat which sucks, but we fought back from a 6 goal margain in the 3rd qtr which must give us some confidence going forward.

Lots to improve on, but much to look forward too as well.

Mantis
23-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah I know, still would have been nice to beat a quality opponent on Friday night with a big TV audience watching.

Who cares what Collingwood & Essendon supporters think about us.

The Coon Dog
23-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Who cares what Collingwood & Essendon supporters think about us.

I just hate their pity after another close loss. You get to work on Monday & they're all sympathetic, but I'm over it to be honest.

GetDimmaBack
23-05-2009, 02:24 AM
I was shattered too, right after the siren.

The more I've thought about it since, though, the more I think it is probably a good thing.
We've been a team that has scored upset wins for 40 years in home & away games, but we rarely get onto the big stage (eg Essendon in 2000, and the next couple of games.). I'm over that...I want to celebrate wins on the last day of September, like a few other clubs do! Not hang my hat on home & away games...

Hopefully, every player on the ground tonight is burning with rage about this loss, and is determined to smash everyone in the path to get to the finals and hunt the Cats down.

Had we won that, it would be easy for the players to start patting each other on the back and just get ahead of themselves. As it is now, if that loss doesn't fire them up, nothing will.

Smash each team in your path, Doggies. Then go out and hunt the Cats. Take them out in a PF or GF. Let tonight be a springboard for that!

The Pie Man
23-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Here I go again with another tennis analogy..I don't even like the game that much!

I remember Federer playing Hewitt in the Davis Cup when Lleyton was world no. 1 and taking the first 2 sets before going down in 5, it was the closest he'd come to beating him at the time - he referred to the match later as the day he realised he could match it with the world's best, even though he lost.

We all know how that turned out. Hoping we can take something similar from last night

Templeton31
23-05-2009, 09:22 AM
anyone catch Bomber Thompson either at half time or press conference? I saw half time and couple of grabs from his presser on Fox Sports News this morn. Talk about arrogant. Half time was "its good we're being tested" and after the match he blamed Cam Mooney for missing the game, basically implying thats why we got close.

Of course having said all that if the Dogs had won 50 of the last 54 or whatever it is I guess I'd be talking pretty arrogantly......

Go_Dogs
23-05-2009, 10:13 AM
anyone catch Bomber Thompson either at half time or press conference? I saw half time and couple of grabs from his presser on Fox Sports News this morn. Talk about arrogant. Half time was "its good we're being tested" and after the match he blamed Cam Mooney for missing the game, basically implying thats why we got close.

Of course having said all that if the Dogs had won 50 of the last 54 or whatever it is I guess I'd be talking pretty arrogantly......

Yeah, "we have a lot of things to work on. Decision making wasn't there tonight blah blah"

That's because you played decent opposition whose defensive work was as good as you've come across.

I really, really hope we play Geelong in September, because I think we can run all over them.

Desipura
23-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I was sitting in the front row in the fwd pocket on the 3rd level. In the final minute my mate (does not follow the dogs) says to me "look at Aker he is being held back from leading". The ump was right there but did not have the "balls" to give the free kick. Listening to SEN Dermie mentioned that the free kick was there "but it would take a brave umpire to pay it"
Gee thats annoying to hear that.

G-Mo77
23-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Managed to get to sleep, very late may I add. Still feeling pretty bummed. :(

Go_Dogs
23-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I was sitting in the front row in the fwd pocket on the 3rd level. In the final minute my mate (does not follow the dogs) says to me "look at Aker he is being held back from leading". The ump was right there but did not have the "balls" to give the free kick. Listening to SEN Dermie mentioned that the free kick was there "but it would take a brave umpire to pay it"

Why does it take a brave ump to pay it? So in the dying minutes of a close game, you can do anything you want to an opponent and the free won't get paid. It's a cop out and should be paid every time.

Desipura
23-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Managed to get to sleep, very late may I add. Still feeling pretty bummed. :(

Me to, although it took a while to get to sleep. I kept replaying that last kick in my mind all night :(

G-Mo77
23-05-2009, 10:28 AM

I was directly behind the goals at the other side of the ground and could clearly see that free kick. As you said the umpire was right there and didn't pay it :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Why does it take a brave ump to pay it? So in the dying minutes of a close game, you can do anything you want to an opponent and the free won't get paid. It's a cop out and should be paid every time.

Exactly. It's either a free or it isn't. Context is irrelevant.

This is what gets fans off-side -- the fact that umps think that they are 'authors' of the game, where they 'let the game flow' or 'pull a player up early'. Rubbish. They are just there to adjudicate what they see. If they see it, pay it. The player involved should be irrelevant, but of course it isn't.

I'll guarantee if it was Steve Johnson or Gary Ablett Jr in that situation with Hargrave or Tim Callan on them, the free would have been called EVERY SINGLE TIME.

AFL is a wonderful spectacle, but the umps are a joke and are the biggest blight on the game as a real sport.

ps. If we go with what Dermie said, then by implication the ump is a coward because it 'would take a brave ump to pay it' but he DIDN'T pay it. A bunch of cowards. I'll go with that.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Exactly. It's either a free or it isn't. Context is irrelevant.

This is what gets fans off-side -- the fact that umps think that they are 'authors' of the game, where they 'let the game flow' or 'pull a player up early'. Rubbish. They are just there to adjudicate what they see. If they see it, pay it. The player involved should be irrelevant, but of course it isn't.

I'll guarantee if it was Steve Johnson or Gary Ablett Jr in that situation with Hargrave or Tim Callan on them, the free would have been called EVERY SINGLE TIME.

AFL is a wonderful spectacle, but the umps are a joke and are the biggest blight on the game as a real sport.

ps. If we go with what Dermie said, then by implication the ump is a coward because it 'would take a brave ump to pay it' but he DIDN'T pay it. A bunch of cowards. I'll go with that.

I think you should be Prime Minister...brilliant post...took the words outta my mouth.

bornadog
23-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Strange that the first quarter the softest of free kicks are being paid, like three first quarter goals from direct frees, but in the last, they throw the book out and you can do anything to a player and not get penalized.

What happened to the rule that if you get caught with the ball with a tackle and place it on the ground that it is a free kick? The AFL has to concentrate on the fundamentals of the game and not the soft frees that are wishy washy, especially when players are both going up for a mark or contesting a ball in the air. The AFL has all but wiped out the contest.

I thought I was at a Vixens match in the first quarter.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I just hate their pity after another close loss. You get to work on Monday & they're all sympathetic, but I'm over it to be honest.

Thats exactly it. Im over it too..that condescending 'well played doggies' attitude
you get from opposition supporters, as if to get even close to Geelong is as good as a win.

To finish top four you have to win a couple of extra games your not expected
to win, and that was a golden opportunity and 4 points gone begging.

In such an even year its the 4 points we let slip that hurts me the most believe it or not.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 02:07 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Just because it's a close game nearing it's end doesn't mean the umpire puts away his whistle in fear. Compare the hold on Akermanis with the free kick against Morris in the first quarter. It just goes to show you there really is no consistency.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 02:11 PM
you get from opposition supporters, as if to get even close to Geelong is as good as a win.

To finish top four you have to win a couple of extra games your not expected
to win, and that was a golden opportunity and 4 points gone begging.

In such an even year its the 4 points we let slip that hurts me the most believe it or not.

I was expecting a ten goal belting, so I came away disappointed with the end result, but happy we matched it with the benchmark team.

Don't agree that it was a "golden opportunity" "gone begging", or that it was a result we "let slip". We were dead in the water for a while there, and worked our butts off to not only get back in it, but actually grab the lead. That's a testament to our players efforts. Missing two from our best 22, we gave a great account. Hurts like hell to have lost, sure... but it was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 02:13 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Just because it's a close game nearing it's end doesn't mean the umpire puts away his whistle in fear. Compare the hold on Akermanis with the free kick against Morris in the first quarter. It just goes to show you there really is no consistency.

And that the umps deserve every bit of criticism levelled at them...and then some. No respect from me.

ledge
23-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Geelong are a team you will only beat once in a season, let them have this one and we win the important one.
Personally i would rather meet them in finals thinking they can beat us than giving them a little more enticement by saying come on this is the side that beat us last time!

Loved the game last night , people go on about letting sides have 5 to 10 minute spurts, no side has control of a game 100% i dont care how good you are, point is we have to make our shots at goal count.
To the Western Bulldog players and coaches this is why we love you (except Jerry probably) that game last night was all balls.
In the words of the Carlton Clan , WE ARE COMING!

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I was expecting a ten goal belting, so I came away disappointed with the end result, but happy we matched it with the benchmark team.

Don't agree that it was a "golden opportunity" "gone begging", or that it was a result we "let slip". We were dead in the water for a while there, and worked our butts off to not only get back in it, but actually grab the lead. That's a testament to our players efforts. Missing two from our best 22, we gave a great account. Hurts like hell to have lost, sure... but it was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.

Win or lose last nights game will be a real positive for our group, no
doubt about it.

And of course im really proud of them, but what your describing is kinda how i felt after the prelim last year. And it really hit me like a tone of bricks last night that im just sick of feeling like that.

I just wanted the four points to set up our push for top four.
And I long for the day we come to treat a Geelong game as just another four points that are ours for the taking, not some kind of mission impossible.
Maybe that day is not too far away.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I was gutted straight after the game, but reflecting on it, there were just so many positives from it. The fight, the toughness, the hard ball wins, being able to absorb pressure and not playing at our best and still pushing Geelong when they were flying.

Hargrave is just such an important component in our backline. I thought we missed him even more than we missed Murph. Geelong's small forwards ran loose (Johnson / Stokes) and Hargrave would have been our go too man, and he can play on taller options as well.

Other real positives were the way that the likes of Picken / Ward / Harbrow / Hill really finished strong and won some great ball when the pressure was really on.

Umpires suck - there was one passage with 2 clear holding the ball decisions which should have been paid to us in the 3rd or 4th quarter - it was clear as day and i just couldnt believe that they werent paid. Cooney had Ling holding him for the whole of the second half and the umpires only picked it up late in the 4th. Geelong have that aura about them that allows umps to treat them different. It isnt sour grapes - just the facts backed up by quite a few independent observers who i was with last night.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Our best and worst were on show last night! When will we learn to play football without giving away a match winning margin before we decide to showup and compete? We simply fall asleep for 10 min pockets at the start of games and it really kills us!!

However, we showed yet again that we can claw our way back and remain competitive no matter what situation we find ourselves in. When we finally realise that we need to play, we are hard, tough, ruthless and our ball winning ability out of the middle was simply phenomenal!

Personally I am gutted with the loss and find it hard to see the positives in coming up short yet agian, having oportunities and choking, having another chance to bury that side and falling over.

Now lets see what our team is made of, I want to see how they respond next week against Sydney and more importantly I await the chance to play Geelong again and see if we can indeed make it 3rd time lucky????

aker39
23-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Tonight ment bugger all.

It may mean a hell of a lot more come round 22.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I dont know what i am more shattered about
The loss in the Prelim last year
Or last nights loss to the cats ><

aker39
23-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I very rarely criticse the umpires but I was so pissed off last night with the inconsitency.

Johnno kicked a ball from just inside the boundary line to the 50 sign and it was called play on.
Ablett kicks a ball 10m and it was called a mark.

Numerous times Geelong players had prior opportunities and did not handball or kick the ball when tackled. (Ablett, Rooke just a couple of examples)

We tackled Geelong quite a few times and were called for high tackles, yet similar tackles on Cooney were not called.

I do not think the umpires have got the new 50m rule for late tackles right. Although I don't blame them for this, it goes against everything they have learnt over the years. But if Abletts was 50m, there was 1 that should have been paid to both Aker & Cooney.

I can't remember a game when I have been so frustrated with the umpires. With my 7 year old sitting next to me, and me wanting to set a very good example, I certainly had to hold my tongue. (Luckily he sat with his Geelong supporting mum 's family in the 2nd qtr so that I could unleash some of my tirade)

All of that aside, I was very proud of the way the dogs played. Yes, we had some lapses, but we did manage to kick 6 goals in a row from late in the 1st quarter to mid way in the 2nd, so Geelong must have had some lapses too. I watched Johnno very close last night, and he worked as hard as I've seen for a long time. I thought he was fantastic and it was disappointed that he couldn't finish it off in the end.

Yes, I was shattered last night.

Bulldog4life
23-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I was and am shattered. Two observations. I'll keep it short. Without a doubt the umpires cost us the game. Mark Thompson's only reaction to the great game was that Geelong played badly. A poor winner.

bulldog
23-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Very proud of the Dogs we know have the belief that we Can beat anyone and i really cant wait to we play em in the finals and get our revenge when it really matters >cant wait for this week already thinkin of going to Canberra Gilbs 150th go dogs

ratsmac
24-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Last years prelim it looked like it was boys playing against men, and geelong won it with strength in close. this years version of the dogs we have alot more muscle and i think we actually beat them in close. we have caught them in that aspect, now we just have to try beat the umps!! how's geelongs david johnson hold on acka in that last minute of the game when he was trying to make a lead? geelong would have got that free if it were at the other end.

Scraggers
24-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Not shattered ... hungrier !!

Looking back on the game, we learnt a lot more form it than they did ... question is, can we make the most of it come finals time

Sedat
24-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Now that we've set the benchmark in terms of the required intensity, I will be far more shattered if we don't match this every week from now on.

ledge
24-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Actually i like Mark Thompson, remember he was a coach under pressure once, as much as Wallace, the bloke is a very good coach and i think deserves a lot of praise, he built this side and now he admits it runs itself in a lot of ways, just as we aspire to do.

Cocky i dont think so, confident and knows what he has under him are very good.
Enjoyed him on telly after the Aker interview, think he is down to earth.

Saw him lined up getting a pie at Telstra a couple of years ago before a game, seemed relaxed and nice enough and this was when the pressure was on him big time.
Credit where its due and one of the likeable opposition coaches.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Now that we've set the benchmark in terms of the required intensity, I will be far more shattered if we don't match this every week from now on.

Excellent point. This is a chronic problem that we have, we get up for some games and completely fall asleep during others. The challengeis to bring that intensity of tackling, squeezing of space an relentless pressure against Sydney this week.

I think supporters will have every right to be shattered if we bring our B game next week. we needto swing the ledger back our way and cannotafford to go in assuming we will have it wrapped up.

Mantis
24-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Some good points raised in this thread.

The intensity standards is an important issue and it was mentioned by Rocket at the after match presser. He hopes, like all of us that we set a standard on Friday which we need to maintain each and every week. Of course we aren't always going to play as well as we can, but the work-rate we showed against the Cats needs to be on show on a regular basis.

In reflection I am not shattered, I am happy that we proved that we can match it with the competitions elite. Our previous performances this year had been very poor in comparison so it was great to see we aren't that far away.

AndrewP6
24-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Actually i like Mark Thompson, remember he was a coach under pressure once, as much as Wallace, the bloke is a very good coach and i think deserves a lot of praise, he built this side and now he admits it runs itself in a lot of ways, just as we aspire to do.

Cocky i dont think so, confident and knows what he has under him are very good.
Enjoyed him on telly after the Aker interview, think he is down to earth.

Credit where its due and one of the likeable opposition coaches.

Have to disagree, I think he was incredibly arrogant, both in the post-match and on Before the Game. To have had such a close win, be pushed all the way when no one gave us a snowball's chance in hell... and he can only say they didn't play very well? Gave us no credit for our great fightback, or Aker's BOG efforts, or Johnno's great captain's game. Poor form, in my book. Thompson obviously has a short memory, from 3 or so years ago when they were absolutely crap.

Karma is a wonderful thing. Look forward to their downfall - whoever causes it!

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Pretty sure Tackles and Clearences went our way!!
One thing Geelong has dominated for the past few years!!
Another stat i liked..Geelong have only had 100 points or more scored against them 7 times in the past 54 games!
Getting 114 against a ***** team is a great effort!
Im proud to be a Bulldog =]

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 11:32 PM

The intensity standards is an important issue and it was mentioned by Rocket at the after match presser. He hopes, like all of us that we set a standard on Friday which we need to maintain each and every week. Of course we aren't always going to play as well as we can, but the work-rate we showed against the Cats needs to be on show on a regular basis.

In reflection I am not shattered, I am happy that we proved that we can match it with the competitions elite. Our previous performances this year had been very poor in comparison so it was great to see we aren't that far away.

Very well said, Mantis. I think you've summed up my feelings precisely. Cheers!

Desipura
25-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Totally agree, we just may have reduced the gap between us and them. We can go into a game against them believing we can beat them. How much longer can the cats maintain their superiority? Three years is a long time, the bubble has to eventually burst.
I still think the Hawks are well placed. As Malthouse said, its not a sprint, its a marathon.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Our previous performances this year had been very poor in comparison so it was great to see we aren't that far away.

When we are at our best we are as good as any club going around, both in contested footy and also in the run and carry style, you are spot on there!!

What separates a good team from a great team is consistency of performance and effort.

This is where the focus must be, we saw last year that we were not far off in the prelim, yet we continue to fluctuate with our form far too often and let winnable games slip away. Geelong simply dont do that and thats why the are so bloody good and its what we need to start aspiring for.

All the cliches in the world, I know, but I think there is much truth in it!