PDA

View Full Version : Ward's last quarter tonight?

Dry Rot
23-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I listened to the game on ABC radio, no visuals and the replay in Sydney starts about midnight.

Have read some comments in various forums praising Ward for his lats quarter - comments and analysis please.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Yep. He was in almost every contest and was able to generate forward momentum from his involvement, bullocked through packs, smacked into them, scrounged for the ball, when challenged did not cough it up and when he did release it invariably it was to our clear advantage.

Only marked down as having 2 clearances and only 6 contested possies which surprises me as he seemed involved in the majority of clinches at ground level in the last quarter.

GVGjr
23-05-2009, 12:36 AM
I listened to the game on ABC radio, no visuals and the replay in Sydney starts about midnight.

Have read some comments in various forums praising Ward for his lats quarter - comments and analysis please.

Either stay up late or set the recorder because he did put in a great game. Plenty of tackles (the guys in SEN credited him with 10) and I thought he used the ball very well. He didn't back away from the task at hand and displayed a physical presence when he had to.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Ward was bloody brilliant. I think he laid 10 tackles. Great game.

Mofra
23-05-2009, 12:37 AM
He is our Joel Selwood. In 2011 people will be saying "how good is this kid, and only 21!"

The best I've seen him play, he actually shrugged off a couple of tackles from bigger Cat bodies and looked like he belonged. He is probably the sort of guy that needs pressure to play well, a finals type.

lemmon
23-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Tonight was the first game when I have felt he belonged. He wasnt afraid to get dirty or tough it out with the cats stronger bodies. Hes a gem.

Remi Moses
23-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Don't worry with channel 7's crap coverage the last quarter usually finishes at about midnight.Ward was good I thought.

dog town
23-05-2009, 12:49 AM
He is our Joel Selwood. In 2011 people will be saying "how good is this kid, and only 21!"

The best I've seen him play, he actually shrugged off a couple of tackles from bigger Cat bodies and looked like he belonged. He is probably the sort of guy that needs pressure to play well, a finals type. Obviously he is not even in the same league in terms of quality at this stage but I have always thought he has some similarities to Selwood. He moves the same and has the same vigor at the contest, even looks similar. At the moment Ward's first option stuff is just awful and thats what he needs to work on. His attack on the ball tonight was brilliant.

craigsahibee
23-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Will never play at Williamstown again after tonight.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Best game for the club, was everywhere.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Obviously he is not even in the same league in terms of quality at this stage but I have always thought he has some similarities to Selwood. He moves the same and has the same vigor at the contest, even looks similar. At the moment Ward's first option stuff is just awful and thats what he needs to work on. His attack on the ball tonight was brilliant.

Really took it up to Selwood after quarter time. Could see that he wasn't going to take a backward step, and really gave it to him off the ball as well, and you could see Joel Selwood slowly but surely deflate as Callan kept testing him physically. Ward is stronger than Selwood one-on-one, it seems, and Selwood didn't have the 'I'm younger than you but I'm still good enough to embarrass you' cop-out this time as he was the older bloke, and didn't seem to know how to take it.

Scorlibo
23-05-2009, 02:18 AM

Probably true, he was the no. 1 midfielder on the ground in the last quarter imo, and that's saying a lot looking at the quality midfielders on both sides. His ability to get the ball moving forward was exceptional and it was pleasing to see him use his first option almost every time tonight.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 02:19 AM

He is still very young. I wouldn't be suprised if he plays more games for Williamstown this season. Just because he played a great game doesn't warrant him selection in every remaining game this season.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 02:34 AM

Let's not get too carried away. He had one good game.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 03:28 AM
Rising Star?

ratsmac
23-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Ward is going to be a gun, always looks poised when he has the ball, although he can turn it over too much at times. he was fantastic tonight. i thought the umpiring was terrible in the way that they got every 50/50 free and we didn't, probably the difference in the end. i don't like blaming the umps but come on give us a break.

dog town
23-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Let's not get too carried away. He had one good game. I agree that we need to be careful in our expectations of him. He still didnt have a huge game statistically last night. Certainly has plenty to work on to get to Selwoods standing.

BulldogBelle
23-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Ward is going to be a gun, always looks poised when he has the ball, although he can turn it over too much at times. he was fantastic tonight. i thought the umpiring was terrible in the way that they got every 50/50 free and we didn't, probably the difference in the end. i don't like blaming the umps but come on give us a break.

Totally agree about the umps.

GVGjr
23-05-2009, 08:54 AM
He is still very young. I wouldn't be suprised if he plays more games for Williamstown this season. Just because he played a great game doesn't warrant him selection in every remaining game this season.

The reality is that young players form tends to drop off quickly so it wouldn't surprise me to see him back at Williamstown sometime during the season. I hope not though.
His form wasn't great when he got dropped back to Williamstown but the great thing is that a few weeks at Willy should be seen by the younger guys as a chance to regain form than it being a slap in the face. Gotch got him right in the midfield getting a heap of the footy and his form returned straight away so it was the right medicine.

GVGjr
23-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Let's not get too carried away. He had one good game.

I agree that we need to be careful in our expectations of him. He still didnt have a huge game statistically last night. Certainly has plenty to work on to get to Selwoods standing.

Prior to last night he was display some of the dreaded second year blues traits. Lets hope he can work through that.

Desipura
23-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Either stay up late or set the recorder because he did put in a great game. Plenty of tackles (the guys in SEN credited him with 10) and I thought he used the ball very well. He didn't back away from the task at hand and displayed a physical presence when he had to.
I know you are biased having seen him play at u18 level, but surely a great game does not mean you allow your opponent 13 disposals in the first quarter?
I was very impressed with his work in the clinches especially in the last quarter, and his pinpoint pass to Hill in the pocket was a gem. Was by far his best game for the Dogs, but great game?

Go_Dogs
23-05-2009, 10:37 AM
I know you are biased having seen him play at u18 level, but surely a great game does not mean you allow your opponent 13 disposals in the first quarter?
I was very impressed with his work in the clinches especially in the last quarter, and his pinpoint pass to Hill in the pocket was a gem. Was bar far his best game for the Dogs, but great game?

Not too sure that all 13 touches were 'on' Ward. FWIW at the first centre bounce Cooney and Selwood were paired up. Cooney just missed the ball and Selwood got hands on it. Not much Ward could do about that one, or a few others I saw.

GVGjr
23-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I was very impressed with his work in the clinches especially in the last quarter, and his pinpoint pass to Hill in the pocket was a gem. Was by far his best game for the Dogs, but great game?

Going by the thread title Dry Rot asked the question about Wards 4th quarter effort and my response was aimed at answering that. Perhaps I could have been a bit clearer about that.

Check my voting in the WOOF round 9 player awards and you will see that I judged him over 4 quarters. There was no bias in my comments.

Desipura
23-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Going by the thread title Dry Rot asked the question about Wards 4th quarter effort and my response was aimed at answering that. Perhaps I could have been a bit clearer about that.

Check my voting in the WOOF round 9 player awards and you will see that I judged him over 4 quarters. There was no bias in my comments.
I know you are the moderator and it is probably expected. I questioned you on a comment you made re great game: and rather than having a go at me, you answered in the professional way I had expected. Its a lesson for some posters who feel the need to 'name call' one another or just be down right rude.
Thanks for your reply, a true gentleman.

GVGjr
23-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I know you are the moderator and it is probably expected. I questioned you on a comment you made re great game: and rather than having a go at me, you answered in the professional way I had expected. Its a lesson for some posters who feel the need to 'name call' one another or just be down right rude.
Thanks for your reply, a true gentleman.

After I re-read what I originally posted I could see why you questioned it and I should have been a bit clearer about that it was mainly aimed about his 4th quarter.
I thought Wards last quarter was a bit of a minor highlight itself within what was a nail biting finish to the game and I just wanted Dry Rot to set the recorder and not miss it.

Anyway, I'm running late to get to Williamstown :)

Dry Rot
23-05-2009, 12:23 PM
After I re-read what I originally posted I could see why you questioned it and I should have been a bit clearer about that it was mainly aimed about his 4th quarter.
I thought Wards last quarter was a bit of a minor highlight itself within what was a nail biting finish to the game and I just wanted Dry Rot to set the recorder and not miss it.

Anyway, I'm running late to get to Williamstown :)

Thanks - I stayed up and watched it - Ward was very impressive in the last quarter against top notch opposition.

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks - I stayed up and watched it - Ward was very impressive in the last quarter against top notch opposition.

The thing that impressed me was the way Ward physically stood up to Sellwood who is always looking for an opportunity to intimidate.

I also enjoyed Gia giving it to him after he'd shoved Gia over the boundary line also. Whilst a lot of that push and shove is often rubbish I thought it showed Friday night we were up for the game.

Mantis
24-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I also enjoyed Gia giving it to him after he'd shoved Gia over the boundary line also. Whilst a lot of that push and shove is often rubbish I thought it showed Friday night we were up for the game.

How was that incident not a free kick to Gia?

Mitcha
24-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I too asked that question but then remembered Gia didn't have a Geelong jumper on.

The Pie Man
24-05-2009, 09:34 PM

That's a free kick 7 days a week, absolute crap it wasn't paid.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 11:15 PM
That's a free kick 7 days a week, absolute crap it wasn't paid.

You should know by now that when Geelong smack you (see Rooke etc.) they're 'tough', when you hit them, you're 'cowardly'.

---

Carlton were getting frees against the Crows for much, much softer incidents then Gia getting pushed into a photographer, but then again, the umps have to do something for pocket money (yes, I am insinuating that Carlton pay the umps a little something-something on the side).

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2009, 11:21 PM
The Gia non decision was an infuriating non-decision and you couldn't help but feel there midfielders get a lot of soft free kicks for holding etc and ares far fewer

You should know by now that when Geelong smack you (see Rooke etc.) they're 'tough', when you hit them, you're 'cowardly'.

There were two incidents with Rooke that seemed to sum it up for me; one where he tackled ??? and received a free kick for holding the ball and then another where he took a man on and was tackled and we received no free kick. It just seemed very much a double standard.

Scorlibo
24-05-2009, 11:26 PM
The Gia non decision was an infuriating non-decision and you couldn't help but feel there midfielders get a lot of soft free kicks for holding etc and ares far fewer

There were two incidents with Rooke that seemed to sum it up for me; one where he tackled ??? and received a free kick for holding the ball and then another where he took a man on and was tackled and we received no free kick. It just seemed very much a double standard.

You mean the blatantly high and reckless tackle he made on Cross? Not only was it not a free kick to us, but it was holding the ball Rooke's way.

ralphsclimbing
24-05-2009, 11:35 PM
He is a young guy that I thought got knocked out of the contest too easy in previous games. He definitely has poise and his skills are excellent. He is a keeper and at pick 17 and playing in his first year (last year) I say wheres Jarrad Grant. Comparing the two.....Callan might just have the better upside.

Happy Days
24-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Glad to see someone else is on this.

I remember a game last year against the Roos where Rooke, who initially was running back with the flight, checked his eyes early, and then used it to his advangate to clean up Sam Power, who only had eyes for the footy.

According to the commentators, this act of thuggery was apparently "courageous" and makes Rooke "one of the hardest men playing".

Sockeye Salmon
25-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Interestingly in the St. Kilda-Brisbane game today, Blake got swung around in a tackle about 180 degrees before getting a kick in and got pinged for holding the ball.

Bruce commented "that's harsh, I suppose it depends on who you are".

Bruce is usually the worst AFL/umpires sycophant. For him to comment that some players get treated differently to others surprised me.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Ward's fearless attack on the ball reminded me of Paul Kelly. He is so hard at it. There is no way any player who atacks the ball and the body like him will play at Willy.

soupman
25-05-2009, 10:48 AM
He is a young guy that I thought got knocked out of the contest too easy in previous games. He definitely has poise and his skills are excellent. He is a keeper and at pick 17 and playing in his first year (last year) I say wheres Jarrad Grant. Comparing the two.....Callan might just have the better upside.

What is it with some posters and being incredibly impatient. It's almost this mentality with some that whoever plays a good game first is going to be the better player. Wards game showed that he is capable of being a very good player, as we already knew. Grant hasn't played that good a game yet because:

-He has played one game.
-He's a KPP
-He's a lot less physically developed than Ward

Give him a chance before deciding that Ward is going to be a better player.

aker39
25-05-2009, 11:04 AM

I can tell you that it should have been a free kick to Gia.

I can also tell you that the umpiring coaches were not happy with the 50m paid for the tackle on Ablett.

Ablett was tackled with the ball and Higgins just continued with the tackle. It should have just been a free kick down field, not 50m.

Mantis
25-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Ablett was tackled with the ball and Higgins just continued with the tackle. It should have just been a free kick down field, not 50m.

I thought he held on for a split second too long, I think that it was debatable that it was even a free kick, but agree that the intepretation of this new rule is a very 'wishy-washy' at present.

azabob
25-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Interestingly in the St. Kilda-Brisbane game today, Blake got swung around in a tackle about 180 degrees before getting a kick in and got pinged for holding the ball.

Bruce commented "that's harsh, I suppose it depends on who you are".

Bruce is usually the worst AFL/umpires sycophant. For him to comment that some players get treated differently to others surprised me.

Funny you should mention that, last week Mark Fine also mentioned that St.Kilda are getting a great run with the umpires this year and he said it is cause they are winning. He went on to say the top teams always get "the rub of the green" and have for ages, and he should know considering he followed the Saints when they were rubbish and got nothin from the umpires.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I didn't get to watch Before the Game, my son did, and he stated they were analyzing that Ward tackle on Ablett - showing that Ward let go, but Ablett deliberately kept spinning, not to just get the free kick but was awarded a 50 metre penalty. :mad:

I hate the umpiring in our games against the Saints, we always seem to come off second best, regardless of where they are on the ladder.

However, I think that there has been a bit of noise and scrutiny about the umpiring against Geelong, which normally doesn't happen because they usually win by such a large margin. Hopefully, the umpires will tighten up on them and wake up to some of their little stunts.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought he held on for a split second too long, I think that it was debatable that it was even a free kick, but agree that the intepretation of this new rule is a very 'wishy-washy' at present.

It was a poor decision. Even in slo mo replay Higgins didn't hold on that long.

The interpretation of this rule has been a problem all season,

The rule seems to be encouraging guys who are tackled to just drop the ball and stage for free kicks, or get rid of it quickly and stage for free kicks

Cyberdoggie
25-05-2009, 04:30 PM

The best I've seen him play, he actually shrugged off a couple of tackles from bigger Cat bodies and looked like he belonged. He is probably the sort of guy that needs pressure to play well, a finals type.

I'm beginning to think that is the case.

Played his best footy in big games, played a couple of fantastic vfl finals.

Wish he could be a consistant footballer though.

Mantis
25-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm beginning to think that is the case.

Played his best footy in big games, played a couple of fantastic vfl finals.

Wish he could be a consistant footballer though.

A 19 year old who has played only 12 games being inconsistent, who would have thought.;)

Sedat
25-05-2009, 04:37 PM
The '50 for dumping' rule has been the worst rule introduced into the AFL in the last 10 years IMO, and is by far open to the most exploitation.

aker39
25-05-2009, 04:41 PM
The '50 for dumping' rule has been the worst rule introduced into the AFL in the last 10 years IMO, and is by far open to the most exploitation.

I agree 100%.

It goes against everything that an umpire has paid previously.

They not only have to decide if it is a free kick, but whether it meets the criteria for 50m penalty at the same time.

boydogs
25-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I didn't get to watch Before the Game, my son did, and he stated they were analyzing that Ward tackle on Ablett - showing that Ward let go, but Ablett deliberately kept spinning, not to just get the free kick but was awarded a 50 metre penalty. :mad:

Oh you mean the army roll that took him into the next suburb? No, that was just Ward's brute strength :rolleyes:

Free kick to the dogs for staging

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 09:43 PM

They find it hard to understand that introducing new rules be it a good or bad one just confuses and overloads the umpires even more.

Mofra
26-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I thought it would work well when it was mooted, as it would stop scragging the top line players in the comp. I even secretly hoped it work in our favour, as it would help out "burst" midfielders (Cooney, Griffen) in the centre.

I was waaaaay wrong. It is another rule that requires "interpretation", which means less consistency and more errors. The rules committee really should be trying to make the umpires job easier, not harder.

bornadog
26-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Why is it sometimes paid as down field and other times a 50 metre penalty?

LostDoggy
27-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Why is it sometimes paid as down field and other times a 50 metre penalty?

You were expecting a logical answer? I've heard the ump on SEN explain it and I'm none the wiser.