PDA

View Full Version : Has Ling Let Go Yet?

Remi Moses
23-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Can anyone inform me whether or not Ling has let go of Cooney yet?Apparently reliably informed he's still holding him:rolleyes::rolleyes:

craigsahibee
23-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Sharing a cab home apparently.

dog town
23-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Very annoying that he can get away with that at stoppages. Bit of a chop out from his mates wouldn't have gone astray though.

The Coon Dog
23-05-2009, 01:21 AM
I wish we had a stopper as effective as Ling.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I thought Ling was on Griffen for a major part?

angelopetraglia
23-05-2009, 01:53 AM
If only Cooney was offered the same protection from the men in Yellow as Ablett is.

Mantis
23-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Cooney's body language wasn't the best. Just push the dirty ranga away and go and get the ball. He looked at time like he was defeated.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:59 AM
If only Cooney was offered the same protection from the men in Yellow as Ablett is.

If only Cooney was offered the same protection from his TEAM-MATES as Ablett is.

The reason Ablett gets so much of the ball (apart from the fact that he's a gun) is that all the Geelong players set up and block play for him to get it. And he gut runs to get the handball receive from the marking player as often as anyone else going around at the moment.

Cooney doesn't have Gaz's tank (an uninterrupted pre-season would have helped...)

Go_Dogs
23-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I wish we had a cheater as unnoticeable as Ling.

Fixed it for you TCD. ;)

If Cooney was Ablett, Cooney would have had double figure frees last night. I was quite drunk and vocal about it.

Stefcep
23-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Fixed it for you TCD. ;)

If Cooney was Ablett, Cooney would have had double figure frees last night. I was quite drunk and vocal about it.

Its a problem when the head of the AFL says that Ablett and Judd are reasons people watch footy,or words to that effect. Anyone think comments like that don't rub off on the umps? Abletts untouchable.

SonofScray
23-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I am incredibly frustrated with the way the umpires went about it last night. "Ball" players like Judd and Kerr and Ablett just do not have to play by the same rules as the others. Tackles don't count against them because the umpires anticipate that they'll get it away.

With Geelong, the aura of their brilliance is so strong this theme applies to the whole squad. The amount of times we wrapped them up, only for them to throw the ball away and it be called play on was incredible. I'm certain that the Cats use it to tactical advantage as well, just get the ball on and in space at all costs. Very easy to execute when you are not bound to the same rules as the others.

A few ones that really had me pulling hairs out:

David Wojcinski receives the ball, sets up for one of his dashes out of defence. Runs into trouble, halts, is tackled and loses the ball. Play on?

Joel Corey, spills and recovers the ball while on the ground. Drags it in, some space opens up and he stretches out, places the ball on the ground and slaps it away. Isn't that incorrect disposal?

Harry Taylor and Lake contest on the flank, ball spills out to Rooke who tries to crash through, is wrapped up, spun around and gets the ball away with only one arm free. Play on! Eventually gets to Stokes who scores.

Those three really riled me up. The cumulative effect of these and the soft frees to Ablett and subsequent 50 for this crap "blocking" rule, the gifted goals in the first term, and the HOLDING THE MAN decisions against us when the ball had been thrown away left me feeling robbed and angry.

G-Mo77
23-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Harry Taylor and Lake contest on the flank, ball spills out to Rooke who tries to crash through, is wrapped up, spun around and gets the ball away with only one arm free. Play on! Eventually gets to Stokes who scores..

It was pretty tense at that time so I'd like to see a replay of it without so much emotion but at the time I was livid that he got away with it!

The Aker clear hold was one I would have liked more than anything, yet another clear free kick that was not paid.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Cooney's body language wasn't the best. Just push the dirty ranga away and go and get the ball. He looked at time like he was defeated.

Very simplistic response... it's very easy to say "just push him off"...

G-Mo77
23-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Very simplistic response... it's very easy to say "just push him off"...

Cooney looked like he was more than willing to just accept the tag rather trying to fight it off. I think that is what Mantis was getting at, I agree with him.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Cooney looked like he was more than willing to just accept the tag rather trying to fight it off. I think that is what Mantis was getting at, I agree with him.

fair enough...

boydogs
23-05-2009, 07:33 PM

I agree with your sentiment, but Cooney is a redhead too so saying that to him might not get the desired response

Mantis
23-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but Cooney is a redhead too so saying that to him might not get the desired response

I think you know where I'm coming from.

Cooney, talentwise should destroy Ling each and every time they step on the field.

Scorlibo
23-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Yet for all his bad body language he still managed 20 disposals and a goal? I think he came to life in the last quarter.

Mantis
23-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Yet for all his bad body language he still managed 20 disposals and a goal? I think he came to life in the last quarter.

He did, but he could have been so much better.

Scraggers
23-05-2009, 10:24 PM
He did, but he could have been so much better.

I wonder if it is a confidence thing ... not in his ability but in his body (particularly his knee)

Happy Days
24-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Cooney, talentwise should destroy Ling each and every time they step on the field.

Disagree with this.

As good as Cooney is (very verrrrry good), Ling is far and away the best tagger in the league, and makes his living shutting down very verrrrry good players.

Its unreasonable to expect Coons to go out and smash every tagger every week, especially if they are as good as Ling is.

Mantis
25-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Disagree with this.

As good as Cooney is (very verrrrry good), Ling is far and away the best tagger in the league, and makes his living shutting down very verrrrry good players.

Its unreasonable to expect Coons to go out and smash every tagger every week, especially if they are as good as Ling is.

Cooney has to use his biggest weapon against Ling, his explosive pace. Ling is a plodder, he can run all day, but is one-paced. Personally when I watch Cooney play on Ling I think he doesn't try and 'burst' away enough.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Cooney has to use his biggest weapon against Ling, his explosive pace. Ling is a plodder, he can run all day, but is one-paced. Personally when I watch Cooney play on Ling I think he doesn't try and 'burst' away enough.

A bit hard to 'burst away' when a rangorilla is hanging off you by the waist, thus the point this thread is trying to make, I think...

Mantis
25-05-2009, 11:04 AM
A bit hard to 'burst away' when a rangorilla is hanging off you by the waist, thus the point this thread is trying to make, I think...

No doubt, but if at every contest Cooney tried to break away and rangaman was hanging on I'm sure the umps would take notice, if they didn't I'm sure it would be brought to the umpires attention.

To me it just seemed that Cooney was a bit static at the contest and only started to use his unique skills when we were in trouble, I would like to see him use them a bit more often.

The Coon Dog
25-05-2009, 11:14 AM

It would help if he was aided by team mates prepared to block for him at the stoppages.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 11:26 AM
There is no way we offer our heavily tagged on ballers the same protection that Ablett gets.

We seem to neglet this part of the game. However, our stoppage and clearance work is the best Ive seen it, so possibly our players are told win their own ball and take responsibilty

BulldogBelle
25-05-2009, 12:11 PM
We need to protect Cooney like Geelong protects Ablett

ie hit and block Ling so Cooney can break away from him

After he has been hit several times by Hahn, Boyd etc you would be hoping his close checking might not be as close

Mofra
25-05-2009, 12:22 PM
It would help if he was aided by team mates prepared to block for him at the stoppages.
This is probably an area we are a bit poor in; it was mentioned pre-season our forwards don't block well for each other too.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2009, 01:17 PM
It's chicken and egg

Cooney needs to work harder when tagged like that

And we need to block more for him

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 03:40 PM
It's chicken and egg

Cooney needs to work harder when tagged like that

And we need to block more for him

I am no oil painting but Ling is a very unnatractive man, surely enough reason to break the tag!:eek:

Cooney is not yet 100%

He needs some protection too.

always right
25-05-2009, 03:41 PM
It was pretty tense at that time so I'd like to see a replay of it without so much emotion but at the time I was livid that he got away with it!

The Aker clear hold was one I would have liked more than anything, yet another clear free kick that was not paid.

Let me add two other cases of incorrect disposal in the last quarter;

1. Corey gets tackled on the wing as he faces the crowd. He attempts to handball with his right hand, yet the ball is propelled across his body with his left hand and travels ten meters towards the Geelong end

2. Ling gets tackled in the centre, attempts to handball and clearly fails to make contact with his fist.

By far the worst however was that non-decision against Wojinski in the third quarter when he lost the ball in the tackle as he tried to run out of defence. How does an umpire miss something like that?

Cyberdoggie
25-05-2009, 04:33 PM
One thing that Geelong does much better than us is to give protection to it's key players (particularly Ablett).

The rest of them just clear the path for him beautifully. Where as we just run away expecting a handball receive from Cooney and Griffen while they are trying to bust tackles.

mighty_west
25-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I believe i just saw Ling hanging off Coon's back pocket trying to get his wallet out to pay for his weekly groceries.

Ling is good at what he does, but its cheating, Boyd did a similar thing to Kerr last season, and everyone was up in arms for holding on.

On every occasion, Ling had his arms wrapped around Cooney, could you imagine a defender trying to do that to a forward and getting away with it? Not a chance in hell.

Mantis
25-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I believe i just saw Ling hanging off Coon's back pocket trying to get his wallet out to pay for his weekly groceries.

Ling is good at what he does, but its cheating, Boyd did a similar thing to Kerr last season, and everyone was up in arms for holding on.

On every occasion, Ling had his arms wrapped around Cooney, could you imagine a defender trying to do that to a forward and getting away with it? Not a chance in hell.

Like what David Johnson did to Aker in the last 90 seconds.... He gave away 5 free kicks in 5 seconds and got away with all of them.

azabob
25-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Like what David Johnson did to Aker in the last 90 seconds.... He gave away 5 free kicks in 5 seconds and got away with all of them.

Did Akermanis hold onto Johnson the passage of play before that?

Mantis
25-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Did Akermanis hold onto Johnson the passage of play before that?

I didn't see that one.;)

mighty_west
25-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Yes, and yes Aker should have had a free against him a few minutes earlier for pulling Johnsons top and dragging him off to get clear - both cancelled each other out.

comrade
25-05-2009, 07:02 PM

In that scenario, it’s almost a shame that Aker is such a clean player – he just gets on with the job rather than whingeing and playing for free kicks.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Gary Jr was being mauled, you can guarantee the umpire would’ve known about it.

mighty_west
25-05-2009, 07:43 PM
In that scenario, it’s almost a shame that Aker is such a clean player – he just gets on with the job rather than whingeing and playing for free kicks.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Gary Jr was being mauled, you can guarantee the umpire would’ve known about it.

Yeah but Ablett's a sook, as good as he is as a player, and was shown to be a sook on Brownlow night where's a player like Simon Black or even Richo both took it in their stride and generally seemed happy for the winner, Ablett is a "me" player, and showed that on occasions during the game with a few selfish efforts.

AndrewP6
25-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Let me add two other cases of incorrect disposal in the last quarter;

1. Corey gets tackled on the wing as he faces the crowd. He attempts to handball with his right hand, yet the ball is propelled across his body with his left hand and travels ten meters towards the Geelong end

2. Ling gets tackled in the centre, attempts to handball and clearly fails to make contact with his fist.

By far the worst however was that non-decision against Wojinski in the third quarter when he lost the ball in the tackle as he tried to run out of defence. How does an umpire miss something like that?

They're very good at missing things like that...:eek:

boydogs
25-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah but Ablett's a sook, as good as he is as a player, and was shown to be a sook on Brownlow night where's a player like Simon Black or even Richo both took it in their stride and generally seemed happy for the winner, Ablett is a "me" player, and showed that on occasions during the game with a few selfish efforts.

I get that impression too. Not willing to hang around and watch the game when he is not playing. Having shots at goal from 55 on the boundary. When he can't find space himself, he looks for the one-two rather than actually giving it off to a better placed team mate. Bit Kevin Bartlett like.

mighty_west
25-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I get that impression too. Not willing to hang around and watch the game when he is not playing. Having shots at goal from 55 on the boundary. When he can't find space himself, he looks for the one-two rather than actually giving it off to a better placed team mate. Bit Kevin Bartlett like.

I tell you what, if that was Richo or a player from a struggling team right now going home during a game, he would have been taken to the cleaners by all media!!!!