PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow with Kick-in Duties...

westdog54
23-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm yet to check on other threads discussing last night's game, but I think this warrants a topic all to itself.

For someone who has been criticised for his poor disposal and questionable decision making, what did people make of this move?

Bar one or two errant efforts, I thought he handled the responsibility reasonably well for a player of his experience.

Perhaps part of a plan to push Gilbee and or Hargrave up the ground?

Discuss.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I think I'd rather see Gilbee with the job...however if Harbrow can keep up that sort of effort, I'm OK with it

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Hargrave didn't play. Wasn't Gilbee used in the forward line in the 1st quarter anyway?

westdog54
23-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Hargrave didn't play. Wasn't Gilbee used in the forward line in the 1st quarter anyway?

I'm aware of that, I mean in a more long-term context, are they experimenting as to who else can take on the responsibility?

Mofra
23-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm aware of that, I mean in a more long-term context, are they experimenting as to who else can take on the responsibility?
He is actually a quite good disposer of the ball. He probably racks up more clangers than other players because he has the aggots to actually take the game on and make the play, which is the only way to beat the better sides.
I don't mind him kicking in.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I was surprised and impressed with his kicking in last night. In terms of turning the ball over, i think it usually happens when he takes a player on, doesn't get past him and puts himself under pressure.

Stefcep
23-05-2009, 08:21 PM
the problem with our kick-ins isn't who takes them, but the fact that we rarely have a loose man to kick to. We too often seem to have no set plan on the kick-ins, we take too long to offer an option to the kick taker, consequently we have to kick to a contest. against St Kilda it was chalk and cheese how they seemed to kick the ball in quickly to a free man, whereas we were always covered. I suppose there are two issues there: we need a set plan as to what we do when we kick in, and a plan from our forwards when we have to defend against the kick-in.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Gilbee got an injury in the first q, that could have contributed to the decision..

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I thought it could gain some momentum as he is OK at it and it gets him into the game.
Gets a taller option up the field to kick to frees Gilbee up the ground to be more attacking into the forward 50.

ralphsclimbing
24-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I agree with mofra...he seems to get into trouble because of his willingness to take them on rather than his ability to dispose of the ball. I think we can question his decision making though. He always takes on the opposition and doesn't seem to have the poise to execute under pressure. He is young, I believe he is a really nice guy and he does have heart

Go_Dogs
24-05-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree with mofra...he seems to get into trouble because of his willingness to take them on rather than his ability to dispose of the ball. I think we can question his decision making though. He always takes on the opposition and doesn't seem to have the poise to execute under pressure. He is young, I believe he is a really nice guy and he does have heart

Yeah, I think you've summed it up pretty well in a round about way. He does tend to take the opposition on as first instinct, and sometimes that initial decision puts him under pressure and suddenly he coughs the ball up. I too think his field kicking is ok, but down back especially you get burnt by the odd kick that doesn't come off. A bit McMahon if you will...

The Coon Dog
24-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Welcome ralphsclimbing.

I don't mind Harbrow making the odd mistake while he's trying to do something positive.

ralphsclimbing
24-05-2009, 11:50 PM
each year Harbrow improves and that is all you can ask. I thought Stokes had him shaded on the night but you have to let Harbrow know what is expected of him and see if he can rise to the challenge. If stokes was playing for a team other than Geelong, he would be a star

Throughandthrough
25-05-2009, 12:55 AM
With about 30 seconds to go in the game, Harbrow beat GAblett to a contested possession.

For that alone, he should be lauded.

MrMahatma
25-05-2009, 05:56 AM
I think there's a plan for him. He needs to tighten up defensively, but he's only played less than 10 games in the back half, so that's to be expected.

I'm glad we're trying someone else with kicking in. No problem with schooling a few people on it to give us options later in the year. At the moment you'd have Shaggy and Gilbee ahead of him. If he keeps at it that would make 3 guys who know the drill. Could be important later in the year.

Ozza
25-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I think Harbrow is going alright. He was super impressive in the last quarter and very very desperate and hard at the footy -I can handle him making some occasional errors if he keeps up that up.

His kicking in - well he struggled early - but credit to him - he came back well. Its easy to let a couple of errors on kick ins get on top of you for the day, Alot of the time on kickins - you are only as good as your options (I have to do them for my side, so I know it all too well!!) - so he did a tough job pretty well.

ralphsclimbing
26-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I think Harbrow is going alright. He was super impressive in the last quarter and very very desperate and hard at the footy -I can handle him making some occasional errors if he keeps up that up.

His kicking in - well he struggled early - but credit to him - he came back well. Its easy to let a couple of errors on kick ins get on top of you for the day, Alot of the time on kickins - you are only as good as your options (I have to do them for my side, so I know it all too well!!) - so he did a tough job pretty well.

After the game I watched the replay and Harbrow definitely put it all out there in that last quarter. other notable mentions to Picken and Ward. All three stood up in the final quater.

Dazza
26-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Without Hargrave or Gilbee to kick the ball in we needed him to do the job on Friday. It worked reasonably well I thought. My only queries would be his disposal 50+ metres. Might struggle for distance. We may need a new setup for taking the ball out of defence if Gilbee isn't playing this week.

Mantis
26-05-2009, 10:12 PM
After the game I watched the replay and Harbrow definitely put it all out there in that last quarter. other notable mentions to Picken and Ward. All three stood up in the final quater.

I just finished watching a replay of the game now and agree with that comment. Harbrow's work around the contest was very good in the last qtr.

He looked a little nervous kicking out early in the game, but he did an ok job and as others have mentioned he gives us another option when required.

chef
26-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I just finished watching a replay of the game now and agree with that comment. Harbrow's work around the contest was very good in the last qtr.

He looked a little nervous kicking out early in the game, but he did an ok job and as others have mentioned he gives us another option when required.

And he can also kick well with both feet which is handy when he is running out of defence.