PDA

View Full Version : Geelong Home at the Dome

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Anyone know why this was an away game for which I had to fork out money... when it was played at OUR ground? I thought the Pussies home ground was over the West Gate?

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I think they get a number of home games in Melbourne each year, I'm not sure why. I didn't go, I only have an 11 game membership. Decided to just stay home and watch it.

westdog54
23-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Anyone know why this was an away game for which I had to fork out money... when it was played at OUR ground? I thought the Pussies home ground was over the West Gate?

Geelong play several home games at the dome every year.

When we play StKilda as an away game will you be saying the same thing?

Happy Days
23-05-2009, 02:37 PM

It would have been at Skilled had it been a day game.

But like Westdog54 said, they play a few games at Docklands every year, to appease their metro-area fans.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 04:21 PM

You should be happy it was played at our 'home game'. You didnt have to travel down to Geelong.

Some people are hard too please!

westdog54
23-05-2009, 07:14 PM
You should be happy it was played at our 'home game'. You didnt have to travel down to Geelong.

Jerry calling someone else hard to please.

Sweet Irony...

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Geelong play several home games at the dome every year.

When we play StKilda as an away game will you be saying the same thing?

No, of course not... St Kilda's home ground is the Dome. Geelong's ground is in Geelong. Where they should be playing home games. Do we get financial compensation for having them use our ground as a home venue? Oh, what am I saying - it's the AFL, we probably pay them to come here...

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 07:21 PM

If it was in Geelong, I wouldn't have gone. It's not me being hard to please. It's simple - we play home games at the Dome. Geelong should be playing home games at Geelong. Not on our turf. Unless they're paying us.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 07:24 PM
It would have been at Skilled had it been a day game.

But like Westdog54 said, they play a few games at Docklands every year, to appease their metro-area fans.

If Skilled Stadium can't handle night games, why is it an approved venue?
I reckon it's crap. If we still played at Whitten Oval, I'd be forced to go there for our home games. The Pussies ought to stick their own ground. If their Melbourne-based fans want to go, they go there. Easy.

azabob
23-05-2009, 07:25 PM
If it was in Geelong, I wouldn't have gone. It's not me being hard to please. It's simple - we play home games at the Dome. Geelong should be playing home games at Geelong. Not on our turf. Unless they're paying us.

Im slightly confused at why you are so against Geelong playing home games at docklands or at the MCG?
Purely from a Bulldogs point of view don't we have a better chance of beating Geelong at docklands than at Kardina Park?

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Im slightly confused at why you are so against Geelong playing home games at docklands or at the MCG?
Purely from a Bulldogs point of view don't we have a better chance of beating Geelong at docklands than at Kardina Park?

I just think it's pointless having a "home and away" season, when home games aren't played at home, and away games aren't played at away venues. Geelong are one of the few who actually have their own venue. As for our win-loss potential, we're ordinary at the Docklands thus far in '09! And I don't buy into the advantage theory of away venues. They're all the same shape (granted with different sizes!) have four sticks at either end, and grass on them. People go on about the professionalism of teams, and yet they can't deal with playing down the highway?

hujsh
23-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Complete non-issue.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Complete non-issue.

You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I think while we refer to "home" and "away" games, it is an issue.

azabob
23-05-2009, 08:45 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I think while we refer to "home" and "away" games, it is an issue.

As an earlier poster said Geelong have some Melbourne based supporters who may not be able to get to Geelong.
Kardina Park only holds ex-amount of supporters playing home games at bigger venues allows more Geelong supporters to attend, being the home team also allows members in for free and maybe a seat.
If you don't like it being called the "home & away" rounds what do you suggest they call it?

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 09:07 PM
As an earlier poster said Geelong have some Melbourne based supporters who may not be able to get to Geelong.
Kardina Park only holds ex-amount of supporters playing home games at bigger venues allows more Geelong supporters to attend, being the home team also allows members in for free and maybe a seat.
If you don't like it being called the "home & away" rounds what do you suggest they call it?

Only problem with it being called home and away is when things like this happen. And if we go to KP to play some games, a possibility raised in the media recently. Could call it "regular season" as in basketball. Just seems stupid bothering to have "home" games if they're not all played at a home venue. Apart from interstate, there aren't many of them left... Seemed a shame to have such a pro-Cats crowd at OUR venue.

Just my little bugbear...:eek:

Drunken Bum
23-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Think you are on your own on this one Andrew. Think it is also a bit rich calling it "OUR" venue seeing as it is shared with a few other clubs and that "OUR" venue couldnt really give a toss about us obviously.

Am struggling to see how anyone could possibly have an issue with this at all, each to their own though i spose

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Think you are on your own on this one Andrew. Think it is also a bit rich calling it "OUR" venue seeing as it is shared with a few other clubs and that "OUR" venue couldnt really give a toss about us obviously.

Am struggling to see how anyone could possibly have an issue with this at all, each to their own though i spose

Happy to be on my own... not going to change my view just to be with others. I think your point about it not just being our venue is a good one. I think it's silly having a place shared by multiple clubs, and it's a home game for us one night and a home game for another team the next day. Which goes back to my point about the lack of real "home" grounds.

Maybe we should just have two or three Melbourne venues, and the games shared out amongst the teams here. Call it the regular season, don't bother allocating home or away teams.

As I said, just my bugbear (and at least I know people are reading!).

boydogs
24-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Only problem with it being called home and away is when things like this happen. And if we go to KP to play some games, a possibility raised in the media recently. Could call it "regular season" as in basketball. Just seems stupid bothering to have "home" games if they're not all played at a home venue. Apart from interstate, there aren't many of them left... Seemed a shame to have such a pro-Cats crowd at OUR venue.

Just my little bugbear...:eek:

I'm not sure the season is actually still called Home & Away - isn't it just the 2009 Toyota AFL Premiership Season then the 2009 Toyota AFL Finals Series? Having said that, there is still a home team who host the game at their home ground with limited exceptions, including Geelong for 3 games out of 11 (us at Docklands, Collingwood & Hawthorn at the G) and us for 2 (Darwin v Port & Canberra v Sydney), 3 teams holding one at the Gold Coast (Carlton, St Kilda and Richmond) and Hawthorn with 3 at Tassie. Not a large percentage of the 176 game season.

Would have been a much more pro-Cats crowd if it were at Kardinia Park, and we probably would have been beaten by more than last night. IMO we should consider ourselves lucky the Cats chose us as one of their 3 non-Kardinia Park home game opponents, as opposed to say Richmond in Round 2