PDA

View Full Version : Aker on Before the Game

Mantis
23-05-2009, 08:06 PM
The bloke is a star.

Great to see someone who doesn't take himself too seriously.

hujsh
23-05-2009, 08:16 PM
He, Murph and Cooney are all great value on these shows.

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 08:18 PM
The bloke is a star.

Great to see someone who doesn't take himself too seriously.

He's fan-bloody-tastic... very funny, very smart too... and it takes a big man to take the p*** out of himself...

immortalmike
23-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Aker was great. But Thompson is kidding himself if he believes that the cats didn't play well last night. All their guns fired, ours didn't yet we only lost by two points.

bulldog
23-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I love Aker

AndrewP6
23-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Aker was great. But Thompson is kidding himself if he believes that the cats didn't play well last night. All their guns fired, ours didn't yet we only lost by two points.

Typical of him to try and talk down our performance... Cats are so arrogant.

immortalmike
23-05-2009, 08:37 PM

I think it was amazingly arrogant considering Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee and Lake were very quiet by their standards.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 09:00 PM
If you dont like the way i am then STIFF
XD classic Aker, the way we love him!

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Very funny. It was funny when they mixed the footage to have Aker saying 'don't miss to Johnson'. I'd say the forecast of what Bomber Thompson would look like as a Richmond coach would be fairly accurate also. I'm getting sick of the media continuing to ask Aker about next year though, and he looks like he does as well. Probably wishes he never said anything.

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Aker also said that Johnson last night DID NOT actually hear the siren. So that's probably why he didn't go back, compose himself and take his time.

Desipura
23-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Aker also said that Johnson last night DID NOT actually hear the siren. So that's probably why he didn't go back, compose himself and take his time.
The trainer went out to Johnno to tell him how long was left on the clock.

Topdog
24-05-2009, 12:24 AM
What did Aker actually do on the show?

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 12:29 AM
I think it was amazingly arrogant considering Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee and Lake were very quiet by their standards.

Even my missus thought bomber was arrogant. Its amazing the rep that Aker has, in comparison Thompson tonight was a tool. Grab another salad sandwich you smug f^@%wit, we may have lost this one but hopefully we beat you when it counts.

There was a bit of talk last year about the Aker-Johnson relationship but they are working together really well and selflessly, I have seen them side by side on a number of occasions this year(pre-first bounce and at breaks). As I tried to sleep last night, nerves jangling after the game, I had a semi-waking dream of Johnson holding the premiership cup with Aker right next to him, it seemed so clear and real... I said in another thread we need to win the next 4.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Was a great segment, very funny.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Was Thomo on as well?

Stefcep
24-05-2009, 11:38 AM

He was arrogant, but i think the GF loss has made Geelong aim to play at an even higher level. And lets face it, they are the most skilfull side in the comp. Which brings me to an interesting thing Bomber said: That he was most proud of the WAY they play football, which had taken 5 years to develop, and he didn't really care if they won or lost fridays match. Matthew Knights said a similar thing about the Bombers last night: that he wanted his side to play good rather than dour football, and Mal Blight commended him on that. Both Geelong and Essendon are great to watch when in full flight.

On the other hand. this year we seem to have gone the other way. We really have gone back to our roots as the "scraggers", tackling hard, competing hard, but lots of skill errors, turnovers (worst in the comp), no real forward structure for long periods in the game. Really compared to the likes of Geelong St Kilda, Essendon we play ugly football. Why has this happened, compared to even last year?

azabob
24-05-2009, 01:11 PM
He was arrogant, but i think the GF loss has made Geelong aim to play at an even higher level. And lets face it, they are the most skilfull side in the comp. Which brings me to an interesting thing Bomber said: That he was most proud of the WAY they play football, which had taken 5 years to develop, and he didn't really care if they won or lost fridays match. Matthew Knights said a similar thing about the Bombers last night: that he wanted his side to play good rather than dour football, and Mal Blight commended him on that. Both Geelong and Essendon are great to watch when in full flight.

On the other hand. this year we seem to have gone the other way. We really have gone back to our roots as the "scraggers", tackling hard, competing hard, but lots of skill errors, turnovers (worst in the comp), no real forward structure for long periods in the game. Really compared to the likes of Geelong St Kilda, Essendon we play ugly football. Why has this happened, compared to even last year?

It all comes down to what wins GF. Teams that play like millionaires and can't scrap and play contested footy dont win Grand Finals. If you remember for most of last year and the year before St.Kilda played nothing but defensive footy. I think its all about learning how to play "dour" footy first cause that is what wins big finals.
You say Thomspon said its taken Geelong 5 years to get to where they are, in that time he had to re invent Geelong and shake "the handbag" tag cause they went missing when it got tough.

AndrewP6
24-05-2009, 04:02 PM

If he said he didn't care whether they won or lost on Friday, he's lying. NO WAY would they have walked away from that with a loss, and been satisfied. It's all too easy to make yourself sound big by making those sorts of statements AFTER you've won. If they'd lost, he'd have been p*****. Like we were/are!

Knights saying it is different. He's got a young, up and coming team, who are just trying to make finals. If the Cats played Thompson's preferred style and were losing, he'd be in the firing line. And there's no chance he'd still be so happy (and cocky!)

As for us and our playing style, I reckon we need to adapt, as teams have adapted to our style. A team doesn't completely lose it's skills base one year to the next, so that's not it. I think it's just teams are playing us differently, and we aren't always adapting to that.

Stefcep
24-05-2009, 08:40 PM
It all comes down to what wins GF. Teams that play like millionaires and can't scrap and play contested footy dont win Grand Finals. If you remember for most of last year and the year before St.Kilda played nothing but defensive footy. I think its all about learning how to play "dour" footy first cause that is what wins big finals.
You say Thomspon said its taken Geelong 5 years to get to where they are, in that time he had to re invent Geelong and shake "the handbag" tag cause they went missing when it got tough.

Makes sense. Come to think of it, we basically got out muscled last year by them at Kardinia Park after half time, when we were highly rated for our skills. this year we aren't as highly ratedskillwise but got within a kick. Personally i don't care if we play rubbish football as long as we play in the last match in September.

ralphsclimbing
24-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't give a rats azz what some of the media and the brisbane president say, Aker is what we all need..... some one who will talk without the usual constraints placed on them by football clubs.