PDA

View Full Version : A week to forget for a sad, bitter champion

BulldogBelle
24-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Caro's article on Aker....

A week to forget for a sad, bitter champion (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/akas-week-to-forget/2009/05/23/1242498972818.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)
The Age
Caroline Wilson | May 24, 2009

FOUR YEARS ago, this column described Jason Akermanis as a "maniacal narcissist". It was at the zenith of the three-time Brisbane premiership player's sensational falling out with the Lions; a time Michael Voss later admitted saw him fall victim to Aka's divisive and destructive behaviour.

Voss and other leaders at Brisbane back in 2005 conceded they allowed themselves to become uncharacteristically distracted by Akermanis' antics. Voss himself, as captain, and not coach Leigh Matthews, addressed the media when Akermanis was controversially dropped for his refusal to honour the team.

I am told that senior people at the Lions looked up the word 'narcissist' in the dictionary — the Australian Pocket Oxford has it as one suffering from 'morbid self-love or self-admiration' — and agreed it applied to Akermanis, a player likened this week by his former coach Matthews as more of a consultant to his premiership teams than one at the heart of the side.

Four years on and Voss is coaching Brisbane with his former teammate Justin Leppitsch as an assistant. Leppitsch was one member of the leadership group who disapproved of Akermanis' behaviour and on the eve of his 300th game — in case you hadn't noticed that milestone took place two nights ago — the Western Bulldog described Leppitsch as a flawed leader who had divided and not united the Brisbane Lions.

It is sad for Akermanis that Voss felt moved to once again front the media and, in this case, not only distance himself from the player but do so on behalf of the entire football club that was Akermanis' home for 12 years and 248 senior games — a number that places him at No. 6 on that club's games list.

Akermanis won two club championships at Brisbane, a Brownlow and sits at No. 4 on the Lions' all-time goalkicking list. Only Alastair Lynch has kicked more goals than him in Brisbane finals and only Nigel Lappin and Leppitsch have played in more Lions finals than Akermanis. We know he relishes a big occasion and were not disappointed in the Bulldogs' narrow loss to Geelong on Friday night.

And yet, this might seem cruel, when you look back on Akermanis' milestone game, the memory of it will be tainted by what took place before it. Akermanis, in an uncharacteristically humble post-match interview, said the classic home-and-away game will be remembered for the ultimate four points awarded Geelong. Not true. His ridiculous comments about his old club and that club's retaliation will also resonate.

Much was made mid-week of Brisbane's reported over-reaction. It was said that the Lions were being precious and had caught the bait and should have ignored their old nemesis.

But the alternative view is more compelling, more obvious and even poignant. It is not Brisbane that cannot let go of Akermanis but Akermanis who cannot let go of Brisbane.

How sad for him that he still feels so bitter about the club at which he achieved so much and remains such a big part of its history. In an interview with the Herald Sun, he spoke about being snubbed at his wedding by teammates, not for the first time questioned Voss' coaching appointment and slandered Leppitsch — who reportedly vehemently denies key elements of the wedding story.

Then came another story regarding Matthews who reportedly demanded for a time that Akermanis play hurt. Brisbane denies this also. Lethal himself laughed off Akermanis, insisting all of the above is part of the player's five-year media audition. But Matthews can laugh. He has worked at three clubs, achieved premierships at all three and remains a hero at all three.

Matthews raised his eyebrows at Brisbane engaging with a man he clearly has no time for but pointed out that — on balance — the Lions had backed up their staff and should be commended for that at least.

Matthews was right. Brisbane might have had a small storm-affected audience at their angry Gabba media conference on Wednesday, but the message went around the country and that message stated that Lions people were off-limits. The other strong message was that Jason Akermanis no longer had any claim to being part of the club's heritage, which is dreadfully sad for him.

And the Bulldogs? They cannot have enjoyed Akermanis' theatrics last week as much as they would have appreciated his performance against Geelong. I doubt the club will want him next season.

When the game was over and Brad Johnson's devastation became the story, it looked to many of us that there was some brief hesitation before a couple of Akermanis' teammates — Matthew Boyd and Callan Ward — picked up the 300-gamer and carried him for a few seconds in tribute to his milestone.

In the end, the prevailing suspicion is that at his new club also, Akermanis will be remembered as a consultant. The player whose performances will see him go down in history as a champion, but whose legacy will be significantly less complimentary.

Scraggers
24-05-2009, 02:47 AM
This woman is so out of touch with reality that it scares me ... From what planet is Caro watching these things unfold ??

When you take a skerrick of a story (that particularly suits her warped point of view) and run with it ... mmm, quality journalism

Normally I can trudge through her drivel ... not this time :mad:

The Doctor
24-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Thats a very poor article. A sad and bitter journo if you ask me.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 08:47 AM
What the hell is this crap?

Is she saying that Aker has lost the playing group, and none of his teammates want to play along side him.

What a joke of an article.

bulldog
24-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Caro is a absolute joke rubbish journo

ledge
24-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Aker has said this is not about Brisbane it was answering a question on a negative side , one football moment with a player.
Not all players get on , you should know that with Richmond at the moment!

Caro you obviously dont watch TV , last night he pointed out that he talked to Leigh about the injured article and THE REPORTER wrote and put a spin on it! Leigh and Aker are fine.

He also said he had no problem with the Lions football club, it was just the teammate he must have been close to not coming to his wedding, where the hell do you pull it out its a whole football club?

The Voss statement was just what he thought as an opinion on him being good enough to coach, as he hasnt had enough experience, whats wrong with that?

I think its more sadder you write this crap article and stop defelecting away from your club, who i might add lost again and are in the biggest mess of any club at the moment, by the way how proffessional are the bulldogs not even getting drawn into these stupid articles whereas Richmond who by the way say they havent budged on a half year review but have had 2 or 3 already??

Hope her informers read websites !

AndrewP6
24-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Caro calling Aker bitter? Talk about the pot and the kettle!! Prior to seeing this garbage, I had very little respect for Caroline Wilson's media work. Now I have ZERO. For her to make those preposterous claims from afar, when she had NOTHING to do with any of it, absolutely stinks. So he's upset by a supposed "mate" no-showing his wedding? BIG DEAL, I WOULD BE TOO! And how bitter is it that he didn't go because he "didn't agree" with Aker's success!

Wilson claims the players hesitated before chairing Aker off... they've just finished busting a gut trying to get a win, what are they supposed to do, hoist him overhead in an instant? God, she p***** me off! She doubts the club will want him next season - she's got no involvement in the club, what does she base this on? Current form - he's easily been our best player over the last month.

He was a "consultant" at Brisbane? Where he won the Brownlow, and played BIG roles in 3 PREMIERSHIPS? God, how stupid is she? And as a "consultant" at the Dogs, he's won at least 2 games for us this year. He has repeatedly stated in the media that he loves our club, the players, coaches etc... and yet Wilson says he can't let go of Brisbane?

Fair dinkum, I'm a peaceful man, but she really riles me....

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I dont think Caro said much wrong. Aker didnt need to pick old scabs last week. Whether he was prompted or not.

Very childish and selfish. Some of the reason's why Brisbane flicked him.

AndrewP6
24-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I dont think Caro said much wrong. Aker didnt need to pick old scabs last week. Whether he was prompted or not.

For anything she said wrong, see my post.

As for being childish and selfish .... not going to a mate's wedding because you don't agree with his success? If that's not childish, I don't know what is.

Aker is only honest. Nothing wrong with that.

Hot_Doggies
24-05-2009, 05:54 PM
For anything she said wrong, see my post.

As for being childish and selfish .... not going to a mate's wedding because you don't agree with his success? If that's not childish, I don't know what is.

Aker is only honest. Nothing wrong with that.

Im sure there is more to the Leppa wedding story.

Dancin' Douggy
24-05-2009, 09:00 PM
In future the only thing any footballer will be allowed to say is.
"yeah, nah, yeah nah, all credit to the boys.
End of interview.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I want to slap this "woman". She's just crap.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 09:36 PM
And the Bulldogs? They cannot have enjoyed Akermanis' theatrics last week as much as they would have appreciated his performance against Geelong. I doubt the club will want him next season.
On current performances, you can't see him not playing next season. I wish they do just to stick it up her.

When the game was over and Brad Johnson's devastation became the story, it looked to many of us that there was some brief hesitation before a couple of Akermanis' teammates — Matthew Boyd and Callan Ward — picked up the 300-gamer and carried him for a few seconds in tribute to his milestone.

Thats the biggest load of crap in this article. Hestitation? She was looking for anything and read it the way she wanted to.

In the end, the prevailing suspicion is that at his new club also, Akermanis will be remembered as a consultant.
I doubt thats the case especially from the Bulldogs fans. He has won games for us. Been worth every cent and more.

BulldogBelle
24-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Caro needs something to write about...She knows any Aker talk will sell papers. She will be bleating about something else in her next article. I take her comments with a grain of salt. :)

Sedat
24-05-2009, 09:43 PM
A week to forget for a sad, bitter journalist

BulldogBelle
24-05-2009, 09:47 PM
A week to forget for a sad, bitter journalist

That's more appropriate - maybe I should change the thread title. :D

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Caro calling Aker bitter? Talk about the pot and the kettle!! Prior to seeing this garbage, I had very little respect for Caroline Wilson's media work. Now I have ZERO. For her to make those preposterous claims from afar, when she had NOTHING to do with any of it, absolutely stinks. So he's upset by a supposed "mate" no-showing his wedding? BIG DEAL, I WOULD BE TOO! And how bitter is it that he didn't go because he "didn't agree" with Aker's success!

Wilson claims the players hesitated before chairing Aker off... they've just finished busting a gut trying to get a win, what are they supposed to do, hoist him overhead in an instant? God, she p***** me off! She doubts the club will want him next season - she's got no involvement in the club, what does she base this on? Current form - he's easily been our best player over the last month.

He was a "consultant" at Brisbane? Where he won the Brownlow, and played BIG roles in 3 PREMIERSHIPS? God, how stupid is she? And as a "consultant" at the Dogs, he's won at least 2 games for us this year. He has repeatedly stated in the media that he loves our club, the players, coaches etc... and yet Wilson says he can't let go of Brisbane?

Fair dinkum, I'm a peaceful man, but she really riles me....

AndrewP6 - your words are true and correct! That woman calls herself a sports journalist, expert on AFL? OMG - I just couldn't believe what I was reading. As someone else said, she obviously doesn't watch TV or else she would have seen Aker on Before the Game talking about the Leigh Matthews/injury article. Now I fully understand why she annoys the beejeezus out of me if I happen to watch Footy Classified - she is an embarrassment:o

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Jerry, I don't know if you see the irony that you think you can call anyone else childish and selfish without first looking in the mirror. Not surprised at all that you agree with Caro.

Why don't you just **** off and save the rest of us the grief.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 10:02 PM
On current performances, you can't see him not playing next season. I wish they do just to stick it up her.

Thats the biggest load of crap in this article. Hestitation? She was looking for anything and read it the way she wanted to.

I doubt thats the case especially the Bulldogs fans. He has won games for us. Been worth every cent and more.

Totally agree with everything you've said ES.

The guy not only won a Brownlow and Premierships, he also won a 'Most Professional Player' award up in Brisbane, voted by his teammates. You don't win something like that without the deepest admiration and respect, hardly a sign of a 'consultant'.

Rubbish journalism. Caro does herself a disservice with such drivel -- she's the saddest, most bitter thing going around at the moment.

ps. There are still Brisbane people who LOVE Aker -- you don't get that with a mercenary. Caro will never get it. She just wants to bag the Dogs, so she'll shit-stir -- talk about bitter Richmond people, she could be their leader.

NoseBleed
25-05-2009, 03:36 AM
http://www.adrenalens.com/images/theage.png

Worth 1000 words...

NB

ledge
25-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I am no oil painting but her journalism suits her looks.

craigsahibee
25-05-2009, 11:19 AM
As Aker is contracted by The Herald Sun, maybe he declined an interview with the Age in the lead up to his 300th and this is Caro's response. Petty, to say the least but definitely not below Caro's standards.

She is one of the many reasons I do not buy The Age and the single reason I do not watch Footy Classifieds.

Mofra
25-05-2009, 11:33 AM
This is possibly the worst article she has ever written.
Clutching at straws for controversy.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Should the Dogs put in a complaint to the AFL about 'an Age football journalist' launching an unsubstantiated 'attack on our people'? No, that would be childish.

What she's said about Aker in this article is nasty and circumstantial rubbish, and is far worse than anything he's said about anyone at the Lions.

chef
25-05-2009, 12:14 PM
She's making me sexist....................Bitch.

Scraggers
25-05-2009, 12:20 PM
She's making me sexist....................Bitch.

Maybe Sam Newman was right then ;)

Sockeye Salmon
25-05-2009, 01:33 PM
As Aker is contracted by The Herald Sun, maybe he declined an interview with the Age in the lead up to his 300th and this is Caro's response. Petty, to say the least but definitely not below Caro's standards.

She is one of the many reasons I do not buy The Age and the single reason I do not watch Footy Classifieds.

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Stupid woman. A great leadup for Aker, his articles and interviews and not lesat his game were all entertaining, I really enjoyed last week. Caro go save the tiges from imploding and leave us alone if you cant be positive, at least dont try to bring a man down in an important week.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Caro's article on Aker....

A week to forget for a sad, bitter champion (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/akas-week-to-forget/2009/05/23/1242498972818.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)
The Age
Caroline Wilson | May 24, 2009

... Four years on and Voss is coaching Brisbane with his former teammate Justin Leppitsch as an assistant. Leppitsch was one member of the leadership group who disapproved of Akermanis' behaviour and on the eve of his 300th game — in case you hadn't noticed that milestone took place two nights ago — the Western Bulldog described Leppitsch as a flawed leader who had divided and not united the Brisbane Lions. ...

What is with this sarcastic comment about Aker's 300th milestone? I have never been a particular fan of Aker and his mouth, but his football achievements can never be questioned. 300 games is no mean feat and deserves more respect than this and it most certainly deserves a lot of media coverage.

What is the intent of this article? More than just a news item, it seems to be a none too subtle dig at a highly decorated footballer. What a strange woman Ms Wilson is. Some of her articles I find interesting, others not, but this one reads as quite petty and nasty.

I hope Aker doesn't respond.

Mantis
25-05-2009, 02:16 PM
What is with this sarcastic comment about Aker's 300th milestone? I have never been a particular fan of Aker and his mouth, but his football achievements can never be questioned. 300 games is no mean feat and deserves more respect than this and it most certainly deserves a lot of media coverage.

What is the intent of this article? More than just a news item, it seems to be a none too subtle dig at a highly decorated footballer. What a strange woman Ms Wilson is. Some of her articles I find interesting, others not, but this one reads as quite petty and nasty.

I hope Aker doesn't respond.

I am sure he will be asked in some media outlet this week about this article and I'm sure he will give his opinion (as he always does)

I think we may need to lock him in a closet this week such that he doesn't make comment on this piece of indifferent journalism.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I am sure he will be asked in some media outlet this week about this article and I'm sure he will give his opinion (as he always does)

I think we may need to lock him in a closet this week such that he doesn't make comment on this piece of indifferent journalism.

Yep, other outlets will be right on it and I don't hold much hope of him not saying anything either. Silence would be the best response though.

Remi Moses
25-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Dear Age gossip columnist

Could you just park your broom outside of that rabble club you follow.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Remi Moses
25-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Nail,head,hammer. First prize She should be writing for ''No Idea''

Mitcha
25-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Caroline Wilson proves with every appearance on footy classified and every article she writes that she has no idea about what happens on the field preferring to talk and write about the politics of the game. Painful to watch and read and painfully out of her depth in AFL football. Should apply to be Richmonds media manager.

alwaysadog
25-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Jerry, I don't know if you see the irony that you think you can call anyone else childish and selfish without first looking in the mirror. Not surprised at all that you agree with Caro.

Why don't you just **** off and save the rest of us the grief.

Lantern, haven't you worked Jerry out yet? Whatever side everyone else is on, is off limits for him, and he takes the opposite position; even if it means defending the despicably indefensible.

When you know in advance where he will line up on an issue rather than being annoying it becomes boring and a bit childish.

alwaysadog
25-05-2009, 10:12 PM
In Psychology there is a term for the habit some people have of denying their own faults and finding them in others; it's known as projecting.

The bitter and twisted mouth piece for the Richmond FC who masquerades as a serious journalist does just that.

I would suggest she went and got help but who would wish her on an unsuspecting therapist.

alwaysadog
25-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Dear Age gossip columnist

Could you just park your broom outside of that rabble club you follow.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Better still could you go back to helping them, you've done such a good job... and could you stop trying to help us, we're doing ok on our own... not that you would be prepared to acknowledge it other than unconsciously by the shade of green your countenance has turned.

Happy Days
25-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Anyone hear Hutchy rip into her on Footy Classified over the article?

Almost made me tolerate the bloke.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Just watching it now in Adelaide, the whole panel are giving her a serve. bloody funny. She is not happy, no backward step though, stupid misguided M%!&