PDA

View Full Version : Cliff hangers

The Coon Dog
24-05-2009, 12:05 PM
There is nothing guaranteed to get the heart pumping more than watching a game of footy where the result is in the balance right until the final siren.

I know we have done a thread on drawn games before: DRAWN GAMES (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1373)

What are some of your most vivid cliff hanger memories, both wins & losses?

As a kid I remember we beat Fitzroy out at Waverley in the worst game ever. It was about 5 goals to 4 & Alan Stoneham kicked a goal after the siren to give us a 1 point win.

I loved Johnno's 300th game where the great man kicked 3 late goals & Nathan Bock missed a shot after the siren to record a nail biting win.

I'm sure I speak for all on here when I say 1997. Enough said!

1990, who could ever forget Steve Kolynuik's goal to give us a win against Collingwood & the MCG?

Over to you.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 01:11 PM
There are a few against geelong in years gone that certainly rate a mention!

boydogs
24-05-2009, 01:49 PM
The comeback against Richmond last year climaxing with what will forever be known as 'doing a Brian Lake'. That was a draw to celebrate given how far down we were

You are right about the heart pumping - a few on here have commented it took them a while to get to sleep Friday night

Remi Moses
24-05-2009, 03:25 PM
the best pressure kick was Super Macpherson v North in 87,goal after the siren from 50 to tie the scores.the worst was that bogan Geelong dummy after the siren in 94:mad:

1eyedog
24-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Was it round 1 2007 when Johnno kicked 8 and we beat Geelong by a point? Good game that and from memory they came back later in the season and got over the line by a point themselves.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2009, 03:37 PM
There are a few against geelong in years gone that certainly rate a mention!

Agreed. Was it two in a row that were decided by a point, and another one that was decided by not much more?

The match against the Crows were Cooney kicked 5 and had 30 odd touches at the MCG is another that sticks in my mind. (Probably because it involved beating the Crows).

westdog54
24-05-2009, 03:42 PM
There was a game against the Eagles at OO in 99 that sticks in my mind.

The last quarter we had attack after attack cut off by WC's defence and the Heatley Terrace was getting more and more frustrated, but we held onto a 2 point lead.

When the siren went it was a roar the likes of which I hadn't heard for a long time. That win gave us a home final IIRC.

2000 against Essendon was a ripper too, talking of pressure kicks. Will never forget Grant's left foot snap from the pocket, or Johnson running the length of the field to give John Barnes a bake.

Happy Days
24-05-2009, 04:57 PM
What about the one in '04 against the Roos in Canberra?

Down by 30-odd at three quarter time, Johnno kicked the matchwinner with half a minute left despite trying his hardest not to.

westdog54
24-05-2009, 06:24 PM
What about the one in '04 against the Roos in Canberra?

Down by 30-odd at three quarter time, Johnno kicked the matchwinner with half a minute left despite trying his hardest not to.

How could I forget?

Cam Faulkner kicked 3 on debut, outmarked Troy Makepeace with a minute to go, gave Hahn a hospital handpass into the corridor, Hahn's kick forward spills off hands, knocked into the goalsquare by Cooney, Johnson picks it up, slips, recovers, slips again, drops the ball, pushes his boot onto it just enough to force it through. The goal umpire pauses for dramatic effect, walks calmly and deliberately to the middle of the goal line, and THERE IT IS!

hujsh
24-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Was it round 1 2007 when Johnno kicked 8 and we beat Geelong by a point? Good game that and from memory they came back later in the season and got over the line by a point themselves.

You've merged two different matches in your mind. We were up by about 40 against Geelong and it ended up being about 20 points the difference.

The year before (2006) we had a close win (the one where Gilbee ran the ground from the kick-in) and a close loss against Geelong

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Agreed. Was it two in a row that were decided by a point, and another one that was decided by not much more?

The match against the Crows were Cooney kicked 5 and had 30 odd touches at the MCG is another that sticks in my mind. (Probably because it involved beating the Crows).

That is one of my all time fav games... that was awesome

The Crow last year Rd 1 Johno's 300th was pretty good to

lemmon
24-05-2009, 07:34 PM
The game against Melbourne in 05 when a win would send either club into the finals, Im fairly sure it was Minson who gave away a free kick from a throw in 50 metres out on a tight angle only to have Jeff White go back and slot it. I was shattered.

Mitcha
24-05-2009, 08:40 PM
It was actually Skipper penalized in that ruck contest, still have no idea what the free was for after seeing it on replay at the MCG prior to the Melbourne game last week.

The Pie Man
24-05-2009, 09:25 PM
99 vs the Crows at the G, 7 goals down at 3 qtr time, staggering comeback and for memory it was the strutting peacock Darcy putting us in front from 50 out at the Ponsford stand end.

97 or 98 vs Swans at Waverley was one I remember, Hudson kicked the last goal from the goal square with not much left.

Draw vs Essendon when Lloyd missed after the siren was pretty funny, was there with Essendon mates and I started celebrating as the siren went and they all laughed at me pointing out a free was paid - and then they started celebrating, so I gave it back to em once he missed

Round 2 97 vs Swans at Optus was an important kick start after losing to Freo the week before, Libba reborn as a tagger on Paul Kelly. Was a very tense afternoon.

The Pie Man
24-05-2009, 09:31 PM
It was actually Skipper penalized in that ruck contest, still have no idea what the free was for after seeing it on replay at the MCG prior to the Melbourne game last week.

That's the worse I've felt after a H & A game ever. Still bleeding we didn't get the opportunity to see what we could do in September on that form - I'm sure we've played better in the past 4 years, but that 6 weeks (barring that last 10 minutes of round 21) feels like the best patch we'd played in nearly 10 years.

In that 6 week period we had Griffen tear Gary Jnr a new one, Turtle kick 6 against WCE & Boyd kick what is possibly the funniest goal I've seen just before 3 qtr time against Richmond where he's single handedly broken from the flood with several soccers forward and run into an open goal.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2009, 09:42 PM
That's the worse I've felt after a H & A game ever. Still bleeding we didn't get the opportunity to see what we could do in September on that form - I'm sure we've played better in the past 4 years, but that 6 weeks (barring that last 10 minutes of round 21) feels like the best patch we'd played in nearly 10 years.

In that 6 week period we had Griffen tear Gary Jnr a new one, Turtle kick 6 against WCE & Boyd kick what is possibly the funniest goal I've seen just before 3 qtr time against Richmond where he's single handedly broken from the flood with several soccers forward and run into an open goal.

Agree. We were in rare form. Destroyed West Coast at the MCG. Smashed Brisbane in the last quarter at the Dome (Robbins took a speccy). Big win against the Cats. It was a great run of games except for that last few minutes against Melbourne.

SonofScray
24-05-2009, 10:27 PM

I thought the flag would wag on that form.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 11:12 PM
the best pressure kick was Super Macpherson v North in 87,goal after the siren from 50 to tie the scores.the worst was that bogan Geelong dummy after the siren in 94:mad:

Oh yeah, I've just remembered that one - it was a final, right? I was sitting in the pocket that Billy Brainless kicked from - I was on my own that night, and everyone around me was shattered - the little kid next to me with his Dad was crying his eyes out. But, I don't think it was quite as bad at 1997 - try as I will, I can't get over that one, every time I hear the Crows song, I shudder :(

The Pie Man
24-05-2009, 11:13 PM
1990, who could ever forget Steve Kolynuik's goal to give us a win against Collingwood & the MCG?

Actually one of the rare pieces of McAvaney commentary I enjoyed.

'Will he take him on, yes, I thought he would'

Sedat
24-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Three games in 2000 spring to mind:

Dogs v North at the Dome - we came back from 42 points down early in the 3rd to pip them at the post. Crofty did a mighty job keeping Carey in check in several one-on-one marking contests.

Dogs v Carlton at Princes Park - been spoken about in previous threads ad nauseum but that match always brings a smile to my face.

Super Flood v the Bombers - as above, been covered to death but what an amazing night.

The Pie Man
24-05-2009, 11:20 PM
[/B]

Oh yeah, I've just remembered that one - it was a final, right? I was sitting in the pocket that Billy Brainless kicked from - I was on my own that night, and everyone around me was shattered - the little kid next to me with his Dad was crying his eyes out. But, I don't think it was quite as bad at 1997 - try as I will, I can't get over that one, every time I hear the Crows song, I shudder :(

or the mere mention of Jarman...

The 94 qualifying final hurt as we'd come from a fair way back, down by 5 goals at qtr time to almost draw level by 3 qtr time and obviously hit the lead late. Brownless did nothing that night IIRC as well.

Happy Days
24-05-2009, 11:51 PM
What about the night we made Max Hudgton cry? :)

aker39
25-05-2009, 09:10 AM
For me, one stands out above all others, and that was the Essendon game in 2000.

Essendon supporters still hate us for that, their only loss for the year.

The Pie Man
25-05-2009, 09:36 AM
For me, one stands out above all others, and that was the Essendon game in 2000.

Essendon supporters still hate us for that, their only loss for the year.

We did them a favour, imagine the pressure coming into the GF having not lost all year?

1eyedog
25-05-2009, 02:54 PM
You've merged two different matches in your mind. We were up by about 40 against Geelong and it ended up being about 20 points the difference.

The year before (2006) we had a close win (the one where Gilbee ran the ground from the kick-in) and a close loss against Geelong

Thanks for clarifying that hujsh

Remi Moses
25-05-2009, 03:21 PM
[/B]

Trailed by 7 goals at quarter time,with Ablett kicking 5. Richard Osbourne kicked a goal to put us in front with 30 sec to go. Well and truly shut a couple of hicks gobbing off all night. Unfortunately they got the last laugh:(:(