PDA

View Full Version : Season 2007 - Do we still take risks?

W W Biscuit
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Chris Grant's injury is an interesting challenge for us. Let's face it, season 2007 will be Chris's last and we are going to have to get used to not having him around. As alluded to in other threads, the next few weeks will be a crucial stage in the development of Cam White. In a kinder injury-free universe, it would also have given Tom Williams a chance to gain some senior experience. It still could.

Losing one of your champions is rarely seemless, and it is all about timing the development of your young talent to fill the void. I think that the Brisbane Lions did it well in the late 90s. Their period of sustained success followed retirements of some of their best players - Roger Merrett, Craig Lambert, Magic McLean, Richard Champion...We have lost Chris for ten weeks, but fairly soon we will have lost him for good. For the first time that I can recall, the Bulldogs list has an imposing feel about it. Although it would be great to drink that premiership port this year, I still feel as though we are a work in progress. Sadly, Chris Grant will not be a part of what could become the greatest era in our club's history. Do we continue to tweak our team with an eye to what could be an impending period of sustained success? At least whilst Grant is injured, do we gamble and promote a player like Tom Williams out of the blue, or is this really the domain of a struggling side that has no other option?

Play it safe or take a risk???

Dry Rot
04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Like the theory but not the example.

For Williams own sake surely he needs time to prove himself first in the Bees 2s, then the Bees seniors?

W W Biscuit
04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Like the theory but not the example.

For Williams own sake surely he needs time to prove himself first in the Bees 2s, then the Bees seniors?

Yes, he does. But I suppose that was my point. Promoting someone like Williams WOULD be highly unconventional. Is there anything to be gained by being unconventional, or is it just too 'out there?' :D

bornadog
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Yes, he does. But I suppose that was my point. Promoting someone like Williams WOULD be highly unconventional. Is there anything to be gained by being unconventional, or is it just too 'out there?' :D

Sometimes players develop better when they are amongst elite players, playing in the fast pace of the AFL. I like your thinking, throw him in the deep end give him a go and lets develop him that way. Playing in the Bees may be a slower route, but I think we need to fast track some of the taller players.

Go_Dogs
04-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I'd be prepared to throw him in the deep end, and I'd be surprised if he didn't get thrown in and let him show us what he can do. If he can string together 2 good games for the B's, he'll play.

Bulldog Revolution
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Sometimes players develop better when they are amongst elite players, playing in the fast pace of the AFL. I like your thinking, throw him in the deep end give him a go and lets develop him that way. Playing in the Bees may be a slower route, but I think we need to fast track some of the taller players.

If he hadn't had the two years of disaster since being on the list I would have been all for it, I saw enough in that pre-season game against Carlton to think that he should be blooded in the senior side. But given the injuries he has had, and the desire to prove himself to the club and supporters I think its important we hold him back here, and just focus on having him play a full year injury free and contributing. I think Eade has tried to blood talls by playing Williams, and giving Walsh his first senior game, and promoting Wight.

On the development angle though I am sure Eade will make sure that Higgins, Addison are continuing to move forward given the elite level of talent they have displayed, and whoever else of Baird, McCormack, Faulkner is in form etc and deserve opportunities. And it is of course crazy to think we will not have to cover injuries at some stage. Given what they appear to be showing so far it would not surprise me if Lynch and Harbrow were also given opportunities. I think Eade is always keeping an eye on the future, but this group has to take advantage of the opportunities to win now. We may end up with an opportunity this year, if we are good enough to finish top 4, but that is a hell of a long way off AND we should not forget the enormous amount of improvement we will need to make on last year - our best was very good but we were comprehensively beaten by the Saints twice, Eagles in the finals, Sydney in Sydney, Adelaide at AAMI, Freo at Subi and had disappointing losses to Port and North. All that said I think we could win it this season, but we do need to improve a lot to make that happen.

GVGjr
05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Chris Grant's injury is an interesting challenge for us. Let's face it, season 2007 will be Chris's last and we are going to have to get used to not having him around. As alluded to in other threads, the next few weeks will be a crucial stage in the development of Cam White. In a kinder injury-free universe, it would also have given Tom Williams a chance to gain some senior experience. It still could.

Good thought starter. In a rebuilding season you could argue that this is a great opportunity to give significant game time and experience to development players that might not be otherwise ready. In the long term this would benefit the team.
It still might pan out that way but we are aiming very high this year and must go with the players that coach thinks can add the most value to the team each game.

As BR indicated we will still be pumping the games into the most ready of the younger players like Higgins, Wight and FWIW I think McDougall fits into that category as well. There are players like Addison and even Walsh that might also force their way into the team during the season.
An injury free Tom Williams will force his way into the team at some stage so while we are going for the gold this year we will still be developing the right players at the right time.

We cannot replace Chris Grant but it will create some opportunities no doubt. We should not take unnecessary risks unless its going help us for the 2007 season.

alwaysadog
05-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Good thought starter. In a rebuilding season you could argue that this is a great opportunity to give significant game time and experience to development players that might not be otherwise ready. In the long term this would benefit the team.
It still might pan out that way but we are aiming very high this year and must go with the players that coach thinks can add the most value to the team each game.

As BR indicated we will still be pumping the games into the most ready of the younger players
like Higgins, Wight and FWIW I think McDougall fits into that category as well. There are players like Addison and even Walsh that might their way into the team during the season.
An injury free Tom Williams will force his way into the team at some stage so while we are going for the gold this year we will still be developing the right players at the right time.

We cannot replace Chris Grant but it will create some opportunities no doubt.

This is a terrific thread and quality discussion. My view is that we should give fit in form players a go, but don't burn under done players on the way back from injury. FWIW I think Williams is entitled to a relatively pressure free time to regain poise and confidence. When he indicates he is ready they will fast track him but not till then. Maybe it's sooner, maybe it's later, if he stays fit it will come.

southerncross
05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
This is a terrific thread and quality discussion. My view is that we should give fit in form players a go, but don't burn under done players on the way back from injury. FWIW I think Williams is entitled to a relatively pressure free time to regain poise and confidence. When he indicates he is ready they will fast track him but not till then. Maybe it's sooner, maybe it's later, if he stays fit it will come.

Spot on about the thread and I think your views on Williams being given a pressure free season are correct as well.
That being said, I think Eade will find a game or two to play him during the season providing he is fit enough.

alwaysadog
05-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Spot on about the thread and I think your views on Williams being given a pressure free season are correct as well.
That being said, I think Eade will find a game or two to play him during the season providing he is fit enough.

Spot on, exactly what a top coach would do. Remember he got a run in the preseason comp very early on to give him a taste and to measure what he had to do. As soon as he is fit he will get a run and then the rest is up to him.

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Spot on, exactly what a top coach would do. Remember he got a run in the preseason comp very early on to give him a taste and to measure what he had to do. As soon as he is fit he will get a run and then the rest is up to him.

I agree with both of you that Tommy W needs to a pressure free season to regain fitness and form, and really continue learning about the game. So we actually probably need to hold him back with the purpose of letting him get supporter expectations out of his mind and just play. But he is such a tantalising prospect that if he puts it together he will certainly command opportunities.