PDA

View Full Version : 2009's Surprise: L Picken?

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2009, 11:30 PM
For me Liam Picken has been a terrific surprise packet in 2009

Not only has he demonstrated an ability to shut down good opposition players but he is good at winning the hard ball, is a far better runner than I expected, and seems to have pretty good sense for where the goals are.

It's early days but he looks to have a bright future with us - thoughts?

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Totally, been absolutely brilliant for us in a role that has been missing for a while (a genuine shut down tagger).

Kind of picked this in the 'surprise predictions' thread, as Rocket had flagged quite early on that he was next in line to come in if anyone got injured, and reports that he was outrunning Crossy and Boydy in pre-season training was as impressive as anything you'd want to hear.

(Put him in my Supercoach team as one of the reserves at the beginning of the year, and has been a great cash cow).

AndrewP6
25-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Yep, I like his work. Blue collar, tough as nails... a bit of maturity in him too. He's a good one. Nice snap for a goal on Friday too.

Remember when Rocket said late in 07 that they had learnt Sam Power could be a tagger...then traded him?

Rocket Science
25-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Picken's work ethic and defensive abilities aside, I've been pleasantly surprised by his sharpness and timing with the footy more recently, particularly by hand.

He was a real contributor in tight versus Geelong, often involving himself two and three times in extended, rapid-fire passages of play, and didn't look at all out of place in the cauldron against quality opposition. His confidence seems to have grown with each game, and he can clearly contribute both with the footy and without.

Another pretty handy find for us off the rookie list.

Mantis
25-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Another pretty handy find for us off the rookie list.

For a club that has had problems resourcing the cash for rookie listed players meaning we have rarely had the full quota we have picked up some gems. Boyd & Morris are now in our best 6 or 8 players and look to be 200+ game players. Over the past couple of years we have seen the emergence of Harbrow & now Picken who are developing extremely well.

Picken has been a great find, I saw a bit of him last year and he was the un-assuming 'Willi listed' player I didn't play particular attention to as I guess I was more interested in watching the Bulldogs players. He seemed to do his job each week which saw him share the B&F. For him to make a seemless transition to AFL football shows just how hard he must have worked over the pre-season where he won kudos from training 'junkies' like Cross & Boyd.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Nice snap for a goal on Friday too.

He kicked a beauty 55 metre goal in the practice game against St Kilda at Optus in the preseason (in a very bleak game) that gave me the impression that it was only a matter of time before he loaded one up.

I've been pleasantly surprised by his sharpness and timing with the footy more recently, particularly by hand.

His decision making seems to have really developed - he was perhaps a little tentative early but now seems more sure of himself.

Picken has been a great find, I saw a bit of him last year and he was the un-assuming 'Willi listed' player I didn't play particular attention to as I guess I was more interested in watching the Bulldogs players. He seemed to do his job each week which saw him share the B&F. For him to make a seemless transition to AFL football shows just how hard he must have worked over the pre-season where he won kudos from training 'junkies' like Cross & Boyd.

As a new Willi watcher last year he seemed to be one of a host of hard at it accountable types they had but didn't neccessarily stand out unless you probably understood what his instructions were. It's a credit to Willi for backing him the way they have and absolute credit to Picken for working his backside off.

Dry Rot
25-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Presume his next assignment is McVeigh?

Mantis
25-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Presume his next assignment is McVeigh?

McVeigh has gone to Cooney the last few times we have played Sydney. The midfield match-ups will be interesting and I guess we can discuss them in the match preview thread once it is posted.

Mofra
25-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Picken does have quite a bit of Boyd about him.

The training & fitness is one thing, but Clayton said Boyd's quick hands in close were a feature that put him on the radar at Frankston, and Picken has very quick hands as well.

Every year there is a player that surprises, Picken is clearly the surprise this year.

Sedat
25-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Like him on the thick of the action in the middle - he got caught down in the back pocket for a short period on Friday night and had no real idea how to play there. He has been a valuable contributor to our midfield rotations and has definitely allowed someone like Boyd to break the shackles and become a real attacking option for us in the middle.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 06:34 PM
He's been great and has had an immediate impact. Why do you guys think this is? Could it be because he is 22 and played a lot of VFL?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-05-2009, 06:43 PM
He's been great and has had an immediate impact. Why do you guys think this is? Could it be because he is 22 and played a lot of VFL?

No doubt his age and experience in the VFL gives him a better fitness and skills base than a raw 17-or 18 year old.
I think much like other mature recruits like Boydy and Morris, his own personal work ethic is a big factor.

Also like those two the fact he's done it the hard way, probably sees him with a more realistic attitude & focus. That is to say he probably recognises much better than a kid straight out of Under 18's how precarious an AFL career is and therefore is perhaps more committed in his preparation and commitment.

The thing I like about Liam is the quiet way he goes about it, yet this is not meekness, as he is absolutely willing to commit his body to the hard stuff and is obviously not overawed by the occasion and not easily intimidated.

I really hope he continues his development.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Certainly, and I agree with Yankee Foxtrot here. You see it in other sports all the time, where a late maturing player gets a second chance at the top level -- in English soccer, for example, plenty of former Championship players are now playing in the Premiership etc., Real Madrid and Barcelona have players that used to play for lower division sides...

I've always thought it's a shame in our game that there generally is the one dominant way of making it into the system (the draft) with the rookie draft very much a backdoor, and even more so for mature players -- plenty of VFL talent out there would make a decent contribution over some of these young 'uns drafted that will never make it, but while talented youngsters that are drafted are given every chance (even the ones that turn out crap), while gun late bloomers seldom get back into the system. AFL clubs are certainly youth prejudiced in this regard (similar to other draft sports like the NBA I suppose). If a club was willing to top up with top class state level talent every year it would never have to bottom out -- but I suppose you want access to the top couple of kids...

Mantis
26-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Certainly, and I agree with Yankee Foxtrot here. You see it in other sports all the time, where a late maturing player gets a second chance at the top level -- in English soccer, for example, plenty of former Championship players are now playing in the Premiership etc., Real Madrid and Barcelona have players that used to play for lower division sides...

I've always thought it's a shame in our game that there generally is the one dominant way of making it into the system (the draft) with the rookie draft very much a backdoor, and even more so for mature players -- plenty of VFL talent out there would make a decent contribution over some of these young 'uns drafted that will never make it, but while talented youngsters that are drafted are given every chance (even the ones that turn out crap), while gun late bloomers seldom get back into the system. AFL clubs are certainly youth prejudiced in this regard (similar to other draft sports like the NBA I suppose). If a club was willing to top up with top class state level talent every year it would never have to bottom out -- but I suppose you want access to the top couple of kids...

So what was your arguement again? ;)

I guess the way around this is to take your state level players with your later picks such that you can access the best kids with your early one's.

Mofra
26-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I've always thought it's a shame in our game that there generally is the one dominant way of making it into the system (the draft) with the rookie draft very much a backdoor, and even more so for mature players
Whilst true, the Rookie list is becoming a major factor in the AFL system. We had 4 of 22 players last night find their way onto our list via this method which is a fair portion for a team that is 3rd on the ladder. Considering these kids are usually passed over by each club 4-5 times each year after nominating for the draft it's a surprisingly good result.

ralphsclimbing
26-05-2009, 11:22 AM
We had 2 serious needs in the off season.
1...a target up forward
2...a shutdown midfielder to allow Boyd to shine
we got the midfielder in Picken and he is also a really hard nut. His demeanor on the field doesn't change whether he is in pain or dishing it out.
I also have him in my supercoach team and all the experts say sell him while his value is high.....no way. I think he will playout the year very strongly.

NOW>>>>>WHERE IS THE BIG FORWARD...

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Whilst true, the Rookie list is becoming a major factor in the AFL system. We had 4 of 22 players last night find their way onto our list via this method which is a fair portion for a team that is 3rd on the ladder. Considering these kids are usually passed over by each club 4-5 times each year after nominating for the draft it's a surprisingly good result.

Hi Mofra. I was thinking about the Dogs too, but I think we're an exception to the rule in the system, as we've had to think outside the square a bit to get good recruits mainly due to our financial situation previously (not using 100% of the cap) and because Rocket is a lateral thinker. I don't think this is as common a phenomenon at other clubs (is it?)

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 11:49 AM
We had 2 serious needs in the off season.
1...a target up forward
2...a shutdown midfielder to allow Boyd to shine
we got the midfielder in Picken and he is also a really hard nut. His demeanor on the field doesn't change whether he is in pain or dishing it out.
I also have him in my supercoach team and all the experts say sell him while his value is high.....no way. I think he will playout the year very strongly.

NOW>>>>>WHERE IS THE BIG FORWARD...

Check out Willy seniors and reserves. A handful of very good big Dogs forwards (and backmen) developing nicely. We'll see them in the tri-colours soon enough.

mjp
26-05-2009, 12:38 PM
So what was your arguement again? ;)

I guess the way around this is to take your state level players with your later picks such that you can access the best kids with your early one's.

Not a bad plan.

I do think that due to the nature of the Rookie list (able to be elevated in the event of injury) that this is the spot for the 20yo state league player. Ready to go if needed. I actually dont see much point in having skinny kids on the rookie list - what is the value? To me, Picken (and Morris in the past) were great examples of the sort of player who should be targeted - fairly well developed (but still learning), couple of years of senior footy (league or reserves, doesn't matter) with leg-speed.

That way, if there is an injury, we have someone to come in.

ralphsclimbing
26-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Check out Willy seniors and reserves. A handful of very good big Dogs forwards (and backmen) developing nicely. We'll see them in the tri-colours soon enough.

I really like our draft strategy the last 2 years particularly last years....picking up the best available big guy. Cordy we may see a couple of times this year but he is Skiiiiiiiny and any playing time this year will be brief.
Roughy should be a nice strong body.
We need development out of 2007 draft stocks. maybe no one will like me saying it but Jarrad Grant has been dissapointing. I know he had pretty much a year out with OP and that would have slowed his development but he needs to STEP UP TO THE PLATE NOW !!!!!

Mantis
26-05-2009, 01:20 PM
We need development out of 2007 draft stocks. maybe no one will like me saying it but Jarrad Grant has been dissapointing. I know he had pretty much a year out with OP and that would have slowed his development but he needs to STEP UP TO THE PLATE NOW !!!!!

I think you really need to show a little more patience.

Grant will hopefully play 3 or 4 more AFL games this year and with another full pre-season under his belt we would look at him playing 15+ games next year and show further improvement. We won't really see the best from Grant for another 2 or 3 years at which point his fitness will have improved and he would have added some meat to his skinny body.

Twodogs
26-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I think you really need to show a little more patience.

Grant will hopefully play 3 or 4 more AFL games this year and with another full pre-season under his belt we would look at him playing 15+ games next year and show further improvement. We won't really see the best from Grant for another 2 or 3 years at which point his fitness will have improved and he would have added some meat to his skinny body.

^^^^^^
Agreed. Dont forget he was drafted as a 17yo as well. That makes him a year younger than most of his peers.

I'm genuinely excited about Grant-he's got a lot of tools.

Mofra
26-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Agreed. Dont forget he was drafted as a 17yo as well. That makes him a year younger than most of his peers.

I'm genuinely excited about Grant-he's got a lot of tools.
Combined with losing half a season and being naturally skinny, he will take time. His hands are far too sticky to think he won't make it as a senior player, especially given his leg speed for his size.

I'm more excited about Cordy though. I now understand the hype on the kid. Will take time too but he moves like a quick rover.

Twodogs
26-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Combined with losing half a season and being naturally skinny, he will take time. His hands are far too sticky to think he won't make it as a senior player, especially given his leg speed for his size.

I'm more excited about Cordy though. I now understand the hype on the kid. Will take time too but he moves like a quick rover.

Personally I'm just as excited about Roughead. The kid's a natural tap ruckman-always gets the ball to a midfielder. When he bulks up a bit he'll take the comp by storm! Cordy's abilty to pick the ball up from below his knees is outstanding, he will be a ripper!

I'm looking forward to Roughie palming the ball to Cooney/Griffen/Boyd/Ward/etc and the midfielders planting the ball onto the chest of Cordy/Grant/Murphy/etc and another goooaaallllll!!!

Go_Dogs
26-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Not a bad plan.

I do think that due to the nature of the Rookie list (able to be elevated in the event of injury) that this is the spot for the 20yo state league player. Ready to go if needed. I actually dont see much point in having skinny kids on the rookie list - what is the value? To me, Picken (and Morris in the past) were great examples of the sort of player who should be targeted - fairly well developed (but still learning), couple of years of senior footy (league or reserves, doesn't matter) with leg-speed.

That way, if there is an injury, we have someone to come in.

I tend to agree - but at the same time do we want to put speculative, skinny kids on the senior list, where their chances of success are no different, but we have to pay them more $$? Having some like Henry White on the rookie list is ok imo, as long as it's offset with a few ready made type players who can fill a role if we suffer LTI's.

The Coon Dog
26-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Though this may be of interest.

Reward for club rookies (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24556941-23211,00.html?from=public_rss)

By Jon Ralph October 27, 2008

AFL rookies will have greater opportunity to shine next year, with clubs able to automatically elevate a rookie halfway through the season.

As part of the compensation for clubs giving away valuable draft picks to the Gold Coast, all 16 clubs will be allowed two extra rookies in the 2009-10 seasons.

In the past, clubs have had to put a senior-listed player on the long-term injury list for eight weeks to elevate a rookie.

That has seen the unfortunate situation where a well-performed rookie has had to return to the rookie list, and VFL footy, despite showing strong form in the AFL.

Starting next season, if a player has impressed enough a club can decide to elevate him irrespective of the club's injury list.

Clubs without two listed veterans can already nominate a rookie to play during the year, with Carlton rookie Michael Jamieson competing in 16 games last season.

The new ruling will give some clubs as many as two extra players on their list in the second half of the year.

It is another win for rookie-listed players, with some of the stars of the competition coming from the rookie list over the past decade.

Players such as Dean Cox, Brett Kirk, Brad Sewell, Dean Brogan, Tarkyn Lockyer, Ben Rutten and Nathan Foley have all been promoted rookies.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said the rule would help clubs maximise the extra rookies on their lists.

"There will be an opportunity to upgrade a rookie at the halfway mark of the season without having to put someone on the injured list," Anderson said.

"I was just talking to Mick Malthouse at the (International Rules) jumper presentation and of the players here in Perth, 10 have made their way off rookie lists.

"There are a lot of great players among them and it goes to show it is a vital pathway for players that missed out on being drafted."

The Gold Coast club will get access to 16 uncontracted players plus selections 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15 in the 2011 national draft.

Existing clubs will be compensated with a future draft pick for losing an uncontracted star, with a complicated formula to determine the number of the draft selection.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2009, 09:59 PM
^^^^^

Isn't that a great bonus.

Little compensation though for what GC17 will get.

chef
26-05-2009, 10:00 PM
So is it only one rookie TCD?

The Coon Dog
26-05-2009, 10:03 PM
So is it only one rookie TCD?

I see it that way as we have Johnno on the Veteran's List.

Dry Rot
05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
How good has he been tonight?

Sorted Delidio out and then showed what he learnt as a VFL forward.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Has done the job so far tonight, and two goals as well.

Dry Rot
05-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Has done the job so far tonight, and two goals as well.

ABC radio reckons our forward line looks better with him there -> superior defensive efforts + goals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
How good has he been tonight?

Sorted Delidio out and then showed what he learnt as a VFL forward.

Yep. Just keeps learning each week.
I think what is pleasing is that he is adapting to the pace of the game well and just seems quite comfortable with what he needs to do each week.
It's a fantastic story and I think he just may be the type of player we need in the team. The one who week in week out will perform a job, any job the team requires of him.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I have a feling he will be elevated and signed for next year for some reason.

DFA should feel some heat with Picken and Harbrow doing great negating jobs, whilst still attacking and having better disposal.

KT31
06-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Another great thing about Picken is that after all their great father son choices Collingwood didn't pick him up.

Bulldog4life
06-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Another great thing about Picken is that after all their great father son choices Collingwood didn't pick him up.

That's surely worth it's own thread on BF Collingwood Board. :D

hujsh
06-06-2009, 02:22 AM
I have a feling he will be elevated and signed for next year for some reason.

Thanks capt'n obvious;)

Do you predict that the sun will rise tomorrow?

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks capt'n obvious;)

Do you predict that the sun will rise tomorrow?
Only out of Terry Wallaces' arse after the last media conference, and all the press will be on him and not how we played. The articles so far barely mention the dogs turned up.

p.s. - i forgot to emotocon, sarcasm can be hard to read :)

Remi Moses
06-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Another great rookie story,these guys just seem to want it more than some highly touted draft picks.Kudos to Willy for putting up the cash to get picken on the rookie list[coming from a port fan hard to type]:p