PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Priorities

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 09:28 AM
With the looming Gold Coast poaching spree who should we sign up now on long term, lucrative deals. I would be targeting the following 4 players (in priority order) and be willing to pay over the odds to keep them:
1. Cooney
2. Higgins
3. Griffen
4. Williams

Anyone else on the list should be business as usual.

ledge
25-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Would probably have Ward in, not Williams, just because of the injury factor.

westdog54
25-05-2009, 06:33 PM
With the looming Gold Coast poaching spree who should we sign up now on long term, lucrative deals. I would be targeting the following 4 players (in priority order) and be willing to pay over the odds to keep them:
1. Cooney
2. Higgins
3. Griffen
4. Williams

Anyone else on the list should be business as usual.

For me, Williams is still an unproven commodity. If we're to pay above the odds to keep a defender I'd be keeping Lake.

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Would probably have Ward in, not Williams, just because of the injury factor.

There is no way a player like Ward would leave to go to an interstate club, not a chance. He is a local kid from Spotswood, he lives with his family, has his mates here too. No chance.

ledge
25-05-2009, 06:50 PM
There is no way a player like Ward would leave to go to an interstate club, not a chance. He is a local kid from Spotswood, he lives with his family, has his mates here too. No chance.

You miss the point was just a question of what 4 would we like to keep and I would prefer to keep Ward than Williams.

boydogs
25-05-2009, 09:16 PM
You miss the point was just a question of what 4 would we like to keep and I would prefer to keep Ward than Williams.

I intrepeted the question as being who should we sign up on long term deals to avoid them being poached. If Ward is more established in Vic that is a reason why we may not need to put him on a long term deal to keep him. Williams on the other hand is a Queenslander who may be more open to moving

I am happy with the order in the opening post

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I intrepeted the question as being who should we sign up on long term deals to avoid them being poached. If Ward is more established in Vic that is a reason why we may not need to put him on a long term deal to keep him. Williams on the other hand is a Queenslander who may be more open to moving

I am happy with the order in the opening post

Yeah this is how I also interpreted the question :p

LostDoggy
25-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah this is how I also interpreted the question :p

That's right the question is who should we be locking away now. Even if it means committing to too many years and too much money, I would think we could only afford to pay over the odds for a small number of players and 4 seems about right. BTW Williams comes in at 4 because of the GC connection, his upside and his "structural importance" for the team.

Sleeve1970
27-05-2009, 01:11 PM
You know I would hate to say it but I think Higgins will go if the money and condition were right (if his injury doesn't progress). Be a big opp for him and any player that goes up there. I'd think someone of Higgins ability may even get enticed with being the captain..

Hell of a player he is a must to stay with the dogs though he is a future captain.

My thought only..

LostDoggy
27-05-2009, 01:32 PM
You know I would hate to say it but I think Higgins will go if the money and condition were right (if his injury doesn't progress). Be a big opp for him and any player that goes up there. I'd think someone of Higgins ability may even get enticed with being the captain..

Unfortunately I have to agree, I can see it happening too on those terms, but hope like hell that it doesnt! I dont like thinking about it, it makes me nervous and uncomfortable!

Twodogs
27-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree, I can see it happening too on those terms, but hope like hell that it doesnt! I dont like thinking about it, it makes me nervous and uncomfortable!

I'd rather have to cope with that problem than having a list full of duds that no other club wants.