PDA

View Full Version : Can Skipper reinvent Himself as a KPP?

bornadog
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
With Grant out of action and retiring at year end, and the rucks playing well, where does that leave Skipper? Can he be reinvented as a backman to give us some height down there? Against Essendon last year, (round 3 I think), both Morgan and Minson went down which left us short for the rest of the game. I remember Skipper being thrown into the backline and doing well.

If not, what do we do with him?

LostDoggy
04-04-2007, 02:30 PM
With Grant out of action and retiring at year end, and the rucks playing well, where does that leave Skipper? Can he be reinvented as a backman to give us some height down there? Against Essendon last year, (round 3 I think), both Morgan and Minson went down which left us short for the rest of the game. I remember Skipper being thrown into the backline and doing well.

If not, what do we do with him?

I thought Skipper rucked that day and wasn't in the backline.
He was named as a very good player but he rucked against a real novice at the time(Ryder).

GVGjr
04-04-2007, 02:44 PM
He was named as a very good player but he rucked against a real novice at the time(Ryder).

I think you are right because I remember him taking a big mark in defence and holding the ball up. Not sure that Ryder was his opposition though.

In short, I'm yet to be convinced that he could be a viable KP option for us. I was always keen for him to be tried as a CHB but I think he lacks mobility.

Shame he given a chance during the pre-season comp.

W W Biscuit
04-04-2007, 03:02 PM

True. It was the only game that David Hille didn't play all season - so our good luck really. Skipper did perform creditably that day in the ruck.

I think Wayde is probably on his last chance to perform. This is his seventh year on our list. His big challenge will be to break into the senior line up in the first place. Once in there, I don't know whether he is the sort of player who could cope with experimentation. His confidence appears to be so fickle. This is frustrating for supporters, and must be terribly frustrating for him.

Dry Rot
04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I think after 7 years we know the answer.

He'll be joining Walsh, Grant and Monty on our delistings, come season's end.

Robbins and McCormack may be joining them too.

LostDoggy
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I think after 7 years we know the answer.

He'll be joining Walsh, Grant and Monty on our delistings, come season's end.

Robbins and McCormack may be joining them too.
Very premature writing off Robbins.
Kicked 45 last year as a FP then is harshly dropped becuase of balance issues. I highly doubt this will be Robbins last year.

Dry Rot
04-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Very premature writing off Robbins.
Kicked 45 last year as a FP then is harshly dropped becuase of balance issues. I highly doubt this will be Robbins last year.

He'd better hope it's an average draft this year - with the 4 rookie system it's a lot tougher player management set-up now.

His recent lack of versatility may be held against him.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Skipper wont be here next year. I wish he had come on, but he hasn't sufficiently imo.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Robbins and McCormack will both get another year. Skipper, Faulkner, Grant and Monty will be the ones to leave, plus possibly Walsh if he can't get his body right this season.

McCormack is only 20, still very young and a lot of growth ahead, Robbins will play this week, and the majority of the year I would think.

LostDoggy
05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
He'd better hope it's an average draft this year - with the 4 rookie system it's a lot tougher player management set-up now.

His recent lack of versatility may be held against him.
Just because he has played 1 position over the past 2 year does mean he isn't versatile. I'm not sure why at Werribee they plonked him at FP, where he has proven at the level he can run around in midfield and play well. Better for him and the team.
There are at least 5 or 6 candidates that are likely to leave/or be pushed before Robbins.
The ones you mentioned and players like Tiller and Faulkner.
Even if Robbins spends all year at Werribee, I think he has enough runs on the board to survive at least another year.

Dry Rot
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Good point re Tiller - he's done so little I'd completely forgotten about him.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Even if Robbins spends all year at Werribee, I think he has enough runs on the board to survive at least another year.

He'll be back this week. With guys like Johnson, Darcy, McDougall, Murphy etc in the forward line Robbins will have a much easier matchup that he can work in his favor. I'd be shocked if he didn't play this week, his defensive pressure will be crucial against other fast teams who can burn us on the rebound.

Tiller, Baird etc would surely get another year, although if Tiller can't get on the park much due to injury, he'd be in trouble I think.

mjp
05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Just because he has played 1 position over the past 2 year does mean he isn't versatile. I'm not sure why at Werribee they plonked him at FP, where he has proven at the level he can run around in midfield and play well. Better for him and the team.
There are at least 5 or 6 candidates that are likely to leave/or be pushed before Robbins.
The ones you mentioned and players like Tiller and Faulkner.

But what is the point of playing him in the Werribee midfield Ernie? Who cares if he can play midfield at VFL level - it doesn't help him or the Bulldogs if he picks up 50 possessions as an onballer - he will never play that role in the AFL.

He has runs on the board I agree. But if we are moving to a taller forward structure - and it seems we are - then I just dont see where he fits. He can play in basically one spot - permanent forward pocket - and whilst there is a place for that sort of player in most sides, with the way we structure up around Johnno, and Murphy I am not sure how that works now that a Darcy/McDougall has been thrown into the mix. I think we need a crumbing player - that's what the coaches seemed to be trying to get Higgins/Aker to do at various times last week - and I dont think Robbo is it.

As for the others, I think Skipper is a ruckman trapped in a kpp's body, and whilst he is a valuable backup, will never be more than that. He is not going to become a dominant AFL key forward/defender all of a sudden.

Tiller is still very young, and should get one more. I think D-Mac needs to show improvement this year, Cam needs to really jump up and pretty much right away - though I suspect even if he is delisted another club will throw him a lifeline of sorts. As for Walsh, well I have absolutely no idea what the club are thinking with him - I wont even say he has to do anything this year to retain his spot, as I dont really know if that is true.

As for this years draft, well, it is the year of the ruckman. Dave Dickson claims it will be (is - does anyone really believe that 18-20 players haven't already been written in indelible ink?) Vic Metro's strongest team in 10 years, so it will be interesting to see what happens...Clayton might be happy with three picks, plus a rookie elevation (Harbrow depending on his progress).

LostDoggy
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
But what is the point of playing him in the Werribee midfield Ernie? Who cares if he can play midfield at VFL level - it doesn't help him or the Bulldogs if he picks up 50 possessions as an onballer - he will never play that role in the AFL.
Maybe I worded that wrong.
He is much better than a VFL FP. The ball hardly get there and its not helping his fitness or form.
At least he would see the action and touch the ball. If he is not getting touches at AFL level then he won't get many more in the FP at VFL level.

GVGjr
05-04-2007, 08:23 PM

If someone is lacking a bit of touch then I'm all for throwing them into the midfield for the Bees to run them back into form. It doesn't mean he has to play midfield for the Doggies though. The main benefit would be getting a number of kicks and getting more run into his legs than he would otherwise get.

I know you are not necessarily advocating that he should be delisted and I also know that he has slipped down the pecking order a bit but like Ernie I would not be running the marker through his name just yet. I take on board what you said about building a taller forward structure though.