PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs push for NT deal & Dogs chasing interstate cash for home games (3 articles)

BulldogBelle
26-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Interesting times....

Bulldogs push for NT deal (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/bulldogs-push-for-nt-deal/2009/05/25/1243103488018.html)
The Age
Caroline Wilson | May 26, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs have emerged as key players in a potential multimillion-dollar, Tassie Hawks-style deal with the Northern Territory.

Darwin is the latest battleground for struggling AFL clubs desperate to escape poor stadium arrangements, with the Bulldogs confirming last night they were back in negotiations with the NT Government for a five-year, 10-match deal, despite suggestions that the club had hoped to remain in Victoria for home games beyond 2009.

Despite strong misgivings from coach Rodney Eade, chief executive Campbell Rose confirmed the Bulldogs were looking at a two-game-a-year package, something it had pushed for but was overruled on by the AFL, in its last deal that expires at the end of this season.

Melbourne and Port Adelaide are also in the mix to sell home games and play twice each season at Darwin's TIO Stadium. AFL Northern Territory boss Tony Frawley confirmed the push for a five-year deal had support from the AFL and the NT Government, which had four departments looking to help fund a new agreement.

The Bulldogs are understood to be pushing for up to $1.5 million a year for a two-game deal along with sponsorship, and The Age understands that the NT Government has raised its offer to an estimated $1.2 million annually. Hawthorn receives $3 million a year for its four-game deal and jumper sponsorship with Tasmania, an agreement that had its future thrown into question yesterday by the Tasmanian premier.

Rose said the Bulldogs had not abandoned other options such as Geelong or even striking its own deal with the Tasmanian Government.

"We will need to make a decision in the next four weeks," he said. "It's fair to say we're reviewing all of our options including a significantly improved and more complex involvement in Darwin."

Port Adelaide chief Mark Haysman confirmed his club had held preliminary talks with AFL NT. "Port have significant issues with our stadium arrangement at AAMI and that's something we're hoping to review with the SANFL over the coming months," said Haysman.

Frawley said: "We're looking at a long-term agreement similar to the one the Tasmania Government has with Hawthorn. The Western Bulldogs are back in the mix and we are talking to several clubs who have put their hands up.

"Ideally we would look at two home-and-away games each year, along with one NAB Cup game in Alice Springs, along with the indigenous All-Stars game every two years."

Frawley indicated the new deal could include a jumper sponsorship featuring an iconic Northern Territory landmark.

While Rose was cautious about a jumper sponsorship, pointing out the Bulldogs already had a major sponsorship deal with Mission Foods, Port Adelaide and Melbourne could be looking for new jumper sponsors beyond this season.

The Bulldogs would also push for greater independence in any new agreement, having been quashed in their two-game mid-year proposal last time, which had looked at consecutive home games with the mid-season break allowing the club to undertake community work.

AFL executive Gillon McLachlan confirmed the league would consider doubling its home-and-away commitment in the NT next season.

"We like the idea of a long-term commitment and we wouldn't rule out two games," McLachlan said.

Added game development chief David Matthews: "It's a priority market for us. 'The strong indigenous links in the NT mean it is just critical we have a presence."

BulldogBelle
26-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Another article...

Bulldogs again chasing interstate cash for home games (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25539021-19742,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Jon Ralph | May 26, 2009

DAVID Smorgon says the Bulldogs will again have to sell home games interstate next year, and is open to offers to play in Tasmania. The Dogs' three-season deal to play home games in Canberra and Darwin expires this year, but their Etihad Stadium deal means they must continue to pursue lucrative interstate offers.

The Dogs could not have picked a worse time to play their home game against Sydney at Canberra's Manuka Oval, with the Swans in white-hot form.

In Round 12 the Dogs take on Port Adelaide in Darwin, with the two interstate home games reaping them a total of $700,000.

The Dogs would only break even if they played Sydney at Etihad Stadium in front of a crowd of 30,000, so selling home games is the difference between a year-end profit or loss.

With an imminent breakthrough over the club's Etihad Stadium deal unlikely, Smorgon yesterday conceded the club would have to sell home games again next year.

But he is open to offers across Australia, including from Tasmania, western Sydney, and Darwin. The offer to play games at Launceston's Aurora Stadium might rile the Hawks, who believe they have that market cornered.

The Tasmanian Government said yesterday it might throw open its multi-million dollar sponsorship deal once its contract with Hawthorn expired, in the hope of enticing a range of Melbourne clubs to Launceston.

Smorgon said the club's supporters, coaches and players understood the need to play home games interstate, even if it was far from ideal.

The Swans play 11 home games in Sydney and two away games in Canberra -- with one against Melbourne -- while the Bulldogs play only nine home games in Victoria this year.

"Obviously the reason we have had to sell games interstate for the last 12-13 years is to maximise our returns," Smorgon said.

"But our objective is to play as many games in Melbourne as home games as we can," Smorgon said.

"At this stage we haven't had any discussions with the AFL about where we go to from here, given our deals at Canberra and the Northern Territory end this year.

"The AFL do the fixture and at the moment everything is up in the air. We have to be a bit patient until we work out where to next."

He said playing home games in Launceston, western Sydney, Darwin or even Geelong's Skilled Stadium was possible.

"I wouldn't want to speculate on whether one is more of an option than the other," Smorgon said.

"There is a big demand for AFL games around the nation. We are one of the clubs that for many years have always played interstate games, and our fans have got used to it because of the financial benefit they give us."

He hoped the club may one day be able to play low-drawing games at Etihad Stadium and still make money.

"Maybe it could run as a low-cost stadium (for interstate rivals) and we might be able to play those games there, but it's not up to us," he said.

Smorgon is the spokesman for the AFL working party pushing for better deals at the MCG and Etihad Stadium.

The group met Victorian Premier John Brumby on Thursday to discuss their concerns.

"We had a cordial discussion with the Premier, who I believe understands the issue," Smorgon said.

"We weren't seeking a resolution. That would have been unrealistic, but we are keeping the lines of communication open and pushing our case."

Mantis
26-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Until we get a better deal with ES or are able to move games to another Vic venue I have no problem with us selling games interstate.

Much prefer watching the games on TV than the alternative of the club going bust.

The Coon Dog
26-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Until we get a better deal with ES or are able to move games to another Vic venue I have no problem with us selling games interstate.

Much prefer watching the games on TV than the alternative of the club going bust.

Couldn't have said it better.

azabob
26-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Im not so sure Mantis, my initial reaction is no. What has changed from approx 5 odd weeks ago when the club was saying this is our last year of selling games? 5 years is a long time to enter into an agreement such as this. Im also concerned with our on field results in Darwin and the few weeks afterwards.
It is so frustrating that we are continueally in this position of needing to sell home games. I'd prefer to play home games at Kardina Park if we need to sell games.

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I am really disapointed that we have to do this again. Darwin takes a huge physical toll on the players, and IMHO is one of the reasons we drop off at the second half of the season.

I think the real reason is that our membership is so pathetic this year, we just have too many sit on the fence supporters, it is really disappointing:(

Selling games to Skill Stadium would be a compromise I could live with.:)

firstdogonthemoon
26-05-2009, 09:45 AM
It is the lesser of two evils. But it is still evil. I would prefer to play at Kardinia park (not against Geelong though).

aker39
26-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I have no problem with this, provided the club gets the deal that it wants.

That is, 2 games in a row in Darwin, followed by the week off after that (split round).

Also, my request would be not to play Port Adeliade there.

Give us a true home ground advantage and play another Melbourne team up there.

Mofra
26-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Would prefer 1 game in Darwin, 2 at Skilled, or 3 at Skilled against interstate sides.

We should still have a home ground advantage of sorts at Skilled against interstate sides, especially after we play ther a couple of times.

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Does this mean we have will have a big ugly NT logo on our jumpers? :S

Other than that, we need $$$ and this is a great alternative than getting nada off ES

hujsh
26-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I have no problem with this, provided the club gets the deal that it wants.

That is, 2 games in a row in Darwin, followed by the week off after that (split round).

Also, my request would be not to play Port Adeliade there.

Give us a true home ground advantage and play another Melbourne team up there.
We sell the interstate games so we don't lose money to ES. Playing a Melbourne club would be a financially ridiculous decision.

hujsh
26-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Im not so sure Mantis, my initial reaction is no. What has changed from approx 5 odd weeks ago when the club was saying this is our last year of selling games? 5 years is a long time to enter into an agreement such as this. Im also concerned with our on field results in Darwin and the few weeks afterwards.
It is so frustrating that we are continueally in this position of needing to sell home games. I'd prefer to play home games at Kardina Park if we need to sell games.

5 weeks ago we'd make a $15,000 profit playing Port at ES. Now we'd lose about $135,000 isn't it?

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Um, Caroline Wilson, where in all of the interviews did Rodney Eade say that he had 'strong misgivings'? If you're pulling together inferences from half-lines from previous interviews I would suggest that you take a leaf out of Jon Ralph's book and actually interview the protaganists now and use up-to-date quotes.

I just can't believe the rubbish level of journalism involved. I didn't read the article with any preconceptions -- I hadn't noticed who the reporter was, but I jumped when I read that line because it was so obviously a shit-stir, and then immediately knew who wrote it, which was confirmed when I looked at the byline. So, so predictable.

Dazza
26-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Might just be me but I quite like the NT games. The crowds always fun. If it's going to help keep the club alive I don't really mind. The two games in a row in Darwin with the week off afterwards for community work is the ideal deal. I've noticed more and more doggies supporters there each year on tv as well. Can only be a good thing until the Etihad stadium deals can be worked out. (which I don't believe is possible for a good while yet)

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't really like this. Doesn't it make it harder for our club every season having to travel to Darwin and play in such extreme heat?

Does that mean I'll lose another game of sitting in my reserved seat at Etihad and be forced into general admission at an away game? If so, I don't really like it. We will probably lose members in Melbourne or people reducing their memberships to cheaper ones. Sure it's going to help the club financially, but why can't we just get a better deal at Etihad?

azabob
26-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Um, Caroline Wilson, where in all of the interviews did Rodney Eade say that he had 'strong misgivings'? If you're pulling together inferences from half-lines from previous interviews I would suggest that you take a leaf out of Jon Ralph's book and actually interview the protaganists now and use up-to-date quotes.

I just can't believe the rubbish level of journalism involved. I didn't read the article with any preconceptions -- I hadn't noticed who the reporter was, but I jumped when I read that line because it was so obviously a shit-stir, and then immediately knew who wrote it, which was confirmed when I looked at the byline. So, so predictable.

Latern are you saying that Rodney Eade is 100% behind our club selling home games? I understand why we sell games but I'd prfere to keep them in Melbourne.
Surely he'd want all our home games to be played in Melbourne not interstate.

Sedat
26-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Darwin should continue to be developed as our 'home away from home', and I love the idea of playing there 2 rounds in a row followed by the mid-season break (with community camps and local activity through the week to further develop this relationship). We need to invest more time and resources into this alignment, so that it continues to provide us with significant commercial advantages. But more importantly, by engaging the local community so that they can develop a personal affinity with our club, playing consistently in Darwin over time will also provide us with a genuine on-field and crowd support advantage.
The likes of Canberra and the SCG provide little more than a cash grab, and do not provide anything sustainable in relation to engaging the market or providing an on-field advantage to the team (quite the opposite in fact, as we invariably play Sydney in these markets). I wouldn't like us to explore Tassie either because Hawthorn has already captured the hearts and minds of the market - one more interstate move and we will suffer the North syndrome of gypsies and nomads that have failed to make any market a true home away from home. We've put a stake in the ground at Darwin, so we should continue to foster and develop this market to its fullest potential.

For the long-term health of our club, I hope we continue to work towards a sustainable model that maximises the Darwin alliance and cements the long-term relationship with the NT Govt.

Twodogs
26-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Might just be me but I quite like the NT games. The crowds always fun. If it's going to help keep the club alive I don't really mind. The two games in a row in Darwin with the week off afterwards for community work is the ideal deal.

Darwin should continue to be developed as our 'home away from home', and I love the idea of playing there 2 rounds in a row followed by the mid-season break (with community camps and local activity through the week to further develop this relationship). We need to invest more time and resources into this alignment, so that it continues to provide us with significant commercial advantages. But more importantly, by engaging the local community so that they can develop a personal affinity with our club,

Yep, strongly agree with these posts. Darwin has a lot of advantages over the other venues:

1/ It's ours, no other club plays up there and the locals love their footy. Playing up there on a regular basis will give us a pocket of support and mybe even extra memberships.

2/ It's a home ground that we could learn to play well at and turn it into 'Fort Marrarra' A proper home away from home where we can pencil in at least two wins at the start of the season

3/ The locals love football already

4/ The local economy is booming-lot's of money making/sponsorship opportunities.

This is an opportunity for the club, it shouldnt be seen as a problem.

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Latern are you saying that Rodney Eade is 100% behind our club selling home games? I understand why we sell games but I'd prfere to keep them in Melbourne.
Surely he'd want all our home games to be played in Melbourne not interstate.

I'm not saying if Rocket will like it or not, I'm just saying that if you're going to write in a newspaper that he has 'strong misgivings' you should bloody well ask him and quote him instead of just writing it as an insinuation based on half-truths.

I think Eddie McGuire summed it up best when he said about Caroline Wilson that she 'confuses (her own) opinion with fact'. She certainly doesn't distinguish between the two, which is deceitful and dishonest journalism at worst, incompetent rubbish at best.

aker39
26-05-2009, 02:25 PM
We sell the interstate games so we don't lose money to ES. Playing a Melbourne club would be a financially ******** decision.

Fair enough. Then play Brisbane or Adelaide up there.

Port Adelaide have quite a few aborginal players and I think they love playing up there.

hujsh
26-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Port Adelaide have quite a few aborginal players and I think they love playing up there.

That's a fair point. Port play there about as much as we do

azabob
26-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not saying if Rocket will like it or not, I'm just saying that if you're going to write in a newspaper that he has 'strong misgivings' you should bloody well ask him and quote him instead of just writing it as an insinuation based on half-truths.

I think Eddie McGuire summed it up best when he said about Caroline Wilson that she 'confuses (her own) opinion with fact'. She certainly doesn't distinguish between the two, which is deceitful and dishonest journalism at worst, incompetent rubbish at best.

Yep I agree that is a fair call.

azabob
26-05-2009, 03:21 PM

No not Port!! They play well up there as they are quicker than us and they use the ball really well.

Sedat
26-05-2009, 03:31 PM
That's a fair point. Port play there about as much as we do
With the introducion of Gold Coast and West Sydney into the competition, there will be 8 interstate teams that we can rotate through the 2 matches a year in Darwin so that none of them can truly get comfortable playing there - Port should be excluded from playing there for at least the next 4 years, as their Round 12 match there will be the 4th time they've played us in Darwin (out of the 6 matches we've played there in total since 2004) - and Port lead us 2-1 head to head in Darwin. I wouldn't be against us playing Melbourne and the Kangeroos there on occasions either - that's 10 clubs we can rotate through Darwin as opponents without having to compromise our financial position by using any of the higher drawing Melbourne based teams.

hujsh
26-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Sedat, we were actually agreeing that we shouldn't play Port.

Sedat
26-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Sedat, we were actually agreeing that we shouldn't play Port.
I know, I was just delving into more detail as to how the opposition can be rotated through without any of them getting comfortable with the ground and the conditions.

hujsh
26-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I know, I was just delving into more detail as to how the opposition can be rotated through without any of them getting comfortable with the ground and the conditions.

Soz that should be addressed to bobmurphy.

comrade
26-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I’ve felt strongly about this for some time and even commented on it previously. Allow me the indulgence of quoting myself from an earlier thread:

My only concern is that we’ll continue to be football nomads, moving from location to location trying to secure the best short term offer. If we are forced to sell home games, why not continue to play in Darwin and truly embrace it? Put our resources into making it a genuine home away from home in the same vein as Hawthorn and Tasmania. Obviously there are a number of differences in that comparison (distance, climate, costs involved) but (prior to Hawthorn moving in) both Launceston and Darwin are passionate football cities, don’t get regular elite football and don’t have a major team to support.

Why not play 2 or 3 games there a year, sell Darwin memberships and have players and coaches go up there regularly and put on clinics for the locals. Hell, maybe we could film a weekly kids show (sponsored by Mission of course) out of the Elite Learning Centre and beam it to Darwin.

Until stadium deals improve (and with Collins at the helm, it’ll be a while) we are forced to sell home games – I can live with that. But let’s maximize the opportunity and do it right, not just give a token effort and grab the cash before running off to the next stadium that offers a good deal.

LostDoggy
26-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I’ve felt strongly about this for some time and even commented on it previously. Allow me the indulgence of quoting myself from an earlier thread:

I remember your previous post and agree with the bulk of it. I'm sure the club are already thinking along those lines, but I don't think there'll be any harm in emailing someone in club administration to let them know what the fans are thinking.

The Pie Man
26-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I can't remember a home game of ours this year at ES that was smaller than 40,000

Ideally, we'd re-sign a deal that can give us some cash for this attendance figure as 40,000 is well over the breakeven point, and play some interstate clubs at Geelong (15,000 crowd, $300,000 profit, actual home ground advantage an hour down the road ...uhh that's a no brainer) until somewhere like Visy Park is redelevoped.

The renegotiation on the ES deal is clearly the sticking point, and should we bottom out and start to average 30,000 or less at home games we'll be writing out cheques to Collins - still...let's say we get $600,000 for 2 games of 15,000 in Geelong as opposed to $1mil at Darwin/Canberra and the distinct possibility of losing both games on our travels and risking further fatigue/exhaustion from Darwin.

bornadog
26-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Yep, strongly agree with these posts. Darwin has a lot of advantages over the other venues:

1/ It's ours, no other club plays up there and the locals love their footy. Playing up there on a regular basis will give us a pocket of support and mybe even extra memberships.

2/ It's a home ground that we could learn to play well at and turn it into 'Fort Marrarra' A proper home away from home where we can pencil in at least two wins at the start of the season

3/ The locals love football already

4/ The local economy is booming-lot's of money making/sponsorship opportunities.

This is an opportunity for the club, it shouldnt be seen as a problem.

If we are going to sell home games this post from TD, makes sense.

Skilled Stadium = money in the bank for Geelong and some for us

Darwin = Huge money in the bank for WB, plus opportunity for more membership. Hawks have 6000 Tassie members, through 4 games a year. At least by having two games plus the community involvement we may be able to get some members.

I have been up to Darwin twice and its great fun. The first year I went up, I was down near the harbour where the ferries come in, and a ferry had just pulled in from one of the Islands, I think it was the Tiwi Islands. I couldn't believe my eyes, seeing all these local Tiwi Islands wearing bulldog jumpers, it was a great site.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/tiwiislands.jpg

alwaysadog
26-05-2009, 10:50 PM
A few weeks ago when we said we weren't wanting to continue in Darwin I said we were just upping the ante re the bottom line and that seems to be the case.

As far as the female Age journalist is concerend you just have to read the second para carefully and look at the adjectives to see it is a piece with all her usual asperations and false assumptions. I stopped at that point; I might be a dog supporter but unlike her I don't enjoy or practise chasing my own tail.

KT31
27-05-2009, 12:04 AM
It is the lesser of two evils. But it is still evil. I would prefer to play at Kardinia park (not against Geelong though).

The AFL will give us much more to play games interstate than we could earn playing at Kardinia Park.

If we where to play two in a row in Darwin it would give our supporters a chance to stay for a week.
Why don't the Dogs approach the NT tourism bureau like the Hawks did to Tassie and get a sponsorship ?

You will never, ever know until you give the Bulldogs a go !

alwaysadog
27-05-2009, 09:50 AM
The AFL will give us much more to play games interstate than we could earn playing at Kardinia Park.

If we where to play two in a row in Darwin it would give our supporters a chance to stay for a week.
Why don't the Dogs approach the NT tourism bureau like the Hawks did to Tassie and get a sponsorship ?

You will never, ever know until you give the Bulldogs a go !

We have been working with various parts of the NT govt for some years. the idea of two games a week apart was a joint NT tourism/Bulldogs idea I understand, for the very reason you suggest.

When it first surfaced some 2-3 years ago there was some debate about where it would fit in the calender so it didn't cut across other high tourist times like school holidays and neither the AFL nor the NT Govt were ready to put their hands in their pockets.

It will be interesting to see if the Gold Coast and Sydney's West are still an almost total preoccupation, or if a national perspective is now possible.

Stefcep
27-05-2009, 03:17 PM
With so many interstate away games when West Sydney and Gold Coast come in, and these interstate home games, i think it will be to the detriment of the Bulldogs connection with its Victorian supporter base. Not to mention the fact that it will have a negative impact on our on-field performance.The elephant in the room is that the AFL screwed up big time with its contractaul arrangements with Docklands. Its ridiculous that the biggest national sport has nowhere for many of its Clubs to play so that they don't lose money playing.

Nowhere else in the world does such inept mismanagement from a competitions governing body happen. Take for example the EPL: most soccer clubs don't get a gate of 40,000 week in week out ( the biggies do, but most don't), but none lose money if they don't. But EPL Clubs own and re-develop their own grounds. Its just bad management and bad planning by the AFL for allowing Princess Park, Western Oval, and even Windy Hill go downhill and not developing them . My old man always said: never rent- buy and own your own place, that way you're not at the mercy of the landlord. Same principle applies here.

azabob
27-05-2009, 03:37 PM
With so many interstate away games when West Sydney and Gold Coast come in, and these interstate home games, i think it will be to the detriment of the Bulldogs connection with its Victorian supporter base. Not to mention the fact that it will have a negative impact on our on-field performance.The elephant in the room is that the AFL screwed up big time with its contractaul arrangements with Docklands. Its ridiculous that the biggest national sport has nowhere for many of its Clubs to play so that they don't lose money playing.

Nowhere else in the world does such inept mismanagement from a competitions governing body happen. Take for example the EPL: most soccer clubs don't get a gate of 40,000 week in week out ( the biggies do, but most don't), but none lose money if they don't. But EPL Clubs own and re-develop their own grounds. Its just bad management and bad planning by the AFL for allowing Princess Park, Western Oval, and even Windy Hill go downhill and not developing them . My old man always said: never rent- buy and own your own place, that way you're not at the mercy of the landlord. Same principle applies here.

I am very concerned this has raised it's head again. Normally I support the club and its decision 100% but this one I am struggling with. I honestly thought this issue was closed, as that is the message they have portrade to me through the media that Intersate Home Games will be no longer after 2009.
If we keep selling our home games we will not be taken seriously by the AFL, opposition clubs, supporters and the media.

Now alot of you will say I'd prefer to have a club than no club at all and I agree. But
I'd prefer to play all home games in Victoria and give us a greater chance of winning a grand final and have no money in the bank, rather than have money in the bank and be mediocre.

Stefcep
27-05-2009, 04:13 PM
We were first told to move interstate or fold, then it was to merge or fold. Seems to me this just the same thing going around, but alittle bit sweeter

alwaysadog
27-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I am very concerned this has raised it's head again. Normally I support the club and its decision 100% but this one I am struggling with. I honestly thought this issue was closed, as that is the message they have portrade to me through the media that Intersate Home Games will be no longer after 2009.
If we keep selling our home games we will not be taken seriously by the AFL, opposition clubs, supporters and the media.

Now alot of you will say I'd prefer to have a club than no club at all and I agree. But
I'd prefer to play all home games in Victoria and give us a greater chance of winning a grand final and have no money in the bank, rather than have money in the bank and be mediocre.

Bob, I'd like us to travel as little as the pies do, but better I'd like their balance sheet where writing off $3m in badly run hotels is no problem. The fact is we are in the greatest danger if we don't at least balance our books, remember 1989. I don't think there is anything but survival in this and rather than not being taken seriously for the Darwin experiment I think it helps our credibilty considerably. As for dire premonitions, these are only the preliminary negotiation stages and we may get beaten to the tender, so it's a bit early to get too upset.

Finally you present us with a dichotomy which needs considering, but I'm not sure it's an accurate one. No one I know of has said that the presence of games in Darwin is a major factor in the winning or losing of a Premiership. I'm not even sure how much more difficult it is to manage the Darwin trip than the Perth trip.

I haven't talked about it with the current conditioning mob but their predecessors thought after some trial and error they could manage the recovery aspects well enough.

Sedat
27-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Less than 12 months ago, North boldly stated that they would prefer to die on their feet than live on their knees - 3 Etihad home matches in a row against interstate clubs and they might just get their wish.

Hell, I could live with 2, even 3 matches in Darwin a season if it meant I had a club to continue to support in this competition. Canberra, Sydney and Tasmania are not markets that we have willingly nurtured - Darwin is. Let's make it our 2nd home, and reap the benefits accordingly.

azabob
27-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Bob, I'd like us to travel as little as the pies do, but better I'd like their balance sheet where writing off $3m in badly run hotels is no problem. The fact is we are in the greatest danger if we don't at least balance our books, remember 1989. I don't think there is anything but survival in this and rather than not being taken seriously for the Darwin experiment I think it helps our credibilty considerably. As for dire premonitions, these are only the preliminary negotiation stages and we may get beaten to the tender, so it's a bit early to get too upset.

Finally you present us with a dichotomy which needs considering, but I'm not sure it's an accurate one. No one I know of has said that the presence of games in Darwin is a major factor in the winning or losing of a Premiership. I'm not even sure how much more difficult it is to manage the Darwin trip than the Perth trip.

I haven't talked about it with the current conditioning mob but their predecessors thought after some trial and error they could manage the recovery aspects well enough.

Alwaysadog, your posts always provide interesting reading and always another perspective on things. I understand the reasonings behind it all and heavens forbid we re-visit 1989. As you said lets wait and see what is proposed and finally settled on.
In regards to the travel factor and recovery that is an unknown, but having said that truely great teams (West Coast early 90s) overcome all hurdles in their way.

KT31
27-05-2009, 06:49 PM

I also think she writes rubbish about the Bulldogs and other clubs to take the spotlight off her under performing club.

Stefcep
27-05-2009, 08:24 PM
But why exactly are we in this situation? I believe getting 35,000 to a home and away club game is a great result, hell the NRL chiefs would be losing control of their sphincters if their clubs could do this. So why can't we make money, why do we have to go to Darwin? Its because of the AFL's deal with the Docklands management ie it not out club's fault. And as the club said that we wouldn't be playing home games interstate after this year, and the fact its back again means that the both the club and AFL didn't expect this. The AFL should make up the dollar shortfall when we don't make a profit at Docklands.

And make no mistake it will have an impact on our on-field results: 2 trips to West Australia, two to Adelaide, probably 4 to NSW, two to Queensland and at least 2 in Darwin, thats 12 interstate games per year. Thats not far off what the Eagles had to do in the past. The Eagles were far weaker when they played away than home for a long long time. Even then it took all of their resources, concessional draft picks etc to win a premiership.

hujsh
27-05-2009, 10:21 PM
And make no mistake it will have an impact on our on-field results: 2 trips to West Australia, two to Adelaide, probably 4 to NSW, two to Queensland and at least 2 in Darwin, thats 12 interstate games per year. Thats not far off what the Eagles had to do in the past. The Eagles were far weaker when they played away than home for a long long time. Even then it took all of their resources, concessional draft picks etc to win a premiership.

Unless we sold every possible match and played every interstate team twice we wouldn't play twelve. BTW i don't think they're looking at selling games to Sydney again, just playing home games in Darwin against say Brisbane or Port

BulldogBelle
28-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Dogs, PT Adel and Melbourne all throwing their hat in the ring...

AFL teams vie to play in NT (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/05/27/54135_ntsport.html)
Northern Territory News
GREY MORRIS
May 27th, 2009

DARWIN'S TIO Stadium could be hosting two AFL premiership matches from 2010.

Negotiations between the Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, the NT Government and the AFL to sell their home games and move north are set to be finalised as early as next month.

Financial backing from the government as high as $1.5 million a year for the two matches is being sought by the clubs.

The Bulldogs, who play their sixth "home" game in Darwin next month, have done an about-turn on playing in Darwin past 2009.

The poor stadium deal they have with Etihad Stadium in Melbourne has forced them to start looking at Darwin, Tasmania and a joint sharing arrangement with Geelong.

Significantly, Port Adelaide and Melbourne have strong NT and indigenous connections with the Burgoynes and Motlops at Port Adelaide and Aaron Davey, Austin Wonaeamirri and Matthew Whelan at the Demons.

A new five-year, 10-match deal, with the successful club selling two home games in Melbourne or Adelaide, is under discussion.

AFLNT boss Tony Frawley confirmed last night the three-way contest to play home games in Darwin was close to completion.

"We're talking to all three of them and it's very pleasing to see the interest being generated," he said.

"Obviously the ordinary stadium deals the clubs are getting has started all this. And, importantly, we want a club with the right motivation who will sell the Territory's brand in all the right ways."

NT Sports Minister Karl Hampton stopped short of discussing any monetary deals.

"The AFL and the clubs recognise what outstanding facilities we have in the Territory," he said.

"While we value the relationship with the Doggies, we will be strongly seeking the best possible deal for Territory footy fans."

Frawley said the two-game deal meant the annual February NAB Cup pre-season fixtures in Darwin would become the sole domain of Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

The Territory link would be further enforced with a map of the NT, Uluru, Kakadu or a saltwater crocodile to be worn on guernseys and jumpers.

azabob
28-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Unless we sold every possible match and played every interstate team twice we wouldn't play twelve. BTW i don't think they're looking at selling games to Sydney again, just playing home games in Darwin against say Brisbane or Port

We would still be looking at around 8 interstate trips per year.

hujsh
28-05-2009, 12:30 PM
We would still be looking at around 8 interstate trips per year.

That will happen regardless of Darwin which is really only one trip because we stay there two weeks.