PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Terry Wallace

Twodogs
27-05-2009, 05:04 PM
This week Terry Wallace brings up a combined 500 games as a coach and a player at senior AFL level. That is a great achievement and as a large proportion of those games were at our great club I'd like to be the first to say congrats to Plough on his landmark.

Terry's jaw was broken in his first game for us and he played the week after, he won the B&F in his first two seasons, he took us to two prelims in a row-the first and only coach to do so. Forget about the way it ended, when you rack up his deeds at the club the positive side far outweighs the negative.

Congratulations Terry Wallace, great journey and thanks for all the fish.

The Coon Dog
27-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Well said Twodogs.

I have mentioned it before, but in 1995 I had a young draftee live with me for a year & he played a fair bit of reserves football under Terry Wallace, so I got to know him a bit.

I was as disappointed an anyone here in the manner that Plough departed our club & I reckon its something he himself deeply regrets.

My gut feel is that this week, particularly if they aren't competitive against Freo over in Perth, will be his last game as coach, meaning we may be up against a new coach Friday week.

Go_Dogs
27-05-2009, 06:51 PM
My gut feel is that this week, particularly if they aren't competitive against Freo over in Perth, will be his last game as coach, meaning we may be up against a new coach Friday week.

Let's hope they win this week then. Playing against the new coach in their first game is never a good thing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Well said Twodogs.

I have mentioned it before, but in 1995 I had a young draftee live with me for a year & he played a fair bit of reserves football under Terry Wallace, so I got to know him a bit.

I was as disappointed an anyone here in the manner that Plough departed our club & I reckon its something he himself deeply regrets.

D'oh!! we're up against the New Coach Syndrome.. the condition where hitherto underperforming players grow an extra couple of inches, get 5% stronger, and whose ball skills,decision making and endeavour levels all ratchet up a notch...

If it happens and Wallace does vacate after this weekend... this will be a danger game for sure.

1eyedog
27-05-2009, 08:18 PM
This week Terry Wallace brings up a combined 500 games as a coach and a player at senior AFL level. That is a great achievement and as a large proportion of those games were at our great club I'd like to be the first to say congrats to Plough on his landmark.

Terry's jaw was broken in his first game for us and he played the week after, he won the B&F in his first two seasons, he took us to two prelims in a row-the first and only coach to do so. Forget about the way it ended, when you rack up his deeds at the club the positive side far outweighs the negative.

Congratulations Terry Wallace, great journey and thanks for all the fish.

Pity he destroyed all of that when he chose to leave us though. My ex-best mate used to drive me to go fishing, lent me his car to drive interstate, was always around for a beer or a game of indoor cricket. Would pay for me out of his pocket when I had no money. Then he slept with my girlfriend at the time. Kinda like how I feel about Plough really. Thanks Terry, but leave all the fish at the door on the way out please.

Topdog
27-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Round 12 will be his last game IMO.

Well done on a great achievement though Plough.

Cyberdoggie
27-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I guess he did do a lot for the club,

however it would bring a smile to my face if his last game as coach of Richmond was against the Bulldogs, at the the hands of a pantsing. :p

Scraggers
28-05-2009, 01:21 AM
As much as I dislike Wallet, 500 games as both player and coach is a tremendous achievement.

Congrats Terry, I hope you receive all the praise deserved of such a outstanding acomplishment

Desipura
28-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Pity he destroyed all of that when he chose to leave us though. My ex-best mate used to drive me to go fishing, lent me his car to drive interstate, was always around for a beer or a game of indoor cricket. Would pay for me out of his pocket when I had no money. Then he slept with my girlfriend at the time. Kinda like how I feel about Plough really. Thanks Terry, but leave all the fish at the door on the way out please.
Says less about your girlfriend at the time than Plough, but I get your point.

Desipura
28-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Well said Twodogs.

And what did this young draftee (goalsneak who busted his ankle against Brisbane, Scott Allen for memory) have to say about Wallace?

The Coon Dog
28-05-2009, 10:28 AM
And what did this young draftee (goalsneak who busted his ankle against Brisbane, Scott Allen for memory) have to say about Wallace?
No, not Scott Allen.

I never asked what he thought about x, y or z at the club.

The Pie Man
28-05-2009, 02:09 PM
This is a top achievement, over 10 years as a senior AFL coach is a tremendous effort.

His health at the minute is one of those 'it's only a game' reminders for me. I felt for him recently, and that says something about the pressure he was under as I like plenty of Dogs fans lost respect for him after he left, but to hear he lost 4 kgs in a matter of days was really alarming.

His legacy will be this 500 achievement and a few flags with Hawthorn as a tough, inside midfielder. Plenty don't bow out of elite footy with a record as good as that..... and I can't resist..it will be better than Nathan Brown's record....sorry, the hatchet's nearly buried.

Well done Plough anyway.

macca
29-05-2009, 02:36 AM
If is going to happen, it will be round9, or round 18 . richmond are past their first hoodoo of nine.

Desipura
29-05-2009, 09:44 AM
He has lost 4 kilo's in a week, so what! In every day life people have stress in their life and lose weight and their health is affected as a result. And they do not earn anywhere near the $500k + that Wallace is on.
When he is out of a job in a few weeks, he can buy himself a yacht (if he has not gone one already) and watch the days go by.:D

AndrewP6
29-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmm.. 500 games as a player or coach... pardon me while I stifle a yawn. best credit I'll give him is that he's been able to spin enough s*** to keep his job all this time whilst doing bugger all at Tigerland. Looking forward to his imminent arrival on one of the footy programs, when he gets kicked to the curb at Punt Rd. As for the 4kg weightloss, he may just have backed off on the hair product and tanning lotion.

Jasper
29-05-2009, 09:43 PM
This is a top achievement, over 10 years as a senior AFL coach is a tremendous effort.

His health at the minute is one of those 'it's only a game' reminders for me. I felt for him recently, and that says something about the pressure he was under as I like plenty of Dogs fans lost respect for him after he left, but to hear he lost 4 kgs in a matter of days was really alarming.

His legacy will be this 500 achievement and a few flags with Hawthorn as a tough, inside midfielder. Plenty don't bow out of elite footy with a record as good as that..... and I can't resist..it will be better than Nathan Brown's record....sorry, the hatchet's nearly buried.

Well done Plough anyway.
I wasn't happy to see the way Plough left us but thats water under the bridge now and it's a shame to see and hear so many of our supporters treating him like garbage. He did a lot for our club and I can't hang him for a few mistakes.
500 games is a significant achievement

AndrewP6
29-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I wasn't happy to see the way Plough left us but thats water under the bridge now and it's a shame to see and hear so many of our supporters treating him like garbage. He did a lot for our club and I can't hang him for a few mistakes.

We're just treating him the way he treated our club. Funny that the year he's certain to lose his job is the one where he comes out and says how he feels bad about the way he ended his time at the Bulldogs. He's full of it.

boydogs
29-05-2009, 10:53 PM

There is a difference between mistakes as in accidents and mistakes as in regretting what you did 5 years later. I think its hard to accept his words as genuine given the delay and the circumstances in which they were delivered, rather than an apology it seemed more like he was pleading to be allowed to coach out the season because he has already been through one less than graceful exit, so we should be sorry for him and not put him through that again

I can appreciate his achievements at our club, but I think the list development question is legitimate, Richmond are not in good shape now and he only did well for us at the start with the list he inherited

Remi Moses
29-05-2009, 11:01 PM
There is a difference between mistakes as in accidents and mistakes as in regretting what you did 5 years later. I think its hard to accept his words as genuine given the delay and the circumstances in which they were delivered, rather than an apology it seemed more like he was pleading to be allowed to coach out the season because he has already been through one less than graceful exit, so we should be sorry for him and not put him through that again

I can appreciate his achievements at our club, but I think the list development question is legitimate, Richmond are not in good shape now and he only did well for us at the start with the list he inherited

Here here. my exact sentiments. Gee some on here are very very forgiving:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
29-05-2009, 11:04 PM

you are what you sow fella and Wallet treated the club in particular David Smorgon like GARBAGE

The Pie Man
29-05-2009, 11:04 PM
He's conceded publicly that this is his last year as a coach.

I read on the AFL website an interview he gave today - the best (and most interesting swipe at some premiership coaches who have had a supposed 'armchair ride') bits are here

Your proudest achievement in footy?
It would have to be being best and fairest in a premiership year (Hawks, 1983). All the other awards are nice, I suppose, but to be voted the best player in the team that won the flag – by the people at the club - can’t be topped.

And your lowest moments?
The game is about winning grand finals, so two games stick out for me – being four goals up at three quarter time gives you a reasonable expectation of winning, and the Dogs managed that in the preliminary in 1997 against Adelaide, and they turned it on to win it and deny us a grand final after we hadn’t been there for so long.

As a player, the 1984 grand final against Essendon – we led by that four goals at the last change, and they kicked nine goals to two in the last to beat us. That was shattering as well.

How do you feel about not winning a flag as a coach?
There's no doubt that it's a case of being in the right place at the right time. I have a winning record against several premiership coaches so I am confident in my abilities.

The two clubs I have taken over were 15th or 16th so I never received an armchair ride like some have been fortunate enough to get.

comrade
29-05-2009, 11:31 PM

I read on the AFL website an interview he gave today - the best (and most interesting swipe at some premiership coaches who have had a supposed 'armchair ride') bits are here

It would have to be being best and fairest in a premiership year (Hawks, 1983). All the other awards are nice, I suppose, but to be voted the best player in the team that won the flag – by the people at the club - can’t be topped.

Interesting that his proudest achievement wasn't actually winning a premiership, but winning an individual award.

AndrewP6
29-05-2009, 11:47 PM

And your lowest moments?
The game is about winning grand finals, so two games stick out for me – being four goals up at three quarter time gives you a reasonable expectation of winning, and the Dogs managed that in the preliminary in 1997 against Adelaide, and they turned it on to win it and deny us a grand final after we hadn’t been there for so long.

As a player, the 1984 grand final against Essendon – we led by that four goals at the last change, and they kicked nine goals to two in the last to beat us. That was shattering as well.

How do you feel about not winning a flag as a coach?
There's no doubt that it's a case of being in the right place at the right time. I have a winning record against several premiership coaches so I am confident in my abilities.

The two clubs I have taken over were 15th or 16th so I never received an armchair ride like some have been fortunate enough to get.

Unpublished last question - Name your favourite person in the world?
Answer - No doubt, Terry Wallace.

GVGjr
30-05-2009, 12:06 AM
We're just treating him the way he treated our club. Funny that the year he's certain to lose his job is the one where he comes out and says how he feels bad about the way he ended his time at the Bulldogs. He's full of it.

Two wrongs fixes everything does it?

AndrewP6
30-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Two wrongs fixes everything does it?

No, but I'm not out to save the world...just don't think very highly of the man.

BulldogBelle
30-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I prefer to remember him as a very courageous player.

AndrewP6
30-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I prefer to remember him as a very courageous player.

I was only a kid when he was playing so I can't recall him in that era, all I have is his coaching work to go on.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Interesting that his proudest achievement wasn't actually winning a premiership, but winning an individual award.

Good pick up. I think it sums him up pretty well.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I have no issues with our fans congratulating him and all that but honestly speaking, I am glad that he has failed as coach of the Tigers.

GVGjr
30-05-2009, 01:05 AM
No, but I'm not out to save the world...just don't think very highly of the man.

It's easy to write off people but Terry Wallace should be remembered for a lot of the good things he did for the club. Nobody liked the way that he left the club and yes he put a lot of spin on things but he played a lot of games for us, coached the reserves to a premiership and did some remarkable things for our side as a senior coach. You don't have to like him but his record as a player and coach deserves respect.

ratsmac
30-05-2009, 01:06 AM
If Wallet did leave us when he did, that means Peter Rhode wouldn't have had the opportunity to coach us into the ground and we wouldn't of got the likes of Cooney or Griffen in the draft, so thanks for that Plough ;-)

BulldogBelle
30-05-2009, 01:29 AM
It's easy to write off people but Terry Wallace should be remembered for a lot of the good things he did for the club.

He introduced a lot of new ideas and innovations into the club and participated in a lot of media work promoting the Bulldogs trying to raise our profile. Good luck to him on his milestone this week. I too, wasn't exactly thrilled with the way he departed but as Ben Cousin's midriff says ...Such is Life.

Remi Moses
30-05-2009, 01:43 AM
The facts are his coaching from about 98 onwards was bloody dreadful. Look at the recruiting band aid efforts [wont go through the names again!]had the job at Sydney [while still coaching us] then whored himself out to Elliot and Carlton. Ask David Smorgon what he thinks of Terry?Just a quick reminder we had some very good young footballers in the late 90's

Remi Moses
30-05-2009, 01:49 AM
He introduced a lot of new ideas and innovations into the club and participated in a lot of media work promoting the Bulldogs trying to raise our profile. Good luck to him on his milestone this week. I too, wasn't exactly thrilled with the way he departed but as Ben Cousin's midriff says ...Such is Life.

Pleeeease the media work was to promote himself ,panelist on ''The Couch'' column space in the Hun. Look i'll concede he was very good early [warm ups on the ground] interviews while the game is in progress. But what irks me is that he never wears any responsibility when his team fails

The Adelaide Connection
30-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I actually feel embarrassed to read a lot of the posts on this thread. So much mud gets slung on various opposition supporters, like the continual bashing of the Aami crowds and the poor record of some of the Collingwood faithful, but if this is the mentality of some of our most loyal supporters (which forumites often are) then I believe we have a lot to answer for.

This is a congratulatory thread for an amazing football achievement. There are other threads for Wallace bashing. We get that he is unliked. We get that people are bitter. But FFS you would think that you would be able to focus on the blokes positive side on such a thread for such an achievement.

He has done a lot of wonderful things for the game we love and many, many of those things at our club. So count to five, take some deep breaths, put the blowtorch down and raise a glass for a bloke that has achieved something that much less than 1% achieve.

Well done Terry.

BulldogBelle
30-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Pleeeease the media work was to promote himself ,panelist on ''The Couch'' column space in the Hun.

Maybe so, but he also raised the profile of the club. I know I definitely liked seeing our club getting a little more attention at the time.

Look i'll concede he was very good early [warm ups on the ground] interviews while the game is in progress.

Yeah, he was good with getting those warm ups and the interviews happening.

Remi Moses
30-05-2009, 02:19 AM
I actually feel embarrassed to read a lot of the posts on this thread. So much mud gets slung on various opposition supporters, like the continual bashing of the Aami crowds and the poor record of some of the Collingwood faithful, but if this is the mentality of some of our most loyal supporters (which forumites often are) then I believe we have a lot to answer for.

This is a congratulatory thread for an amazing football achievement. There are other threads for Wallace bashing. We get that he is unliked. We get that people are bitter. But FFS you would think that you would be able to focus on the blokes positive side on such a thread for such an achievement.

He has done a lot of wonderful things for the game we love and many, many of those things at our club. So count to five, take some deep breaths, put the blowtorch down and raise a glass for a bloke that has achieved something that much less than 1% achieve.

Well done Terry.

Raise a glass of West End maybe. :p:p

The Adelaide Connection
30-05-2009, 03:09 AM
Raise a glass of West End maybe. :p:p

:) ha ha, I will pay that. The truth is I would rather go thirsty than drink that trash though (or VB for that matter ;))

The Pie Man
30-05-2009, 09:39 AM
It's easy to write off people but Terry Wallace should be remembered for a lot of the good things he did for the club. Nobody liked the way that he left the club and yes he put a lot of spin on things but he played a lot of games for us, coached the reserves to a premiership and did some remarkable things for our side as a senior coach. You don't have to like him but his record as a player and coach deserves respect.

Maybe I should have posted the whole interview : along the congratulatory line, the below was a question on his media work, and the last line in italics I 100% agree with. His work from 97 on was crucial to our profile - I remember him attacking a journalist at a press conference (I think after the Sydney game Rd 2 97) for writing something negative about us and I thought 'there's someone passionate about where we're going'

I also think it's funny that he thinks the Year of the Dog helped - great doco, not exactly positive though was it? Very good mark of a moment in time to see how far we've come.

Media-friendliness – you really changed the whole coach-media dynamic, didn’t you?
Well, I was a bit different to a lot of the old-style coaches – they were very suspicious of the media, and the people they trained learned the same things, so nothing really changed, But I had worked for several years at Channel 9, and so I approached it from a different viewpoint.

I had to be media-friendly, and take it to a new level, both for the game and the club (Western Bulldogs). I believe that as custodians of the game that while we have to win games, of course, it also has to be a game that people want to watch, to come and see, so the better you sell it, the better it works.

When I went to the Bulldogs we had no profile at all – nobody knew the club, nobody knew any of our players. I was there during the making of ‘Year of the Dog’ documentary and that really helped put us in the spotlight and get people to take notice of us.

But we had to do it to survive.

comrade
30-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I've actually met a number of people who became Bulldogs supporters after watching Year of the Dog, particularly Fitzroy fans who were looking for a new team to invest in.

GVGjr
30-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I've actually met a number of people who became Bulldogs supporters after watching Year of the Dog, particularly Fitzroy fans who were looking for a new team to invest in.

Gluttons for punishment? :) I have met a few as well in fact I think a couple of WOOF members started off as Fitzroy supporters.

LostDoggy
30-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Same here. It seems that whenever someone leaves the club for greener pastures a high portion of our supporters take the opportunity to bag them for life.
The question is where do you draw the line?
Guys like Gary Dempsey an Tony McGuinness left us for improved opportunities. Same with Mick Malthouse. Libertore hasn't been overly graceful since he left us either.
I was sorry and in some cases shitty to see all of them go but I don't hold it against any of them especially when they achieve a milestone like Wallace has.

It seems to me that because we are a club that is starved for success for so long our supporters compensate by getting their thrills by sticking the boot into others that also fall short of the mark. It probably says more about us than it does about the players and coaches that departed us.

LostDoggy
30-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Have to agree BB, and also I'm of an age who can remember him as a player, and he was very courageous. I think he has some weaknesses as a coach, given the list at Richmond seems alot like the one he left us with!

Also need to pick you up on one thing - do you really think Ben Cousin's has a midriff - I was thinking more along the lines of a washboard stomach, or 6-pack :D

BulldogBelle
30-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I think he has some weaknesses as a coach, given the list at Richmond seems alot like the one he left us with!

Yes, there are a few similarities.

Also need to pick you up on one thing - do you really think Ben Cousin's has a midriff - I was thinking more along the lines of a washboard stomach, or 6-pack

But of course you are right and from a female perspective side of things (me) I definitely agree. ;)

The Adelaide Connection
30-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Gluttons for punishment? :) I have met a few as well in fact I think a couple of WOOF members started off as Fitzroy supporters.

I was a Fitzroy supporter. I was only about 15 but I think "year of the dog" was certainly a big reason that I gravitated to the dogs after their demise. Lets face it, the film crew could have just as easily chosen to do "year of the lion" and it would have been a very similar documentary with just a different, much sadder ending.

Jasper
30-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Well done to TW a gutsy and hard fought win in game number 500 is well deserved.

Remi Moses
31-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Same here. It seems that whenever someone leaves the club for greener pastures a high portion of our supporters take the opportunity to bag them for life.
The question is where do you draw the line?
Guys like Gary Dempsey an Tony McGuinness left us for improved opportunities. Same with Mick Malthouse. Libertore hasn't been overly graceful since he left us either.
I was sorry and in some cases shitty to see all of them go but I don't hold it against any of them especially when they achieve a milestone like Wallace has.

It seems to me that because we are a club that is starved for success for so long our supporters compensate by getting their thrills by sticking the boot into others that also fall short of the mark. It probably says more about us than it does about the players and coaches that departed us.

Improved opportunities in what regard? Dempsey left to play in a flag . mcguiness said he would have stayed if Adelaide didn't enter the competition.The facts are it's not about games coached it's about winning premierships and having successful sides. Wallace has sent Richmond backwards whatever spin anyone wants to put on it. I get irked the way Wallace never takes any responsibility for his list. remember his self indulgence back in 2005 [the list I created]Strangely quiet in years 2003 and 2004. This is my last comment on the matter,bitter probably but not with a short memory

Remi Moses
31-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Well done to TW a gutsy and hard fought win in game number 500 is well deserved.

Yeah against Freo with no bench :rolleyes::rolleyes: Let's toast an opposition coach

The Coon Dog
31-05-2009, 12:14 AM
This is my last comment on the matter,bitter probably but not with a short memory
11.07pm

Yeah against Freo with no bench :rolleyes::rolleyes: Let's toast an opposition coach
11.09pm

That didn't last long! :D

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Never forgive him for the way he left the club, but will always remember what he did for me in 1998.

Max469
31-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Congratulations to Terry on a remarkable feat.

I like everyone else was not happy in the way he left the club, but it is time to move on.

I was a big fan of his as a player and was rapt we recruited him.

As a coach he was like all coaches, there are good times and bad times. We definitely had both with Terry.

We have a lot to be thankful to him for.

I remember last years Prelim. Final, I was getting coffee for friends at the National Sports Museum and on my way back - a voice came from the escalator going up - "Hello - good luck tonight - I hope the Dogs win". My reply - Thanks Terry - good luck to you too.

Good luck Terry.

FrediKanoute
31-05-2009, 05:53 AM
I have no issues with our fans congratulating him and all that but honestly speaking, I am glad that he has failed as coach of the Tigers.

Realistically, he is not alone as a failed Tigers coach. So many good coaches have taken on the Tigers mantle over the last 30 years and failed. Does it say something about the club rather than the person?

Personally what TW did to the doggies was pretty awful, but time heals everything and sometime soon its time to build a bridge and get over it. I´m not advocating welcoming him back into the fold, but there is no shame in recognising the contribution he made to the doggies as a player and as a coach.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Wallace sold his soul to the devil, like Faustus to Mephistopheles. Wallace and Brown have lived out this myth. I think myths like this can be activated both from within the person and within the community, like pointing the bone. Wallace and Brown have had the antichrist's talons in them since they betrayed the community that nurtured them for greed and self promotion.
Before that they were great.., except perhaps Brown's cold characterless pale pale blue eyes betrayed his heartlessness.

The Adelaide Connection
31-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Wallace sold his soul to the devil, like Faustus to Mephistopheles. Wallace and Brown have lived out this myth. I think myths like this can be activated both from within the person and within the community, like pointing the bone. Wallace and Brown have had the antichrist's talons in them since they betrayed the community that nurtured them for greed and self promotion.
Before that they were great.., except perhaps Brown's cold characterless pale pale blue eyes betrayed his heartlessness.

HA!

"....the antichrists talons in them..."

"characterless pale blue eyes betrayed his heartlessness...".

This is possibly the most ridiculous post I have read yet.

It's football champ, get over it. People leave jobs that have poured resources into them all the time (training them and developing their skills etc.). Are these people also doing lucifers bidding?

I heard a rumour that Judd was sighted eating human hearts...RIGHT OUT OF THEIR CHESTS! You see he was given an opportunity at a club that gave him the captaincy and even put him in the position to get a special medallion around his neck. When times got a little rocky he jumped ship, traded his bible in for a pitchfork and has never looked back.

Oh and before you say it, I know that Judd left with a little more class but people make mistakes and Wallace has been repeatedly quoted as he doesn't want to go out like he did last time. Learning from your mistakes is a big part of life.

I am glad the Tigers got a win up for Terrys 500th. Well done on a mostly great career so far.

ledge
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
The plus i see in the win is he is coaching next week, if he didnt maybe he would have got turfed and we all know what happens the first game a new coach takes over, they win!

The Coon Dog
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Richmond have called a 12pm press conference for today.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Richmond have called a 12pm press conference for today.
God i hope you're joking on the win the next week after a dumping a coach rule.

Mantis
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I have just heard that Richmond will announce that this week will be Wallace's final game as coach.

Guess we will find out shortly if it's true.

Sedat
01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I have just heard that Richmond will announce that this week will be Wallace's final game as coach.

Guess we will find out shortly if it's true.
Confirmed - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77977/default.aspx

bornadog
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Confirmed - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77977/default.aspx

Just announced officially at press conference.

ledge
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
there goes Terry!

chef
01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Apology accepted Terry

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
It should be a cracker of a game this week! Full of passion. Lets give them a hiding:D

Twodogs
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Improved opportunities in what regard? Dempsey left to play in a flag . mcguiness said he would have stayed if Adelaide didn't enter the competition.The facts are it's not about games coached it's about winning premierships and having successful sides. Wallace has sent Richmond backwards whatever spin anyone wants to put on it. I get irked the way Wallace never takes any responsibility for his list. remember his self indulgence back in 2005 [the list I created]Strangely quiet in years 2003 and 2004. This is my last comment on the matter,bitter probably but not with a short memory

All the extra cash North were offering came in handy when he made the decision as well. Demspey said he left to play in a flag side, in much the same way Wallace couldnt take the list he had any further.

Desipura
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Twodogs, I spent the weekend with a mate of yours Alby Schmedts (not the footballer)

Twodogs
01-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey Twodogs, I spent the weekend with a mate of yours Alby Schmedts (not the footballer)

Yep, I know who you mean. Great guy, fanatical supporter. Knows his footy inside out.

Desipura
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Yep, I know who you mean. Great guy, fanatical supporter. Knows his footy inside out.

Yes Kenno is a great man, only just met him through my brother. Sure knows his footy. In fact, one Two Dogs actually text him during the game on the weekend.

The Coon Dog
01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes Kenno is a great man, only just met him through my brother. Sure knows his footy. In fact, one Two Dogs actually text him during the game on the weekend.

I think Twodogs would have texted half our membership on Saturday! :D

Twodogs
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM

I wanted to know where Huddo had disappeared to!

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
HA!

"....the antichrists talons in them..."

"characterless pale blue eyes betrayed his heartlessness...".

This is possibly the most ridiculous post I have read yet.

It's football champ, get over it. People leave jobs that have poured resources into them all the time (training them and developing their skills etc.). Are these people also doing lucifers bidding?

I heard a rumour that Judd was sighted eating human hearts...RIGHT OUT OF THEIR CHESTS! You see he was given an opportunity at a club that gave him the captaincy and even put him in the position to get a special medallion around his neck. When times got a little rocky he jumped ship, traded his bible in for a pitchfork and has never looked back.

Oh and before you say it, I know that Judd left with a little more class but people make mistakes and Wallace has been repeatedly quoted as he doesn't want to go out like he did last time. Learning from your mistakes is a big part of life.

I am glad the Tigers got a win up for Terrys 500th. Well done on a mostly great career so far.

You fail to understand. The mention of 'antichrist' is too much for your feeble brain. Others understand my rhetoric, and they are my intended audience.

The Adelaide Connection
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
You fail to understand. The mention of 'antichrist' is too much for your feeble brain. Others understand my rhetoric, and they are my intended audience.

No I understand your intended rhetoric, just think it is ill-conceived, bitter, and childish.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
No I understand your intended rhetoric, just think it is ill-conceived, bitter, and childish.

Everything you say is a reflection of yourself.
You are obviously affronted by the challenge to your metaphysics. Things may not be as you assume. It may be that betrayal is an archetype that Wallace and Brown manifest and that it is more than "People leave jobs that have poured resources into them all the time". You presume that I am bitter about this and that is my point. No it is not about loyalty being 'bought'.. by resources poured into them, it is about what is in the psyche of people who betray loyalty. If one feels they have been bought by resources being poured into them, that's not loyalty. If however, as I'm asserting is the case with Brown and Wallace, one turns one back on one's community (football clubs are not yet just an arm of the corporate world, and when they are I'm out of here) then there is an innate archetype that can unfold. The individual unconscious and the collective unconscious of the community knows a wrong has been perpetuated and unconsciously responds. The Wallace and Brown cases both fit the bill. Both their football identities have been tarnished within the wider football community and the individuals have self destructed to an extent.

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
You are obviously affronted by the challenge to your metaphysics. Things may not be as you assume. It may be that betrayal is an archetype that Wallace and Brown manifest and that it is more than "People leave jobs that have poured resources into them all the time". You presume that I am bitter about this and that is my point. No it is not about loyalty being 'bought'.. by resources poured into them, it is about what is in the psyche of people who betray loyalty. If one feels they have been bought by resources being poured into them, that's not loyalty. If however, as I'm asserting is the case with Brown and Wallace, one turns one back on one's community (football clubs are not yet just an arm of the corporate world, and when they are I'm out of here) then there is an innate archetype that can unfold. The individual unconscious and the collective unconscious of the community knows a wrong has been perpetuated and unconsciously responds. The Wallace and Brown cases both fit the bill. Both their football identities have been tarnished within the wider football community and the individuals have self destructed to an extent.

Methinks someone's been reading the thesaurus.:confused:

The Adelaide Connection
02-06-2009, 01:16 AM

HA! It gets better and better, now I am enjoying this. You are just challenging that I am "affronted by the challenge to my metaphysics" because you think I won't know what you are talking about. Which, my well read friend, as you suggest would mean that you are in fact "affronted by the challenge to your metaphysics" as, like you suggest, "everything you say is a reflection of yourself". This can also be summarised more simply in "I know you are, you said you are, so what am I." ;)

Aristotle aside, perhaps Wallace and Brown are writing the Idiots guide to pulling off a lifelong journey of betrayal, but they left one club (one very dear to the forumites on this sites heart granted) and to start throwing out such a conspiracy would be jumping the gun a little.

Teaching is an example of a profession where it does extend into the local community and where there are cases of teachers moving from one school to another, for a variety of reasons such as money, opportunity, or even purely for the change. This can be after they have had "resources poured into them", which doesn't necessarily mean money but can be opportunity, knowledge and experience.

By your model, these teachers are turning their backs on their community and an innate archetype can unfold. The collective unconscious of the community should respond right? Their identities will be tarnished? No. The principal would wish them well and after dealing with the disappointment of losing the staff member would promptly set about to replacing them and moving on. I am sure every now and then their is a sour taste in someones mouth.

My question to you is would you have rathered Wallace and Brown to stick around for the rest of their careers at the Western Bulldogs, (or Farren Ray, Power, McMahon etc.) if their hearts weren't in it anymore?

Welsh and Hudson bailed on the Crows at a time when their careers were starting to stagnate and both needed a fresh approach and chased longer deals. Both have been playing some of the best footy of their careers, as is Farren Ray for St.Kilda.

We may not understand it, but for some reason or another Wallace decided he didn't want to be here anymore and though he did it in a very poor way and should have handled it better, I actually applaud him for moving on if his passion for our club was waning. Hanging around could have been disastrous for our club too.

Too often people go through life sticking with what is comfortable and not taking a risk to chase what would make them really happy. I hope that if I wake up tomorrow and no longer enjoy what I am doing I take steps to rectify it or have the balls to try something else.

Sockeye Salmon
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
HA! It gets better and better, now I am enjoying this. You are just challenging that I am "affronted by the challenge to my metaphysics" because you think I won't know what you are talking about. Which, my well read friend, as you suggest would mean that you are in fact "affronted by the challenge to your metaphysics" as, like you suggest, "everything you say is a reflection of yourself". This can also be summarised more simply in "I know you are, you said you are, so what am I." ;)

Aristotle aside, perhaps Wallace and Brown are writing the Idiots guide to pulling off a lifelong journey of betrayal, but they left one club (one very dear to the forumites on this sites heart granted) and to start throwing out such a conspiracy would be jumping the gun a little.

Teaching is an example of a profession where it does extend into the local community and where there are cases of teachers moving from one school to another, for a variety of reasons such as money, opportunity, or even purely for the change. This can be after they have had "resources poured into them", which doesn't necessarily mean money but can be opportunity, knowledge and experience.

By your model, these teachers are turning their backs on their community and an innate archetype can unfold. The collective unconscious of the community should respond right? Their identities will be tarnished? No. The principal would wish them well and after dealing with the disappointment of losing the staff member would promptly set about to replacing them and moving on. I am sure every now and then their is a sour taste in someones mouth.

My question to you is would you have rathered Wallace and Brown to stick around for the rest of their careers at the Western Bulldogs, (or Farren Ray, Power, McMahon etc.) if their hearts weren't in it anymore?

Welsh and Hudson bailed on the Crows at a time when their careers were starting to stagnate and both needed a fresh approach and chased longer deals. Both have been playing some of the best footy of their careers, as is Farren Ray for St.Kilda.

We may not understand it, but for some reason or another Wallace decided he didn't want to be here anymore and though he did it in a very poor way and should have handled it better, I actually applaud him for moving on if his passion for our club was waning. Hanging around could have been disastrous for our club too.

Too often people go through life sticking with what is comfortable and not taking a risk to chase what would make them really happy. I hope that if I wake up tomorrow and no longer enjoy what I am doing I take steps to rectify it or have the balls to try something else.

Holy crap!

I reckon Gia done good.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Holy crap!

I reckon Gia done good.

Mate, where's Lantern when you need him?

ledge
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Fact is Terry done bad and he admitted it, from what he has said in his press conference it sounds very good towards us, lets read between the lines here...

He obviously found out Richmond are nowhere near the club we are.. in the community and as a club, he has learnt loyalty is important (one thing he probably lacks)

He spent more time praising us than the other 2 clubs he was involved in, which i find a compliment to us but probably a bit strange as he won premierships at one as a player in a very good team.

As much as he sucked and apologized the one thing stood out from all of it, in his eyes The Western Bulldogs were the club he found the best.

The Adelaide Connection
02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Holy crap!

I reckon Gia done good.

Ha ha gold. :D

Sorry, it did turn into a bit of an essay didn't it?:o

BornInDroopSt'54
02-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Changing clubs doesn't always mean betrayal. Nor does changing schools for a teacher. Wallace and Brown both betrayed the Bulldogs. They both left a club that was loyal to them, at which they were experiencing success, for greedy selfish motives of grander success. Something within them and us knew they were immoral.

Happy Days
02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Changing clubs doesn't always mean betrayal. Nor does changing schools for a teacher. Wallace and Brown both betrayed the Bulldogs. They both left a club that was loyal to them, at which they were experiencing success, for greedy selfish motives of grander success. Something within them and us knew they were immoral.

People don't barrack for schools, people don't pay money to watch schools play each other in education, etc.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
People don't barrack for schools, people don't pay money to watch schools play each other in education, etc.

That's right. Barracking means loyalty. Barracking means your heart is in it, whether you like it or not. Business.. there's no heart involved, so no expectations of loyalty.