PDA

View Full Version : Robert Murphy:Meeting the mob's withering gaze

BulldogBelle
27-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Murph's article this week...

Meeting the mob's withering gaze (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/meeting-the-media-mob/2009/05/27/1243103592922.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)
The Age
Bob Murphy | May 28, 2009

THIS week's column may be the last to leak from the pen of R.D. Murphy. I fear I may soon be chased into hiding — or worse, disappear forever.

For I am about to uncover a group so feared that until today it has remained nameless, even to a degree faceless. I speak of the football mafia.

The football mafia is the hierarchy of former great players from great teams, who proved themselves time and time again, who excelled in games where the temperature rose to epic proportions, and who now cast a watchful eye over the next generation, passing judgement on which teams and individuals are worthy and which are not.

By now you will be forming your own thoughts of who I'm talking about. My only advice is to think long and hard before pointing the finger, because there are more than a few football personalities posing as men with mob connections, when in reality they are simply not in their league. I know what I'm on about here — I've seen The Sopranos.

I'm speculating, but my best guess is that you only gain entry to the football "mob" once your career has ended and, having been watched by the mafiosos throughout your career, you are given the golden handshake or some sort of secret signal of acceptance. From there a reserved seat is placed at the table of football greatness.

Only those lucky enough to be welcomed to the group know who these mafia bosses are. But I've been doing some private eye work, and have found they have taken up some very important posts in the football world. Just like any secret society, they have infiltrated the very highest positions of power in the AFL, its clubs and the media.

Having spent last Friday night doing the media rounds before the game, I glanced along the radio press boxes and, as I expected, it was littered with men whom I believe are big players in the underworld of the football mafia. As a true outsider to the mob myself, I studied the faces and body language of these bosses to see if there was a secret language that could be decoded, but alas these imposing figures have been in the business of secrecy far longer than I've been trying to uncover them.

Friday night's pre-game interviews were a pretty standard affair, with the usual questions and answers. It was the subtext that caught my attention though, and gave a brief glimpse of what the mafia might discuss behind closed doors, away from pests like myself. There was, in my opinion, a definite undertone of doubt hanging over my Bulldogs.

I could see right into the eyes of some of these "Dons", and to a man they had all-but reserved seats in their company for the men from this mighty team from Geelong once they have hung up their boots. For my Bulldogs, meanwhile, there was a general look of doubt and cynicism.

I'll come back to the game itself shortly, but first I'd like to take you back to another time, another face-to-face meeting with the mob. An angry mob.

It was the Monday or Tuesday night after the first final of 2008, and with our Bulldogs soundly beaten by eventual premier Hawthorn, myself and a few teammates went along to a function run by the AFLPA to recognise the league's most valuable player.

To be frank, we felt like being anywhere else, as our performance had been quite embarrassing. Our season, which had burned brightly with promise for most of the year, was now one game away from being another disappointment.

As we arrived we kept close, our eyes remained low. With each glance up it became obvious that the entire who's who of the football world would be in attendance, and I got my first glimpse of the football mafia.

Fitting with the Hollywood stereotype of mafia bosses in suits, these men carried a presence in the room that no one talked about but everyone knew was there. By now my teammates and I had been separated in the crowd, and I was left feeling alone and vulnerable, like a baby panda disconnected from the safety of numbers.

As I desperately tried to find my table, I bumped straight into a man who I knew was very high up in the mob, and may even have been a Don. He asked me about the game and my own form, but again it was in the subtext that I could hear him saying, "You and your team are weak and unworthy."

Shaken, I spun on my heels to get out of there, but could feel several other sets of eyes on me. I now know they belonged to other mafia bosses, all of them keen for their chance to say the same thing.

Friday night's game was a classic, and while clearly the mafia are still undecided on my Bulldogs, they must at least have acknowledged that the performance was worthy of their respect. But we know only too well that only repeated showings of an even greater quality — with the whole football world watching — will earn us a seat at the big table.

Mantis
28-05-2009, 07:59 AM
It was the Monday or Tuesday night after the first final of 2008, and with our Bulldogs soundly beaten by eventual premier Hawthorn, myself and a few teammates went along to a function run by the AFLPA to recognise the league's most valuable player.

To be frank, we felt like being anywhere else, as our performance had been quite embarrassing. Our season, which had burned brightly with promise for most of the year, was now one game away from being another disappointment.

As we arrived we kept close, our eyes remained low. With each glance up it became obvious that the entire who's who of the football world would be in attendance, and I got my first glimpse of the football mafia.

Fitting with the Hollywood stereotype of mafia bosses in suits, these men carried a presence in the room that no one talked about but everyone knew was there. By now my teammates and I had been separated in the crowd, and I was left feeling alone and vulnerable, like a baby panda disconnected from the safety of numbers.

As I desperately tried to find my table, I bumped straight into a man who I knew was very high up in the mob, and may even have been a Don. He asked me about the game and my own form, but again it was in the subtext that I could hear him saying, "You and your team are weak and unworthy."

Shaken, I spun on my heels to get out of there, but could feel several other sets of eyes on me. I now know they belonged to other mafia bosses, all of them keen for their chance to say the same thing.

Friday night's game was a classic, and while clearly the mafia are still undecided on my Bulldogs, they must at least have acknowledged that the performance was worthy of their respect. But we know only too well that only repeated showings of an even greater quality — with the whole football world watching — will earn us a seat at the big table.

1. I know Murf regularly takes the micky out of the situation and this first bit may or may not have even actually happened, but what is wrong about looking the 'football mafia' in the eyes and being strong in the face of adversity? Don't shy away from the fact you were piss poor, show a little bit of resolve and take the glares front on.

2. It will and it starts again on Saturday at 2.10. If we don't come out strong all the respect we gained through last weeks performance will quickly be washed away.

Scraggers
28-05-2009, 09:22 AM
1. I know Murf regularly takes the micky out of the situation and this first bit may or may not have even actually happened, but what is wrong about looking the 'football mafia' in the eyes and being strong in the face of adversity? Don't shy away from the fact you were piss poor, show a little bit of resolve and take the glares front on.

2. It will and it starts again on Saturday at 2.10. If we don't come out strong all the respect we gained through last weeks performance will quickly be washed away.

Agreed ... because of last week's effort, this week's game has turned into a mini final ... perform well, and the season is back on track; perform badly and the chinks in the armour get another run through the media circus

Dazza
28-05-2009, 11:25 AM
All of this has flown right over my head.

Is he talking about premiership players?

azabob
28-05-2009, 12:05 PM
All of this has flown right over my head.

In a word Yes. Retired players who now do special comments who have been there and done it and know what it takes.

Sedat
28-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Some have even won "5 day and 5 night" premerships, so we've been told ad nauseum.

azabob
28-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Some have even won "5 day and 5 night" premerships, so we've been told ad nauseum.

Seriously though, he really struggles to get his point of view across or communicate his message.
I really think if he coached his players would've struggled to understand what he wanted them to do.

Sedat
29-05-2009, 05:01 PM
When players write simple articles we complain that they're Captain Obvious, when they write like Bobby does we say they're obtuse. Can't win, can you.

Obviously it's not to everyone's taste, but I hope Murph doesn't 'dumb down' his articles just so more people understand him. There is more than enough populist AFL journalism out there, something quasi-intellectual from the likes of Murph or Martin Flanagan once in a while is a refreshing change of pace.

Ps. Agree that he would be a confusing coach though!
I think bobmurphy (poster, not player) might be referring to Dermott Brereton there Lantern, as I was with my '5 day and 5 night' jibe. Brereton was the first person that came into my head as I was reading Murph's article about the football mafia.

LostDoggy
29-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I think bobmurphy (poster, not player) might be referring to Dermott Brereton there Lantern, as I was with my '5 day and 5 night' jibe. Brereton was the first person that came into my head as I was reading Murph's article about the football mafia.

OH MY BAD. :( Will delete post immediately.

azabob
29-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification Sedat. I certainly meant Dermott.

For what its worth I love Murphy's writing and view on the world and Martin Flanangan well he is the one of the better writers in general to ever grace our newspapers. I certainly enjoyed Martin's book Southern Sky, Western Oval even though I had to re read it as I was only 12 at the time to fully appricate it.
Flanangans articles on Melbourne this year are also very good as is his weekly column. I really hope one day Flanangan interviews Rob Murphy as Im certain they appricate each others writing.
Think I may drop an email to Martin requesting him to do so.
FYI I think the only "Football Mafia" we should pay attention to is Mark McClure on ABC radio.

LostDoggy
29-05-2009, 07:48 PM
It's interesting that reporters are now calling Robert Murphy "Bob Murphy":D

BulldogBelle
30-05-2009, 12:12 AM
It's interesting that reporters are now calling Robert Murphy "Bob Murphy":D

It's actually the other way round - Robert Murphy wanting to call himself Bob Murphy he mentioned this on 3AW last week. Although, he said he wasn't fussed if people called him Rob, Robert or Bob.

Number 3
30-05-2009, 11:49 PM
FWIW I think Bob was talking about the bullshit of having to earn respect as a person by deeds on the footy field. It doesn't matter what happens on a footy field, everyone's equal, but some people think they walk on a higher plane than others [I]because[I] they've won premierships etc. Unfortunately they are the boofheads that we have to listen to/watch in the media and are regarded as the AFL 'powerbrokers'.

Murph, you and the doggies don't need to win a flag to win my respect, but geez it would be nice if you did...