PDA

View Full Version : Subiaco crowd

LostDoggy
30-05-2009, 11:53 PM
What was all that booing of Cousins about? Just pathetic.

Hot_Doggies
30-05-2009, 11:56 PM
No worse then when Dogs played Eagles in 2007.

Remi Moses
31-05-2009, 12:11 AM
What about the Cousins carry on to the inhouse camera. Appalling behaviour

G-Mo77
31-05-2009, 12:38 AM
What was all that booing of Cousins about? Just pathetic.

I'll be booing next week, can't stand the guy! Great player but an absoloute tool of a human being.

AndrewP6
31-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Respect Cousin's efforts to get back on deck. But I don't much like him. Here's to a Tiger-slaying next week!

Scraggers
31-05-2009, 02:27 AM
He's all class :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 10:37 AM
But it was a Fremantle home game. Cousins played for the Eagles.

soupman
31-05-2009, 11:18 AM

You serious? I thought it was pretty funny. I can't believe he's gonna get a $1,200 fine for it (actually I can cause the AFL isn't exactly a lenient governing body). Seriously, who cares?

Also, I wonder if he would have received the fine had channel ten not broadcast it.

mjp
31-05-2009, 12:05 PM
But it was a Fremantle home game. Cousins played for the Eagles.

Yeah - therefore the Dockers supporters don't like him...therefore they boo. You had to know this was going to happen.

The West Coast supporters would cheer him.

Happy Days
31-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Also, I wonder if he would have received the fine had channel ten not broadcast it.

Spot on.

mighty_west
31-05-2009, 02:02 PM

It was Cousins being typically smug but, at the same time, in your dressing rooms before the game, even at half time, thats the players space to get ready for battle, once they step out, if he gives the finger, thats another thing all together, but he would have seen the inside camera on his every move, i wouldn;t put up with that.

AndrewP6
31-05-2009, 05:57 PM
It was Cousins being typically smug but, at the same time, in your dressing rooms before the game, even at half time, thats the players space to get ready for battle, once they step out, if he gives the finger, thats another thing all together, but he would have seen the inside camera on his every move, i wouldn;t put up with that.

Yes the change rooms is the space for players to prepare for the game, but they are highly paid professionals, who are aware of their responsibilities. He knew the camera was there, he could've ignored it. What a tool.

The Adelaide Connection
31-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes the change rooms is the space for players to prepare for the game, but they are highly paid professionals, who are aware of their responsibilities. He knew the camera was there, he could've ignored it. What a tool.

Spot on. Seriously stupid thing to do for a guy that is trying to rebuild his reputation. Why would you do it? It really was a head scratcher.

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I am not a big fan of Cousins, however that camera was going in the changing rooms two hours before the game, and I think after the media circus that has happened this week over Richmond, WAllace, and Cousins returning to Subiaco you wouldn't be human if you were not sick of it. I would guess that he didn't think it would be shown - Wrong!

gohardorgohome
31-05-2009, 07:50 PM
I wont be booing him on Friday, but I may suggest that he stop "trying to snort the boundary line" a few times.

1eyedog
31-05-2009, 07:55 PM
You serious? I thought it was pretty funny. I can't believe he's gonna get a $1,200 fine for it (actually I can cause the AFL isn't exactly a lenient governing body). Seriously, who cares?

Probably the thousands of 5-10 year old kids who not only watch the game and are involved in it but also who barrack for Richmond and love Ben Cousins. I suppose family people would also have an issue with a supposedly rehabilitated 'role model' acting thus. 500 kids sticking their finger up at teachers on Monday morning.

Given that the AFL are at such lengths to encourage a family environment at the football i.e don't say anything bad about umpires, and even going so far as to say that bloodied players leaving the ground need to be covered etc... this action could understandably irk the AFL, especially from a player who they have given a second chance.

Happy Days
31-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Probably the thousands of 5-10 year old kids who not only watch the game and are involved in it but also who barrack for Richmond and love Ben Cousins. I suppose family people would also have an issue with a supposedly rehabilitated 'role model' acting thus. 500 kids sticking their finger up at teachers on Monday morning.

Given that the AFL are at such lengths to encourage a family environment at the football i.e don't say anything bad about umpires, and even going so far as to say that bloodied players leaving the ground need to be covered etc... this action could understandably irk the AFL, especially from a player who they have given a second chance.

Its all well and good to vilify the easy target in Cousins, and you're probably right in the sense that he shouldn't have done it, given his circumstances.

The only problem I have with this is that it wasn't a live feed, and channel 10 had no reason to show it other than to further put Cousins up the creek. If it was such a horrible thing to do and they knew it would offend, why show it?

Aren't channel 10 equally responsible for all of those teachers copping the middle finger on Monday?

AndrewP6
31-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Its all well and good to vilify the easy target in Cousins, and you're probably right in the sense that he shouldn't have done it, given his circumstances.

The only problem I have with this is that it wasn't a live feed, and channel 10 had no reason to show it other than to further put Cousins up the creek. If it was such a horrible thing to do and they knew it would offend, why show it?

Aren't channel 10 equally responsible for all of those teachers copping the middle finger on Monday?

Cousins shouldn't be able to use the "they shouldn't have shown it" excuse. Those camera feeds are regularly shown on game days, as all players would be aware. Why should Channel Ten cop the blame for other people's choices? Surely that is part of Cousin's rehabilitation - to take responsibility for himself? If Cousins was more mature, and less sure of his own bulletproof nature, he would have thought twice about doing it at all. Don't blame Channel Ten for showing the public what sort of character he really is, and how far he has to go in his efforts for redemption. Why should they hide it? Maybe it could convince kids that these blokes are not heroes, and just overpaid footballers.

As for a fine, anything in the thousands is pointless. Make it worthwhile - $10,000, to be donated to a charity.

Happy Days
31-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Cousins shouldn't be able to use the "they shouldn't have shown it" excuse. Those camera feeds are regularly shown on game days, as all players would be aware. Why should Channel Ten cop the blame for other people's choices? Surely that is part of Cousin's rehabilitation - to take responsibility for himself? If Cousins was more mature, and less sure of his own bulletproof nature, he would have thought twice about doing it at all. Don't blame Channel Ten for showing the public what sort of character he really is, and how far he has to go in his efforts for redemption. Why should they hide it? Maybe it could convince kids that these blokes are not heroes, and just overpaid footballers.

As for a fine, anything in the thousands is pointless. Make it worthwhile - $10,000, to be donated to a charity.

I didn't say he was without guilt. It was a stupid thing to do and yes he should take responsibility. But if its not a live feed and its wickedly offensive to all who see it, why show it?

AndrewP6
31-05-2009, 10:00 PM

$1200 for a highly paid footballer is ridiculous... Make it $10,000 and send a real message. THis sort of infantile behaviour is exactly what they don't need from a guy who is supposed to be rehabilitating himself. Like it or not, these people have a duty to behave in a responsible manner. At his place of work, Cousins should understand he's going to be under the microscope. And he's trying to redeem himself, remember?

AndrewP6
31-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I didn't say he was without guilt. It was a stupid thing to do and yes he should take responsibility. But if its not a live feed and its wickedly offensive to all who see it, why show it?

To show the public the man Cousins really is. Why hide it? Then they're looking after him - and he doesn't need or deserve looking after.

Happy Days
31-05-2009, 10:04 PM
To show the public the man Cousins really is. Why hide it? Then they're looking after him - and he doesn't need or deserve looking after.

The man he really is?

The bloke can't take two steps off a plane without being muggedd by the press. If I were him I'd be pissed at the media too.

As for not needing looking after, I think he's proved quite the opposite.

AndrewP6
31-05-2009, 10:24 PM
The man he really is?

The bloke can't take two steps off a plane without being muggedd by the press. If I were him I'd be pissed at the media too.

I've spoken out against the media circus that follows his every move. The pics of him getting out of cars, standing on his balcony etc. are way out of line, and speak volumes for the quality of many "journalists" in the media.

But to act the way he did in his place of work, where he knew the cameras would be filming (and televising) the goings-on in the change rooms, is simply stupid. And he must be taken to task.

As for needing looking after, that is not the responsibility of the broadcasters, nor the AFL - not when it comes to preventing the man's every action, before he does something stupid - as I've said, it's his responsibility. He agreed to the terms of his return. He has to comply to the responsibilities of an AFL footballer. What's the message if we say "Don't worry about what you do in front of the cameras, the broadcasters won't show it"?

The Adelaide Connection
31-05-2009, 11:52 PM
The man he really is?

Anyone that thinks the media treatment of Cousins is over the top needs to live in London a little while and be witness to what over the top Journalism really looks like. Every day, twice daily on the tube I would read the free tube trash mag newspapers and almost each and every time there was a story on Amy Whinehouse. If she bought a hat they would say "Amy tries to cover drug tired face" if she bought a coffee "Amy needs coffee to recover from big night". I wish I was kidding.

At the end of the day there are reasons why the media target Whinehouse and Cousins, flicking the bird at a camera because you are "tired of the attention" is like trying to put a fire out with petrol.

He owes his club a massive apology, the front page should have been a positive story about a struggling club registering a good win.

ledge
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I would have thought it ok if he did it in his own time but at the footy where its part of the footy business?
If i was coach i would have given him a blast as he should have been concentratiing on his game etc, if he was doing that he wouldnt have noticed the cameras or worried about them.

Its not like they had a reporter asking him upsetting questions, it was just a camera.

Happy Days
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
[/B]

I've spoken out against the media circus that follows his every move. The pics of him getting out of cars, standing on his balcony etc. are way out of line, and speak volumes for the quality of many "journalists" in the media.

But to act the way he did in his place of work, where he knew the cameras would be filming (and televising) the goings-on in the change rooms, is simply stupid. And he must be taken to task.

As for needing looking after, that is not the responsibility of the broadcasters, nor the AFL - not when it comes to preventing the man's every action, before he does something stupid - as I've said, it's his responsibility. He agreed to the terms of his return. He has to comply to the responsibilities of an AFL footballer. What's the message if we say "Don't worry about what you do in front of the cameras, the broadcasters won't show it"?

Anyone that thinks the media treatment of Cousins is over the top needs to live in London a little while and be witness to what over the top Journalism really looks like. Every day, twice daily on the tube I would read the free tube trash mag newspapers and almost each and every time there was a story on Amy Whinehouse. If she bought a hat they would say "Amy tries to cover drug tired face" if she bought a coffee "Amy needs coffee to recover from big night". I wish I was kidding.

At the end of the day there are reasons why the media target Whinehouse and Cousins, flicking the bird at a camera because you are "tired of the attention" is like trying to put a fire out with petrol.

He owes his club a massive apology, the front page should have been a positive story about a struggling club registering a good win.

You've both completely misunderstood what I was trying to say (partly my fault too).

What I meant was yes he should be at fault, fined, sanctioned, forced into an apology, etc., but channel 10 should be also subjected to some form of sanction for showing something they clearly didn't need to.

Sedat
01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I find it hard to take pity on a guy who is being 'harrassed' by the media when he himself has sanctioned a permanent film crew to follow his every move for the purposes of creating a documentary and selling the rights to the highest bidder.

I actually think that Cousins suffers from a form of addition - addiction to fame. Watching the Cousins circus reminds me of the Frontline episode in which Mike Moore abandonds all media press and PR for a short period but then suffers major withdrawal at his lack of publicity and profile and goes into meltdown. When the career ends and the cameras stop rolling, what the hell will Cousins actually do?

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I would have thought it ok if he did it in his own time but at the footy where its part of the footy business?
If i was coach i would have given him a blast as he should have been concentratiing on his game etc, if he was doing that he wouldnt have noticed the cameras or worried about them.

Its not like they had a reporter asking him upsetting questions, it was just a camera.

Well put, Ledge...

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
You've both completely misunderstood what I was trying to say (partly my fault too).

What I meant was yes he should be at fault, fined, sanctioned, forced into an apology, etc., but channel 10 should be also subjected to some form of sanction for showing something they clearly didn't need to.

But where would that end? They'd never show anything! The purpose of those cameras is to show what happens pre-game in the change rooms. 99% of the footage shows players jogging, being massaged, getting taped up, doing drills etc. But the one percent shows a tool like Cousins flipping the bird - it's his fault, no one else. There's plenty shown on TV that isn't necessarily savoury viewing.

ledge
01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Funniest thing i saw in the change rooms was last week and Balme coming out of the toilets in the background.

Back to the post i wonder what the Eagles crowd response will be?

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Funniest thing i saw in the change rooms was last week and Balme coming out of the toilets in the background.

Back to the post i wonder what the Eagles crowd response will be?

Yep, saw that too... funny stuff.. think I saw it on Before the Game? Looked like he'd just lost 5 kgs!

soupman
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Evidently people do care.

I'm still not against him doing it though. An hour and a half before the game, he's walking around the change rooms, is most likely bored and decides to play up to the camera. Sure he gave the finger to the camera, but is that so bad?

You argue that we should "think of the children" and that all of them will be giving the bird to teachers today. That's ridiculous. Either they've been taught that its not something you do to others, or they'd learnt that when they're sent to the principal (or made to sit on the vinyl). Give kids some credit to discern what is an appropriate action for them to do. This is like the article in the paper I read today which suggests that the characters smoking in the Simpsons (Krusty, Patty and Selma mostly) would encourage kids to smoke. Seriously, it wouldn't have an affect.

Should it have been broadcast? Probably not, because the media jumps all over the tiniest bit of controversy they can. But the point is it doesn't matter. Ben Cousins has declared it was a joke and I thought it was funny. It's a shame that our society has become so politically correct that something as harmless as giving a camera the bird an hour and a half before the game has become front page news. Surely there is much worse stuff going on; Neighbours which is on every week at a time when many kids would be watching has everything from rapists to stalkers to murderers to stupid fights over nothing.

It wasn't that big an issue to start with, and now it's just getting blown out of all proportion. And as for that $10,000 fine suggested, which charity gets all that?

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Evidently people do care.

You argue that we should "think of the children" and that all of them will be giving the bird to teachers today. That's ridiculous. Either they've been taught that its not something you do to others, or they'd learnt that when they're sent to the principal (

Ben Cousins has declared it was a joke and I thought it was funny. It's a shame that our society has become so politically correct that something as harmless as giving a camera the bird an hour and a half before the game has become front page news. Surely there is much worse stuff going on

And as for that $10,000 fine suggested, which charity gets all that?

Speaking as a teacher, I can confirm that yes, the kids are influenced by role-models such as AFL players. My students spent 10 minutes laughing about it today, after seeing the newspaper. Not laughing because it was funny, but laughing because a well-known person was publicly doing it. And yes, they are taught that it is inappropriate. But like many other gestures/words/actions, they still do it. And don't need extra encouragement from their sporting "heroes".

His article in the paper today merely reinforced my view of him being an arrogant, conceited tosser. Tickets to Ben Cousins, all sold out. Bought by B. Cousins of Richmond.
Just because Cousins thinks its funny, we all have to laugh? Most would agree that the "middle finger" is widely accepted as an offensive gesture. That shouldn't have been too hard, even for someone of Cousins apparently limited brainpower to work out. Just because he thinks it's funny, doesn't mean that somebody else won't. Glad I'll never be invited to a family dinner if they all spend the night flipping the bird to each other. Charming.

And he's stupid if he truly thinks that it wouldn't go to air. Not "naive" as he wrote, but stupid.
Yes, there's much worse happening in the world. But Cousins has it coming to him. As for the fine, there's a plethora of charities he could donate to. Doesn't matter where it goes. The point is, a weak little $1200 fine won't mean a thing. If they take any action, make it worthwhile. Make a statement - you've been stupid, cop this. He may not care, but some worthwhile charity could benefit.

boydogs
02-06-2009, 12:19 AM
His article in the paper today merely reinforced my view of him being an arrogant, conceited tosser. Tickets to Ben Cousins, all sold out. Bought by B. Cousins of Richmond

Quote of the year nomination ;)

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Ben Cousins copped a $5000.00 fine from Richmond and also a suspended $5000.00 fine from the AFL.

AndrewP6
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Ben Cousins copped a $5000.00 fine from Richmond and also a suspended $5000.00 fine from the AFL.

I called it!... Well, I called for 10 grand, but 5 plus 5 suspended is OK too...

AndrewP6
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Quote of the year nomination ;)

Thanks very much :D

The Adelaide Connection
02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks very much :D

Ha ha, yeah that was gold. :D

azabob
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM

I think $2,500 of the $5000 from Richmond is suspended for 12mths.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I think $2,500 of the $5000 from Richmond is suspended for 12mths.

Yes, I just saw that - C7 news said it was 5K from Richmond and 5k suspended from AFL. Media has been constantly contradicting themselves lately. :)

Remi Moses
02-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Poor benny forever the victim,contemptious human being of the highest order. Victim of my own success. Hangin out with gangster thugs,doing a runner on the cops. Always the victim Benny. Typifies the West Coast culture at the time

AndrewP6
02-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Yes, I just saw that - C7 news said it was 5K from Richmond and 5k suspended from AFL. Media has been constantly contradicting themselves lately. :)

Just heard that on Fox Sports... jeez, they really hit him with the feather didn't they? Weak... and a waste of time.

soupman
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Poor benny forever the victim,contemptious human being of the highest order. Victim of my own success. Hangin out with gangster thugs,doing a runner on the cops. Always the victim Benny. Typifies the West Coast culture at the time

This has got nothing to do with Ben Cousins personality, I think he's a dickhead. It's more that it has been blown completely out of proportion. It's such an insignificant matter that means so little and yet it's been front page news and brought about a ridiculous fine. If it was any other player noone would look twice. Cousins in the end was probably stupid to do it, but even so it was just a stupid gesture at a camera an hour and a half before the game. It wasn't as if he gave it to the cheer squad after kicking a goal.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2009, 08:55 PM
It wasn't as if he gave it to the cheer squad after kicking a goal.

I would actually have less of a problem if he gave it to the cheer squad because, whilst it would still be unacceptable, at least it would have probably been provoked in some way.

The fact is that it was unwarranted, unecessary and just another brick in the great wall of reasons why this guy is not fit to be a role model.

Did you read the article about how he was "shocked when he saw his facial expressions and started to understand why people were upset". Mate, reality check, your face is always like that because you are a smug wanker with a god complex.