PDA

View Full Version : Everitt

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Everitt's into his third season but even allowing for some injuries it's hard to work out if he is really improving or not. He delighted us in his first season and then we made allowances for the typical second year slide but I'm at a loss on what top make of him and what position he will make his own.
Does anyone have a view on how Everitt is progressing ?

comrade
31-05-2009, 10:26 AM
For the first time in forever, we have a plethora of tallish defensive options - Lake, Hargrave, Morris, Williams, Tiller. I'd be playing him in exactly the same way St Kilda play Goddard - everywhere.

I say start him loose on the half back line where he can use his foot skills to move the ball forward, let him move up onto the wing or even put him forward as a tall option.

Goddard wasn't exactly setting the world alight as a third tall before his knee injury, and it wasn't until he came back that he was thrust into a utility role and has performed beautifully (especially in my Supercoach team :))

Obviously, Goddard probably reads the play better but Everitt will improve with more game time. Their foot skills are similar and both can mark the ball well.

I'll be watching him intently at Williamstown today. Hopefully he's used in a different role today because Willy also has a number of tall defensive options - Cloke, Meyer, Boumann, Wight.

GVGjr
31-05-2009, 11:17 AM
For the first time in forever, we have a plethora of tallish defensive options - Lake, Hargrave, Morris, Williams, Tiller. I'd be playing him in exactly the same way St Kilda play Goddard - everywhere.

I say start him loose on the half back line where he can use his foot skills to move the ball forward, let him move up onto the wing or even put him forward as a tall option.

Goddard wasn't exactly setting the world alight as a third tall before his knee injury, and it wasn't until he came back that he was thrust into a utility role and has performed beautifully (especially in my Supercoach team :))

Obviously, Goddard probably reads the play better but Everitt will improve with more game time. Their foot skills are similar and both can mark the ball well.

I'll be watching him intently at Williamstown today. Hopefully he's used in a different role today because Willy also has a number of tall defensive options - Cloke, Meyer, Boumann, Wight.

I know what you are saying but Goddard has a lot more vigor in his play than what Everitt has displayed so far. To me Everitt is more a finesse player rather than a ball getter and that doesn't always bode well for him being a loose man in defence.
It seems the coach hasn't got a lot of faith in him to do a job on taller opponents so not only is he battling Tiller for a 3rd tall spot but also the mid sized guys like Hargrave and Morris.

Perhaps the answer is to try him as a forward for Williamstown.

Mofra
31-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Forget his heaight, his disposal is good eneough for him to be regarded as our quarterback apprentice to Gilbee.
Hargrave rarely plays on talls now, as we know his forte, and I think Everitt needs to play to his strengths as well. Everitt is bigger in the body & played very well today I thought.

Cyberdoggie
31-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Forget his heaight, his disposal is good eneough for him to be regarded as our quarterback apprentice to Gilbee.
Hargrave rarely plays on talls now, as we know his forte, and I think Everitt needs to play to his strengths as well. Everitt is bigger in the body & played very well today I thought.

From your report on the VFL board it sounds like he has got some of his run and carry back into his game. Something he has really missed since he cut the dreadlocks off.

I think Everitt has actually improved. It may not be that obvious because we haven't seen any of his run and wonderful disposal for some time. However i think he has learned a little about defensive work. He always puts his body on the line when backing back into a pack and never flinches. Just needs to improve on his 1 on 1 body work. Get's nudged out easy

lemmon
31-05-2009, 08:43 PM
He's battling it out with Tiller for that last defender spot but definitley has more upside IMO. Its a bit like the Hawkins, Lonergan fight at Geelong. Hawkins hasnt put it together at the top level but could potentially be something special ala Everitt, while Lonergan has performed better in his opportunities at the top level but wont be that A-grade player.

Personally I would like to see the selectors bite the bullet really give Everitt a consistent run at AFL level, hes doing well in the VFL (from reports) so now might be the time to give him a good run while his confidence is up.

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 08:56 PM
G'Day first post here

One off our tall defenders needs to become a forward. Will happen after next year I feel. Just to many good forwards to give someone a real bash at it. Could see Everitt off a half forward flank for example. If not these players may move on to get a game somewhere else.

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 08:58 PM
While probably not improving as much as hoped, I think he should slowly inherit Eagletons wing as the the flying bald one nears the end of his career. Hopefully there are some other opportunities for Everitt in the meantime because he has got class. We will be having some retirements over the next couple of seasons so we will need him. He is already AFL class IMHO and will only get better with time.

I thought a few of his matches this season have been quite good and been unlucky to get dropped, then again so have a few others. Most of the fringe guys seem to be warranting their selection at the moment.

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 09:06 PM
While probably not improving as much as hoped, I think he should slowly inherit Eagletons wing as the the flying bald one nears the end of his career. Hopefully there are some other opportunities for Everitt in the meantime because he has got class. We will be having some retirements over the next couple of seasons so we will need him. He is already AFL class IMHO and will only get better with time.

I thought a few of his matches this season have been quite good and been unlucky to get dropped, then again so have a few others. Most of the fringe guys seem to be warranting their selection at the moment.

Lots off players queuing up for selection. Someone will be dropped who does not deserved to be dropped this week for Williams and Murhpy.

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I've got faith in Everitt. He's got talent and physique on his side.
So much of it self belief.
Now that Harbrow has been named in the best and received votes in both papers watch him blossom.
Everitt just needs to feel he belongs at this level.
Andrejs, we're waiting...........

bornadog
31-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Peoples, although this is Everitt's third year, he just turned 20 recently. He is still a kid and as we know talls don't mature till they are much older.

I remember the year he started, heard Eade mention he could be a future CHF, once he put on some muscle.

Cyberdoggie
01-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Peoples, although this is Everitt's third year, he just turned 20 recently. He is still a kid and as we know talls don't mature till they are much older.

Then how do you explain how he was better in his first year then he has been since?

Surely someone can't get worse?

I totally buy in to the "talls take longer to mature" theory, however i think it means that they don't hit their peak until later than a small.

There is no excuse for a player stagnating or getting worse in his performances other than injury, illness or mental.

Perhaps it's just the weight of the number 3 guernsey on his back?

ledge
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Then how do you explain how he was better in his first year then he has been since?

I totally buy in to the "talls take longer to mature" theory, however i think it means that they don't hit their peak until later than a small.

There is no excuse for a player stagnating or getting worse in his performances other than injury, illness or mental.

Not in agreeance here, in your first year you dont get tagged and coaches tend to play you in outer positions so you dont get hit, especially if you dont have much of a build, playing in the backline means you get the chance to run off and get the ball a lot easier with a handball.

Wanganeen was the perfect example and so was Leon Cameron in their first years.

Your second year, if you did ok in your first you are watched more closely by the opposition and they pick your weaknesses.

I like Everitt but his build hasnt come on yet and he still gets knocked around to easy.

He could be our next Skipper, i hope not but at this stage and so many taller young ones coming through the pressure will mount for him.

To me the 3rd and 4th years are the most telling.

1st year is sometimes your best year in your first 3.

bornadog
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Knee injury last year in the preseason, took awhile to get back in. This year has also had a few injuries. I don't believe he is any worse than the first year. The whole team has lifted and he is still maturing and growing as a footballer. His couple of injury set backs have not helped.

Dry Rot
09-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Bump.

A month on, and some mixed reports from Willi.

Is it fair to mark his card "disappointing" this year?

With other exciting young talls waiting in the wings, could he end up being a rich or poor man's Ben Harrison* utility on the fringes looking for a position?

*IIRC, Two Dogs' favourite player of all time.

boydogs
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
We need to do with him what we did with Gilbee at the start of the year, release him up the field. Williamstown are doing that now which is good and has helped him to at least get back on the emergencies list this week. Eade has been critical of his workrate though, hopefully finding the right role for him will help his focus

Remi Moses
10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Must improve his intensity he always looks like he's going half ratpower. Come on Andrejs

Cyberdoggie
10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Knee injury last year in the preseason, took awhile to get back in. This year has also had a few injuries. I don't believe he is any worse than the first year. The whole team has lifted and he is still maturing and growing as a footballer. His couple of injury set backs have not helped.

He was playing rubbish football that pre-season before he did the knee. Looked slow and lazy.

I think it's starting to sink in now that he can't make it on talent and reputation alone.
Looking much better in recent weeks, but i agree with Comrade that we need to free him up in a different role.

Mofra
10-07-2009, 04:00 PM
He simply needs some angry pills.

bornadog
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
He simply needs some angry pills.

Needs to get some coaching on that from big brother:D

Sockeye Salmon
10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
He was playing rubbish football that pre-season before he did the knee. Looked slow and lazy.

I think it's starting to sink in now that he can't make it on talent and reputation alone.
Looking much better in recent weeks, but i agree with Comrade that we need to free him up in a different role.

Didn't he have glandular fever before that?

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 08:24 AM
I saw him yesterday against the Coburg, was not that impressive, really struggled to get involved in the game.

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I saw him yesterday against the Coburg, was not that impressive, really struggled to get involved in the game.

Some of his disposals were dissapointing. Spoilt his hard work:(

GVGjr
13-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Some of his disposals were dissapointing. Spoilt his hard work:(

BF, You see a lot of the games so why do you think Everitt hasn't kicked on as expected this season?

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 08:58 PM
BF, You see a lot of the games so why do you think Everitt hasn't kicked on as expected this season?

I think he is lacking a bit of confidence and direction in the way he is playing. Maybe getting dropped has effected him this time. Leave him on the wing to gain some dash and confidence. Pressure could also be a big factor!

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I liked him last year and as you said bigfella, i think he needs some confidence in an AFL match say against Fremantle see how he does.

LostDoggy
28-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Bump!

Have to say, this thread has been a pretty disappointing read. I haven't been following the reserves particularly this year, but thought that he would have been having a little more success down there at the moment.

To be honest I was hoping to find some info that would have me hoping that he could possibly be thrown up forward and be somewhat of an answer for our tall forward woes! I suppose this is not really on the cards at all??

(Have to say, last Saturday has got me worried for the first time about this key forward issue!)

comrade
28-07-2009, 10:55 PM
^^^^

He's barely been played forward of centre at Williamstown this year, so it's hard to comment on his prowess as a forward.

I'd love it if he was plonked in the goal square for a couple of weeks, just to see what he's got to offer.

It remains to be seen if Gotch is willing to try it, though.

GVGjr
28-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Bump!

Have to say, this thread has been a pretty disappointing read. I haven't been following the reserves particularly this year, but thought that he would have been having a little more success down there at the moment.

To be honest I was hoping to find some info that would have me hoping that he could possibly be thrown up forward and be somewhat of an answer for our tall forward woes! I suppose this is not really on the cards at all??

(Have to say, last Saturday has got me worried for the first time about this key forward issue!)

I'm starting to sense our supporters are getting frustrated with him even though he is only 20 years old but equally he must be frustrated by his own inability to get back into the senior side.

He might also be looking at Farren Ray's progress at the Saints and start sizing up other opportunities himself.

comrade
28-07-2009, 10:57 PM
He might also be looking at Farren Ray's progress at the Saints and start sizing up other opportunities himself.

Particularly when you have guys struggling to string together solid games at the highest level, yet are proving untouchable at the selection table.

azabob
28-07-2009, 11:00 PM
^^^^

He's barely been played forward of centre at Williamstown this year, so it's hard to comment on his prowess as a forward.

I'd love it if he was plonked in the goal square for a couple of weeks, just to see what he's got to offer.

It remains to be seen if Gotch is willing to try it, though.

He proved in his first year he can read the play extremely well playing as loose man in defence so surely it is worth a go. But again its the balance between Williamstown and bulldogs listed players.
Little is out so Gelia is number one forward and kicks a few. When Little is back he'll be number one forward and Gelia will be dropped again.
Its a massive catch 22.

GVGjr
28-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Particularly when you have guys struggling to string together solid games at the highest level, yet are proving untouchable at the selection table.

I don't think it's a lack of opportunities for him that is the real issue because it's more about that his own form isn't cherry ripe. Perhaps we aren't using him right or that we hoped he would develop into a key defender and it's just beyond him at the moment but its a shame to see him struggling.

Mofra
29-07-2009, 10:27 AM
He proved in his first year he can read the play extremely well playing as loose man in defence so surely it is worth a go.
Our forwardline is struggling enough as it is without the prospect of going 5 on 6 or 7.

LostDoggy
29-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Everitt has to come in this week . He showed in his first few games that he has ability... play him for at least 3 games to help take the pressure off him ...he can play

LostDoggy
30-07-2009, 06:23 PM
This week is his chance now, time to work hard & keep his spot in the 22.

mighty_west
31-07-2009, 08:52 PM
This week is his chance now, time to work hard & keep his spot in the 22.

It sure is, when a team likes ours is starting to build some depth, you lose a few players with injury, a player like Everitt who has all the ability & talent in the world, just HAS to take an opportunity like this, especially when there maybe one or two others that perhaps may have earn't a spot in the side and not giving the same opportunities.

Get him out of the backline, play him on a wing and up forward at times, just give him free licence to play the game, don't bombard him with information & moves and so on, just play the game son.

C'mon Andrejs, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!