PDA

View Full Version : Pubs to watch the Doggies

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Hey guys,
Just wondering on some of the pubs fellow Footscray supporters frequent to watch the footy. I'm looking for a good venue in the city, and one local in Williamstown. I've never really gone to a pub to specifically watch the Dogs. Any thoughts?

Rocket Science
01-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Here, THIS (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=74737&postcount=57) might be of some assistance.

As for Willi, I recall Friday night footy was a goer at the Steampacket, but we're talking a decade since I've been in there. Otherwise I'd guess one of the Rose, the Vic Inn or the Rifle Club could work too.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Here, THIS (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=74737&postcount=57) might be of some assistance.

As for Willi, I recall Friday night footy was a goer at the Steampacket, but we're talking a decade since I've been in there. Otherwise I'd guess one of the Rose, the Vic Inn or the Rifle Club could work too.

The Rose is as rough as guts.
At the packet, last time I went (year or two), you could watch the footy on tvs over the band
The Vic is a bulldog pub but full of pokies and the Rifle is just a full on pokies place.

Better off heading to the Blamey Stone in Yarraville

Rocket Science
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
The Rose is as rough as guts.

I can confirm that.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Very worthwhile thread. So many pubs thesedays have turned into jokes. With no sound for their multiple TV's, because it's "not a good feel" to have people getting loud or barracking in their "establishment". Wankers.

Here are some boozers I've successfully managed to watch AFL with sound -

The Vic Inn on Dougie Parade in Willy usually show the games
The Vic on Hyde in Yarraville
The Newmarket Tavern on Racecourse Road has been a success for me in the past, though sometimes you have to compete with horseracing noises
The Celtic Club in the city

Mofra
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Better off heading to the Blamey Stone in Yarraville

The Blarney Stone set up a big screen TV in the back room for the Swans game. Is a very pro-Bulldogs pub too which is good.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
The Hackney Hotel should have a few SA dogs in attendance for the adelaide supporters

aker39
12-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Has anyone been to the Royal to watch doggies games recently.

Just looking for somewhere Saturday night.

comrade
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I’m heading up to Brisbane this weekend – first time I’ve been up there for a game.

Any suggestions for a good pre-match watering hole? How many WOOFer’s are going up?

aker39
12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I’m heading up to Brisbane this weekend – first time I’ve been up there for a game.

Any suggestions for a good pre-match watering hole? How many WOOFer’s are going up?

I went to the Chalk Hotel last year.

http://www.chalkhotel.com.au/

It is Brisbanes offical pub, but plenty of doggies supporters in there and close to the ground.

Also check this out http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/82376/default.aspx for Western Bulldog friendly business in Brisbane.

I've been to the Pig n Whistle, it's a good pub, but not close to the ground.

hotdog
12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Has anyone been to the Royal to watch doggies games recently.

Just looking for somewhere Saturday night.

The Royal in Barkley St Footscray is a good option. Pro Doggies and multiple big TV's dotted throughout. When I was there Round 1 (Dog's v Freo) sound during the match was very loud. Plus you can get a cheap eat at one of the many Bulldog friendly Vietnamese restaurants nearby:) Highly recommend Jimmy Wongs down the road towards God's Country (Whitten Oval!)

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I always go to the Royal as well to watch the Doggies game. Good numbers of Bulldog supports there, good atmosphere tooo.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
The Royal in Barkley St Footscray is a good option. Pro Doggies and multiple big TV's dotted throughout. When I was there Round 1 (Dog's v Freo) sound during the match was very loud. Plus you can get a cheap eat at one of the many Bulldog friendly Vietnamese restaurants nearby:) Highly recommend Jimmy Wongs down the road towards God's Country (Whitten Oval!)

Great place to go - and they have a reasonable chicken parma, can't beat the Vietnamese restaurants though:).

Rocco Jones
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM

My partner and I are heading up as well. Apparently we will be having drinks somewhere in "The Valley" Friday night and have a few drinks after the game somewhere local on Saturday night.

NoName
12-08-2009, 07:51 PM

I'm going up as well.

BulldogBelle
13-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Brisbane pubs with footy and an atmosphere before and after the game...FYI

-The Chalk..is a 5 minute walk from the Gabba
-The Pineapple...is also a 5 minute walk from the Gabba...there are always loads of doggies fans there before a game
-Storey Bridge Hotel- about a 20 minute walk to the Gabba...plenty of wankers there will want to tell you how the Lions will win (most dont know crap about AFL)
-Oxford 152...is a few suburbs away in Bulimba, but has a few big screens, bit of an AFL following there with Morningside and Coorparoo close by (have QAFL sides)
- The Victory and the Stock Exchange in the CBD are also fun pubs...short cab ride over to the Gabba

Most people in Brisbane couldnt give a crap about AFL, and I have never had a problem with going out in the Valley or the CBD there with my Doggies gear on. I get 100% more crap in Melbourne when we are playing Collingwood than up there.

Enjoy!

Cyberdoggie
13-08-2009, 10:30 AM
My partner and I are heading up as well. Apparently we will be having drinks somewhere in "The Valley" Friday night and have a few drinks after the game somewhere local on Saturday night.

Have fun R.J.

I was contemplating going up but couldn't find the cheap air flights in time, and now i've got a re-occurance of the lurgie so i'm be watching from a local here in ol melbourne town.

I've got the feeling your trip could either be one of joyous rapture and celebration or one of complete despair depending on the result.

Hope it's the first.

Mantis
13-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I am already up here. Weather is great, about 26 deg today.

I heard it is raining in Melb... Suffer in your jocks... Have a 1pm tee off so I better go do some practice.

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I am already up here. Weather is great, about 26 deg today.

I heard it is raining in Melb... Suffer in your jocks... Have a 1pm tee off so I better go do some practice.

Are you joking? Its actually the best day we have had in Melbourne for weeks. Nice sun, nice breeze. Suffer in your own jocks :D

Cyberdoggie
13-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Are you joking? Its actually the best day we have had in Melbourne for weeks. Nice sun, nice breeze. Suffer in your own jocks :D

Perfect golf weather you could say :p

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Yeah right, but you forgot to mention the temperature - it sure hasn't been 26 degrees down here today! I for one, am envious of those who have been able to make the trip north! Barrack hard and bring us home with a win against the lion cubs :)

ledge
13-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Does Mantis ever work or are you a proffessional golfer?

comrade
13-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Does Mantis ever work or are you a professional golfer?

He wishes! :D

LostDoggy
13-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone know of any Werribee pubs that show Doggies games?

The Coon Dog
13-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone know of any Werribee pubs that show Doggies games?

A couple in Hoppers. The Tigers Clubhouse & The Hoppers Club.

ledge
13-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I am going the Hoppers club tomorrow to meet a group of ladies for lunch, will check it out as well as the ladies!

LostDoggy
14-08-2009, 08:58 PM
A couple in Hoppers. The Tigers Clubhouse & The Hoppers Club.

The Coon Dog
14-08-2009, 09:03 PM

You're welcome. I reckon the Hoppers Club in Pannam Drive has a better atmosphere.

Sockeye Salmon
15-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah right, but you forgot to mention the temperature - it sure hasn't been 26 degrees down here today! I for one, am envious of those who have been able to make the trip north! Barrack hard and bring us home with a win against the lion cubs :)

I win the hottest temperature comp.

Last Monday was 47 in Dubai. Who said hotter was better?

PS. Wednesday was 'only' 37. My customer wouldn't put the air conditioner on because 'it was hardly needed'.

ledge
15-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Update on yesterdays lunch, Hoppers club nice, ladies? well i have learnt one man and 10 ladies is a very wierd feeling, back to the men lunches at watergardens for me.
But seriously yeah Hoppers looks very good for watching footy.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I win the hottest temperature comp.

Last Monday was 47 in Dubai. Who said hotter was better?

PS. Wednesday was 'only' 37. My customer wouldn't put the air conditioner on because 'it was hardly needed'.

OMG! I think I need to stop complaining about Melbourne weather!

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Update on yesterdays lunch, Hoppers club nice, ladies? well i have learnt one man and 10 ladies is a very wierd feeling, back to the men lunches at watergardens for me.
But seriously yeah Hoppers looks very good for watching footy.

Ledge, maybe everyone else understands your post, but it has certainly raised my curiousity:p Care to elaborate??

ledge
15-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Lunch with a bunch of ladies, one from work and all her friends that i talk to and have never met on that dreaded facebook.
I was the surprise guest, was good to catch up but think i am a mans man, came to the conclusion pubs are for mens business, even the barmaid was giggling how i should be in my element, well let me tell you womens convos arent the same as mens!
Looks a good place for watching footy though!