PDA

View Full Version : TRIBUNAL NEWS. Lake and Welsh get a week each

Twodogs
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Just on SEN-Lake for tripping and Welsh for "engaging in rough play"

hujsh
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Richmond have no power forwards without Richo do they?

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Since when do you get a week for tripping? A cats player a week back against Higgins got bugger all.
They want Richmond and Wallace to win don't they?

aker39
01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Since when do you get a week for tripping? A cats player a week back against Higgins got bugger all.

He didn't get a week for tripping.

He got a week for tripping + having carry over points

BulldogBelle
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Our luck playing against Richmond in Wallace's last game

Would love to scream the conspiracy theory

Wants to go out on a high

Williams for Lake
O'Keefe/Murphy/Grant for Welsh

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM

A trip is worth a reprimand, and the tribunal has been VERY consistant with that all year.

Aker, Lake & Bartel all copped the reprimand, Aker & Lake had points hanging over their head, Bartel didn't, but does now.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Welsh was a decent bump.

A week. Weak.

G-Mo77
01-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Can't remember the Lake incident. Welsh being put out is soft! :rolleyes:

What are Welsh's options? I would challenge if it doesn't result in a penalty worse than 1 game. Off the top of my head I don't think he has any prior offences.

The Coon Dog
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Can't remember the Lake incident. Welsh being put out is soft! :rolleyes:

What are Welsh's options? I would challenge if it doesn't result in a penalty worse than 1 game. Off the top of my head I don't think he has any prior offences.

The Bulldogs have two charges to mull over before the 11am Tuesday deadline, with forward Scott Welsh and defender Brian Lake both facing one-match bans.

Welsh has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against the Swans' Jared Crouch during Saturday's clash at Manuka Oval. A previous good record means the former Crow can accept the one-match suspension with an early plea.

If he takes the case to the tribunal and loses, he will miss two weeks after the initial charge earned 225 demerit points.

Lake has been charged with a tripping offence against Jarrad Moore, but his poor record means his one-match sanction cannot be reduced, even with an early plea.

The Bulldogs will have to take Lake's case to the tribunal if they are to have their fullback line up against Richmond this Friday night.

Source (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78020/default.aspx)

Twodogs
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Welsh was a decent bump.

A week. Weak.

Was it the one where he bounced off Callan Ward and into the Swans player? I thought he would have trouble over it.

G-Mo77
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
The Bulldogs have two charges to mull over before the 11am Tuesday deadline, with forward Scott Welsh and defender Brian Lake both facing one-match bans.

Welsh has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against the Swans' Jared Crouch during Saturday's clash at Manuka Oval. A previous good record means the former Crow can accept the one-match suspension with an early plea.

If he takes the case to the tribunal and loses, he will miss two weeks after the initial charge earned 225 demerit points.

Lake has been charged with a tripping offence against Jarrad Moore, but his poor record means his one-match sanction cannot be reduced, even with an early plea.

The Bulldogs will have to take Lake's case to the tribunal if they are to have their fullback line up against Richmond this Friday night.

Source (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78020/default.aspx)

Bloody hell. Looks like we're shit outa luck then. Take the Welsh penalty and move on, Lake will miss, they have been pretty consitant with tripping this year.

Remi Moses
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
joke of the century Gardiner 1 week same penalty as Welsh. Should appeal the Welsh decision looked contact with the shoulder,how the hell gardiner got 1 is mind boggling:mad:

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Bloody hell. Looks like we're shit outa luck then. Take the Welsh penalty and move on, Lake will miss, they have been pretty consitant with tripping this year.

Yeah i wouldn't want Welsh to take that on, it definatly wasn't soft, well, maybe from the 70 or 80's it was pretty much fair game, but, the head is and has to be protected.

Had it been the other way around & Goodes turning Ward into Jelly, myself along with all Doggies supporters would be calling for his head!

G-Mo77
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Had it been the other way around & Goodes turning Ward into Jelly, myself along with all Doggies supporters would be calling for his head!

Goodes? Does he even get cited? :)

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Goodes? Does he even get cited? :)

Off course not, protected species.

Having just watched the replays in slow mo on the 50", Lakes report is a DISGRACE, pathetic report, that wasn't a trip.

However Welsh is VERY LUCKY to get the 1, shoulder to Crouch's head, NOT SHOULDER, clean blow.

ledge
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
If i remember rightly Goodes did it far worse twice last year and didnt even get cited

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Richmond dont have that big destroying forward..but you would expect Simmonds to be up there at some stage...need Tommy back for sure.

No Welsh...Maybe Murph is ready to get back into it? If not please go with Okeefe..give the kid a chance!

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Lake will play, he will get off that..was a bull$#$@ suspension!

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Did any of the Sydney players get reported? The #30 (Roberts Hyphenated-Name) should have been reported for a fist to the face, and I'm pretty sure The Thug (aka Barry Hall) should have been reported as well...

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Crap.... didn't see the Lake incident, but a week for tripping? God, put skirts on 'em all, call it netball and be done with it!

The Welsh bump I thought was a good one. But these days, hit a bloke within two feet of the head and they'll put you out...

Shit, this game now worries me!

EDIT - just saw the Lake "trip" - absolute rubbish...if the tribunal has ANY credibility, he'll get off. Pathetic.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Can't believe Welsh got a week for that, has the bump gone?

Did Lake have carry over points?

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Murphy is back this week - so no harm done there. Big loss Lake, but they don't have any powerful big forwards anyway - so good game to lose him (I hope):o

Mantis
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Another brain fade from Brian. Really stupid act and there is probably no point fighting it.

I have only seen the Welsh incident once so it's a bit hard to form an opinion from that, but I think that from what I have seen the bump was ok and it might be worth fighting it.

Opens up an opportunity for either one of our returning injured players or possibly another chance for one of our younger players.

Go_Dogs
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Another brain fade from Brian. Really stupid act and there is probably no point fighting it.

I have only seen the Welsh incident once so it's a bit hard to form an opinion from that, but I think that from what I have seen the bump was ok and it might be worth fighting it.

Opens up an opportunity for either one of our returning injured players or possibly another chance for one of our younger players.

I didn't see the incident, but 225 points means that I would probably err on the side of caution and not challenge it. We can afford to miss him for a week, but anymore than that and I wouldn't be so happy.

For interests sake, how many carry over points did Brian have?

The Adelaide Connection
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I didn't see the incident, but 225 points means that I would probably err on the side of caution and not challenge it. We can afford to miss him for a week, but anymore than that and I wouldn't be so happy.

For interests sake, how many carry over points did Brian have?

I can't believe Gardiners strike may only cost him one game. It was an intentional elbow to the head, behind play and the video evidence was so good you could even see him watching the player as he did it. If the player went down, made it look a bit worse (or got a bit of concussion) he would be looking at 5.

How many did Murphy get for that accidental front on one last year? Wasn't it two?

The system sucks.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 10:44 PM
What a rort! I cant believe the Lake decision.

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I can't believe Gardiners strike may only cost him one game. It was an intentional elbow to the head, behind play and the video evidence was so good you could even see him watching the player as he did it. If the player went down, made it look a bit worse (or got a bit of concussion) he would be looking at 5.

How many did Murphy get for that accidental front on one last year? Wasn't it two?

The system sucks.

Yes but, the force in which Gardiner used wasn't that great, was never going to knock him out, compare that to the Welsh incident, and he was running in, had the momentum up and went flush to the side of Crouches head with the shoulder, the elbow came out past his head which made it look like he may have missed, he sure didn't miss and crouch stayed hit!!!

The Adelaide Connection
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes but, the force in which Gardiner used wasn't that great, was never going to knock him out, compare that to the Welsh incident, and he was running in, had the momentum up and went flush to the side of Crouches head with the shoulder, the elbow came out past his head which made it look like he may have missed, he sure didn't miss and crouch stayed hit!!!

I didn't see that one so I can't really comment, but it was a decent elbow from Gardiner and he certainly tried to hit him hard. The one I was referring to was the Murphy one from last year where he copped a few weeks for head high contact when he accidentally got the guy as he came in front on (had no time to pull up etc).

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
I didn't see that one so I can't really comment, but it was a decent elbow from Gardiner and he certainly tried to hit him hard. The one I was referring to was the Murphy one from last year where he copped a few weeks for head high contact when he accidentally got the guy as he came in front on (had no time to pull up etc).

Welsh had his eyes on Crouch most of the way, he wanted to take him out!

With Murph's, he re-arranged Ellis's face somewhat, and you know how they go, the more damage caused, the bigger penalty, which is fair enough.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Has Welsh accepted the one match suspension? Is there any news on whether the club are going to challenge it? I think he'd get off. I don't see anything wrong with the bump. If both Lake and Welsh are out, I'd say bring Williams and Murphy in.

The Adelaide Connection
02-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Welsh had his eyes on Crouch most of the way, he wanted to take him out!

With Murph's, he re-arranged Ellis's face somewhat, and you know how they go, the more damage caused, the bigger penalty, which is fair enough.

I agree to an extent. The damaged caused should be taken into account to gauge the force of the contact, especially when intentional, but if for example Barry Halls punch didn't knock staker out (far fetched I know) and he was able to play on that game, should Hall have got less weeks?

I can't remember who Gardiner hit, but the message to that player would be "I should have reacted and play acted so that b_astard got rubbed out for more". That is a dangerous message to throw out there. We would all hate if players started to do that but I would understand him wanting to get Gardiner maximum weeks after he gave him a cheap one off the ball behind play.

mighty_west
02-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree to an extent. The damaged caused should be taken into account to gauge the force of the contact, especially when intentional, but if for example Barry Halls punch didn't knock staker out (far fetched I know) and he was able to play on that game, should Hall have got less weeks?

I can't remember who Gardiner hit, but the message to that player would be "I should have reacted and play acted so that b_astard got rubbed out for more". That is a dangerous message to throw out there. We would all hate if players started to do that but I would understand him wanting to get Gardiner maximum weeks after he gave him a cheap one off the ball behind play.

Not far fetched, any example could be used for debate, had Staker been knocked out cold, stretchered off, even had a fracture in there as well, i'm sure Hall would have recieved for more than the 6 he recieved, i mean 6 weeks is a big whack, and he copped it, as it was a deliberate blow with force, but with more damage, could have copped 8-10.

Gardiners forarm jab had some force, but not enough to do any damage, didn't even make his victim fall to the ground, just a slight stumble, if anything, it was as stupid as one of those tummy taps but slightly worse, i believe tummy taps only recieve a reprimand these days.

If i had the choice of which blow i was to cop, i'd take the Gardiner over Welsh blow any day of the week, Gardners was just a quick brain snap, Welsh lined his player up.

aker39
02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I would love to see some down the ground footage of the Welsh report, as well as a close up to see whether he made contact with the head.

Under the new rule (changed after the Maxwell case), if he made contact to the head, than he is wasting his time (and getting an extra week) going to the tribunal.

mighty_west
02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I would love to see some down the ground footage of the Welsh report, as well as a close up to see whether he made contact with the head.

Under the new rule (changed after the Maxwell case), if he made contact to the head, than he is wasting his time (and getting an extra week) going to the tribunal.

He made contact with the head alright, and has accepted the 1 week.

Lake is contesting, as he should, that report was a farce.

mighty_west
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM

There you go Aker, 2 frames, one frame before impact and contact, you can see Crouch's head tilt as Welsh's ahoulder hits flush with the side of his face, remember he has momentum going into the bump, had eyes on Crouch for [approx] 2 metres.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7165/p1010964r.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8480/p1010963p.jpg

aker39
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
There you go Aker, 2 frames, one frame before impact and contact, you can see Crouch's head tilt as Welsh's ahoulder hits flush with the side of his face, remember he has momentum going into the bump, had eyes on Crouch for [approx] 2 metres.

Thanks Mighty West.

That is pretty clear isn't it. Club made the correct decision to accept the 1 week.

mighty_west
02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Can't believe Welsh got a week for that, has the bump gone?

The bump to the head went out of the game after Byron Pickett kept lining players up, Aker also bumped a player, but to his body, and thats fine, as long as you don't strike the head.

mighty_west
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks Mighty West.

That is pretty clear isn't it. Club made the correct decision to accept the 1 week.

VEEEERY lucky to cop the 1, but had the good record, had he broken his cheek or jaw, i'm sure he would have copped a heavier suspension.

bornadog
02-06-2009, 02:09 PM
VEEEERY lucky to cop the 1, but had the good record, had he broken his cheek or jaw, i'm sure he would have copped a heavier suspension.

I am pretty sure there is similar bump Goodes inflicts in the third quarter on I think on griffo, after a boundary throw in. I need to go back on the tape.

Throughandthrough
02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Lake has challenged his verdict.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Lake has challenged his verdict.
Game on!

craigsahibee
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks Mighty West.

I can cop 1 week for that. Theoretically it should have been a free kick to Crouch, but too diificult for the umpire to adjudge where contact was made.

I'd be more disappointed if Welsh didn't try to lay the shepherd.

The "bumper" has a duty of care to make sure no contact is made to the head and the "bumpee" should be responsible for his own potection and not rely on the decision making of oppostion players on whether they will bump or not.

This was my argument when Gia collected Kosi. Whilst I applaud the authorities for cleaning up the game and eliminating acts of thuggery (Grinter style), I fear we are raising a generation of footballers who do not have the awareness skills needed to protect oneself out on the park. It only takes a split second to tense your body and prepare for the hit you are about to take and it's a skill that you acquire after playing the game as it's supposed to be played.

By "discouraging" the bump we are all deprived of one of the truly great skills of our game. Some of my greatest memories are of watching Steve Wallis lay perfect hip and shoulders.

Well done Welshy.

aker39
02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Brian Lake cleared

The Coon Dog
02-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Brian Lake cleared
Thanks Aker! Correct decision in my view. I spoke briefly with James Fantasia today & he was quietly confident that Brian would be cleared. He said the contact was with Brian's hip, not his foot.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Brian Lake cleared

Yep, it's great news - Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25572356-19742,00.html) reports...

Brian Lake also contested his charge at the tribunal tonight, having briskly had his tripping charge thrown out, enabling him to play in Friday night's game against Richmond.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Yep, it's great news - ...

Ditto that BB - great news indeed! It's rotten having anyone in your best 22 not available for selection.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Awesome news.

Remi Moses
02-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Agee with the decision nothing in that. As for Welsh little more in that than I first thought.

aker39
02-06-2009, 08:52 PM
He said the contact was with Brian's hip, not his foot.

That's exactly what happened.

I can't believe the MRP couldn't see that.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 09:06 PM
The golden boy Goodes threw around a few elbows and was his usual dirty self on the weekend

I'm sure if a 'blonde hair boy' had have executed Welsh's bump rather than Welsh the result may be different

Oh, well, gives Scotty another week to get angry in the gym and on the track...cant wait for him to kick 4 or 5 on Scarlett in the finals -;) ;-)

G-Mo77
02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
That's exactly what happened.

I can't believe the MRP couldn't see that.

Seriously, do they just guess?

Good to see something go our way!

KT31
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Sensational about Lakes report being over turned.

At the game we thought Welsh would be in a bit of strife.

Should work out OK if Murph is right to play.

boydogs
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Seriously, do they just guess?

Good to see something go our way!

Amateur hour. I don't understand why it takes two seperate bodies to look at an incident and make a decision, made even more ludicrous by the fact the second can overrule the first, thus deemed the higher authority, but in order to challenge the first one you have to risk receiving a higher penalty set by the first and not the second. Boggles the mind to think how many players have been unfairly suspended because the MRP got it wrong but the club did not want to risk the higher penalty.

To me Welsh's bump was a shepherd, Welsh was not off the ground and its just because Crouch is short that it was high. It was in play and the high contact was unintentional. His arm was tucked in, it was not an elbow or forearm that made contact just the shoulder. The umpire did not report him or even award a free kick in play, it is only the MRP that saw fit to penalise him. There is no retrospective free kick when the umpire misses it, but there is a retrospective report.

We can't ask the tribunal to adjudicate because the MRP will give him 2 weeks instead of 1 if the tribunal agrees with them for daring to doubt whether maybe just maybe the same misguided group that just suspended Lake incorrectly as determined by the tribunal may have gotten that one wrong too :mad:

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Good news on Brian, he is one of the best contested marks in the game and a rock in defence(bian fades aside)

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Lake Ftw!

strebla
02-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Great news maybe just the one change this week Welsh out and Bobby in

Sleeve1970
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Just shows you that he should not have been reported in the first place..........

lemmon
02-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Suffer in your jocks Riewoldt :p

Dancin' Douggy
02-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Thank God we've got someone to play on Schultz...........

AndrewP6
02-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Brian Lake cleared

Thank god they got it right for once. Tear 'em a new one, Lake!

The Coon Dog
02-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Anyone see the vision on One Week at a Time between Carlton & West Coast as the game started.

They showed Kerr & Thornton doing exactly the same thing. They even split the screen & the incidents were identical & occurred within seconds of each other.

Got me beat how one is cited by the MRP & the other not. :confused:

Rocco Jones
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Anyone see the vision on One Week at a Time between Carlton & West Coast as the game started.

They showed Kerr & Thornton doing exactly the same thing. They even split the screen & the incidents were identical & occurred within seconds of each other.

Got me beat how one is cited by the MRP & the other not. :confused:

You are obviously unfamiliar with the MRP's "WHEEL OF FATE!".

Mark Harvey and co. borrow it on Thursday nights for team selections and such.

http://www.blackdogleisure.co.uk/big_money_wheel/images/LV_big.jpg

An image supporting my joke.

firstdogonthemoon
02-06-2009, 11:47 PM

Comedy gold. No, comedy platinum!

comrade
02-06-2009, 11:53 PM

Also used by Peter Rhode around trade week circa 2003/2004.

boydogs
03-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Also used by Peter Rhode around trade week circa 2003/2004.

You're forgetting Nathan Brown when he borrowed it to help select a team to play finals with