Friday, June 5, 2009
7:40pm Kick off

Last time they met:
Bulldogs by 47 points
2009 Round 3 Western Bulldogs 16.14.110 d Richmond 8.15.63

Head to head:
Played 143 times - Richmond 75, Bulldogs 66, 2 draws

Finals record:
Don't really care about their finals record to be honest, lets just say Nathan Brown still hasn't played one at Tigerland despite leaving the Dogs to play finals footy, the Dogs have played finals in 2006 & 2008 in recent times, having played 5 finals in that time for 2 wins.

Form:
Winning form is good form, and going by that, both sides come into this game with good form under their belts despite the ladder positions.

Whilst the Bulldogs have been somewhat up & down with form throughout the season, still hold onto 3rd position with 6 wins & 4 losses, the game v Geelong a few weeks back, also on a friday night at Edihad showed that with the right intensity, should easily account for the Tigers, but at the same time, can also fluctuate in form through games, the Swans game last week was similar to the win against the Crows at AAMI Stadium, can burst open a game for a quarter or so, but then just take the foot off the pedal as well.

The Bulldogs kicked 13 goals in a row last week, only for the Swans to outscore the Dogs by 5 goals in the second half, they really need to become more consistant.

The suspensions of Scott Welsh & Brian Lake won't hurt the Tigers chances, having your full back & full forward missing can really unsettle the team balance, we all know how important a player Lake is to the side, plus Welsh finding very good form against the Swans with 4 majors, was a bad time for his own form to miss a game, especially with missing the first part of the season with injury.

The Dogs however have a good crop of youngers players in form, Callan Ward was very good last week in the midfield, also kicking 3 goals, Jarrod Harbrow gave the team good run out of defence, and is improving in the role week by week plus the form of Shaun Higgins, has been in terrific form, whilst Josh Hill was a bit down from recent weeks, has also been a live wire up forward and very hard to match up on given his vertical leap despite his lean frame.

Experienced players like Giansiracusa & Hahn who both really struggled earlier on, have both found very good form.

Under consideration:
Bulldogs : Williams & Murphy [if fit], Callan, Grant.

Key match-ups:

Picken v Deledio: Last time they played, Picken kept Lids under control, even roughing him up on occasions, has really been a suprise packet Picken, but Deledio also found some good form against the Dockers, probably the main reason why they came away with the win, was very good in the middle for the Tigers and broke away with some crucial centre breaks.

Morris v Morton : Whilst the Tigers don't have genuine key position forwards to look after, the likes of Morton & Riewold can be quite a handful, i have pencilled in Hargrave for Riewoldt, Morton whilst not being at the top of his game of late can just bob up with quick goals, will be one to watch, also kicked the match winning goal last week.

Harbrow v Nahas : This ex VFL player can be quite slippery, and i would imagine Harbrow will stand along side him, Timmy Callan could also be in for consideration for a game to take on Nahas.

Boyd v Cousins : Benny loves the big stage, whilst it seems as a miss match in terms of the game itself, it is afterall a friday night game, and with 25 touches and a goal last week, will be one to stop.

The Wallace sacking /quiting factor:
Not to sure what to make of this, we all know that for whatever reason, after a coach is sacked, that team somehow finds the talent & commitment & desire they never had throughout the season to somehow either squeeze out a win, or really take it up to the side they play, but Whilst Wallace is finishing, he will coach one last game for Richmond against us, agasinst his old team, will Richmond lift for that occasion?

Summary:
On paper, the Dogs look too good, all across the ground, although Lake & Welsh will be a loss for the Bulldogs, that could hurt and Richmond looked very good against the Dockers to record their second win for the season, although the Dockers looked very loose, they don't apply the same amount of pressure as the Dogs have over the season, if the Dogs apply the same pressure from the Geelong game, and the first half of last week, then it could be a very lop sided game.

We should also dominate the ruck work, Minson & Hudson have been in very good form, and just gone about their business, Troy Simmons has a big job, he will need a chop out from Pattison.

Dogs by 41

Mantis
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice preview mighty_west.

Just on the Riewoldt match-up you touched on, I would have thought we would use Hargrave on a smaller player like Brown or Pettifer and saved Tiller or Williams for Riewoldt. What was your thinking behind this one?

The midfield battle will be a good one, as bad as Richmond are or can be there midfield is consistently pretty good so our guys will need to be on their toes. In saying that if we apply the same sort of hardness and pressure as we have over the past couple of weeks we should be in for another good result.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Interesting. Great wrap up.

Morten, Nahas and Cousins. All their potential trump cards, not at Punt Road last year.

The Coon Dog
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Interesting. Great wrap up.

Morten, Nahas and Cousins. All their potential trump cards, not at Punt Road last year.

Am I right in assuming you're praising Terry Wallace's recruiting? ;)

bulldogtragic
01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Am I right in assuming you're praising Terry Wallace's recruiting? ;)
:) Thanks TCD, hadn;t thought of it that way.

Perhaps if Wallet wants to stay in footy he could be a consultant to teams looking to pick up annoying VFL players and dumped bad boys and stay away from trades and drafting...

But i would be paying some attention to Cotchin.

aker39
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Morton let the cat out of the bag by saying that he is allowed to play on if he is within 35m of goal.

Our defenders need to be aware of this and be ready to pounce.

The Underdog
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Nice work mighty west.
I'd imagine in the backline we'd let Tiller go to Riewoldt initially and Williams take Simmonds or Pattinson (assuming one goes forward). That leaves Shaggy, Morris and Harbrow to take Brown, Nahas and Pettifer. The loss of Lake's contested marking will be a big one for us down back, he could have really dominated this game with no Richo.
I think White's a good out for us, he hurt us with his pace and run and carry at times last time out although his kicking generally made up for it.
Any chance McMahon comes back to make it a really special game for Terry?
We should be able to beat them comfortably but they'll be up and about and Deledio, Cotchin, Cousins, Foley isn't the worst midfield we'll face this year.

If Murphy's fit he's the natural inclusion for Welsh as is Williams for Lake. Maybe if they want Callan in then Hill's the first out as he's struggled recently.

aker39
02-06-2009, 10:02 AM
^^^^^

The injury update in the Sun today says that Williams will not play.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
^^^^^

Everitt and Murphy then.

The Underdog
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
^^^^^

Said that about Hargrave last week too...
However if we have no Lake and no Williams who's next? Cam Wight ?:) Or do we just go Tiller and Morris on the talls?

Mantis
02-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Said that about Hargrave last week too...
However if we have no Lake and no Williams who's next? Cam Wight ?:) Or do we just go Tiller and Morris on the talls?

You would think that Everitt would be next in line.

The Underdog
02-06-2009, 10:25 AM
You would think that Everitt would be next in line.

Yeah I was being a bit cute suggesting Wight but Everitt hasn't really made a real strong case for a key defender spot so it could be an important week for him. BTW I still think Williams will play ;).

Mofra
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah I was being a bit cute suggesting Wight but Everitt hasn't really made a real strong case for a key defender spot so it could be an important week for him. BTW I still think Williams will play ;).
Everitt was very good on the weekend, and his kicking will really help our rebound from defence. Even with Gilbee not finding the same rythym as previous seasons, Harbrow, Hargrave & Everitt is some decent rebound ability.

The simplest way we will win is if we concentrate on our actions when we don't have the ball - we know Richmond don't use the ball particularly well, and if we chase & harrass and put the under pressure at every opportunity, we should force enough turnovers to make them pay on the scoreboard.

The Underdog
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Everitt was very good on the weekend, and his kicking will really help our rebound from defence. Even with Gilbee not finding the same rythym as previous seasons, Harbrow, Hargrave & Everitt is some decent rebound ability.

The simplest way we will win is if we concentrate on our actions when we don't have the ball - we know Richmond don't use the ball particularly well, and if we chase & harrass and put the under pressure at every opportunity, we should force enough turnovers to make them pay on the scoreboard.

I think with Cousins and Cotchin in now they have a couple more excellent ball users so we can't rely too much on that but you're right, we need to make sure we pressure them and force them into bad decisions. We need to carry on our intensity of the last couple of weeks.

Desipura
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
^^^^^

the same paper last week said Higgins has OP and will be out for 6 weeks! Also said Gilbee will be out.:rolleyes:
Gilbee is definately not right though, they way he was limping every time he ran to the bench was like an ageing player at twilight of his career (which he is not)

Mantis
02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Gilbee is definately not right though, they way he was limping every time he ran to the bench was like an ageing player at twilight of his career (which he is not)

The nature of Gilbee's injury means that he has a bit of trouble jogging, but feels no discomfort when he is running at pace.

I agree that he didn't look comfortable and if his injury hasn't improved I would be looking at giving him a rest.

aker39
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
The nature of Gilbee's injury means that he has a bit of trouble jogging, but feels no discomfort when he is running at pace.

I agree that he didn't look comfortable and if his injury hasn't improved I would be looking at giving him a rest.

We really need to make sure that we win our next 2 games before the break.

If the medical staff think he is ok, I think we should play him, he'll get a rest in a fortnight.

Sedat
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
The Wallace factor will be very interesting - is it a given that the players will 'do their all' for a coach that they will no longer report to from Saturday morning, and who a decent portion of the playing group wanted to chop 2 weeks ago? It's not as if an abject performance by the players on Friday night will matter in the slightest with regard to their future careers. And if Wallace and Richmond have decided to make a permanent parting, what can be achieved from one last game for the outgoing coach when he is already actively talking about the next phase of his profeessional career (one that won't involve senior coaching)? It's easy to assume that Richmond will come our breathing fire this week (and they very well might) but the opposite can't be discounted either.

In relation to the bigger picture, what incentive is there for Richmond to bang on 7-8 wins for the remainder of the season and miss out on prime positioning in the last semi-uncompromised draft for years, that according to the draft experts will be quality at the pointy end but lacking in depth?

From a purely logistical perspective, their travel back from Perth will be a factor late in the game. Conversely, the loss of our bookends for Friday night will leave little margin for error if we happen to cop any injuries on the night. Look at the Cats without Mooney 2 weeks ago for evidence of how the loss of just 1-2 players can have an adverse affect on the overall structure

Richmond certainly look a more accomplished unit in the middle than they did 8 weeks ago, with quality ball users of the calibre of Cousins and Cotchin in there to give Deledio and Foley a chop-out. Their forward line also has a better balance with hard-working smalls like Nahas ensureing the ball doesn't get out of their forward 50 with as much ease as it did previously. But the loss of Richo robs them of a genuine match-winner, one who has certainly proven to do so against the Dogs in the past.

As with most matches, it will be won and lost in the middle. If we can match the intensity of the last 2 weeks for the majority of the match, we should be able break the game apart and generate enough opportunities to kick a winning score. Having said that, Richmond are a pretty good team at the contested ball this season (led by Foley and Tuck). Our rucks are in better form (Minson leads the AFL in hitouts to advantage) so hopefully they can give our midfield first use.

Will be a fascinating game on many different levels.

Mantis
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Richmond certainly look a more accomplished unit in the middle than they did 8 weeks ago, with quality ball users of the calibre of Cousins and Cotchin in there to give Deledio and Foley a chop-out. Their forward line also has a better balance with hard-working smalls like Nahas ensureing the ball doesn't get out of their forward 50 with as much ease as it did previously. But the loss of Richo robs them of a genuine match-winner, one who has certainly proven to do so against the Dogs in the past.

As with most matches, it will be won and lost in the middle. If we can match the intensity of the last 2 weeks for the majority of the match, we should be able break the game apart and generate enough opportunities to kick a winning score. Having said that, Richmond are a pretty good team at the contested ball this season (led by Foley and Tuck). Our rucks are in better form (Minson leads the AFL in hitouts to advantage) so hopefully they can give our midfield first use.

There lack of a quality tall forward at present means that there is a heavy reliance on their medium sized forwards to kick a winning score. Over the past 18 months not too many teams with a smallish sized forwardline have tended to cause us much concern as players like Hargrave & Morris tend to come to the fore. Only really the Geelong game 2 weeks back did we see a couple of smallish players take a hold of us. I don't see Morton & Nahas being in the same class as S.Johnson & Stokes.

As suggested if our intensity standards set over the past 2 weeks are maintained and we can place pressure on the Richmond backs and mids we should be able to create enough turnovers to place Richmond under real pressure.

Agree with your thoughts on Minson and think that his perfomances over last 3 or 4 weeks have seen him pass Hudson as our most important and influential bigman.

aker39
02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Over the past 18 months not too many teams with a smallish sized forwardline have tended to cause us much concern as players like Hargrave & Morris tend to come to the fore. Only really the Geelong game 2 weeks back did we see a couple of smallish players take a hold of us. I don't see Morton & Nahas being in the same class as S.Johnson & Stokes.

Good points Mantis, and Hargrave didn't play in the Geelong game.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Under consideration:
Bulldogs : Williams & Murphy [if fit], Callan, Grant.

Now its:
Murphy,Callan,Grant,Reid,Skipper

Mofra
02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
As a slight aside, is the Wallace factor gong to make that much difference to the game once the siren sounds? There are senior players who often say that milestone games are just like any other once the game starts. Would the same rule apply on Friday night?

Factor aside, I really think as a team we are starting to hit our straps and will be too strong for Richmond. Our last two weeks have shown or form has improving from our first two months, and we will take the field with (arguably) a strionger side than last time, whilst Richmond have lost Richo who is possibly their most important player.

Mofra
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
As suggested if our intensity standards set over the past 2 weeks are maintained and we can place pressure on the Richmond backs and mids we should be able to create enough turnovers to place Richmond under real pressure.
I agree here; our intensity will be harder than last time we played them, against a side who can turn the ball over with regularity under normal pressure.

azabob
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
As a slight aside, is the Wallace factor gong to make that much difference to the game once the siren sounds? There are senior players who often say that milestone games are just like any other once the game starts. Would the same rule apply on Friday night?

Factor aside, I really think as a team we are starting to hit our straps and will be too strong for Richmond. Our last two weeks have shown or form has improving from our first two months, and we will take the field with (arguably) a strionger side than last time, whilst Richmond have lost Richo who is possibly their most important player.

I would think so, the first 10-15 mins should be hot in the kitchen type stuff, but as long as we put our heads over the ball and don't get sucked in we should be fine.

Mantis
02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I would think so, the first 10-15 mins should be hot in the kitchen type stuff, but as long as we put our heads over the ball and don't get sucked in we should be fine.

We now have a pretty mature side who have been able to gain some real solid experience over the past few years playing in 'big' games. I would expect us to come out showing a business as usual attitude on Friday night.

azabob
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
We now have a pretty mature side who have been able to gain some real solid experience over the past few years playing in 'big' games. I would expect us to come out showing a business as usual attitude on Friday night.

Yep I agree. Games against Richmond are always full of push and shove, mainly started by Richmond players so I guess they'll be doing that again.

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 11:24 AM
The Wallace factor will be very interesting - is it a given that the players will 'do their all' for a coach that they will no longer report to from Saturday morning, and who a decent portion of the playing group wanted to chop 2 weeks ago? It's not as if an abject performance by the players on Friday night will matter in the slightest with regard to their future careers. And if Wallace and Richmond have decided to make a permanent parting, what can be achieved from one last game for the outgoing coach when he is already actively talking about the next phase of his profeessional career (one that won't involve senior coaching)? It's easy to assume that Richmond will come our breathing fire this week (and they very well might) but the opposite can't be discounted either.

In relation to the bigger picture, what incentive is there for Richmond to bang on 7-8 wins for the remainder of the season and miss out on prime positioning in the last semi-uncompromised draft for years, that according to the draft experts will be quality at the pointy end but lacking in depth?

From a purely logistical perspective, their travel back from Perth will be a factor late in the game. Conversely, the loss of our bookends for Friday night will leave little margin for error if we happen to cop any injuries on the night. Look at the Cats without Mooney 2 weeks ago for evidence of how the loss of just 1-2 players can have an adverse affect on the overall structure

Excellent summary Sedat!

Personally I think that Richmond will come out breathing fire, even though the team and Terry may not be playing for each other, the players will know that the entire football world is watching and they will want to put on a good show. As you have outlined Sedat, Richmond are not a bad side and they have some very good quality running through the middle of the park!

We need to be awake in the first 10 minutes and make sure we do not allow the emotion of the game to get the better of us. We have a tendency to cop a few goals early and switch on after we are 4 down, this cannot happen on Friday night. I believe that if we break even after the first 10-15 minutes then we have the fire power all over the ground to do the job.

We can take much from the way Carlton dismantled Richmond in Rd1. They applied amazing defensive pressure, they man handling Richmond and killed them early, ensuring that they never recovered.

If we are anywhere near the level we showed against Geelong with our defensive pressure then Richmond dont stand a chance. In the last few weeks we have placed a huge emphasis on how apply ourselves when we dont have the ball, it no coincidence that the results follow. I've watched the Sydney game again and I have no doubt that it was our relentless pressure without the ball that opened the game up for us midway through the first.

Our work in the middle has not been matched by any side weve played so far, so I imagine we'll get some good ball out of the middle. Having Bobby back in the side is a massive plus and we are a far more cohesive unit when he is up and going.

Really looking to Griff to stand up this week and break the shackles, he has been a little sore for a few weeks and I think he's just about ready.

Richo being out is something we are not used to as this bloke has destroyed us on many ocassions. This gives us much flexability with how we use our backs, I imagine Shag and Morris will take Morton and Reiwolt, they can expect a very hard day in the office, leaving Lake to possibly play a hand up forward.

No mercy against these scumbags, Im looking for a similar 40+ point win after a close start to the game.

bulldogsman
03-06-2009, 02:54 PM
If were about even at half time we should run out the match a lot better, especially with the Perth factor.

Dogs by 40 points

lemmon
03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
If were about even at half time we should run out the match a lot better, especially with the Perth factor.

Dogs by 40 points

How big a factor will there playing at Subi last week be? It was a tough, bruising encounter and a few of their younger boys (Nahas, Riewoldt, Cotchin) would be feeling the pinch. Coughlan will return for them and his harder edge around the contests will be important, perhaps Cross could go to him?

azabob
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
How big a factor will there playing at Subi last week be? It was a tough, bruising encounter and a few of their younger boys (Nahas, Riewoldt, Cotchin) would be feeling the pinch. Coughlan will return for them and his harder edge around the contests will be important, perhaps Cross could go to him?

Is the Perth factor a factor anymore? We played Melbourne 6 days after the played in Perth and it didn't effect them really, maybe until the very end of the game.

Happy Days
03-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Is the Perth factor a factor anymore? We played Melbourne 6 days after the played in Perth and it didn't effect them really, maybe until the very end of the game.

I think you answered your own question ;)

bulldogsman
03-06-2009, 08:34 PM

We were rubbish in that Carlton game and only just got over the line against a pretty average kangaroos side. I would say it does, but not as much because teams are preparing better.

azabob
03-06-2009, 09:15 PM
We were rubbish in that Carlton game and only just got over the line against a pretty average kangaroos side. I would say it does, but not as much because teams are preparing better.

Stange that we have been rubbish against Carlton for the last 3 years.