PDA

View Full Version : The Addison Revolution

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Some of you will know that on the temporary board I named myself The Addison Revolution such is my belief that Dylan is going to be an amazing player, and feeling that with L.Gilbee being named All-Australian he no longer needed my support as GilboFan.

I had strong feelings that Lindsay Gilbee and Jordan McMahon were going to be guns- thats not to say my judgement of footballers is always right because I felt Michael Martin and Mark Alvey were going to be very good.

I felt Addison was sensational last year as a 1st year recruit in the VFL, was almost the first tiger tagged every week - he just gave the VFL team so much bite with his pace and agility around the ground. Immediately after the first intra club match Rocket commented that both Higgins and Addison would get opportunities in 2006. I thought he was handy in that intra club game without setting the world on fire and he far exceeded how good I thought he was going to be having come from suburban Sydney into the big leagues.

He played 1 hand game against the Crows, and 1 very accomplished game against Essendon last year and was then very unlucky not to play in the finals.

I feel like its time to start the Addison Revolution and the upside for him is enormous:

Ive seen none of the preseason, I am interested in those that have commentin on:
a) what type of form he has been in?
b) what role has he been used in? defence?
c) whether you that think he is going to be a gun?

Would be great to hear from some of the regular W-Tigers watchers

southerncross
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I feel like its time to start the Addison Revolution and the upside for him is enormous:

Ive seen none of the preseason, I am interested in those that have commentin on:
a) what type of form he has been in?
b) what role has he been used in? defence?
c) whether you that think he is going to be a gun?

Would be great to hear from some of the regular W-Tigers watchers

I tend to agree that he is an exciting player that might have initially slipped under the radar a bit. He has good size and has a good burst of pace and to top it of he is a spirited type that has a real go at it.

a) Not been overly noticeable and has struggled to get a spot in the pre-season. Performed OK at some of the training sessions I have seen.
b) Defence is where I would play him although he should develop into a versatile player.
c) It may take a couple of season but he should be a very good player.
I'm not sure that he be in the Cooney or Griffen class but he should be a very good player for us.

alwaysadog
06-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Opportunities might be a bit limited this year, unless we get a spate of injuries to our smaller players. Time is on his side, but from what I've seen he is years ahead of where I expected him to be.

Southern Cross comments that while he's exciting he's not a Coon or a Grif and I agree, but their game and strengths are not his. He's tough and determined and gives his all. There will always be places in any side for such a dedicated footballer who has the necessary ability and heaps of G & D.

Mofra
06-04-2007, 10:32 PM
He could be quite important as years go by, with the changing shape of our defence.

Harris, Wight, Everitt & Williams - these guys will form the core of our defence in the years ahead - we have to assume at least 3 will kick on and be available most weeks. The mid-sized group is quick enough to play on smalls (Hargrave, Morris) but we will still need 1-2 pure small defenders for versatility. Morris may also spend time in the middle as a pure tagger.

Gilbee will play of the HBF but not be too negating as his rebound is too important. Griff has already moved into the midfield, McMahon is used less in defence as well.

For mine, Addison could be the perfect attacking BP type - if someone tries to drag him into the middle, he has the speed and awareness to go with them. Can also play HBF and set the play up if need be, although I feel there will be too much competition for him to take a regular wing spot.

Bulldog Revolution
07-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I tend to agree that he is an exciting player that might have initially slipped under the radar a bit. He has good size and has a good burst of pace and to top it of he is a spirited type that has a real go at it.

a) Not been overly noticeable and has struggled to get a spot in the pre-season. Performed OK at some of the training sessions I have seen.
b) Defence is where I would play him although he should develop into a versatile player.
c) It may take a couple of season but he should be a very good player.
I'm not sure that he be in the Cooney or Griffen class but he should be a very good player for us.

Cheers Southerncross, I figured he had been quieter than I had hoped for.

Thats a shame he has not hit the ground in top form in the pre-season. My hope was that he would continue on the upward curve from last year and that he would basically prove impossible not to pick. He may still do that, but most guys do not just hit the ground running in the AFL, and many have periods where they struggle, are dropped, or out of form etc.

Its always difficult to project how good a player will be based on their early form. I rated Daniel Cross, Jordan McMahon and Lindsay Gilbee very highly the moment I saw them, but could see with their bodyshapes that they were going to take time. At times many supporters lost belief in their ability. I think Addison has some of the qualities of Cross in that he just seems to accumulate a lot of the ball playing for the W-Tigers. Like Cross I am not sure he is that flashy but a very effective player. He seems to me more a wingman, rebounding defender type that an onballer, he seems to play primarily for the Tigers on the wing.

bornadog
07-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I felt Michael Martin and Mark Alvey were going to be very good.

After Alvey's knee injury, he was never the same player. I thought he was going to be very good for us too, he was almost as good a kick as Gilbee is, but due to bad luck he never really recovered. I notice he is playing up the bush in the Sunraysia district.

I also have a high opinion on Addison, with his pace, he could run off the backline, allowing a McMahon to play further up the field or in the mid field. Its just a matter of getting an opportunity.

alwaysadog
08-04-2007, 08:29 AM
After Alvey's knee injury, he was never the same player. I thought he was going to be very good for us too, he was almost as good a kick as Gilbee is, but due to bad luck he never really recovered. I notice he is playing up the bush in the Sunraysia district.

I also have a high opinion on Addison, with his pace, he could run off the backline, allowing a McMahon to play further up the field or in the mid field. Its just a matter of getting an opportunity.

Mark Alvey's back with Wentworth where he originally came from.

southerncross
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Alvey was just to damn small and just couldn't build himself up physically.
Martin had plenty of ability but the back injury really wrecked him.

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Alvey was just to damn small and just couldn't build himself up physically.
Martin had plenty of ability but the back injury really wrecked him.

Alveys size was always an issue, but before the knee he was at least quick enough, without being exceptionally quick, and he was an exceptional kick at times. The talk seemed to be that Martins attitude held him back after injury and was the reason he was traded to Brisbane.